Apr

Who wants a Yankees-branded cell phone?

This week, tens of thousands of people who work in the wireless industry got together in Las Vegas for CTIA 2009. Hundreds of vendors have their products and solutions on display in a ginormous convention floor room — seriously, it takes five minutes to wade through the sea of people from one side of the floor to the other.

Over in the media room, press releases and media kits flood the walls and tables. Normally I just walk by without looking twice — perhaps taking a flash drive if they’re sitting out. One release in particular caught my eye. Why? The Yankees logo, of course. Apparently, a company called Quantum Telecom has partnered with MLB to issue licensed phones. Whoop dee freakin’ doo.

The only good thing about these puppies is the price: $49.99. The phone is unlocked, meaning you can use it with any GSM carrier in the country. Bad news: that means only AT&T or T-Mobile. Further bad news: The price tag, given that these are unlocked phones, makes it seem like they’re not the most functional devices. Check ‘em out for yourself:

Is anyone really going to buy one of these?

Categories : Not Baseball

1. MattG says:

Check out the baseball shaped one. That’d fit nicely in the crotch of my pants.

2. steve (different one) says:

i have an entire channel that does nothing but show re-runs of old reality shows.

people will spend money on anything.

3. MattG says:

I think it went like this:

Joe P: Hey, nice phones! You know, I’ve got this awesome blog–you guys should advertise.

Phone Guys: Yeah, why don’t you leave your card or something.

Joe P: (mutters to self) Heh, I fix you.

4. frits says:

“Is anyone really going to buy one of these?”

hahahaha yeah i know!

[slowly reaches for yankees-branded phone...puts it in pocket...slinks away]

5. Jamal G. says:

This is something that parents might buy for their adolescents as an introductory phone.

6. Dave M says:

NO THANKS!!!

7. jsbrendog says:

dude, you and i both know that people are most definitely going to buy them. And then do everythig they can to flaunt it to everyone they know not really knowing that all they are doing is making those around them want to stab them with a pitchfork.

I say no thanks. I wear team shirts and hats, have a 96 championship mini banner in my room and the full fledged Yankee banner in my living room. other than that I do not need bumper stickers, a dudded up phone, credit card, etc. it’s like bling for the sports fan and it irks me just as much as a platinum grill and your name spelt out in diamonds and platinum on a chain around your neck do.

• steve (different one) says:

note to self: don’t wear diamond encrusted “steve (different one)” necklace to possible RAB meet-up event

• jsbrendog says:

awesome comment.

ps my girlfriend totally has a “nameplate” necklace with her name on it in diamonds etc from when she was in highschool and thought that was “soo super cool” and I make fun of her for it consistently.

plus i should change my tone, the above is in no way judgemental and I won’t automatically despise you for anything i stated I just think it’s lame and that is my opinion (which is obviously right because it is mine and I’m just sooo super cool)

pps if you actually had that necklace it would be awesome by default just because it said (different one) afyter your name in diamonds.

8. Sorry that I have no comment on the phone.

but…

Do you think the game is going on as scheduled tonight?

9. I’m sorry, what were you guys talking about? You’ll have to speak a little slower, I’m a little drunk from all these glasses of wine I’ve been pouring into my mouthhole:

10. Brooklyn Ed says:

The Yanks don’t seem desperate to move Melky Cabrera. They’ve received multiple calls on him but Rosenthal says “the team will only move him for the right price.

——————
    I wonder who are those multiple teams and what price they asking for?

• steve (different one) says:

have to think the White Sox are one of them.

but this is the right approach. what is the point of giving him away?

• Chris C. says:

It makes no sense to deal Melky Cabrera. He’s young, cheap, has a decent bat, and plays a very good defense with a terrific arm.

Every team should want a guy like Cabrera on the bench to be a late game defensive replacement, on call in case one of the outfielders gets injured, or a pinch runner off the bench for one of the team’s slow-ass slow guys.

• steve (different one) says:

right, unless you are trading him for someone better.

• Brett Gardner is an excellent defender and won’t need a defensive replacement. Damon and Nady might, but Swisher is also an excellent defender and he can be the defensive replacement for them. And, whenever Swish takes over for Nady as the starter, the outfield of Damon-Gardner-Swish will be three above average to well above average defenders, thus making Melky all the more irrelevant.

Also, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Cody Ransom be able to handle LF/RF in a pinch. He’s a utility guy, may as well groom him for that role.

Melky should be moved for three reasons:
        1) We already have all the offense, defense, and substitutional versatility we could possibly need with our primary 4 outfielders of Damon, Gardner, Nady, and Swish
        2) Melky as a 5th outfielder only adds defensive value and since he plays only the OF (where he’s buried on the depth chart) and not the IF, that defensive value isn’t significant
        3) He’s out of oprions, limiting his roster flexibility

When you really look at it, it’s more optimal to have, say, an Eric Duncan or Shelley Duncan as the 25th man on the roster over Melky, since they can play some positions other than just the OF and can be shuttled back down to Scranton if we need a short term fix elsewhere (like, say, an extra catcher for a road trip because Jorge’s shoulder is barking or something like that.)

11. Mike R. - Retire 21 says:

I need e-mail and internet capabilities, so I’m going to order the Derek Jeter isn’t really BlackBerry. Autographed by Sheff himself. BLING!

12. Johnny says:

I’ve been coming to RAB all off-season and this is the first post i’ve seen tagged horrendously retarded, which is great because I’ve been wondering how stupid something had to be to earn that. Now I know

13. handtius says:

That’s a shitastic piece of shite. I will openly ridicule anyone I see with this phone.

14. Jeremy says:

Pales in comparison to the Sports Illustrated football phone.