Feb

SI: A-Rod tested positive in ’03

According to a report in Sports Illustrated, four independent sources have confirmed to Selena Roberts and David Epstein that Alex Rodriguez tested positive for anabolic steroids in 2003 and was subsequently tipped off to a drug test the following year. Needless to say, this will create some media circus for the Yanks and A-Rod in the coming weeks.

Roberts, a former Times columnist, and Epstein, a long-time SI staff writer, got a hold of what should have been a sealed list. The government just hasn’t been very good at keeping a lid on confidential information during this largely unnecessary steroid investigation. But what’s done is done, and the news does not sound good for A-Rod’s image. The two write:

In 2003, when he won the American League home run title and the AL Most Valuable Player award as a shortstop for the Texas Rangers, Alex Rodriguez tested positive for two anabolic steroids, four sources have independently told Sports Illustrated.

Rodriguez’s name appears on a list of 104 players who tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs in Major League Baseball’s ’03 survey testing, SI’s sources say. As part of a joint agreement with the MLB Players Association, the testing was conducted to determine if it was necessary to impose mandatory random drug testing across the major leagues in 2004.

When approached by an SI reporter on Thursday at a gym in Miami, Rodriguez declined to discuss his 2003 test results. “You’ll have to talk to the union,” said Rodriguez, the Yankees’ third baseman since his trade to New York in February 2004. When asked if there was an explanation for his positive test, he said, “I’m not saying anything.”

According to the report, A-Rod tested positive for increased testosterone levels and for Primobolan, a hard-to-detect designer steroid that minimizes what Roberts and Epstein termed “bulk development.” In other words, there’s no Jason Giambi/Barry Bonds effect in play with Primobolan.

At this point, I have to assume that A-Rod has passed numerous drug tests and has been clean, but this story will still be a P.R. disaster because of a subsequent development in 2004. After A-Rod’s failed test as a member of the Rangers in 2003, he may have been warned in 2004 when, as a Yankee, his name popped up on the testing rolls again. Reportedly, A-Rod is the unnamed player whom Gene Orza, COO of the players union, was accused of tipping off to an impending drug test in 2004. Si reports:

According to the 2007 Mitchell Report on steroid use in baseball, in September 2004, Gene Orza, the chief operating officer of the players’ union, violated an agreement with MLB by tipping off a player (not named in the report) about an upcoming, supposedly unannounced drug test. Three major league players who spoke to SI said that Rodriguez was also tipped by Orza in early September 2004 that he would be tested later that month. Rodriguez declined to respond on Thursday when asked about the warning Orza provided him.

Who knows what this will do to the Yankees? Who knows what this will do A-Rod and his reputation? People tolerated A-Rod because everyone always just assumed he was clean. At this point, it’s hard to believe that any player was truly off steroids. For the sake of the Yanks, I hope this blows over, but I, for one, am not too optimistic.

Categories : STEROIDS!

1. Jonathan says:

Its going to be a long spring training for Arod this year

• Jay CT says:

Spring training? Its going to be a long SEASON now for ARod. This is going to be under his skin bigtime. Shit. This sucks.

2. This is, of course, exactly how I wanted to wake up.

Uh – oh.

3. Manimal says:

uh ohhhh. Another season of Steroid drama going into spring training.

4. msf says:

i’m going to sleep now and hope that when i wake up it’ll be april 4th

5. Mike A. says:

Well, at least he wasn’t a Yankee in 2003.

6. Marc says:

Ahhh this will just blow over…Who reads SI anyhow??

7. money says:

this leaves a bad taste my mouth

• RustyJohn says:

Who cares? This is a great example of why you should never talk to police or prosecutors. But for Barry Bonds’ giant ego and lying on the stand this would never be an issue. Why should I care what someone put in their body? Think I’ll cheer harder for ARod and Michael Phelps this year.

Lie about drugs=bad. Lie about war, bank bailouts, spending a trillion dollars, and everything else=good in the government’s eyes.

8. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

I think that you guys (Mike, Joe and Ben), should go on a quest to out the name of the 4 “sources”.

9. Dave says:

It’s like waking up and learning your favorite singer or actor just died. Ummm…how long til opening day?? That’s it, with this guys nerves. he’s done. So much for having a clean legit player take over as homerun king. Ayy. Still am amazed no Redson player has been named.

10. Manimal says:

My dad is so dumb.
    Me:Dad did you hear about Arod?
    Him:Yeah I did, but here’s the thing. EVERYBODY took steroids back then, it was unrestrained.
    Me:Dad, 5% tested positive for using PED’s.
    Him:Like I said, Everybody.

11. Adam says:

i literally feel sick. not because i care whether he cheated or not (i don’t), but because i was hoping a baseball season where we can talk about, i don’t know, baseball.

12. Yank Crank says:

This will never blow over. There goes the excitement of watching a “clean” Yankee break the all time home run record

13. Matt says:

Fuck.

And of course every single shot of him on SportsCenter just now was wearing a Yankee uniform…

This sucks.

14. William says:

If true, it definitely sucks. Although I rarely don’t care who took steroids in 2003, especially as MLB didn’t even care enough to explicitly ban them at that time, the media circus is going to be incredibly annoying. At least C.C. and Tex wont have to worry about being overexposed.

Regardless of the validity of this report, I really hope Arod takes legal action against the government for leaking this confidential information as well as SI for reporting it (it is legal to disseminate leaked confidential information). Also, when MLB sits down to negotiate with the owners and finds a complete lack of trust, I hope they wont be too surprised.

• Jesse G. says:

My guess is that ARod would have a ridiculously difficult time winning any kind of lawsuit over the leaks. The Federal Government has sovereign immunity, which is very difficult to overcome. I think to do so he would need to show that the leaks were motivated by actual malice. But if others know this area of law better I am happy to be corrected.

• William says:

The government is not immune from following the law. If this information was obtained illegally, then Arod would definitely have recourse against all involved. The question is whether Arod wants to open a pandora’s box.

• Jesse G. says:

All I am saying is that while the leaking of sealed information is illegal, it is up to the DOJ to prosecute it. On the other hand, the sovereign immunity question comes in if ARod tries to bring any kind of civil action because government officials generally have qualified immunity and the government itself has sovereign immunity so that it is a tough road to hoe.

15. Mike Z says:

There is only one way to get this stench off the Yankee team.
    Sign Manny now. Just kidding…..Or am I.

16. Ams223 says:

A-Roid anybody

17. mike g. says:

i read this on my blackberry while on the throne this morning and i literally crapped.

we don’t need this. he didnt need this. but the lynch mob/witch hunt has begun. our favorite mentally unbalanced third baseman is going to crumble.

the question is, while the bronx back him up?

i don’t know.

18. YankInBeantown says:

nooooooooooooooo!!

19. Jesse G. says:

I have to admit, I just can’t get worked up about steroids. I can get worked up about people lying about whether they took steroids, especially under oath, but it just doesn’t bother me. Especially back then since the 5% likely a small fraction of those who were really using (given that many used undectable substances). Additionally, where do we want to draw the line with regard to people getting by on talent and training? I mean if the objection to steroids is a level playing field than it is a silly objection because it was never a level playing field. To get that we would have to restrict the number of hours guys could train so that some players couldn’t get an unfair advantage. We would have to ban any kind of performance enhancing substance for omega-3 fatty acids to creatine to virtually anything with the word supplement in it. It just doesn’t make sense to me.

I guess the long and short of it is that stopping at steroids, amphetamines, coffee, or anything else is largely an arbitrary line in the sand. If people are honest about that but have very strong and compelling reasons why steroids are the line we should draw than I am very happy to hear them and be convinced. But thus far, I have not been.

20. donttradecano says:

ben is right this isnt a bulking agent…heres the summary from steroid.com
    “Although nobody would ever suggest to use Primobolan as a bulking agent, it´s been studied as an agent to halt wasting and possibly reverse many of the adverse effects of anemia. It is a shocking failure in both areas, according to some of the case studies I´ve read, (5)(6) and this should come to no surprise to anyone. Anadrol reigns supreme in this area, and nobody in the athletic community would ever compare those two drugs. However, Michael Mooney and many other respected doctors who work with AIDS patients have found sufficient evidence to claim that Primobolan is an immune enhancer and as such is very useful for AIDS patients (not that the FDA cares…Primobolan is still not approved for sale in the United States). AIDS patients aren´t really in need of Bulking Drugs, so an immune enhancer like Primo which will add small, quality gains in muscle is perfect for them. And since we aren´t even going to vaguely consider the use of Primobolan as a bulking agent, clearly this leaves us with considering it primarily for use in gaining and maintaining lean tissue. It´s a great choice for this purpose, and many competitors have used it very successfully to retain muscle while on a calorie reduced diet. The reason Primo is so useful for this purpose is that one of its primary functions is to help your body retain nitrogen (7) at a greatly enhanced rate. The greater your nitrogen retention is, the more muscle you will build. In the case of using primo as a pre-contest drug, this nitrogen retention will help you retain muscle and ensure that your dieting preferentially favors fat loss over muscle loss.”

21. Jon says:

I can’ believe his. My heart is broken…my favorite player of all time.
    Everything ruined. I could cry.

22. Rich says:

At least now there is another baseball story divert attention from Torre’s book…

23. Vader says:

Why does anyone care about this stuff!!!!!!

Does anyone really think that only 5% of the players took PED’s…it was more like 5% did not take them. Manimal your father is right.

It’s not like no one in any other sport took PED’s either.

• Mike Pop says:

Because he could go down as the best player ever. This is the last thing the Yankees need. :(

• Lanny says:

Open your eyes. EVERY pro athlete is on something. And why shouldn’t they be? You really think 330lb football players can run 5 sec 40′s? You think every NBA player isn’t looking to get in better condition and get quicker and jump higher?

24. pat says:

This fucking sucks I just want to watch somw goddamn baseball now we have to deal with this shit everywhere we go. Fuck all those cocksuckers at SI nobody cares about steroids anymore.

• RichYF says:

Agreed.

I didn’t care when it was Bonds, Giambi, whoever, and I still don’t care.

I want baseball not drama. If I wanted drama I’d fucking watch TNT.

25. bill says:

I have a big problem with this.

They should demand who Epstein received this information from that was suppose to be sealed.

If Epstein does not give up the source he should go to jail like Bonds trainer had to.

There cant be two set of rules just because he is a reporter and if it was government source they should that person on trial.

Baseball has a union for a reason.

the test was done before there were any adjustments made on the agreement they had with the owners.

26. Alex says:

when he breaks the record, no one will care about this anymore… rite??

27. Steve H says:

Is this Epstein character related to Theo?

28. Mike A. says:

A-Rod, I still love you.

29. Mike W. says:

If A-Rod does not own up to it, does he get the McGwire treatment and have people start questioning the HOF?

This is going to be ugly….

• Steve O. says:

No way, A-Rod is probably going to be the Home Run King. That said, Is Barry Bonds going to get snubbed for the HOF? No chance in hell. Mcgwire obviously was taking steroids thoughout his career. His HR to AB ratio was ridiculous, especially later in his career. 32 HRs in 236 ABs, nuff’ said.

30. theswingingdicks says:

Does anyone else find it strange that this story emerges right at the start of Spring Training and on the heels of Torres backstabbing book? SI is ‘fixing’ the Yankees for Selig and Co. for their wild spending of their own money to improve their club.Unheard of.

31. Nick says:

Are people seriously defending this douchebag? Despicable.

• Steve H says:

Nick, who are your favorite players, and show me proof that they are clean. Nobody is above suspicion (and I would have said that before today). There is evidence of steroid use in sports going back almost 50 years. Nobody can be assumed clean and “clean” tests don’t prove anything either.

• Nick says:

When their names come out, you can say that.

And PLEASE don’t act like this is the first offense from this nutjob. I don’t know what I will do with myself if this fanbase sticks their heads up their asses like the Giants fans did.

• Steve H says:

Giants fans SHOULD root for Barry Bonds, unless they object to him being a total asshole. Baseball players use steroids. If Bonds hit an HR off a a juiced Eric Gagne, should they not cheer? The playing field was level.

• Arman Tamzarian says:

Why is he a douche bag? Becuase he 1) tried to make himself better? or 2) tried to keep up with everyone else who was doing it?

• I Remember Celerino Sanchez says:

Nick, I agree.

A Rod has been nothing but a me-first, divisive distraction since he has been here. It’s always about him. I just don’t believe it’s a coincidence that teams do better when he leaves.

I get killed on this board whenever I say something negative about A Rod. But I just can’t stand having to root for him.

I’ve been a Yankee fan since pretty much birth (thanks to my dad, who was a huge fan), and I live and die with the team, so I’m never happy when anything happens that negatively affects their chances to win. But I would be lying if I didn’t say that I got some enjoyment when I saw this story. I’m so sick of Yankee fans giving A Rod a pass.

Can we all just agree that A Rod is a fabulously talented, immensely productive player who also is a selfish, self-righteous, fails-when-it-counts prima donna? Both sides of the coin can be true.

32. r.w.g. says:

If this is true, not really sure what to think.

I’d assume he’s been clean for the past several seasons.. but if he’s getting tipped off to drug testing once, he could have been tipped off more than once. I’d assume though that he hasn’t been using recently, at least during the season, because a lot of those steroids stay in your system for several months so even with a heads up it would be tough to beat a test.

Jose Canseco named Alex and everybody said he was lying and just out for money. Only half true, it seems. Makes me believe Canseco about Magglio, too.

33. LC says:

why weren’t the other 103 names leaked too?

I can just hear curt schilling typing furiously and unforgivingly into his blog about how the game should be played cleanly and he played the ws with a bloody ankle blah blah blah.

This story really sucks. You guys should do a poll of who stands behind A-Rod in this and who doesn’t

• Steve H says:

Yeah, 104 names and one gets leaked. I’m sure the rest were all small time players too, no other HOF’s and All-Stars…..

I still can’t believe the Red Sox have never, ever, had a player use steroids.

• Rich says:

Given Paxton Crawford’s comments, it’s a virtual certainty that Sox players have used PEDs.

• Steve H says:

Oh, I was being sarcastic. In fact, Big Papi fits the steroid profile to a T. 20 HR’s in his first 800 ab’s, then he becomes a beast at 27 and his body is breaking down at 32.

• Mike Pop says:

Ya, I really think Papi was/is a roider. No way he could improve that much because of Manny and Fenway alone.

• Lanny says:

I’d be shocked to hear that any Sox wasn’t using. I’d be shocked to hear any pro athlete wasn’t doing something.

If using was the difference between a 50 mill contract and the minors wouldn’t you use?

• bobtaco says:

It’s obvious. Bet Selig will fight to keep that cat in the bag though.

• Thomas says:

They has Gagne and Donnelly (who has cheated in multiple ways), that has got to count for something.

• Mike A. says:

The other 103 names weren’t leaked because they weren’t A-Rod.

34. Arman Tamzarian says:

Does this give more credence to the “everyone was doing it” crowd?

35. bkight13 says:

I swear when the ESPN lead came on and said ARod had tested positive for….. there was a pause and the first thing that came to mind was HIV. I was ready to scream. When they said roids in 2003, I was actually relieved.

It sounds like Primo is more of vanity type drug, to get cut without the bulk. I can definitely see Alex caring more about appearance than performance.

36. usty says:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

37. LC says:

I think the developers of MLB’10 The Show should put in a feature where your player gets to choose whether to take drugs or not. If you test positive the story gets leaked and you’re screwed for life. Yay real life

38. donttradecano says:

everyone is quoting this story as the gospel, when they dont know 1) if its true 2) why wasnt the other 103 names revealed.

39. Joseph P. says:

Things to remember when debating steroids:

1) Some people just don’t care about who used steroids, because we’ll never be able to find out all of the players who did it. It doesn’t mean that they’re not bad for the sport. It means that MLB is on top of the drug issue right now (or at least they appear to be), and we’re going to leave this in the past.

2) Some people are morally outraged at this, and think that everything a fingered player does is now irrelevant.

I swear, I do not want to see any name-calling or flame wars between these two groups. You each have your positions, and no one’s is likely to change.

• Arman Tamzarian says:

Are you telling me I only have one of two sides to take! Them’s fightin’ words

• Jon says:

Why do you think its ok for you to tell everyone what to think? I don’t care if you own the site or not, the readers are the ones that keep it going. Stop trying to censor peoples opinions!

Go ahead and ban me if you like there are 100000 other sites just like this one.

Get off your high horse!

40. officially done says:

I am officially done with steroids….I don’t want to know who took them…I no longer care…I am disgusted…and I am starting to look down on people reporting it…I don’t want to know of anyone else who took them….unless they were on the red sox…This is BS b/c those should have been sealed and I’m sorry who ever is leaking the information needs to be penalized.I bet theres only a small group of people w/ access so start with them. Thats how done I am with this I would much rather see the reporters rather than bonds/clemens or other players go to jail

41. Steve H says:

Giants fans SHOULD root for Barry Bonds, unless they object to him being a total asshole. Baseball players use steroids. If Bonds hit an HR off a a juiced Eric Gagne, should they not cheer. The playing field was level.

42. Mike Pop says:

We can never catch a break.

43. Marcus says:

I don’t see the big deal about players using Steroids. These guys are already so huge, because they work out all day their entire lives. All this does is add a small amount of extra muscle to a game where its all mental and mechanics.

Steroids is the most over-blown crock of sh** ever.

Long live Bonds and A-Rod.

44. Mike Pop says:

I might cry.

45. usty says:

About the only thing I want to read now is that David Ortiz’ name is on the list too. This totally sucks. I’m crushed, not even that I care about steroids, just that it’s now impossible for me to defend my favorite player to the hoardes of dumbass Yankee fans now.

• Jon says:

I feel exactly the same way. I usually wouldn’t wish harm on anyone, but if there is a Red Sox player that cheated, PLEASE let that story come out!

No matter what though, this ruins Arod forever. His legacy is destroyed. His records will be looked at as false.

I hope Alex finds a way to handle this. A guy as sensitive as everyone says he is, this could be dangerous territory for him. I’m literally worried about the guy.

46. john says:

OK, this is a bummer. But Arod shouldn’t be held out to take the abuse to come all by himself. The entire list or 103 names needs to be published now so that baseball fans can see all the names involved.

47. Mike Pop says:

We gotta burn down that lab in Cali.

48. whocares says:

i don’t care a rod is still my boy. still love the yanks and still have a man crush on A-Rod

49. Mike Pop says:

He told Katie Couric he didn’t do it.

50. Hank Steinbrenner says:

Ben,

I love your work man, your an amazing writer, but I almost fell out of my chair when you opined the possibility that this might “blow over.” Dude, we’re gonna have to deal with this shit for the next 9 years of his contract!!!

No matter where he goes, or what he does, people will ALWAYS bring up the steroids issue…always. And this is WORSE than Barry Bonds because Bonds was never hated the way A Rod is – this sitauation is liking throwing kerosine onto an already burning fire.

Oh yea, and lets see how Arods “head” handles this. The guy is a certified head-case and cant even handle playing baseball once the calendar reaches October, WHO THE FUCK IS HE GOING TO BE ABLE TO HANDLE BEING CONSTANTLY ABUSED, 24/7. FOR THE DURATION OF THE ENTIRE SEASON….FOR THE NEXT 9 YEARS!

JESUS CHRIST!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

P.S. you can kiss the Hall of Fame goodbye

• LC says:

I used to think that A-Rod would get into the hall of fame unanimously. I used to think that some people would knock him for his “unclutchness” or the way he was such a headcase. But i thought that in the end, every writer in the BBWAA (if there still is a BBWAA in 14 years) would vote for him because of what he brought to teams talent-wise.

Now, his record before 2003 is that much more tarnished and who knows if it will affect voters. I think it will, but he’ll still get into the HOF

51. pat says:

Lets just hope manny, ortiz shilling or some other prominent redsock made the list. This is such bullshit, they get their hands on a list of players and oly reveal one of them. This just makes me so unbelievably anrgy.

52. E-ROC says:

*UCK! is the first word that came to mind when I saw this report. I suspect the trolls will be flooding Yankee sites for a long time. *Sighs*

53. whocares says:

whats really gonna rock the world is when people find out about tiger woods and roids.

54. billbybob says:

What’s worse? Sleeping with Madonaa(ewwww) or taking steroids?

55. BillyBall says:

LOL. Great. How much more can I hate this guy. He has been an embarrassment since he became a Yankee. Get rid of this albatross now. No more excuses from you A-Fraud lovers. Your like those zombies that followed Obama around and believe he is the messiah. A-Rod is nothing but a self absorbed athlete. True Yankee fans, blue collared fans cannot stand this joke.

P.s. For all of you band wagon fans that attacked Jeter and defended A-Fraud. Grow up and smell the roses. You had to know this was coming. The guy is a walking roid. Amazingly, I think it was in the back of his head that one day it would come out.

• Rick in Boston says:

So I’m not a true Yankee fan because I like A-Rod? What happens if Jeter’s name is on that list of 103 other guys who tested positive?

• Steve H says:

If Jeter’s name is on it, you know what will happen. The A-Rod bashers will still bash A-Rod, and say Jeter only juiced because of his love for the game, he just wanted to get better and win. A-Rod juiced for his stats, Jeter for the rings.

• Steve H says:

Were the 2 MVP’s embarrassing?

• Rick in Boston says:

Or the fact that this ballclub doesn’t make it to the playoffs in ’07 without him?

• Joseph P. says:

This is why this news sucks. Not because one of our players was outed. Because it’s only going to widen the gap between the guys who like A-Rod because he’s a good baseball player, and those who hate him because of all the psychological issues they attribute to him.

The only people’s whose opinions could change from this are those who loved A-Rod because he didn’t use PEDs. From what I’ve seen, most of the A-Rod fans, myself included, don’t criticize players for taking steroids.

• I Remember Celerino Sanchez says:

Actually, yes.

I think real Yankee fans can like A Rod, and real Yankee fans should want him to succeed, because it’s good for the team.

But I consider myself a real fan and I am not afraid to say I don’t enjoy rooting for A Rod. I didn’t care that he won the MVPs. Personal awards. The early playoff exits, with A Rod sucking, were not really worthy of my pride.

I hope A Rod has a monster year. I just think it would be more fun to cheer for other guys.

• Joseph P. says:

This is the most reasonable anti-A-Rod position I’ve ever heard. Hats off, Sanchez.

• The Honorable Congressman Mondesi says:

I agree with you and that’s how I feel. I want A-Rod to be amazing, and I root for him and wear an A-Rod t-shirt and all that… But I do those things because I want the Yankees to be amazing. It’s not because I like A-Rod. I wish I liked him more, but I just don’t. One reason I don’t “like” him that the A-Rod fans will understand: I’m just tired of the negative stories, the rip-jobs, all the shit that comes along with having A-Rod on the team. Whether it’s right for people (here I mean writers/players/baseball people) to dislike A-Rod or not, they do, and this shit is never going to end with him. I just wish I could enjoy a baseball season without all the A-Rod drama. But he’s here for the long-haul, so such is life.

• Jesse G. says:

I wholeheartedly endorse these points but would just say that I have moved from being in the root for him but don’t like him camp to the root for him and feel kind of sorry for him camp. It is a little sad that someone with that much skill, talent, work ethic, and achievement thinks so little of himself and is so uncomfortable in his own skin. I am sure we have all met people like this and while the first response in almost always to be annoyed by their ridiculously poor perspective no their own personality and achievements, for me that quickly moves to a sense of pity.

• The Honorable Congressman Mondesi says:

Yeah I hear you, I feel bad for him too. Ugh he’s so frustrating. I feel bad for him because he clearly has emotional issues, and I feel bad that he gets ripped all the time, but at the same time he brings a lot of it upon himself and I just want him to stop being such a chump. Whatever. Fucking A-Rod.

• Jesse G. says:

No doubt there is that dichotomy. Some days I feel bad for him, some days I want to smack him upside the head and tell him to pull his head out of his ass.

• Zack says:

Ahhh, can i nominate this for the post of the year?

56. r.w.g. says:

As much as people want to sit here and bemoan how Alex gets singled out and has him name leaked when the other 100-something players did not (there will be more names, people.. if they release them all at once they won’t get as much web traffic), the bottom line is Alex did this to himself.

He wants the biggest contract, the best image, all the records. Well obviously we know just how badly he wants all that. Strikes me very similarly to Bonds, just without the blunt honesty. It’s all about Alex, period.

57. Countryclub says:

The guy is a cancer. He’s been one his whole career. Both teams he left improved after he was gone. Too bad the yanks wont be able to make it 3 for 3, he’s with them until he retires.

• Mike Pop says:

Stop it.

• donttradecano says:

texas has improved how? they still cant pitch, and still finish last in the AL West…

• Mike Pop says:

I fucken hate that argument. Some guy was saying how Seattle won 115 games after he left but he fails to see how their pitching improved by a full run and you cannot blame that on A-Rod because he was amazing on defense back then.

• Thomas says:

It was definitely A-Rod’s leaving in the 2003 offseason that made Texas’s ERA drop from 5.67 in 2003 to 4.53 in 2004. All A-Rod leaving.

• I Remember Celerino Sanchez says:

People will make all kinds of arguments (the pitching got better! etc.), but personally, I think it’s not a coincidence.

For whatever reason, Yankee fans have embraced this guy and refuse to see his faults.

I just hate rooting for him.

• Joseph P. says:

I still think it’s coincidence. Control subject: Buck Showalter

Left Yanks after ’95 season. Yanks won WS in 96.
        Left D’Backs after ’00 season. D’Backs won WS in ’01.
        Left Rangers after ’06 season. Rangers finish last, again, in West in ’07.

Clearly, manager and star player are not equal. I think we tend to overblow these coincidences in our minds, though.

• I Remember Celerino Sanchez says:

Baseball is too complicated for one factor to be the sole reason for anything. So I don’t disagree with you there. But I do think A Rod leaving was a factor. Like the team could breathe a sigh of relief.

Same thing with Showalter. Managers tend to wear out their welcomes. Managerial changes can give a jolt to a team. That can explain a boost. But if Texas was lousy (like in 2006), no new manager was going to suddenly make them good.

58. barry says:

But if he’s been clean since, and been able to put up the same numbers do people start questioning if steroids we’re really that effective.

• r.w.g. says:

If you want to get technical.. his numbers have been largely similar. Although the only seasons since 1997 that Alex failed to hit at least 41 homers (2004, 2006, 2008) all came after testing began.

• Steve H says:

So they only test in even years? Or he only juices in odd years? He had 48 and 54 HR’s in the span of those non 41 hr years, so it’s not like he’s trended downwards. 2004 was his first year in NY, and 2008 he missed over 20 games.

• bkight13 says:

He also went to a home park that kills righties after playing in 2 HR friendly parks.

• Tom Zig says:

2008 – he was hurt
        2007- MVP
        2006 – who knows
        2005- MVP
        2004 – First year adjusting to NY
        2003- MVP

Pattern ends there

59. donttradecano says:

people should do some research before blasting arod….primobolan is a steroid that helps you get cut, not add mass or strength

• Ben K. says:

We noted that in the post, but what’s your point? It’s still an illegal steroid.

• donttradecano says:

not taking a shot at you, but the idiots on the radio….yea its illegal, but its not going to make you a better baseball player. Its the safest steroid out there, if thats true, if it really helped you become a better player, why didnt bonds, clemens, and the others use it?

• billbybob says:

That comment probably doesn’t deserve a reply. However, I feel the need to. How the hell do you know whether primobolan does or doesn’t make you a better player? And how do you know that Bonds and Clemens didn’t use it?

• I Remember Celerino Sanchez says:

If it doesn’t make you a better player, why is it on the banned list?

And since when do players get to pick and choose which rules they can follow?

• donttradecano says:

“Methenolone (same name as primoloban) is also not overly suppressive of the HPTA axis, although how suppressive is debatable.[citation needed] For this reason, many bodybuilders use it in between steroid cycles during their “off-time” to help maintain their gains and strength.”

It rates a 4/10 on weight game 5/10 on strength gain, 7/10 on fat loss

“And since we aren´t even going to vaguely consider the use of Primobolan as a bulking agent, clearly this leaves us with considering it primarily for use in gaining and maintaining lean tissue. It´s a great choice for this purpose, and many competitors have used it very successfully to retain muscle while on a calorie reduced diet. The reason Primo is so useful for this purpose is that one of its primary functions is to help your body retain nitrogen (7) at a greatly enhanced rate. The greater your nitrogen retention is, the more muscle you will build. In the case of using primo as a pre-contest drug, this nitrogen retention will help you retain muscle and ensure that your dieting preferentially favors fat loss over muscle loss.””

• billbybob says:

As your scource clearly states, “[primoloban is used] to help maintain their gains and strength.” That would seem to give you a leg up on other “clean ” athletes. Who knows whether it actually makes you better? The point is, it’s a steroid that shouldn’t be used by professional athletes.

• Steve says:

There are actually a lot of substances on the list that don’t improve performance, such as many of the ADHD drugs. Not defending the guy, just saying…

• Joseph P. says:

If you don’t think ADHD drugs positively affect performance, you’ve obviously never taken an amphetamine. They most certainly do improve performance.

• The Honorable Congressman Mondesi says:

When not hanging around RAB I picture you, like, on a Sir Arthur Conan Doyle board saying shit like: “If you don’t think morphine and cocaine positively affect detective skills, you’ve obviously never taken morphine and cocaine.” You’re like clockwork with that shit.

Joseph P., will you be my BFF?

• Joseph P. says:

Sure thing, Mondesi. I am afraid, though, that I’ve been positioned as the token drug user.

• Jesse G. says:

Someone’s got to do it. Just think you are the poster boy that lets all the judgmental non-users that you can be a successful blogger and a drug user just like Michael Phelps let people know that you can be a successful Olympic athlete and a drug user.

• Joseph P. says:

Do we really need someone to prove that, though? History is filled with drug addict authors. Not that this is high-level writing or anything.

• Jesse G. says:

But remember blogging isn’t real writing, it’s just guys in their underwear in their mom’s basement.

• Ed says:

That cocaine crack reminded me of a time I was watching Sunday Night Baseball with captions on.

Announcer: “You can’t be an effective major league pitcher if you’re afraid of contact.”

Caption: “You can’t be an effective major league pitcher if you’re afraid of cocaine.”

BEST CAPTION EVER.

• Stryker says:

if you don’t think ADHD drugs positively affect performance, you’ve obviously never taken an amphetamine. They most certainly do improve performance.

so do corrective lenses.

• Joseph P. says:

So does lifting weights. So does practice.

Corrective lenses correct a physical deficiency. Taking an amphetamine is using a chemical to unnaturally boost your awareness and focus.

• Jesse G. says:

True but using hypnosis to help you focus is using a psychological process administered by others to help you unnaturally boost your awareness and focus. It seems like these are largely arbitrary distinctions. Some more or less arbitrary than others, still arbitrary nonetheless.

• Jesse G. says:

Also, where does one draw the line with what a physical deficiency is? Isn’t not being as strong as another guy a physical deficiency? I have to sound like such a relativist but I have yet to hear a compelling and consistent theory of where to draw the line in any of these areas.

• Jesse G. says:

btw, I meant to say “hate to sound like such a relativist”

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

How is hypnosis “unnatural”? It’s a lot more natural than caffeine.

And it doesn’t have to be administered by others, there’s such a thing as self hypnosis.

• Jesse G. says:

OK, how about laser eye surgery? I mean you can refute specific examples (and I think you are right about me being wrong with my hypnosis example) but I am sure if I think about it for long enough I can come up with “unnatural” ways of enhancing performance that people who are anti-steroid or anti-stimulant think are perfectly acceptable.

• Cheat2Win says:

Good stuff by both sides. I look at this thing with eyes wide open. What the hell did we expect? MLB had no explicit rules or punishment in regard to the steroid issue when he tested positive. It’s basically a non-story, but the only way to generate any interest these days is to tear something or someone down. Shock value. That’s what’s keeping this thing afloat.
            Lost in all will be the fact that the Feds can’t keep a f’n envelope sealed and the Union and MLB will have a very interesting bargaining session next time around. As far as A-Rod goes, c’mon guys, how many other other SS in the history of the game have put up numbers like that? If you didn’t somewhat suspect this than you’re pretty naive to the ways of the world. We got politicians who don’t pay their taxes, but god forbid if an athlete takes something illegal that will improve his performance.

Great day for Michael Phelps though. It’s gotta be.

60. Zack says:

I think people need to separate the two stories here, which are 1) A-Rod, along with 100 or so other players, tested positive in 2003 for steroids, and 2) A-Rod was tipped off to a drug test in 2004.

Story 1 is very likely true, as, at least according to the authors (And to be fair, Selena Roberts has a LONG history of attacking the Yankees), “two sources familiar with the evidence that the government has gathered in its investigation of steroid use in baseball and two other sources with knowledge of the testing results.” Now I have vowed never to trust stories that base really damning accusations off of “people familiar” with something or “with knowledge” of something, as about half the time they are dead wrong. BUT, 4 sources are a lot and you would think the authors would really trust these sources to run with it.

So A-Rod probably did steroids back in 2003.

BUT, story 2 strikes me as a load of crap. They write “Three major league players who spoke to SI said that Rodriguez was also tipped by Orza in early September 2004 that he would be tested later that month.” So basically their source for this is 3 baseball players. That doesn’t really strike me as all too trustworthy, especially since one of those players could very easily be Canseco.

But furthermore, the article states that he was tipped off for a test later in the month, and almost all steroids other than Andriol take AT LEAST 3-6 weeks to leave your system, which really makes me wonder…

But, in the end, A-Rod most likely did roids at one point. But the fact that it is just his name that was released is also highly questionable

61. E-ROC says:

I assume this incident does not affect his contract, right?

62. Macphisto says:

Can we all agree that A-Rod got the 10 year contract he got so that he could break the HR record in a Yankee uniform as a “clean” player. If A-Rod was a know steroid user last year, like Giambi, do you think the Yanks give him that contract? This is where the thinking of Randy Levine pisses me off. He puts the marketing opportunities for the team over the baseball of the team. This year he got shot down on Manny, thankfully. But, now with this debacle, who knows. Manny might be in pinstripes just to get the attention off of this. Overall, it just sucks. I am pissed at the whole thing. The people who give up just one name out of 104 people. The government employee that leaked the list, A-Rod for taking it, and the Yanks upper management for giving him 10 years so we get to hear about this for almost a decade. Ugh, not a great way to open the new stadium.

• I Remember Celerino Sanchez says:

Well put.

Even if the release was selective, A Rod had to be on the list to make that opportunity possible.

• Ryan S. says:

It sucks that this news is breaking but oh well, it is what it is.

• Macphisto says:

I am just pissed. He knew when he signed that new contract that he tested positive. He knew that he was being looked at as the man to break the HR record clean and that this could come out at any time. Who knows what the Yankees knew. I am trying to get behind the guy. I have never booed him at the Stadium, not during the regular season, not during the playoffs. It would drive me nuts when fans would do that. But, this. It is too much.

• Mike Pop says:

Agree with ya man but I still love him.

• Macphisto says:

I am trying, Mike. I really am. But, this was a deliberate fraud. That contract was based on him breaking the HR record clean. He knew that. He doesn;t get that contract if he was a publicly known user at the time. He took all those incentives for the plateaus knowing that he tested positive and he crossed his fingers hoping it wouldn’t come out. I am trying to get behind him but I am finding it very difficult. It is really, really ugly.

63. usty says:

I have the “Just found out there’s no Santa” feeling.

64. Zach Sanders says:

Sorry to hear about this. I loved A-Rod when he was here in Seattle, but have disliked him since he took the money and ran.

I ran the numbers for his career (you can view them here), and they show some clear signs of use.

“clear signs of use”

Hogwash. 11 HR change is a difference, but don’t you think that his first season in NY had something to do with it? Most players struggle their first year with the Yankees, and A-Rod is not as headstrong as many. So when he inclined again (or got back to the norm) in 2005, was he juicing again.

Not saying he didn’t use, but the stats say nothing about it. Does he only juice in odd years? Come on.

• Zack says:

I actually don’t see how your graphs show anything clear at all. what they show, if anything, is that A-Rod, in coming into his prime exactly around 2002-2003, did what you would expect one of the greatest hitters to do, that is, remain pretty darn consistent. Yes, there are fluctuations from year to year, but its not like he suddenly started doing anything all that out of line with his history. If anything, the fluctuations would disprove the use, as he has done both better since then, and worse.

• Zach Sanders says:

Numbers cannot prove steroid use, but these support it. The way his numbers ran were similar to the way I’ve seen other guys numbers go. The SLG and ISO do the job of supporting it, even though the HR don’t.

• Mike Pop says:

Ya but except umm the numbers don’t prove it. He as far as we know wasn’t on roids in 07 but he had probably his best season ever.

• Zach Sanders says:

Yes, ’07 was great. But his pattern from ’05 to the present has been a fluctuating one. And unless he takes a year off from roids, then goes back on, we have to assume it is some kind of natural pattern.

• Steve H says:

Every player has swings in performance (except Adam Dunn). There are reasons for this, you can’t in hindsight cherry pick some numbers that don’t support your argument anyway and said, yup, he used. Unless all players in baseball (other than Adam Dunn) are using, because they all have performance swings. Of course, Adam Dunn could be using all along, explaining his consistency. These guys aren’t robots, performance will change year to year. Run a graph on Pujols, and you’ll conclude that he used. He spike from 34 to 43, then went 46, 41, 49 before losing 17 HR’s to 32 (in more at-bats BTW) and hitting 37 this year. That’s a much bigger inconsistency than A-Rod.

Pujols=Juicer, case closed.

• Mike Pop says:

Ya but he ain’t a Yank. No bigs.

• Zach Sanders says:

Yes players have swings. So I will say it again:

” We cannot look at a player every year and claim he did roids, but we can look back and say “OK, that makes sense now”. “

• Steve H says:

The swings are such a common occurrence, you can’t say it makes sense now, because it would match the swings in performance whether or not the person is juicing.

If it came out later that this report is false, and A-Rod is clean, what would explain his swings? The swings in performance happen on and off juice.

• Steve H says:

Lance Berkman too. Huge swings in performance.

• Thomas says:

I don’t really see the stats backing up any possible usage. A-Rod peaks in 2002 before testing positive in 2003. Even if you say that he may have been taking steroid previous to testing positive, there are possibly other factors at play. His numbers spike in 2000 after leaving Seattle, some of these can be attributed to switching from a pitcher’s park in Seattle to a hitter’s haven at Texas. Also important, once reaching Texas A-Rod hits age 25 and he starts to mature physically as he starts to enter his prime. After Texas, his number on average have been slightly lower in NY (again park change), but have been up and down showing at times being equal or better than at Texas (during his alleged steroid usage).

He may very well have taken steroid, but the numbers do not really back it up.

To put it another way, if you looked at his numbers, before knowing he took steroids, would you have assumed he did?

• Zach Sanders says:

No. Hence, me saying:

Players that go from extremely low to high, we can tell, yes. Brady Anderson, Brian Roberts, and Barry Bonds. It becomes more difficult when the numbers are already high. That’s why the HR numbers don’t look like it, but the SLG and ISO do.

• Thomas says:

” We cannot look at a player every year and claim he did roids, but we can look back and say “OK, that makes sense now”. ” I can agree with that thought process, but I never saw that post since I was writing mine at the same time.

However, even looking at just SLG and ISO, though, the numbers don’t back up steroid usage, all that well. Since leaving Texas, A-Rod has played 5 seasons, 1 (2007) superior to the Texas years, 1 (2005) about equal to Texas, and 3 worse than Texas (2004, 2006, 2008). The three worse years, 2004 was his first in NY and 2008 he was hurt part of the year, which could contribute to his subpar performance or they could just be bad years (like 2006). He had 2 out of 5 equal years and 3 worse years of which 2 have had outside extenuating circumstances.

I am just saying I don’t think the data backs it up that well.

• Steve H says:

It doesn’t explain it well. Unless every single major leaguer is using, the swings explain nothing. Players will have swings whether they are juicing or not.

• Zach Sanders says:

I understand where everyone is coming from. I looked at the graphs, and decided (based on your comments) that it didn’t do a good enough job explaining it.

So, I sat down and ran the numbers through some more sophisticated shit, and I think it makes sense now. You can view it here.

65. Arman Tamzarian says:

There’s a good, very recent documentary on steroids called “Bigger, Faster, Stronger” if your interested in ann unbiased approach to steroids check it out.

66. JCS says:

Okay , maybe people have already mentioned this in the comments but… why is it that Arod’s name didnt show up at all during the Mitchell Reports? Also, if these sleaze balls from SI optained this info, along w/ info that 103 other players failed tests in 2003, why is it that Arod’s name is the only one being mentioned?? I mean, okay… I’m sure his name is probably the biggest name on this supposed list (at this point) but why JUST his name? Sounds like a bit of your typical Yankees witch hunt to me.

All of you Yankees hating sports reporters can do everything in your power to tarnish the Yankees players, past and present.. but there’s one thing you sports nerds cant tarnish.. (which, in my opinion is why you hate them anyhow) 26 rings!!!!

Yanks=27 rings in ’09!

67. LC says:

When does this CBA end? Because when the next one comes aorund, you can bet that the union won’t allow testing to be leaked

• AndrewYF says:

It’s already not allowed to be leaked.

The Union is going to dig in its heels and MLB is going to have to bend over backwards in order to get it to agree with anything.

• Zack says:

“you can bet that the union won’t allow testing to be leaked”

do you know why people leak info? because its not legal to come out and say it straight, thats why they hide behind reporters so they dont lose their job and goto jail.

68. mike says:

time to sign Manny, as the fragile ego of our cleanup-hitter is shattered

69. Mike Pop says:

Why does this just get released now?

70. Bryan V says:

It’s an allegation made by un-named sources.

When those allegations turn into fact…then let’s talk. Until then, it’s just another rumor.

71. mike says:

Canseco has more credibility that Obama, W and all of D.C. put together – and he fought Bonaducci as well.

Im starting to like this guy alot

72. Bryan says:

This is going to suck. I’m glad I was able to wake up to this.

73. BillyBall says:

Hey Macphisto, just in case you have any misconceptions on Manny. He also did steroids without question he used as well and it will come out one day. I have a good source. He used frequently as a member of the Indians, in public, in the middle of the club house. So there goes the notion of bringing in Manny.

I don’t want to bloat but I said this over the last few seasons. Trade A-Rod NOW! But the brains of this operation shot me down as being anti-Yankee when in fact I was being pro Yankee. He’s a clown, hes arrogant, and he has no class. What a mess this has created for the new season. Shame on you all for supporting this ass while attacking our Captain. Your all phonies!

Listen to the Katie Couric interview in 2007. Theres the revelation on this clown.

• mike says:

difference is manny is a flake – there is no pressure or situation where he doesn’t rake the ball. If Manny did steroids and was confronted, he would chuckle and move on.

Arod has issues if he and Jeter wear different jeans, and if nobody wants to play nice with him.

• Joseph P. says:

You call anyone a phony on this board one more time and it will be your last post.

• Zack says:

You have a “good source” eh?

I take back my earlier comment, I nominate THIS ONE for post of the year

• Macphisto says:

My point, BillyBall, if you read my post, was that it is the thinking of Randy Levine that prompted the Yanks to do this marketing driven contract. It was Randy Levine who was pushing for Manny because of the marketing opportunities. He had visions of selling t-shirts of Manny vs Boston the day he left for LA. But, neither the A-Rod contract or bringing Manny over are good baseball decisions. But, now Levine might get his way with Manny because bringin him in now would defuse this going into spring training. Maybe Boras was the leak. It all just sucks so badly.

• mike says:

Hey Billy – you gotta pump the brakes – Jeter is not “our “Captain, and we are not together going to storm San Juan Hill behind him.

Everyone of these guys has all of their laundry eventually exposed – how about Jeter getting caught for trying to evade NY income tax?? think the 23,000 people the mayor will lay off for a tax short-fall will appreciate that?

Keep it in perspective – rich young athletes acting like rich young athletes

• Thomas says:

Seriously, you couldn’t use the new giant reply button? Instead, you just write the person’s handle.

Also it is you’re, a contraction for you are, not “your”, which is the possessive form of you.

• The Honorable Congressman Mondesi says:

I don’t like to bloat either! You just gotta be careful with, like, Chinese food and stuff like that, BillyBall.

74. Mike Pop says:

Why didn’t Mo stop this.

75. BillyBall says:

Joseph P. Sorry for the insult. I thought this was free speech here as long as we aren’t cursing at each other or being derogatory to each other. I guess I struck a nerve and I do not wish to be banished but my feelings as a Yankee fan are truly hurt and I have always said the team comes first. Numerous people on here have attacked me for defending Jeter and putting the team concept first over the A-Rod nonsense. And not once did you threaten to expel them. So all I can say is you deserve this guy. Lets hope we can win regardless of the nonsense he brings to the table

76. BigBlueAL says:

Arod needs to just retire and move to a secluded island somewhere…..

77. VOIII says:

This systematically targeting the Yankees is ridiculous. The Mitchell report was a heavily slanted attempt to attack the Yankees. Now on the day pitchers and catchers show up, the only name out of 104 players to be leaked happens to be a Yankee.
    These assholes are shooting themselves in the foot for not protecting the one team that drives the engine that is MLB. Whether or not you like A-Rod matters not, this is bad news for a Yankee team that needs to stay focused against the best devision in baseball. The only thing we can hope for is that the players rally around A-Rod the way they did for Giambi, and then take it out on the rest of the sport. They need to use this as an us against the world thing and kick some ass. One can only hope…with all the other bullshit happening in the world right now, I was really looking forward to a huge year from a revamped Yankee team. Now, not so much…

• Thomas says:

While many of the players were Yankees, I don’t know if they were really targeted. The thing is most of the sources found were Yankee related. McNamee was Pettitte’s and Clemens’ trainer. BALCO had Sheffield and Giambi among others. Grimsley was a Yankee, so he would probably know many of the Yankees who used. Radomski was a trainer in NY, so it would be expected he distribute to local people. If a steroid deal in KC was found, I’d suspect you’d see mostly KC players on the list.

Also, the Yankees have a lot of stars and players you associate with the Yankees. Thus, when a list of 15 people comes out, if David Justice is the biggest name in the list, they are going to talk about Justice over Joe Schmoe. Also, many players like Justice, Sheffield, and Giambi probably used before the were Yankees, but now they are most associated with the Yankees (especially by Yankee fans).

So while it seems that the Yankees are being discriminated against, I don’t think they are. However, I could be wrong.

• A.D. says:

I’m not any less excited about the season, I’m just annoyed about the barrage of press I’ll have to wade through on shit I don’t care about.

78. Steve H says:

My brother, die hard Sox fan just called me laughing. What he was laughing about though, was how stupid this is, admitting that most players in baseball were/have used at some point. He still takes pleasure in the distraction that it will cause, but basically could give a shit less that A-Rod juiced, knowing that the players he roots for also juice/have juiced.

• Mike Pop says:

You come from a good family Steve.

• Steve H says:

Lol. I have to say I didn’t expect it, but he knows I would have blasted him about the Sox. We all know they used, and as the years go by, I’m sure more and more names will come out, making fans of teams everywhere relax on the attacks.

79. You know what sickens me? It’s that these reporters must have looked to damage A-Rod. They could have sought to get the whole list, or a few players. But no, they thought, let’s damage A-Rod, let’s harass a man who goes through enough shit in his life, and let’s screw the Yankees while we’re at it! Insensitivity FTL.

• Steve H says:

Unless they got more names, and will leak as time goes on. I wonder if people from SI will now write books about other players (knowing they are on the list), only to leak their names before the book comes out.

80. Mike Pop says:

World Series odds just went down. Lol

81. Steve H says:

Looking for a silver lining now, but maybe, hopefully this has been eating at A-Rod for years, and now he can just relax and play baseball. I doubt it, but maybe the weight he carries on his shoulders relates more to inside his head than what is said by the media, fans, Torre, etc. Maybe he just breathes a sigh of relief and moves on.

• You know, I really, really hope that you’re right.

• Mike Pop says:

Maybe he never used and since his name will always be tarnished he is going to use now and just mash beyond belief. Give a huge middle finger to the MLB world. ;)

(Sarcasm)

• Ryan S. says:

If he is guilty, he needs to admit it so we can all move on and deal with it. He’ll instantly separate himself from guys like Bonds or Clemens in at least some ways then.

• Definitely; he needs to do what Giambi did in ST in 2005.

• A.D. says:

Or Pettitte last year, he has some good models, and even a team mate to council…plus he’s seen what happened to Clemens & Bonds.

The best approach is to be as candid as possible, when he used, why he used, etc

• I don’t believe Pettitte, and a lot of people don’t; everyone (pretty much) believes Giambi.

• The Honorable Congressman Mondesi says:

I don’t get your comparison. Pettitte admitted to specific instances of PED use. I agree that a lot of people don’t think he was completely honest, etc. But what do you mean, “everyone (pretty much) believes Giambi?” Giambi never really admitted anything, he just said he was sorry for some undisclosed transgression that he couldn’t talk about for “legal reasons.” I’m not slamming Giambi, I just don’t know what you’re talking about.

• Ok. But the point I was trying to make is that everyone has absolved Giambi without forgetting that he did something wrong (steroids). The cloud hangs more prominently on the head of Pettitte because many believe that he hasn’t been completely honest.

• A.D. says:

This is a good point, its not like A-Rod didn’t know that he tested positive/was using designer ‘roids in ’03, so maybe this doesn’t effect him.

82. nick blasioli says:

who fricken cares what he did in 03…i theink every one has a skeleton in their closet…lets get on to the present and play ball..leave arod alone….

• Zack says:

is that your opinion on Bonds, McGwire, Canseco, Giambi, Clemens, etc?

• Mike Pop says:

That’s what we want to do but not what everyone else wants to do. That is the problem.

• Macphisto says:

It is really hard, Nick, to just move on. He signed that contract knowing this was out there. Knowing that if it came out it would cause all of us, the fans, heart ache. He knew that he was the guy who was supposed to break the HR record “clean”. This was a contract for someone who was supposed to make baseball history and go the HOF. He knew he used, he knew he failed a test, and he still went ahead and signed that contract with those expectations. It is really hard to just let it go.

83. Matt says:

I’m still in shock about this. My faith in baseball has just sunk to new lows.

And to everyone who calls ARod a “me first” player, what does that even mean? In baseball, no one can do anything w/o the help of teammates. This isn’t like basketball where one guy can chuck up 30 shots a game or football where the QB can audible at the line or when an RB or WR can bitch to the coordinator to get him more plays.

• I agree. What people forget is that no one can get anywhere without being selfish (to varying degrees)

• mike says:

it means whent there is a guy on 2nd with no one out in a tight game, Arod would likely not change his approach , and instead of trying to poke a ball to the right side, would still try to hit a rope to left field.

Making a productive out and sacrificing an opportunity for a hit or RBI while putting your next teammate in a better position for that same RBI – thats what people who watch the game notice about players like A Rod and Sheffield, and thats why Jeter – for all his puny stats and silly bunts – will always be looked at as a team player

• Matt says:

So because Alex Rodriguez is a better hitter than Derek Jeter, he’s a “me first” player? Yeah, he’s really “me first” with his 616 RBI in his 5 seasons with the Yankees (123.2 a year). I guess all those guys A-Rod drove in were clones or ghost runners?

That situation you listed is semi-ridiculous because A-Rod and Sheff are two of the better RBI guys of the last decade. Why should they sacrifice themselves or change their approaches when they’re fully capable of bringing in the run with a hit or a homer? Alex Rodriguez will go down as one of the best hitters in baseball history. Why should he change his approach? In your situation, would you rather he ground out to second while trying to get the runner to third or get a base hit that would most likely score the guy? Hmm…

Jeter doesn’t have puny stats. A case could be made that he’s one of the best hitting shortstops ever.

• But what’s better: hitting that homer with a guy on, or wasting ability to bunt for the chance that a run scores?

84. Chris says:

He definately opted-out last year knowing he had to sign a new, long-term contract before this surfaced. If he finished out his last contract, then went shopping for a new one, and these charges surfaced, he would have never got that deal. What a complete jackass

• Zack says:

Yes ARod KNEW that confidential, private information that no one should have talked about would be leaked to the public?

Maybe he can tell me what lottos number will come up so i can get some money

• Macphisto says:

It had to be gnawing at him, Zach. When that kind of informations is out there you have to think eventually it will come out. You think he gets the contract he got if this was public knowledge. Not a chance. That is the ugliness of this whole thing.

• A.D. says:

I mean he didn’t end up shopping for any contract. But thats a bit much knowing that confidential info would leak, and it wouldn’t be during last offseason

85. Ryan S. says:

The next New York Post headline: A-ROIDS.

86. mike says:

Lets be honest – the Yanks must have suspected something would come out about ARod and others all this time, as they are the biggest part of a multi-Billion dollar, collusional industry.

Remember the Dodgers quotes about LoDuca in 2005 from their org meetings? To think similar Arod gossip was not shared by the Yanks during their meetings, especially concerning allegations by Canseco, the Rangers team itself, his physical appearance etc. would be naive.

Business as usual

87. Matt says:

The original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is on ABC Family right now. It’s easing the pain a little bit.

88. Lanny says:

Let’s get to the real issue. The people who leaked this should be in jail. That is against every law and ethic of the judicial system.

89. Blake says:

Anybody else think king Albert will eventually be unveiled on this list?

90. Thomas says:

Does anyone think this report is wrong?

• Zack says:

It’s tough to believe they’re making it up with 4 sources; but without the entire list being released you have the right to have your doubts

• Thomas says:

Yeah, I am not sure if I believe it. Also the none of the sources agree to be named, which makes me wonder about their credibility/ being real (of course, they did break the law by releasing the list, so they aren’t great sources if it is true).

• Zack says:

you cant say that. what if someone in the military told a source about illegal actions in the military, is he not a great source becaus he broke a law?
          Their identities are unforunately protected and SI is under no obligation to say their names.

You dont have to believe it, but just wait til ARod’s comments, what he says and how he says it will give us a better picture.

• Thomas says:

That is a completely different scenario. In your military scenario, the military is secretly doing something illegal that is probably harming others. By telling a source, the illegal actions in the military will probably be stopped and other will be helped.

Releasing the steroid list is illegal, but unlike the military scenario releasing the list will not help anyone. It is essentially a drive for personal fame or a personal vendetta, it only benefits the individuals releasing the list.

• Zack says:

“It is essentially a drive for personal fame or a personal vendetta, it only benefits the individuals releasing the list.”
              What are those sources gaining? They dont want their name released, so your fame point is not valid.

I agree with you, the 4 people who looked and leaked the info should be in jail. But dont say they arent credible because they leaked the info, what is one is a priest, one a mother of 3, one works for a nonprofit organization?
              If the info is right then how are the not credible? If they made it up obviously that will come out somehow and they will be sued/jailed whatever the punishment is.

• Mike Pop says:

I dont know but Arod needs to come out and say something within a day or two and not wait weeks like Clemens did no matter what his defense will be.

• Steve H says:

I think it’s possible that it’s wrong, but no, I don’t think it’s wrong. Though I’m crossing my fingers.

91. Lanny says:

There hasn’t been one rumor of A-Rod doing anything. Not one person has come out and said he has. Not one has said he bought them or done them. With all the drama around this guy you don’t think we would have heard something about this?

Let this breathe for a bit. Let the facts come out and let A-Rod and the union respond to this.

Remember, this is an ANONYMOUS list. It is illegal to leak these names and even see the names. We don’t have all or really any of the facts yet.

92. Blake says:

No. all reports are confirmed from various sources including SI, ESPN

93. mike says:

Can you imagine if Big Stein was 10 years younger?? He would have Arod doing push-ups in the parking lot!

94. Steve H says:

Is this going to set a record for most comments on a non-game thread or non-open thread?

95. Rizzo! says:

I want to see the entire list of 104 players! I refuse to believe A-Rod is the only all star on the list.

• Zack says:

just like how no redsox or brewers were on the mitchell report.
      unfortunately the union will NEVER release the names, just have to hope we get more sources

• Steve H says:

It’s not like the commish is the former owner of the Brewers and the man he commissioned to run the report is on the Sox board of directors.

oops, scratch that.

96. Melissa says:

This is definitely not going to make the “A-Fraud” tag go away any time soon.

97. matt says:

So, I am going to sound like homer but wasn’t that list confidential?
    What about the other 103 names on that list.
    Why is one person or all of the big names being persecuted.
    PED abuse was pervasive and the real blame is the owners and union leadership.
    I am tired of all of the witch hunt crap.
    Enforce the rules on the books and play baseball.

98. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

At least Melvin is clean.

99. Alex says:

any1 watching the interview of the reporter who broke the story on mlb network?

100. Joey H says:

Apparently Steroids don’t help you hit in the clutch. He is going to get a lashing on my show tonight.

101. teixburnathia says:

what we need to have happen is for the other 104 names on the list leak out and hope that david ortiz and manny ramirez are on there

• Zack says:

its not about we have 1 guy so i hope our rivals have 2 guys. releasing all the names just saves face for arod, clemens, bonds, etc. Bonds has always taken the heat for cheating, when tons of guys were. the mitchell report gave the public more players to point at, giving off the impression that those were the only guys who were on it.

If Bonds was the only one doing it, ok have your opinion. But then Clemens got caught, now ARod; does that make Bonds look as bad? Then what if Pujols or Ortiz or another big non-yankee gets caught, does that make Arod/Bonds look better?
      Is 1 guy cheating worse then 100 guys cheating?

102. Mango Kid says:

I still find it hilarious that the sporting world goes wild when it is a baseball player busted for something five years ago – allegedly – but an NFLer using is barely acknowledged when it is revealed in real time.

• jsbrendog says:

AROD, bonds, mcgwire etc. prob voted out of HOF for this.

Shawne Merrimen given new endorsemnt deal and lauded as the anchor of the chargers defense and the reason they couldnt get it going in the beginning of the season.

DESPICABLE

• Matt says:

Dana Stubbefield gave up names of players and trainers reportedly linked to steroids to the feds and that hasn’t gotten a word of coverage. Love it.

103. mustang says:

I’m shocked, but not surprised. It’s a sad day for the game.
    I don’t want to judge yet, but if the first words that came out of his mouth were talk with the union then it really doesn’t look that good.

104. jsbrendog says:

<—- Arod hater since day 1.

<—-still an Arod hater.

<—- always an Arod hater

this means nothing to me other than now i laugh when everyone’s “golden boy” of “clean” players is now just as tainted as everyone else.

BUT LOOK AT HIM!11!!11!! HE COULDNT HAVE TAKEN STEROIDS CAUSE HIS HEAD DIDNT BLOW UP AND HES NOT BULKY!!111!!1111

fail

105. Marcus says:

Steroids don’t make a bad player better or an elite player better.

A-Rod after steroids(2007): 54 HR’s, 156 RBI’s, 143 Runs
    A-Rod presumably during steroids(2002): 57 HR’s, 142 RBI’s, 125 Runs

Wait a second!!!! How could an elite player have his best season after steroid use? Simply because steroid use doesn’t help you play the game of baseball. Once again, it is all mental and mechanical.

These guys were great before, during, and after the steroid era. Steroids are over-blown. The false belief that steroids make people cheaters and great players is completely not true.

Alex Rodriguez has 9 years left on his contract and 300 more HRs to hit without steroid use. If he does it are you going to say it was all because of steroid use? No, that simply wouldn’t make any logical sense. His best HR total was 57 during steroids and he just recently hit 54 HR’s after steroids.

The steroid saga just needs to be put to rest.

Steroids don’t make people great, great players make steroids look great.

• Zack says:

Soo…. we should ignore the fact that he used steroids?
      You cant say before/after roids. 1. you dont know when he started 2. dont know how long he used them for 3. dont know what kind of steroids he did 3. is he clean now? is there a test for HGH?

• donttradecano says:

3. dont know what kind of steroid

he did a steroid that makes you cut, and doesnt add strength or mass, does that have any relevance?

• Zack says:

didnt know they released it, whats the name that he was caught with?
          im not an expert on roids, but here is a write up on some of them:

• donttradecano says:

he took primobolan

It rates a 4/10 on weight game 5/10 on strength gain, 7/10 on fat loss”

• Zack says:

ok dont know what your ratios mean but it says, “many bodybuilders use it in between steroid cycles during their “off-time” to help maintain their gains and strength.”

so are you defending him or sticking up for him?

• donttradecano says:

“they must have done something to benefit or he wouldnt have taken them, whether a trainer, teammate, whoever someone told him it had benefits”

if i could take something that would make me cut with 0 side effects id take it too.

• Zack says:

sorry i meant are you defending his use or saying its no big deal?

0 side effects? sort of doubt that, everything out there has side effects

• donttradecano says:

this steroid produces no feminine side effects, no roid rage, and basically no effects on the liver, only thing it produces is hair loss.

Its no big deal if he was just using it to get cut.

However its a big deal if he was using it in between cycles of another steroid, but knowing how vain arod is im gonna go with the first one.

• Zack says:

does the reason matter? its illegal, he took it and got caught, period.

• donttradecano says:

unless hes still taking something….

(just playing devils advocate)

• mustang says:

Marcus you have no idea how long A-Rod has been using. And if you don’t think adding strength, power and faster recovery time to a already elite player doesn’t make them better then I really don’t know what to tell you.

There a reason why they are illegal.

106. Zack says:

and dont look at his initial reaction for guilt. buster olney said that the document was suppose to be sealed and he may not have been aware that he was tested positive. he obviously knew he was tested, but the results were limited to a “core group of reps from union and mlb”

107. BillyBall says:

Marcus, keep feeding that garbage to children and they will believe you. If you don’t think for one second that steroids makes a good player great than study the numbers. The single season HR mark stood for decades until a steroid user broke it and than another steroid user re-broke it. I’m sorry but the evidence is clear as day. You can point to small stadiums and the ball, but the fact is that there were always smallish stadiums and the ball was in fact shown to be altered throughout the history of the game to increase HR production. But the records stood strong until steroid use became rampant. If you use Steroids today and than do not use it for three years there is such a thing as muscle memory. You alter your DNA for ever. Study the drug before you make comments like that.

