Sep

Joe tries to write about another team

This little paragraph is the 1,320th post I’ve done on this site. That’s 1,320 posts, mostly about the Yankees, sometimes about league-wide issues. This time, it’s completely about another team. Over at Full Count Pitch, I take a look at the Blue Jays and see where they stand for next season and beyond. Spoiler: It involves trading Halladay

Categories : Asides

1. The Jays? That’s it?

You had me all excited for Torre’s new tell-all book: The Dodger Years: Burning My Bridges Before I’m Finished Building Them, co-authored by Mike Lupica, $24.99, Doubleday Press, available in fine bookstores everywhere.

• jsbrendog says:

i’d request that from my library and then extend it til i was forced to give it back without really reading much of it.

• JohnnyC says:

That WAS in the works but Torre ultimately passed on it because he felt insulted by the publisher’s choice of Mike Lupica. He was hoping for, at the very least, Jeff Pearlman.

2. “He’s got such overpowering stuff,” says his former manager John Gibbons. “That’s what separates him from other guys — his makeup… his mentality.”

Gibbons then challenged Halladay to a fight.

3. Drew says:

Good article.
    I don’t know what they can do. With Lind and Hill entering their prime, they have to decide now if they want to try and win for real or just put together a decent team. If they really want to win with Lind and Hill I don’t see how getting rid of Halladay makes sense. If they trade him, by the time they see a return on their Halla-trade aquisitions Lind and Hill will be in their 30′s and looking for some cashola.

If they want to win I’d say they should make a move on a guy like Lackey which would give them a good and consistent rotation. Bottom line, they are held hostage by Wells… Why does Ricciardi still have a job?

4. Greg F. says:

Ricciardi definitely should’ve traded him at the deadline; he probably could’ve gotten good value for him if he pulled the trigger before the Cliff Lee deal.

I’m sure he’ll still be able to get some value for Halladay, but he has to be sure to take what he can get and not fall into the same trap Bill Smith fell into in the Santana negotiations.

5. They need to cut their losses on Wells as much as possible. Do an ARod with the Rangers deal: Pay a chunk of his salary to get rid of him.

Here’s what’s left on the deal:
    2010:$12.5M, 2011:$23M, 2012:$21M, 2013:$21M, 2014:$21M

Can they afford to pay maybe 4M, 7M, 7M, 7M, and 7M of the deal? That’s a total of 32M over 5 years in exchange for getting rid of the other 66.5M in future payroll. If Wells was only on the books for the team taking him in via trade at 8.5M, 16M, 14M, 14M, and 14M, maybe he’s a little more palatable…

…eh, probably not. Jesus H. Montero, that contract is a traveshamockery.

6. The Artist says:

I left you a comment over there Joe, hope you like it.

7. Davor says:

Interesting question: would a trade where Toronto sends Halladay and Wells and their full salaries for average/slightly below average CF and 1 – 2 B/B- level prospects be fair? (Of course, the only possible buyers would be Boston and Yankees.)

• Davor says:

To clarify my previous post, I’m not sure if without Rios and Wells Toronto would have CF for next season. If they can put on the field complete outfield, they wouldn’t need that CF, only 2 – 3 B/B- level prospects (maybe even C+).