Sep

Open Thread: Ground Rules Reminder

We have to do this every so often, so with the team in a bit of a funk and the playoffs coming around, now is as good a time as any. Below are our Commenting Guidelines, the 11 simple things we ask in return for providing you this wonderful (and free!) site. You can access them at any time via the nav bar above, just under the street sign.

1. River Ave. Blues has never required registration for commenters, and we plan to keep things that way. We ask — but do not require — that you provide a real e-mail address in the e-mail field. We will not share or redistribute your e-mail address, and all e-mail addresses are safe from the prying eyes of spammers.
  2. For the most part, everyone reading and commenting on RAB is a Yankee fan. Those who are not Yankee fans choose to enter the fray anyway. When arguing and opining about the Yankees, remember that we are all fans of the same team. To that end, personal attacks and insults will not be tolerated. Any comments that we deem libelous, defamatory, abusive, harassing or threatening will not be tolerated, and we may ban repeat offenders from contributing to the site. The same is true for fans of other teams who are here to insult Yankee fans. Constructive conversation, however, will not be stifled.
  3. Do not post links to or make mention of any unauthorized retransmissions of Major League Baseball game telecasts. These comments will be removed.
  4. While we try to limit profanity on site, we have not censored comments for profanity. We ask that you be judicious in your use of profanity and keep in mind that fans from all walks of life read and contribute to River Ave. Blues.
  5. Keep comments on topic. Every day during the regular season, we will host a Game Thread. In that thread, feel free to discuss the Yanks, the news of the day, what’s happening in the game, etc. For the rest of the posts, do your best to keep comments related to the topic at hand. News tips should be e-mailed to one of the writers. Contact information is available in the sidebar the right.
  6. If your comment does not appear or you receive a message saying it is awaiting moderation, e-mail us or simply wait. Those comments marked for moderation usually fail one of our spam tests, and we’ll approve them as soon as possible.
  7. Any comment written out in all capital letters will be deleted. That’s just unnecessary.
  8. We understand that many commenters may have blogs of their own. To that end, there is a field in the comments section where you can add the URL to your site. In the comments, your name then appears as a hyperlink. Please do not redundantly place a link below your comment as a “signature.”
  9. Don’t tell us that you were “first” to post in a thread. We don’t care. This is a one-strike offense. You do this; you get banned.
  10. Do not post the same comment in multiple threads. If you post something just before a game thread is closed, feel free to repeat it in the spillover thread, but do not abuse the privilege. Any repeat comments will be deleted, and if you continue to repost comments you’ll be banned.
  11. Do not post false breaking news. This is a zero tolerance item. You will be banned immediately if you are caught making up information. Breaking news should be emailed to one or all of use so we can start a thread with a new post.

Numbers 2 & 10 are worth repeating: absolutely no personal attacks are allowed, and we will not tolerate the same comment appearing over and over again in different threads, especially if it’s off topic. If you’re concerned that the Yanks will blow the division, fine, but you don’t need to tell everyone over and over and over again. On any given day we have 8-10 new posts up, so we’ll get to what’s on your mind at some point. You can always contact us via the “Submit A Tip” box on the right as well.

Thank you for your cooperation.

* * *

Here’s your open thread for the night. The Mets and Braves are playing, and my guide says the MLB Network is carrying a game at 7pm, but the teams are TBA. Talk about whatever you want while waiting for the Yanks game, just be cool. And follow the damn guidelines!

Categories : Open Thread

1. Something struck me as I was reading Chad Jennings post on the Scranton outfielders: One of the comps for Austin Jackson is Mike Cameron.

Now, look at this:
    and this:

… Eerie.

2. pete says:

i feel weird and dirty for saying this, but I think the new Twilight movie is going to have an epic soundtrack

3. Here’s your open thread for the night… Talk about whatever you want while waiting for the Yanks game, just be cool. And follow the damn guidelines!

(reluctantly puts shiv back under mattress)

4. Greg G. says:

This review of the guidelines seems like a good time to mention that you guys run a great site. Even on the days where I don’t comment much, I really enjoy your posts and the discussions that follow.

5. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

No mention of the AAA Championship on ESPN 2?

6. Pat Forde (who’s opinion counts about as much as yours or mine) mentioned how he’d fill out his AP Ballot if he had one:

1) Miami
    2) Alabama
    3) Florida

7. The Artist says:

Joe, did you see Mo’s post today on Pearlman? He systematically ripped him a new one, which I enjoyed thoroughly. I know you like a good skewering of a poorly thought out sportswriter’s article, and that one was a doozy.

8. The Artist says:

Since the topic of music came up already, what have you been listening to lately? What’s on you I-Pod, home or car stereo and what have you been listening to that you can’t get enough of?

