May

Game 39: The Start of Something Big

CC SabathiaSo the Yankees kinda have a good thing going right now. They’re coming off a four-game sweep of the formerly first place Twins, and have won their last six overall. But wait, it gets better.

On the mound tonight is CC Sabathia, who has a 2.84 ERA, 0.92 WHIP, and a .552 OPS against in his last four starts (31.2 IP). After a rocky start, it’s safe to say that CC is pitching just like the Yankees expected him to when they forked over $161M over the winter. The last time Sabathia faced the Orioles he twirled the best start of his Yankee career, throwing a four-hit complete game shutout. Eleven days later, the Yankees are looking for the same kind of performance out of their ace.

With Sabathia on the mound there’s a good chance the Yanks won’t need to dig to deep into their bullpen, but in case they need too they’ll have the services of Brian Bruney for the first time in exactly four weeks. Bruney’s return couldn’t have come at a better time, because it looks like Phil Coke will be unavailable tonight after throwing 36 pitches last night. To make room for Bruney on the roster, the Yanks … have done nothing yet. They’re going to make a decision after batting practice, so stay tuned for an update.

Here’s the starting nine:

Jeter, SS
Damon, LF
Teixeira, 1B
A-Rod, 3B
Matsui, DH
Swisher, RF – .148 BABIP in May
Cano, 2B
Melky, CF
Cervelli, C

And on the mound, the sensational southpaw, CC Sabathia.

Update (6:43pm): Edwar Ramirez has been optioned to Triple-A Scranton to make room for Bruney.

Photo Credit: Mitchell Layton, Getty Images

Categories : Game Threads

299 Comments

1. Moshe Mandel says:

Obviously they are taking so long with the roster decision because they dont know how to tell Mo that he has been sent down so that Coke can close.

• Tank the Frank (formerly just "Frank") says:

Coke: You’re better at this than me.

Mo: I know. Get the fuck out of my way.

Coke: Yessir.

2. Tank the Frank (formerly just "Frank") says:

What in God’s sweet, sweet name are they waiting for? Designate Veras and be done with it. Let him be someone elses problem.

• whozat says:

I mean…I guess I can understand if they want to decide between DFAing Veras and optioning Edwar, but what does BP have to do with anything?

• zs190 says:

Maybe they are using those guys to throw BP? Edwar’s fastball is well-suited for BP.~

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Edwar has options. You send him down first. DFAing Veras should be done at the expense of finally getting one of Robertson/Melancon here full time.

• whozat says:

Can’t…can’t it be both?

• Tank the Frank (formerly just "Frank") says:

Yeah, thinking rationally, that makes more sense. Edwar has options to use. No sense is losing Veras for good just yet when he still can have some use in a mop up role or something.

3. Moshe Mandel says:

It’s taking so long because Girardi likes Veras, while Cashman likes Edwar as one of his “finds.”

• whozat says:

Hey, he found a couple months of serviceable relief pitching for free. Aces. Now get him out of here.

And Joe…you can invite Jose over for Thanksgiving if you like him so much. I’m tired of watching him come in and walk people. Next.

4. Mike R. - Retire 21 says:

Coke’s save yesterday really took me back to 1996. Those were “exciting” saves.

5. Brooklyn Ed says:

RHP Edwar Ramirez has been optioned to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.

6. Moshe Mandel says:

Edwar optioned per Hoch.

7. james says:

I like this lineup.

8. pat says:

Why didn’t you eliminate him Albert?.. hahaha

9. I can work with this.

Feels like such a long time ago the Yanks had lost five straight…but I like these new Yankees.

Now, if we can win tonight like, say, 12-0 or 14-2, I’ll feel much better. My heart could use the night off.

10. Bill R says:

See ya later Edwar! Hope the bullpen door doesn’t hit you on the way out! 1 down 1 to go! Give Veras the boot and let Melancon develop in the Bigs!

• whozat says:

When you say “develop”, what do you mean? Would you actually be ok with him failing and still getting to go out there, or is “develop” code for “dominate completely, or else I’ll be disappointed”?

• JobaWockeeZ says:

As in be like Joba and strike out the side every time you pitch.

A grounder will result in a shower of boos!!

• Bill R says:

Well I mean he’s not going to get better pitching to AAA hitters so if he’s one day going to be Mo’s Heir to the Throne then He needs to start facing big league talent every day. If that means he fails then so be it but we will never know until he gets a few months worth of big league work and not just a few weeks. He walked 5 batters and only struck out 2 in 3.1 IP so he clearly needs some work. He’s destroying the Minor league guys but he needs to be up here and working, I mean if we could tolerate Edwar and Veras and Marte why not give Melancon a few months of work even if he struggles at first.

