Jun

Quick hits: Joe Girardi, Teixeira’s All Star chances

By Joe: No topic divides a fanbase quite like the debate over the franchise’s current manager. It takes some serious string of winning, a la Joe Torre in the late 90s, for a manager to get near universal approval. Joe Girardi has not come close to achieving that. Fans take issue with him for some reason or another; some legitimate, some a bit less than. Gary Armida, formerly of the excellent FullCountPitch.com and now writing for NY Baseball Digest, takes a look at the situation. He’s not a fan, so he’s a bit more detached. The conclusion is mostly positive, though Armida is not hesitant to point out the skipper’s flaws. His best line: “It’s time to let go of the Torre era and realize that there is a manager in place who has grown from mistakes and isn’t afraid to try new things.” As with most things Armida, I suggest a full read.

By Ben: With just 54 hours and 30 minutes left until All Star voting closes, Mark Teixeira and Kevin Youkilis are locked in a close battle. While last week Teixeira had the lead, this week, the Red Sox’s first baseman — who actually manned third for the past week — has a slim 40,000-vote lead. To get Teixeira to St. Louis, Yankee fans will have to vote their requisite 25 times a day between now and Thursday night. Voting is here. Vote also for Ian Kinsler too. He leads Dustin Pedroia by 7000 votes. Unseating an undeserved Josh Hamilton would be a-OK with me too.

Categories : Asides

1. Aw, man, if you’re gonna swallow up the off-topic ASG voting convo from the previous thread because it was wrongly off-topic and then put up a post about ASG voting, the least you could do is move the comments from that thread to this one with your magical admin powers.

All you guys are doing is further tarnishing your already damaged credibility.

2. Salty Buggah says:

Damn those Boston fans who have no lives and vote 200+ times a day by using multiple email addresses!!!!

3. Bruno says:

Rick Peterson, the former Pitching Coach for the Oakland A’s and New York Mets had an uncanny way of summarizing the difference between the two cities. He said that in Oakland you played one, 162 game season while in New York you played 162, one game seasons.

Perfectly put.

4. RAB poster says:

Since when were the Soxa juggernaut that wins championships year after year? Becasue they have won 2 in five years? Yeah, that’s comparable to the Yanks winning 4 in five years.

• RAB poster says:

Soxa is Sox a

• Professor Oak says:

Because the sox are the model franchise every team should try to be like. Pfft, I wonder where all that started. I’m very interested to see what Post-Epstein Boston is like, they can’t keep it up that long.

• Joe LA says:

Actually it’s basic sabermetrics, you just have to follow the pattern:

2 WS championships + the DOUBLE-grit twins (Pedroia and Youklis)= 4 WS championships.

See now? 2 + 2 = 4.

Basic math. Extremely awesome, clutchy and magical dynasty.

5. Bruno says:

At this point, there should be zero “Joe Torre didn’t do that” comments like the one YES Network announcer Michael Kay uttered when Rivera was brought in during the 8th inning of the aforementioned Mets series.

Where was Kay during the Torre years? Joe T brought Mo in in the 8th A LOT. He did it in April in Boston after saying during ST that he wouldn’t do that anymore. Kay fail.

• Link says:

And add that Michael Kay couldn’t STAND Joe Torre and that makes the comment all the more ridiculous. Until I remember that Michael Kay said it. It all makes sense now.

6. DaveinMD says:

Girardi needs to stop batting Cano 5th. That’s my biggest complaint right now. Posada needs to hit 5th. How anyone can go 9 games without an RBI hitting 5th in our lineup is beyond me.

7. really really bored at work says:

I just voted for tex 150 times on my 6 email address’s
    I am realllllly bored at work. It even crossed my mind to create a few new email address’s in honor of tex..but my I though better of it…

8. Jeremy says:

Tristan H. Cockcroft strikes again!

9. Jersey says:

I just accepted a new job offer, just so I’d have one more email address with which to cast 75 more votes between now and Thursday.