Jan

Wrapping up December

Now that the holidays are over, we would like to take a post to wrap up December, by far the most successful month in RAB’s 22-month history. With Mike and Joe in Vegas and the Yanks’ signings of A.J. Burnett, CC Sabathia and Mark Teixeira, traffic boomed in December. We received nearly 460,000 unique visitors and over 700,000 page views, eclipsing our previous high by nearly 275,000 page views. We’ve had a lot of great conversations and a lot of baseball debate. As the Yanks look to finalize their roster and prepare for the 2009 season, we’ll be here for every step of the ride. So thanks for visiting, and keep on coming back for more.

1. pat says:

I dunno if you guys discussed this or not, but IMO pete abe is isntituting commenter registration to try and increase the quality of commenting to try and be on par with RAB. He might get a few more hits that you guys but everything else is far inferior substance-wise and comment-wise.

• The registration process alone should weed out a lot of the idiots, as they’d be incapable of filling out any form that doesn’t have picture translations on it like a McDonalds menu.

What he should really do is have a literacy test, complete with spelling, punctuation, and grammar. There’s definitely a correlation between rational thought and the ability to write in complete sentences.

• A.D. says:

I for one like the RAB commenter system the way it is. I might never had started commenting if I had to register and fill out forms.

• Ryan S. says:

Yeah, I like it this way as well. Pete is going to lose quite a few random commenters probably if he does that. The problem with LoHud is how unwieldy the damn thing is though, with just a bunch of comments one after the other. I was a little weirded out by RAB’s forums at first but its actually really cool, how you can easily go back and forth amongst the various discussions that pop up on a given thread.

Unless Pete totally copies RAB’s format, he doesn’t have a chance of nurturing the type of discussions that this place does. I bet he’s just doing it so he can more easily block people he doesn’t like from pointing out that he’s wrong sometimes, and fat all the time.

2. Craig says:

Can somebody help me out I’m drawin a blank, who is our back-up infielder this year?

3. Manimal says:

Does a page view count as me pressing the reload button alot? In that case all those page views were me LOL

4. Should be working says:

You guys put out a good product. So thank you. I stumbled onto LoHud first, and then found you guys a little bit after and havent looked back since. Your insights plus those of the community are top notch and make for a great discussion place. Long live RAB.

• Mike Pop says:

RAB will soon rule the blogworld!

• I Remember Celarino Sanchez says:

I actually like both sites!

I like PeteAbe’s insight as a beat reporter. I like the RAB guys for their great analysis and prolific posting. Two different skill sets, if you will.

The comments in RAB tend to me smarter and less hostile than at PeteAbe’s blog, but there are a handful of PeteAbe commenters who really know their stuff. Almost makes it worth wading through all the idiots there!

• Ryan S. says:

Same here. I visit LoHud every day and read Pete’s posts, but I completely ignore the comments section. Its a waste of time sharing my thoughts there – it feels like such a tight little crowd that gossips about non-Yankee stuff all the time.

RAB is a much more well structured and disciplined site in terms of nurturing intellectual baseball conversation. I’m still surprised at how many smart readers there are. I’m always just as interested to see what the regulars around here have to say as what Ben, Joe, and Mike all think.

• whozat says:

I used to post there a lot, before I found this site, and before it got overrun by morons. What started to bother me were the random people who’d cycle through, all make the same uneducated comments, and then either not stick around to hear why they’re wrong OR not even bother to listen when four different people explain to them why their points make no sense. And there are a couple of regulars over there who are willfully, aggressively ignorant. It’s aggravating.

There are still a couple people there who I’d like to see over here. SJ44, mostly.

5. A.D. says:

460,000 unique visitors… impressive, you guys have any #’s on the total number of posters?

6. Mike Pop says:

You guys really dominated that month of December.

(Cue tommiesmithjohncarlos a/k/a Ridiculous Upside)

7. A.D. says:

Free agent OFs are starting to sign…

8. Mike Pop says:

Wow, Burrell only gets 16 and Bradley gets 30.

• A.D. says:

Well 8 vs 10 mil a year and near 40 pt difference in OPS+ last year

• Mike Pop says:

Ya but Bradley’s injury risk, the fact that he played in Texas, and he is better suited as a DH seems like the two players should of signed with each other’s teams. Bradley would be better suited for the AL is my main poiint.

• I anticipate a massive course correction in Milton Bradley’s numbers.

• A.D. says:

I though you were just referring to the pure money, but yeah Bradley in outfield for the Cubs all year is going to be interesting, especially if its center.

• Mike Pop says:

Funny that Burrell ends up with the Rays though. Its a perfect match but its just funny he ends up there since the W.S. was between his two teams. DIdnt Philly offer him 22 and he turned it down? He ends up with less but maybe he wanted to go to a better team, if the Rays are indeed better than the Phils.

9. Pastafarian says:

Since January is here I have one question to ask and that is:

Ok so I have no idea if any one has mentioned this before, but is there any possibility of the Yankees making a trade for Orlando Hudson?

I only decided to bring this topic up b/c of its recent discussion on the Hot Stove of the new MLB Network. They said three teams are interested in his services: one the Mets, the second the Yankees, and the third was either the DBacks or the Giants (but I can’t remember). They said the Yankees would possibly make the move by either trading Cano (which I do not support) and play Hudson at second or trade other people within the team and move Hudson to Centerfield which could possibly mean they move Melky and/or Gardner.

What do you guys think…. honestly I have no preference but his numbers are so so. Over 7 seasons he’s only hit 68 homers, has averaged .282 BA, and 372 RBI. I say no only b/c it seems like we would have to give up too much for an average player, but please tell what you think if you disagree.

Thanks!!!

• Mike Pop says:

Well Hudson is a FA so we wouldnt have to trade for him, we would just have to show him the money. Stick with Cano, let Hudson go wherever he goes.

• UWS says:

No, there isn’t any possibility of the Yankees making a trade for Orlando Hudson. Not least because he’s a free agent.

• By his noodly appendage, I sincerely hope not. I want no part of paying Orlando Hudson any contract of any significance in either length or dollars, and Cano is flat out untouchable..

• Pastafarian says:

My bad thought they said the Yankees would need to trade for him.

• Mike Pop says:

I think he might end up as a Met. We have not heard bout any offers, so maybe Mets can swoop in and get him for cheap after they sign Randy Wolf or Perez for cheaper than Lowe.

• A.D. says:

No reason to give a gold glove 2b a bunch of money to go and play CF, that would be a terrible plan.

Only reason to do this if the Yanks could get a king’s ransom from Cano, which won’t happen.

10. Kevin G. says:

Great site guys. Also, is there going to be a fantasy baseball league this year?

11. Kevin G. says:

MLB Network will be covering the Teixeira signing for those of you who don’t know. It will probably also be on YES.

12. 'The' Steve says:

Congrats, congrats, congrats, guys. Love the site and glad to see it doing well.