Mar

Sheppard set for April 3 return

Bob Sheppard, the fabled voice of the Yankees, missed the end of the 2007 and all of 2008 with a serious health scare. He contracted a bad case of pneumonia and saw his weight drop to 105 pounds. But Sheppard, 97, made a great recovery, and he recently told the FAN that he finally has his doctor’s permission to begin announcing Yankee games again. He’ll be in the booth come the April 3 exhibition against the Cubs. Here’s to another 57 years of Sheppard’s voice at Yankee Stadium.

Categories : Asides

1. daniel aka bryce harper says:

i cannot wait to hear his legendary voice echo through the new stadium on april 4, at the exhibition game. yes!

2. Yankeegirl49 says:

I’ll be there on the 3rd and this put a huge smile on my face!!

3. Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

*APPLAUSE*

Thanks Ben, you just made my week. Can’t wait to hear him again.

4. Artist formerly known as 'The' Steve says:

“Ladies and gentlemen . . . .welcome to the NEW . . Yankee Stadium!”

5. Giuseppe Franco says:

As much as I hope this is indeed the case, Sheppard’s return has not been confirmed.

That “recent interview” Hoch referred to actually took place over a month ago on Feb 15th.

Sheppard did say that he hoped to be there on Opening Day, but it was not etched in stone.

It’s not my intention to throw cold water on this story because I want him back as much as anyone.

But we are talking about a guy who is nearly 100 years old and we were disappointed in the past by his inability to return last season.

I’d be hesitant to pencil him into the Opening Day lineup until he or the Yankees confirm it.

6. carl says:

I want him to read me a book.

7. dan says:

The only connection from the post to this comment I can figure out is the age of Bob Sheppard.

Does anybody think it’s a bit strange that Jose Tabata’s wife is 43 years old? The guy can’t even legally drink and his wife is old enough to have seen the Beatles live in concert.

8. Drew says:

no not really

9. Drew says:

God Bless Bob Sheppard, I hope his health is well and remains so for a long time. I can’t wait to hear his voice announce Jeter come the 3rd. That damn recording from last year just wasn’t the same!

10. John Price says:

Unfortunately it looks like that report might have been premature: http://weblogs.newsday.com/spo....._at_n.html

11. [...] night, we jumped the gun a bit in reporting that Bob Sheppard would be in the booth for the Yankees’ home opener. According to his wife Mary, speaking to Newsday today, Sheppard [...]