I’ll start. I’m exiting my ‘anything from Brazil’ phase and have spent the past week listening to Joe Satriani non-stop. I forgot what an amazing guitar player he is. And the more I listen, the more lil nuggets I discover that I missed the first zillion times I’ve listened to those songs.

9. Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

This from a guy on lohud. I actually really like this idea.

I have had a wild thought and I’ve thrown it around to people throughout the season with mixed results. I think that Cano should bat in the 2 slot and Johnny should be moved to the 5 hole. Sure, Cano isn’t as fast as Johnny, but if his problem has been RISP, then batting him second shouldn’t be a huge problem. He has the average to bat behind jeter and keep him moving. He does ground into a lot of DPs, but not enough to really say that’s a huge downside.

Then, by moving Johnny down to 5th, you give him less ABs (he’s getting a bit older and you can see his stroke slowing down a bit as this season has progressed), and you take better advantage of his power. Instead of all of the solo and 2 run shots he’s hit this season, you’ll give him chances to bat with more guys on base.

Just a thought, what is everyone’s opinion?

• 27 this year says:

the thing is, I really like Matsui in the 5 hole. He is having a great season with the bat and comes through with runners on and I wouldn’t want to move him to 6th. Damon becomes a little wasted in my opinion all the way down at 6 but that is just my opinion.

• alex gonzalez says:

cano is not ready for that by any means. we can try that when he actually knows how to hit in clutch situations. i dont want him trying to bat with the lineup turning over in a close game.

• (checks Johnny and Robbie’s OBP’s)

Hmmm… nah.

Now, if Johnny’s bat slows more and Robbie improves his pitch recognition and starts walking more in the offseason, maybe, but for now, I think Robbie is probably the perfect 5-6 hitter: Not necessarily a great OBP guy, but has good pop and can turn one loose from time to time. Solid hitter, but not a top-four hitter.

• Drew says:

My opinion is that it’s September 22nd and Damon is our #2 hitter.

Now, if it wasn’t the end of the year and you asked that question, I’d say I’d rather have the OBP guy in front of Teix and Al.

• whozat says:

I’d rather have Johnny’s extra 30 points of OBP in front of Tex and ARod. And he’s still out there for 9 innings; fewer ABs isn’t really going to help. And, at this point, the difference will be negligible on that front anyway. So remove that from the argument altogether.

• The Artist says:

Cano doesn’t get on base enough to hit #2. If anything, he’s a #5 hitter when he grows up.

10. just wondering, what’s the email addy for?

11. pat says:

Anybody else read TMQ? He’s my favorite writer over at espn but he never gets any pub or recognition. I guess he needs more Karate Kid references or famous friends or something.

12. Accent Shallow says:

I really think the Yankees could have handled Joba better this year. They way they handled him made it seem that the goal was to get him 30+ starts, rather than to get him 150-175 innings.

150-175 innings could have easily been attained by skipping a start here and there, and occasionally giving him a long break between starts (with possibly a relief appearance in garbage time to keep him fresh), as opposed to the current Spring Training-style plan, which everyone seems to hate.

Additionally, who remembers when he was the team’s second best starter, even though he was struggling? Yikes.

• Drew says:

Skipping a start here and there post ASB was not ideal. They started doing that but then scrapped it and went with abbreviated starts. Every pitcher is different and every plan has it’s pros and cons. I really don;t think thee is a right or wrong way to handle a pitcher. The best way is probably to start them on regular rest throughout the year until they hit their limit. Unfortunately, this is not an option for title contenders

• Agreed.

Which is why title contenders should consider shutting down their elite young pitching prospects in April before they start rather than in September as they finish.

/beatingthedrum’d

• Accent Shallow says:

You keep posting this idea, and I don’t like it, because an injury really throws a wrench in the works as far as getting innings.

I’d rather have the prospect as the 5th starter, and skip/push them back when necessary, with possible occasional pen work.

• It’s a difference of prospect development opinion.

You don’t want them to start late, because an injury derails their shot at reaching their innings totals. (That risk is also present in your strategy, but whatevs.)

I don’t want them skipped or pushed back, because I want them on regular rest and rotation. I think irregular rest and rotation leads to poor results and increases chance of injury by screwing with their rhythms and leading to overthrowing.

No plan is perfect; all plans have flaws and risks.

• Accent Shallow says:

Yup, all pitchers are fragile creatures. Nothing we can do about that. (Except, of course, pine for the days when men were men and threw 280 innings regularly).

What I don’t like about starting someone late is the removal of room for error, although I believe it’s done occasionally. I can’t, however, think of any pitcher treated this way who was expected to contribute on the MLB level that year — those pitchers seem to get the Billingsley/Joba v.2008 treatment, at least from what I can recall.