• The Artist says:

I understand that sentiment as a fan, but the guy did everything we asked of him and never said a bad word about anyone. The fact that he didn’t pitch well this year is unfortunate, but he doesn’t deserve the ass kick on the way out. I’m sure he’s pretty bummed out at getting the news.

11. Tank the Frank (formerly just "Frank") says:

I hope we’re winning this game by as much as we should on paper so Bruney can get some low-leverage work in tonight. Nothing too taxing.

12. Patrick says:

I wonder how long Tomko will stick around. I wonder if he will be next when the Wanger comes back. I also wonder how long Berroa sticks around. I guess they’re fine with the Damon/Gardner/Melky/Swish OF for now, but when the X-Man comes back, there are even more roster issues. I guess Berroa packs his bags with Nady and maybe Veras packs his bags once Wang comes back with Phil Hughes going to the pen.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Phil Hughes is going to AAA when Wang is ready. He will not be used as mop up duty. He needs to develop.

• They’re not going to send Hughes to the pen. They’d send him down to AAA if need be but he’s a starter all the way.

• MattG says:

Nady being only able to DH, and Matsui maybe also being only able to DH, definitely creates roster problems. I wonder what the DL czars (aka Jayson Stark) would say if the Yankees activated Nady, then wanted to DL him again later on because they need another outfielder. In my mind, that would be totally fine, but probably its not.

13. MattG says:

I did not realize that Swisher has a .148 BABIP in May, but I did realize he has struck out in about half his at bats (because Michael Kay might have mentioned that once or twice).

When you combine those two things, I think that leads to a negative batting average. See, Nick can do anything–even bat under zero!

14. Rene says:

im stuck at work, anybody have a game link

15. Game 39: The Start of Something Big

… hahahahahaha, Holy Bartender, I get it, that’s a GREAT ONE!

16. Mike Axisa says:

We’re being overrun by cell phone wavers behind the plate tonight.

17. I can’t decide whether or not I like the new “Baltimore” road unis.

I feel like it’s a good concept, but poorly executed. It tapers too much; the “B” is too big and the “e” is too small…

18. Tank the Frank (formerly just "Frank") says:

Jesus.

19. Ayayay CC, you gotta make that play.

20. Linnea says:

Whoa, CC, what’s going on?

21. I have no idea why CC didn’t reach down for that ball. That was his.

22. Mike Axisa says:

Hey, Roberts and Jones led off CC’s last start against the O’s with singles, and we all know what happened next.

23. Meh, what can you do. Brian Roberts is good at baseball.

24. pat says:

bust.

25. Mike Axisa says:

And that’s part of the reason why Cervelli needs to go back to the minors when Jorge comes back. Roberts had a clear path to the plate, you gotta get in his way.

26. Tank the Frank (formerly just "Frank") says:

Ok fine. 1-0. Bergesen shouldn’t last 9 batters.

27. JobaWockeeZ says:

CC Gave up a run?!?!?!?!? BUST!

28. Man, I miss when Jeter had some speed.

29. Moshe Mandel says:

Ortiz walks in his first PA.

30. Mike Axisa says:

So bad for chemistry.

31. JobaWockeeZ says:

Unclutch bastard!
    I wouldn’t take it any other way!!!

• Linnea says:

We all know A-Rod’s home runs don’t count this early in the game ;)

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Of course not. He took steroids so his HR’s do not count. he is a disgrace to baseball and I want him gone from the MLB.

/LoHud

32. Moshe Mandel says:

He is back. What an AB.

33. Tank the Frank (formerly just "Frank") says:

GOOOODNESS! Don’t hurt ‘em Alex. That was just plain mean.

34. Jackson says:

That was a great at bat

35. pat says:

Haha too bad it only counts for 1 run because its the first inning of the game.

36. Tank the Frank (formerly just "Frank") says:

Where is the crowd? These fans are spoiled.

37. pc69 says:

Ok, one thing that is different this year about this team is they seem to be having more fun and are not as tight as in the past. Best thing to happen to them was ARod missing the first part of the season, let the team develop while keeping media hounds from rehashing a dead story. (Insert Selena Roberts)

• Linnea says:

Could be that, could be the Burnett & Swisher factor. Whatever it is, I’ll take it.

• whozat says:

It’s funny. A week ago, there were all sorts of people posting about how “tight” the team looked, and how Girardi needed to be fired because he was keeping them all cranked up.

Really, folks, it’s just about winning. When a team is winning, they look loose and like they’re having fun. When they’re not, they look tight and cranky. We just crave some kind of narrative, so the media puts one together for us, and projecting our own emotional state onto the team confirms it for us.

38. pat says:

Where do I sign up to be Justin Tuck’s dorky white friend? I have collared shirts, I like to drink beer.

39. I like Nolan Reimold’s approach at the plate. Very well centered, good hacks.

40. I guess I’m the only Yankees/Nets fan out there, aren’t I?

• Moshe Mandel says:

Yup. Knicks need to win the lottery and get either Griffin (and let Lee go) or Rubio (and let Nate go). that way they replenish with improved talent, plus leave cap space for next year. It’s about time they had some luck.

• Nathan says:

There are a few of us…

• No, there’s got to be others pathetic Jersey fans.

Speaking of basketball, as a Knicks fan, I’m hoping we win the draft lottery, Blake Griffin is a beast. But, I only want to win the #1 pick and take Griffin, I don’t want the second or the third picks, because all of the consensus next four guys (Ricky Rubio, Hasheem Thabeet, Jordan Hill, James Harden) scare the crap out of me, I think all of them have serious limitations.

If we’re not getting Griffin, quite frankly I think the guys who will be there at #8 (Stephen Curry, DeMar DeRozan, Tyreke Evans, Brandon Jennings, Jrue Holliday) may be better than the guys who go #2 and #3. I want no part of Thabeet or Rubio.

41. pat says:

I think I’d be alright with watching Blake Griffin play for the Knicks.

42. Jackson says:

I see four seats open in the first row behind the plate. Any chance we can get two guys to dress up as umpires and demonstrably ring guys up?

43. JobaWockeeZ says:

Oh man, when we get Nady and Jorge back, we’ll be virtually unstoppable.

44. Tank the Frank (formerly just "Frank") says:

That’s more like it. Fuckin’ shinebox….

45. e mills says:

What’s CC’s velocity on gameday? MASN has him hitting 95 mph tops…just seeing if that’s correct

46. Mike Axisa says:

Alex Rios got caught trying to steal on Tim Wakefield. Wow. Just … wow.

47. pc69 says:

CC is heating up. Good for us, bad for opponents. Just the way it should be….Yankees pounding everyone…

48. pat says:

There’s alot to like about that avis commercial.

49. Alex Rodriguez does the little things to help you win, like wipe his hand before throwing the ball so he gets a good grip.

He’s also very sanitary. Cleanliness is next to Moliness.

50. Mike Axisa says:

CC is cruisin’.

51. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

I saw Angels & Demons today.

• Your thoughts? I enjoyed the book. Much better than The DaVinci Code.

• Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

I didn’t read this one. I’m glad I didn’t because, it left some suspense in what was to happen. That being said, it was still pretty predictable.

I did like it though. Rebecca, they showed a lot of ancient swords and weaponry.

• Tank the Frank (formerly just "Frank") says:

I went and saw The Da’Vinci Code so that precludes me from seeing it no matter what the reviews are.

52. Who the fuck has Dave Burba as their favorite pitcher? Seriously?

Although, if you asked me for my favorite baseball, football, and basketball players, I may well tell you Gerald “Ice” Williams, James Hasty, and Trent Tucker…

53. Tank the Frank (formerly just "Frank") says:

Shinebox.

54. The Artist says:

” YANKEES slugger Alex Rodriguez seems to have traded in a vintage Madonna for a late-model Kate Hudson.

The blond, Los Angeles-born actress — who met A-Rod at the reopening of the Fontainebleau hotel in Miami Beach last November — was photographed at Friday’s game, cheering on the Bronx Bombers at the new Yankee Stadium.

But the real action came later that night at Mustang Grill on Second Avenue. Our source said a bartender at the Southwestern joint at 85th Street “was asking patrons not to go in the back room around 1 a.m. because A-Rod and Kate Hudson were back there making out.” ”

Guess that explains her being in the Legend Seats the other night.

55. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

I love Cervelli’s enthusiasm.

56. That homer by A-Rod was a shot.

57. Mike Pop says:

Wow. Shaved head for Bruney.

58. Bruney looks better with hair.

The bald guys in the bullpen…the three stooges? The three relievers that can actually get outs?

59. Cat like reflexes.

60. Mr. Rodriguez says:

Aceves doesn’t really look mexican

61. VO says:

Huff 0-18 against CC, I just fist pumped.

62. The Artist says:

Whoever said that when you should cook green beans they should still have a little ‘snap’ in the middle is clueless.

Cook those sumbitches till they scream ‘Uncle’. CARMELIZE those motherfuckers along with the onions. Add the mushrooms last, though. I put them on after the heat is off.

63. OMM, Arsenio Hall still has a television show?

64. Mike Pop says:

Come on A-Rod, we want another unclutch HR.

65. John says:

Alex’s OBP is .409…damn that’s good cpnsidering average is .212 for now.

66. What, no homer ALEX YOU SUCK LOSER!!!!

67. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

Can we call this pitcher Turd Bergeson?

68. I’m not sure the Yankees got the memo that Bergesen has a .411 BAA the second time through the order.

69. The Artist says:

These Cigarette commercials are getting cruel.

70. Mike Pop says:

That commercial is crazy.

Think it’s like a commercial, next thing you know, dude is bout to die.

71. Tank the Frank (formerly just "Frank") says:

The Yankees must really enjoy tight ball games.

72. Mike Pop says:

Clubhouse cancer.

73. And A-Rod’s lack of lateral movement hurts a bit there.

74. Tank the Frank (formerly just "Frank") says:

We really don’t do well against these nibbling type pitchers… Uehara, Slowey, Palmer etc.

75. Ken Singleton: Ornithologist.

76. John says:

wtf? how do you walk zaun?

77. Tank the Frank (formerly just "Frank") says:

Shinebox Andino.

78. Mike Pop says:

CC says sit-down, punk.

79. NC Saint says:

Michael Kay: “now when they think of the future, they think of Franky Cervelli.”

No offense, Franky, but yikes.

80. Bye, bye, Brian.

81. The Artist says:

Peter Abraham is on forced leave.

NoMass is on vacation.

Next thing you know, Mike A. and Joe P. will be in Vegas again.

82. Tank the Frank (formerly just "Frank") says:

How is Kevin Millar still playing baseball effectively.

83. e mills says:

everyone seems to be trying to hit HRs

84. Dude, Yankees, it’s okay to get another baserunner.

85. Tank the Frank (formerly just "Frank") says:

This is brutal.

86. Tank the Frank (formerly just "Frank") says:

13 in a row. But honestly, a lot of folks here saw this coming.

87. Hmmm, they’re doing the draft lottery different this year.

Balls on camera. (Yeah, I said it.)

88. The Artist says:

Ooooohhhhhhh. Just realized something.

If the Sox take 2 of 3 from the Blue Jays, and we sweep the O’s then we’re in a flat footed tie with the Sox and we’re both are 1 game in the loss behind the Jays.

How soon these things can turn around, huh?

89. Mr. Rodriguez says:

I’d still hope for the Jays to take all 3 vs the sox

90. Tampa Yankee says:

So the talk down here in Tampa is that the Rays are looking around to trade Kazmir because, as the talking radio heads say, he’s done like “big papi done”. They say he’s only hitting 87-88 now and they should trade while he still has some value.

I think its crazy to give up on him because of his history and age I think he might be in a similar boat as Cliff Lee, Greinke, Verlander where they have a bump in the road one year for whatever reason. I’m a little biased as I’ve always wanted to see him in pinstripes.

This may not be the place to ask this but what are all your thoughts?

• pat says:

As soon as you list “talking radio heads” as your main source you gotta take a step back.

• Hmm. Something about that rubs me the wrong way. I’m not sure why, but I wouldn’t.

I mean, what would we have to give up?

• The Artist says:

“he’s done like “big papi done””

Meaning steroids?

I don’t know if there’s anything to that, but he’s a little guy who a power pitcher and they usually don’t hold up well. He had the elbow problem last year, I’ll bet its something related to that and he’s trying to pitch through it.

• John says:

I guess I’ll think about Kazmir for Veras, at least Veras has “upside”

• Tank the Frank (formerly just "Frank") says:

Put him in TEH BULLPEN!1!!1

• Nathan says:

I donno, too much to give up.. and frankly he is not more than a #3… and health issues too

The Mets got a bust in return… but Kazmir has been held back by a ton of injuries too… so buyer beware

• Mike Axisa says:

Kazmir’s career could end today, and it would still be a terrible trade, literally a franchise crippler.

• The Artist says:

Think of where the Mets would have been had they NOT made that deal. Probably get to the WS in 2006, and the playoffs each of the past 2 years. They’d be the best team in town, and the Yanks would be playing catch-up.

91. Where did Cervelli get a bat?

Seriously, I am kind of in love with this kid. I am definitley in love with the eyes.

92. Cervelli is unimpressed by your step off, Bergeson.

93. Luke says:

Cy Bergesen?

94. Mike Axisa says:

This Bergeson kid went to the same high school as Phil Hughes, drafted the same year too.

95. Mike Axisa says:

That was a hit and run minus the hit.

96. Allan Houston is one smooth, suave muthaf$#%ka.

97. pat says:

BAh 8th

98. pat says:

haha the kings got fooked.

99. Mike Pop says:

Freakin’ Clippers.

100. Sean C says:

a 3-run jack from a-rod would certainly be nice right now. I’ll take a base hit just to not appear greedy.

101. In a month, A-Rod will drive that pitch to right for a double.