Mar

Yanks to open gates at new Stadium earlier

For years, one of the things — besides Cotton Eyed Joe — that always annoyed me about Yankee Stadium was its opening time. The Yanks would open the stadium gates around two hours prior to game time or right as home BP was wrapping up.

With the new park, though, the Yanks are rectifying this oversight. Lost in the news about the food offerings at the new stadium was the following paragraph for the press release:

Yankee Stadium concessions will begin serving food when Stadium gates open, approximately three hours prior to the scheduled start times of games. Gates will open at 10:00 a.m. for games with a 1:05 p.m. scheduled start time, at 1:00 p.m. for 4:10 p.m. starts, at 4:00 p.m. for 7:05 p.m. starts, and at 5:00 p.m. for 8:05 p.m. starts.

Never before could fans enter the stadium that early. While the business man in me knows that the Yanks are kicking back their open hours to give fans more of an opportunity to spend money at the new ballpark, the baseball fan in me can’t wait to get up to the stadium one summer night for all three hours of batting practice.

For the last game at old Yankee Stadium, my dad and I went early to soak in the House that Ruth Built one final time. The doors opened six hours ahead of the game, and we sat there and watched all of BP. It was truly a special moment, and I’m glad to hear the Yanks will be opening the doors earlier from now on.

Categories : Yankee Stadium

1. Mattingly's Love Child says:

That is awesome news. One of my, and my father’s, biggest complaints over the past couple of years is not having the stadium open to see the Yanks BP. I don’t have tickets to any games yet this year (living 9hrs away, its hard to plan a trip), but if I do go, I will definitely take advantage of that!

2. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

What they didn’t say is that they will be playing “Cotton Eyed Joe” on a loop for the first hour that the gates open.

3. Cam says:

Just got tix to the Cubs game on April 3rd today, so all this news has got me so excited! Bring on the (pre)season!

• pat says:

Nice, I’m goin to the saturday day game. F*ckin $2.50 each. Not too shabby.

• Cam says:

I wish I got the “throwback” prices. I stupidly picked best available when I first tried to get the tix through the Yankee site, and it brought up $200 ones. So I threw those back and tried to get more but they were sold out by the time I did. I got a couple off of StubHub for $40 each though, so I’m not complaining!

4. Ross says:

Ben – I posted about this on my blog a couple of weeks ago when the RSS feed was down (likely why you/Mike missed it):

Thanks again to Mike for alerting me to the RSS feed issue by the way.

5. Ross says:

Sorry, I linked to the wrong post. This is the one I meant to link to:

6. Yankeegirl49 says:

Im glad too! I did the same thing Ben did for the last game and sitting there just taking it in is great. Now instead of spending my money at the Yankee Tavern before the game, Ill be spending it for an extra hour inside.

7. daniel aka bryce harper says:

a little off topic, but i never realized that sal fasano was in the village people

8. Matt says:

Awesome news. Too bad I most likely won’t be going to any fucking games. Has anyone else ha no freaking luck getting single game tickets today?

9. [...] while we could on Tuesday report the good news of increased access to batting practice, today we bemoan the fact that people with seats in the upper reaches of the park will have to [...]