(Of course, any GM who would rely on my anecdotal evidence should clearly be fired.)

Maybe the Yankees think Hughes is good for 180+ IP and all this is moot. I just hope he’s healthy and effective.

• The Artist says:

I don’t think anyone cam claim this experiment was a success. But the Yanks were feeling their way around in the dark. Its been years since they developed a top flight starter, and the innings limits are fairly new as well.

I hope when Hughes goes through the same process next year (and he will) that they simply give him April off, and let him pitch every 5th day afterward. They can still skip him occasionally as the #5 guy with off days, but let him pitch like everyone else. There’s something to be said for the routine of a starter, and allowing a pitcher to get into a rhythm.

13. JobaJr says:

I’m torn on whether to root for Greinke against the Sox and officially put to bed CC’s Cy chances.

14. Mike Axisa says:

Paul Byrd FTW.

Depth!

15. Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

5-0 Royals.

16. Steven says:

Since being down 8-2 in the bottom of the 5th yesterday, the royals have outscored the red sox 15-1

17. bonestock94 says:

Nice, in the very least we should see the mick tonight.

18. Tom Zig says:

Paul Byrd = Sergio Mitre

19. Drew says:

What happened to Mike’s request of the Torre pic?

I suggested this:

There is no number but we all know his number…

20. Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

It’s possible that we could get to the Boston series knowing a sweep clinches it for us.

• Tom Zig says:

my scenario is still possible too

getting to the boston series with a magic number of 4, and then winning the first 2 games.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

You’re right, I’m sorry. I’m thinking each win only reduces the magic number by one, when it’s really by two. My bad.

21. Dela G says:

i am loving this royals beatdown of paul byrd

22. Dela G says:

another great thing? The Yankees get to avoid Zack Greinke next week

woot!

23. The Artist says:

Here was another gem by Pearlman that Mo skewered

YOU SHOULD BE BORED! AND UNAMUSED!!

BECAUSE I SAID SO!!

24. cor shep says:

Have any of you guys ordered jerseys from chinese seller sites (like an ebay)? If so could you give me some information on how it worked out? Thanks in advance

25. The Artist says:

Since we discussed worst pitcher ever, give me your worst YANKEE pitcher ever.

This one’s easy for me. Felix Heredia, or Felix Horrendous as I liked to call him. I’ve never seen anything so craptasticly fabulous in all my life. When it was late in a game and you needed two walks and a hit batsman, he was your man. It went beyond mere bad pitching, into something more bizarre and flat-out funny by his 2nd year with the team. I miss him.

26. Dela G says:

Greinke is mowin em down

5Ks

27. The Artist says:

VOTE IN THE POLL: WHO SHOULD BE THE NO. 4 STARTER IN THE POSTSEASON?

* Alfredo Aceves
    68-2% of all votes
    * Nick Swisher
    495-16% of all votes
    * Josh Towers
    20-1% of all votes

Total Votes: 3001 Started: September 21, 2009

LoHud readers pick Chad Gaudin, to the surprise of no one familiar with LoHud’s game threads.

28. Tom Zig says:

how in the world do you walk varitek?

29. Charlie says:

if greinke’s ERA ends up under two, and he doesn’t win the Cy young, i am going to shit myself

30. Reggie C. says:

With Angel Villalona possibly heading to the slammer, does Cash now have the necessary leverage to pry Matt Cain from the Giants?? It’ll cost Jesus Montero , who could be seeing ML action before the end of 2010 as a 1B. The Giants have no impact hitting coming up, but they do have Madison Bumgarner to team with Lincecum.

What do you guys think… Jesus Montero’s trade value has never been higher.

• Ivan says:

I wouldn’t do that trade.

• Reggie C. says:

Can i bother you for an expansion on that statement?

• Accent Shallow says:

Yeah. I’m moving Montero for Lincecum/Hernandez/maybe Greinke.

(And since none of those trades are happening, I’ll hang on to Montero, if you please.)

Feel free to mock this comment in 2016 if Montero busts.

• No. Cain is amazing, but with CC/AJ/Joba/Hughes + an aging Posada, I’d rather have the elite young bat at catcher just on the cusp of his breakout season than another starter, no matter how good he is. We can get by with Andy as the 5th starter for a year, and then buy Halladay, Lee, Webb, or something next year (or wait for Felix after that).

His trade value will never be higher, but his value to the Yankee team may well be higher in the future.

Keep him, don’t move him just to move him.

31. Dela G says:

i hope they do not take out greinke…. i do not trust the royals bullpen

32. Drew says:

I know you guys like to actually have the number in the pic but we all know his number..

Can’t go wrong with this: