May

Chien-Ming Wang to be activated tonight

Just a quick note: Because of Joba Chamberlain‘s minor injury, the Yankees will activate Chien-Ming Wang from the DL and make him available as a long reliever tonight. That should cost Jon Albaladejo his spot on the roster. We’ll update when we get the full details on the transaction.

Update by Ben (12:25 p.m.): Just a note from last night: After the game, Joba said that he will be starting on Tuesday. He is “100 percent confident” of it. The Yankees are simply being precautionary. This move will limit their options in regards to Wang’s and Phil Hughes‘ schedules over the next few days though.

Categories : Asides

1. whozat says:

I feel like, if Kennedy were healthy, this call would have gone to him. It’s an interesting lesson in how different things can all compound to exacerbate a problem…because of Kennedy’s injury, Joba’s bruise leads to Wang getting activated off the DL before he’s maybe ready, and now they can’t send him down to AAA again, so he’ll have to prove he’s right in the bigs — and if he’s not…then I dunno what they do :-)

2. Moshe Mandel says:

I would guess that they use him as a long man over the next few days, and then have him split the start with Hughes on Monday, slotting him back into the rotation in that spot for the next turn.

3. jsbrendog says:

crap. what if he ba ba ba bombbbbs?

4. J.R. says:

Isn’t this why we have Tomko? I thought that he was supposed to be a long man?

• leokitty says:

I have no idea what the point of Tomko is. I thought last night was the perfect time for him after Aceves was done, and he didn’t come out.

• whozat says:

he’s been throwing 1, maybe 2 innings an outing in AAA. So, he’s not stretched out at all. That said, I figured yesterday after Aceves would have been a good time to get him some innings as well. Though, maybe they wanted to give Alby a low-leverage chance to improve his stock — and he didn’t.

5. dkidd says:

i’m going tonight and the only people i want to see pitch are aj and mo

6. leokitty says:

Ugh I don’t like this move at all. This is going to hurt Wang in the long run, I think.

7. Chris says:

It wouldn’t surprise me to see Joba go on the DL. That would give him a full 15 days to rest, and skip a couple of his starts keeping his innings down. Wang could throw a few innings in relief tonight, and then take Joba’s spot in the rotation on Tuesday. When Joba is ready to come back, Hughes gets sent down.

• jsbrendog says:

only issue with this is if wang blows again then youve got no joba, no kennedy, and hghes already in the rotation. so what then? igawa? i guess aceves but even that…i dunno…i do not like this move at all///it makes no sense

• Chris says:

Wang really has nothing more to do at AAA to prove he’s ready. The only thing left is to have him face ML hitters. Even in this situation, you’re only looking at 2 (maybe 3) starts for him.

• sic says:

That sounds good to me.

• Nady Nation says:

I like this idea.

• whozat says:

If Wang can perform at league-average levels I like it. If not…then we’re in a huge lurch until Joba gets back.

• Will (the other one) says:

B-b-b-b-but teh yankees r abusin the dl!!1!

Seriously, though, this sounds like a good idea now that there’s no going back on the Wang move. If he’s bad again, he slides back in as an “emergency” long reliever, and Aceves makes a spot start or two as needed–the guy’s certainly looked good enough up to this point to warrant confidence in his ability to do so.

I’m definitely not saying that I agree with calling Wang up like this, but now that it’s done, Chris’s idea seems more than reasonable.

8. I don’t like this move.

• Zack says:

they had their bullpen pitch 8 innings last year, what happens if AJ gets a come backer or gets hurt in the 2nd inning?

• jsbrendog says:

send down albie and bring up robertson. tomko can pitch, robertson can pitch, bruney can pitch, and then you could have veras throw 1 more inning since he’s thrown multiple 3 innings games and only threw 2 yesterday.

9. Chip says:

I actually really like this move. Let Wang work back some confidence in a less stressful role. Rather than a whole week of the entire MSM writing about how this is the most important start in Wang’s career and letting him think about it too long, just throw him in the 6th inning of a 5-1 game and let him go to work. Once he’s got that under his belt, hopefully his head will be right to start again

• whozat says:

I wouldn’t mind it if the Yanks were up by 6 at the end of the 7th tonight, so Wang could just finish it out with 30-40 pitches.

• tim randle says:

I wouldn’t mind it if the Yanks were up by 6 12 at the end of the 7th tonight, so Wang could just finish it out with 30-40 pitches.

fixed, no. improved, yes.

10. Matt-Pitt says:

Not a fan of this, but I trust the FO enough. If Wang didn’t show them something positive in the minors, they wouldn’t have made the call. Obviously he showed some light in the tunnel somewhere in those starts and they feel he is ready to contribute back at the MLB level. While I do feel like it was rushed, I also have a feeling they have a plan in hand… Lets hope it is a good one.

• whozat says:

They had a plan…it involved Wang making another minor league start. That plan has now changed, due to unfortunate circumstance, so it’s probably not something they’re as comfortable with as the original plan.

• Matt-Pitt says:

No, I know what the original plan was. Wang starts today, Hughes still keeps his start in Texas and see they from there. I was referring to whatever plan they have in place now, which so far only looks like making Wang a long reliever. Everything right now is speculation on what they plan to do, except for that. I’m hoping they have something already figured out since they activated him.

11. William says:

Anything that gets Albaledejo off the 25-man for at least 10 days is fine by me.

12. A.D. says:

Interesting for Wang going forward & if Hughes gets his next start.

I’m fine with it since I much prefer have more arms in the pen than less, though I would think/hope Bruney, Coke, Tomko, & Mo (assuming he’s available) would be enough.

• kimonizer says:

This also may be a way of preparing a long relief space for Hughes. Have Wang in long relief, then Hughes makes his final start, Wang slots into rotation for Joba, Hughes goes into bullpen, then Joba slots into rotation to replace the now missing Hughes.

Don’t know how the schedule works but could be their idea. Although I still think that Hughes is better served in AAA. Then again maybe they will only keep him with the big club until Marte comes back (when the hell is that supposed to be)?

13. Tony says:

Girardi demands 3 catchers and 13 pitchers.

• tim randle says:

Interleague play demands a pinch hitter. Or two.

guess Joe G wins on that one…

(note: not counting Inhell Berroa as a PH…)

14. jsbrendog says:

wtf kennedy!?!?! way to get an aneurysm when we need you. bust.

cashman sucks for not having another starter ready to go so wang can make his rehab starts in the minors.

/lohud commentor’d

15. dkidd says:

from david cone:

instead of jerking wang back and forth, cashman wants to gradually stretch wang out

16. dkidd says:

tonight’s my first game. is the museum worth missing a few at-bats?

• Mike Pop says:

I didn’t even go in last night. There was a long line, but my friends did and they said it was nice. But the missed Jeter and Cano’s double..

17. Mike Pop says:

I like it.

Let Wang throw some quality innings out of the bullpen before you give him a chance to start if he’s not right yet.

If he makes a start and only goes 1-3 innings, it really hurts the bullpen.

I guess Alby does lose his spot.

18. Drew says:

It will be good to see Wanger back up here. Hopefully he’s ready.

19. bonestock94 says:

Yahoo Sports is reporting something contradictory to the daily news:

“RHP Chien-Ming Wang will make at least one more rehab start before he returns to the Yankees. Wang, who threw 13 scoreless innings in his first two starts for Class AAA Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, is scheduled to start again for the club tonight against Pawtucket, the Red Sox’ top affiliate. Wang went on the disabled list with hip weakness after going 0-3 with a 34.50 ERA in his first three starts.”

20. [...] got a decent amount of roster news today, so let’s recap: Chien-Ming Wang has been activated from the DL, taking the place of Jon Albaladejo, who was optioned to Triple-A Scranton. Brian Bruney, who [...]