As far as this website and it’s creators. May I remind you that I was a big supporter of the big three push. Saving the kids, not making the mistakes of the past, keeping the youth, building from within. This message brought me to enjoy this site. I was also always battling everyone on here including the creators regarding A-Rod. I hope the message your sending is not one where if you don’t agree with us your going to be banished. I called all those supposed Yankee fans that strongly supported A-Rod over Jeter, over Torre, over the Yankee tradition as phony fans. For that I was threatened. I called for trading A-Rod for the last 3 seasons as I truly cannot stand the player and I was attacked, and not one of those bloggers were threatened to be banished. Give me a break and be fair and partial here. The facts are the facts!

• mustang says:

Not that I agree with everything you said, but I’m really dying to see the spin on this.

• Let’s do this FJM style.

But see, stadiums weren’t always small. For example, the dimensions of Baltimore’s old Memorial Park:

Left Field – 309 ft
      Left-Center – 446 ft (1954), 378 ft (1990)
      Center Field – 445 ft (1954), 405 ft (1980)
      Right-Center – 446 ft (1954), 378 ft (1990)
      Right Field – 309 ft

Now for the Polo Grounds:

Left Field – 279 ft
      Left-Center – 450 ft
      Center Field – 483 ft
      Right-Center – 449 ft
      Right Field – 258 ft

Griffifth Stadium:

Left Field – 388 ft
      Left-Center – 360 ft
      Center Field – 421 ft
      Right-Center – 373 ft
      Right Field – 320 ft

and a bunch of others. Now, for the ball, it’s well known that it has been virtually unchanged since 1920.

If you use Steroids today and than do not use it for three years there is such a thing as muscle memory. You alter your DNA forever.

Not true. You lose the weight you gained because of the steroids; muscle memory only helps you when you return to steroids, making the return to form much quicker.

Besides the fact that calling people “phonies” is apparently illegal here, you’re right. Just in the same way that Thomas Jefferson, the godliest of all Founding Fathers, was truly anti-slavery. And Jefferson, not relative newcomer Alexander Hamilton, was correct in saying that this nation needed to be and was going to be an agricultural nation forever. And “the fundamentals of the economy are strong.” And the Holocaust never happened. And…and…and!!!!

[...]not one of those bloggers were threatened to be banished.

No one has ever insulted you. Can we say the same about you to others?

The facts are the facts!

Right. It also depends on what your definition of “are” is.

/Rant

• Ben K. says:

Is it that hard to use the reply button if you want to reply to Marcus’ post? The thing is freakin’ huge now. You can’t miss it.

108. Orlando says:

ohhhh man!!!! can someone give him something so he can hit in the post season????

109. YankFanDave says:

When will this end! What is the value of the never ending finger pointing and outing. From Torre’s “history” book to grand jury leaks to anonymous tests revealed, the process has become as dirty as the “crimes”. This is sick, sad, sorry and useless. The level of attention these issues get when compared to real issues has become shameful. We are all complicit. I enjoy sports and journalism, but at his point much of the “sports news” is neither. That is not to say the issue doesn’t need to be covered but unfortunately we seem to be unable to cover it with any real purpose or to move on when that purpose is met.

110. Spaceman.Spiff says:

I’m just praying that Teixeira isn’t the next guy to be outed. Not saying he’s a prime candidate for it, there just seems to be some glee in the media with outing Yankee-related players because it garners the most national attention.

111. Steve H says:

At least the A-Rod news will take some heat off CC/Tex/Burnett in spring training.

112. Scott of 3 Kids Tickets says:

So when I said Alex aka ARoid has too much baggage and shouldn’t be re-signed, it’s not as questionable now?

What a tool. He’s the anti-Jeter now for sure.

-Scott

• mustang says:

Don’t even put them in the same sentence.
      All the Stats. in the world can’t change the facts if he cheated.

Who says Jeter is clean?

• Zack says:

this wasnt public when he resigned so what baggage? because he was cheating on his wife and getting a divorce? isnt jeter out every week with a new girl? didnt 2 girls make a scence in a hotel because they were “guests” of derek jeter?

think of 2007 without ARod’s 54 hrs, 143r, 156rbis. without him they had no chance at playoffs. the other option was trade for Miguel Cabrera, and he cant even play 3B so lets be real

• Matt says:

“He’s the anti-Jeter now for sure.”

Unless Jeter took them, too. As far as I’m concerned, if Rodriguez took them, anyone could have.

I wonder what everyone will say if it comes out that Jeter took them.

Jeter took them to win.

A-rod took them for stats because he’s selfish.

That’s what you’ll hear if we ever find out that Jeter used.

• mustang says:

Bottom line-
          Jeter is clean. ( for now)
          Is this now going to be the new rally call for the pro-Arod crowd.

• Matt says:

No, but everyone thought A-Rod wsa clean so now, as far as I see it, everyone is a “suspect” if you catch my drift.

Serious question: would you rather have had someone else play 3rd for the Yankees for the last five seasons? Would you rather have kept Soriano and never traded for Rodriguez? Like him or not, Alex Rodriguez has made the Yankees a better team than they would’ve been w/Aaron Boone at third and Soriano at second.

• mustang says:

I agree Matt.
              But he carries a lot of baggage and this if its true is crashing. Because it puts into doubt all that makes him the great player he is.

• Scott of 3 Kids Tickets says:

Soriano isn’t exactly “chopped-liver” either…

Saying if ARoid took them anyone could have including Jeter, is a lousy way of justifying it to yourself. When/if Jeter is ever caught I will curse him, but until then he’s innocent until proven otherwise… and I don’t think he’s that dumb. He knows his carreer and limitations.

-Scott

• Matt says:

“At LEAST A Boone knew how to come thru for us in the post-season when it counted !”

.170/.196/.302. Yup, real post-season dynamo. One AB does not a great player make.

“Soriano isn’t exactly “chopped-liver” either…”

No, he isn’t. But A-Rod is about 354 times better.

“Saying if ARoid took them anyone could have including Jeter, is a lousy way of justifying it to yourself. ”

It’s not a justification; it’s a loss of faith.

113. BillyBall says:

Scott-

Cannot agree with you more. Hopefully all the supporters now see the circus this guy brought. Time has come to stand together and rid our team of this player.

114. teixburnathia says:

im sure just about aevery player took steroids. Why wouldnt they? They would improve your game and you wouldnt get in troube for taking them

• Zack says:

not just steroids. do you think ripken could play that many games without taking 1 upper? he grew up in the roids era too

115. Tom Zig says:

Whoever leaked the information is in serious trouble, according to Pete Abe, the information was under seal by a court order.

116. UKYankee says:

I’m from the UK….I only “discovered” baseball in the middle of 2003. I’d been a “football” fan my whole life – Liverpool….until that summer. Sick of the constant cheating and lying and corruption that seemed to have become indoctrinated in soccer’s culture….I fell in love with the purity …the honesty of baseball. and particularly the Yankees after seeing them in Anaheim.
    There seemed to be no cheating….play acting to con officials….the honesty of the statistics. I have been explaining to my british friend the diffences of even the journalists and tv pundits compared to those here. Always well informed….seemingly objective, but always about the love of the game. American’s always celebrate the best…excellence. In the UK, we are very cynical about champions….always looking for an angle to knock them. We seem to prefer a valiant loser, for some reason. I prefer to revere those champions
    ….the elite….the difference makers.

today i feel heartboken…(iv’e been a little teary recently, since my best friend died in December).
    Not about the supposed cheating….but the obviously deliberately timed attack on baseball’s best player. I feel cheated by the press….by TV…but most of all…by the government agencies that are protecting yours (and my) privacy and freedom. There is something seriously wrong that they can pick and choose suitable times to leak ” confidential” information

wrong ! Wrong ! Wrong!

i’d like also to thank you guys for giving me a forum to vent on.
    I read 20 times a day and finally feel the need to join in

117. Capt. Morgan says:

This is just the begining..Now he will come to spring training and say all the wrong things. Makes me wanna pull my hair off..He shouldn’t open his fucking mouth and get into more trouble. What a Moron!

Gosh… 9 more years of this shit. What’s next ?

118. [...] come to town, and it won’t be leaving any time soon. Hot on the heels of the news that A-Rod failed a 2003 drug test, baseball and its supposed drug problem has once again grabbed center stage in New York City. For [...]

119. [...] the A-Rod news broke this morning, I wasn’t surprised or outraged. Nothing that comes out of this ongoing [...]

120. [...] light of the A-Rod steroids revelation, we decided to do a special edition of the RAB Radio Show. We totally winged the show, deciding [...]

121. [...] River Ave. Blues, Sports Illustraded reports that Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in 2003. In 2003, when [...]