Jun

Brewer, Melky power Charleston to win

Two years ago today on DotF, Eric Duncan went 2 for 4 after battling a bruised thumb, and I foolishly thought it could be the start of something big.

Melvin Croussett was named Dominican Summer League Pitcher of the Week for the second straight week.

Triple-A Scranton (1-0 win to Toledo)
Kevin Russo & Eric Duncan: both 1 for 3 – Russo drew a walk & K’ed … E-Dunc scored a run
Austin Jackson: 3 for 4, 1 2B – 14 for his last 27 (.519)
Shelley Duncan & Juan Miranda: both 0 for 4 - Shelley K’ed once, Miranda twice
Justin Leone, Kevin Cash & Doug Bernier: all 0 for 3 - Leone & Cash each K’ed once, Bernier twice … Cash also allowed a passed ball
Chris Stewart: 2 for 3, 1 2B, 1 RBI
Josh Towers: 6 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 3 BB, 5 K, 10-3 GB/FB – 57 of 93 pitches were strikes (61.3%)
Anthony Claggett: 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 K, 4-0 GB/FB – just 13 of 30 pitches were strikes (43.3%) … you ain’t throwin’ two scoreless innings in the big leagues with that strike to ball ratio, kid
Jon Albaladejo: 1 IP, zeroes, 1 K, 2-0 GB/FB – 5 of 8 pitches were strikes

Double-A Trenton had a scheduled off day.

High-A Tampa (8-4 loss to Palm Beach)
Jack Rye & Seth Fortenberry: both 0 for 3 – Rye drew two walks & scored a run … Fortenberry drew a walk & K’ed twice
Eric Fryer: 0 for 5, 2 K, 1 E (fielding)
Damon Sublett: 2 for 4, 1 BB
Austin Romine: 2 for 5, 1 2B, 1 RBI
Brandon Laird: 0 for 2, 1 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 1 E (fielding) – just a .303 SLG this year after .498 last year
Matt Cusick: 2 for 3, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 BB, 1 E (fieding)
Brian Baisley: 1 for 4, 1 2B, 2 RBI, 1 K
Mitch Hilligoss: 1 for 3, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 CS
Lance Pendleton: 4 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 2 K, 2 HB, 3-6 GB/FB
Humberto Sanchez: 1 IP, zeroes, 1 K, 0-2 GB/FB
Noel Castillo: 2.1 IP, 2 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 2 K, 2 WP, 1 HB, 0-4 GB/FB
Tim Norton: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 1-3 GB/FB – allowed both inherited runners to score

Low-A Charleston (11-4 win over Augusta)
Jose Pirela: 1 for 5, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 K – he’s having himself a helluva season
Abe Almonte & Corban Joseph: both 0 for 3, 1 R – Almonte drew a pair of walks as he returned from the DL … CoJo drove in two, drew a walk, stole a bag & K’ed
David Adams: 2 for 4, 2 R, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K
Dan Brewer: 4 for 4, 4 R, 2 2B, 2 3B, 2 RBI, 1 HBP, 1 SB - wow
Melky Mesa: 3 for 5, 2 R, 1 2B, 2 3B, 1 RBI, 1 K – ditto Brewer’s comment
Neall French: 2 for 4, 4 RBI, 1 K, 1 E (throwing)
Mitch Abeita: 1 for 4, 1 2B, 1 BB, 1 K
Ray Kruml: 0 for 5, 1 K
David Phelps: 5.2 IP, 8 H, 4 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 6 K, 7-3 GB/FB, 1 E (pickoff)
Brandon Braboy: 2.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 4-2 GB/FB
Charles Nolte: 1 IP, zeroes, 3-0 GB/FB

Categories : Down on the Farm

1. Dorian says:

Dan Brewer seems like a hitting machine. I’m startin to get really excited about him.

2. Dan Brewer and Melky Mesa had two triples each? Did the other team have any outfielders?

• Jeffrey says:

Haha, good question. I wonder if that has ever happened before. What’s the record for triples in a game for that league?

What position does Brewer play? The MiLB website lists him as a DH, but that seems odd just in the fact that he must play some other position even if it isn’t that well. I can’t see many teams developing a guy who is strictly a DH since it limits flexibility. How long until he moves up to Tampa, his numbers seem to suggest he is ready.

3. Doug says:

forget about ajax’s 3 for 4. no k’s, and only 2 in his last 5 games.

• Dorian says:

What are you, his mother? relax. We all know what Ajax is doing and has been doing since the beginning of the season. Nobody really even know who Brewer is, let alone that he is hitting .345.

• Doug says:

so we can’t talk about jackson now. sorry, didn’t know the rules have changed around here. he is still a prospect, right?

• Dorian says:

But there is also no need to antagonize the people who want to know more about Dan Brewer. Especially, when we probably already know what Austin eats for his pre game meal. We don’t even know anything about Dan. Take a chill pill.

• K.B.D. says:

What’s up your ass?

• Drew says:

Brewer, Low A. Ajax, has his own nickname already, and is a mere phone call away from NY. He is viewed by most as one of our OF’s next year.
        We shouldn’t follow and get hyped for Ajax, rather, follow Dan Brewer and Pat Venditte. mmkay

• Dorian says:

WE KNOW. Once again, we all know about Ajax. I personally am more intrigued by guys who I don’t know about. I know Ajax is great. There have been major newspaper stories written about him. Every Yankee fan knows about Austin Jackson. There are hardcore yankee prospect fans who know nothing about Dan Brewer.

I just don’t see why you took it so personally that no one said anything about Austin in the first three comments.

• Doug says:

who took it personally? the 1st 3 comments were fine. i couldn’t add anything more, so i wrote a comment on ajax. sorry, my bad. i’ll run my posts by you first next time, make sure they’re okay.

• K.B.D. says:

I don’t think our friend Dorian has a strong grip on reality. It was you, Sir Doug, who took the A-Jax thing far too personally and antagonized everyone. For shame.

• Drew says:

Who got offended that no one mentioned Ajax in the first 3 comments? Not me, or anyone else. You misunderstood Doug’s comment, he said forget about Ajax’s 3-4, rather, look at the fact that he had no k’s, which, in Ajax land, is a big deal.

• Dorian says:

OOOOOOOOOOO…In the words of the great Jack Nicholson: “Don’t I feel like the fucking asshole?”

• Big B says:

Dorian – relax baby, relax…take a chill pill. Life is too short for whining and arguing over something so silly.

• Dorian says:

No seriously man I thought Doug was being sarcastic when he said forget about Ajax. He was just excited about him not k’ing. I misunderstood.

4. Drew says:

Josh Towers and Casey Fossum to the rotation! Jobber and Wang to the pen!

• Jeffrey says:

Not the best option. There’s a reason both those guys are currently in the minors. Towers has a career MLB ERA of 4.96 and couldn’t get it done on ’06 and ’07 while with the Jays. I would view Towers as more of an option out of the bullpen. I like the fact that his only walking 7 guys in 38 IP would give him the 2nd lowest walk rate among bullpen arms. I don’t disagree that Fossum has some good numbers too, but are they really better than what the Yankees have in the rotation? I don’t think so.

These guys could get closer to returning to the majors if Wang doesn’t do well on Weds, but I’d much rather see Wang get back to where he once was as a pitcher.

Fossum and Towers could be packaged in a deal to get a bullpen arm or a guy off the bench from a team who needs starters.

• Drew says:

My man J-Dog. It was a joke.

• K.B.D. says:

I’m pretty sure he was kidding. And I doubt Fossum or Towers could get anything of value in the bullpen (seeing as how we don’t need any more bench help with Nady and Ransom returning). They were picked off the scrap heap to fill out the AAA rotation, everybody had a chance at them, including these teams who need starters.

• Charlie says:

wow, quite the lengthy reply to what was clearly supposed to be a joke.

• Charlie says:

And also, dude, NO ONE would want fossum or towers in a package of any kind. they’re 30+ year old scrub fillers, for god’s sake

5. Doug says:

2 caught stealings for mr. romine as well

6. zs190 says:

I had no idea Melky stands for Melquisedec. So I went looking for Melky Mesa’s stat and wow, he’s 6’1, 165? That’s some serious pop for a guy that skinny. He’s 22 playing in Charleston though and not doing all that great except the power this season, probably a non-prospect I guess.

I’m kind of excited about Pirela, switch hitter and just 19, holding his own in low A, not bad at all, .406 OBP and 14/17 BB/K ratio; small sample though, hopefully he’s legit.

7. gary says:

ok i read dotf every day…and i guess i haven’t followed closely enough. melvin croussett. whats the deal on this kid. is he a real prospect, how old is he, etc. i know he’s turned into some sort of a meme, but whats the underlying story? thanks ever so much.

8. Joey H. says:

Ha. This blog has come such a long way in 2 years. The DOTF posts of 2 years ago had a few comments a piece and Mike A. not capitalizing his I’s

9. McCaff says:

ha read the article on Croussett winning the player of the week. It translates it for you and it’s quite entertaining.

• Jeffrey says:

My favorite was when it called him a her. I was really confused. I was like, “Wait they let girls play on the Dominican team?”

• Miles Roche says:

My favorite is when they write, “De La Cruz had a tugboat. . .”
        LMAO!

• Jeffrey says:

ROFL. Now I see that. Is that better than a grand slam, one step above a golden sombrero, or simply when the pitcher treads water and struggles?

10. Wow. A Humberto Sanchez sighting. He managed to pitch one whole inning without hurting himself.

• K.B.D. says:

Humberto’s injury history is a joke. During his stints on the “DL” he’s actually just eating. That’s why he’s always on it for extended periods of time. They don’t call him Hungry Hungry Humberto for nothing.

I always imagine Humberto as Galactus from the Fantastic Four, except with a better fastball.

11. Jeffrey says:

Hmm Jack Rye & Seth Fortenberry makes me think of strawberry jam on rye bread. What is a Fortenberry anyway? Who has the best name in the Yankees farm system?

12. Chris says: