Sep

Yanks recall Miranda

Chad Jennings has the news. Triple-A Scranton’s season ended tonight, so the Yanks are going to raid their roster for at least one more player, recalling Juan Miranda. I assume he’ll meet the team in Seattle. Jennings mentions that Austin Jackson and Zach Kroenke – the two other serious callup candidates – weren’t told anything definitive, and are just going home for the time being. Neither player is on the 40-man roster, making it a little tricky to bring them up. For now though, the Yanks have an extra lefty bat off the bench, and won’t have to play Jose Molina at first base anymore.

Categories : Asides

1. Jon G says:

After that grand slam Jackson hit vs. Boston in Spring Training, they’ve gotta get him up for a few games…

2. Bill R says:

I agree I feel that if he gets a taste of the Bigs it could push him to play even harder next season!

• Makavelli says:

Depends on the player. That didn’t necessarily work for Lastings Milledge or a few others…

• Charles says:

AJax is no Lastings Milledge. AJax is a clone of Derek Jeter and I feel that once he gets a taste of the Bigs, he will do well. He hit well in Spring Traning abet it was not against front of the line pitching. Granted he strikes out a lot but he will get better. That was one of the things that the Yankees wanted him to do this year–cut down on his strike outs. Whereas his strike didn’t improve from the ratio at Double AA, his learning curve did. He saw better quality of pitching.

Remember when Gardner was called up last year, he looked complete overmatched at the plate. During his short stay in the bigs last year and in spring traning, he learned a lot and was the starting CF on opening day. AJax will rise to the top because he is a stallion.

Beside, AJax has a code of decency about him, while Milledge was so into himself with his diva attitude. Reggie Jackson has compared AJax several times to Jeter because of his overall make-up. I have seen AJax play about 10 times this year and about 25 times last year in Trenton and what I see in him is the “will to prevail.” He may be the next Yankee legend after Jeet.

3. Salty Buggah says:

I wanna see this lineup out there one day:

Gardy/Melky CF
    Hinske RF
    Miranda 1B
    Cano 2B
    Duncan DH
    Hairston 3B
    Pena SS
    Cervelli C
    Guzman LF

Josh Towers P

And I wanna see a win out of it

(I would replace Robbie but there is no one to replace him with.)

4. Jeffrey says:

They need to DFA Mitre and I wouldn’t care one bit if they DFA Duncan to make room. Then they can bring up Jackson and Kroenke. Duncan really isn’t going to help this team, its time to get someone else moving in a forward direction. Brackman is hogging another roster spot, but guess there is nothing the Yankees can do about that. Edwar could also be expendable to free up a roster spot.

This 40-man roster stuff could be getting tricky.

• Salty Buggah says:

Maybe for now, but it will be simple in the offseason.

• Bo says:

Mitre is terrible but they do need someone to pitch those innings and they arent about to promote the Kei Man.

• Makavelli says:

At this point, what’s the difference between starting Mitre or Kei Igawa? Why don’t they at least give Igawa another shot? Does he have some insurance clause in his contract if he stays down there or something? He couldn’t be THAT much worse than Mitre I wouldn’t think…then again, the Yankees probably know a lot more than we do as to why they make their decisions…just a thought though.

• He couldn’t be THAT much worse than Mitre I wouldn’t think…

Oh, yes he can.

• Makavelli says:

Actually, I’m answering my own question here. 165 hits in 145.1 minor league innings is pretty horrible. Only 40 walks though. For a second I thought they may not have been promoting him just to try and have everyone forget about him and how bad the signing was…and how bringing him up would only put the bad move on stage for all to see again. But now that I take a better look at it…he’s God awful…

• Mike Axisa says:

He’s also very homer prone, even in AAA. In the big leagues, pitching half his games in teh bandbox, he’d be getting annihilated.

I’d rather watch Mitre kill the team with grounders through the holes and up the middle than Igawa kill the team with the longball.

• Makavelli says:

Agreed. I’m still confused as to what the Yankees saw in this guy…was it actually a panic signing because of the Dice K thing? Even David Wright, a player, was confused talking about how horrible Igawa was. You would think if he knew, the scouts should have known…

• Tiebreaker:

Mitre has a goofy looking face. Igawa also has a goofy looking face, but he exacerbates the goofiness with the sunglasses.

We have a reputation to maintain as the best looking, sexiest team in the league (except for Eric Hinske a/k/a Paul Blart, Mall Cop, of course). Swapping Mitre for Igawa will decrease the potential amount of poon collected by the Yankee youngsters when they hit the clubs together after the game, because Igawa is an immediate skank-scaring mood-killer.

5. Jeffrey says:

Sterling’s call on a Juan Miranda home run: “(insert pitcher here) just got read his Miranda rights.”

6. Accent Shallow says:

Kroenke has a shiny ERA, but I’m not particularly sanguine on his chances.

7. pete says:

i’d like to see nova get a couple innings, and there’s no reason why jackson shouldn’t get a call

8. Doug says:

so jackson finishes the season with a combined .301/.359/.406 slash line. pretty good for a 22 year old in AAA.

just has to somehow figure out how to cut down on the Ks some… 131 in 529 ABs is a bit too high.

9. Trevor says:

Jackson needs to be on the 40 man anyway otherwise he go in the rule 5 draft. Now the Yankees could wait til the off-season but I would do it now to give him a taste of the big leagues.
    DFA Shelly Duncan. Why is he still with this organization? They really don’t need him.
    They have tons of outfielders/DH already.

10. Makavelli says:

I have a question on “options.” A player on the 40-man roster and not on the active 25-man roster for more than 3 seasons is “out of options.” But if said player has less than 5 years of professional service, he can still be optioned to the minors during the 4th season? How often does this happen? And how does the Rule 5 Draft play in this scenario?

• Mike Axisa says:

An option is used when a player on the 40-man is sent to the minors. One option is used per season, so it’s three “option years.”

Yes, if a player uses all three options before his 5th professional season, he’s eligible for a 4th option. Kennedy will get one, Brackman too. Doesn’t happen often, but it’ll start happening more with all the ML deals being handed out in the draft.

I don’t think the R5 plays into that much. Obviously you’d prefer to keep a player off the 40-man roster as long as you can to maintain flexibility. Once you put a young guy like Kennedy or Jackson on the 40-man, you’re pretty much stuck with them until they a) make it, b) are traded, or c) bust.

• Makavelli says:

What happened when Shelley Duncan was called up…and then before he even got off his plane…was sent back down due to the Hairston trade (I believe?)…did that count as an option?

• Mike Axisa says:

If he was down for at least 20 days (which I’m pretty sure he was), yes, it used an option. He also used one last season.

• Makavelli says:

So when and if they DFA Duncan, he is no longer on the 40-man roster even if he passes through waivers and accepts an assignment to AAA Scranton? And if he is back on the 40-man (again) does he get a fresh 3 new options? Or what if a player is outrighted to AAA or something?

Shelley was added to the 40-man in 2007 and remained in the bigs for the rest of the year.

In 2008 he was sent down to the minors out of Spring Training, thus using an option year (his first). He came up again in late April but went back down again in June (but remember, only one option is used per year, so that’s still option #1).

He was DFA’d in January but cleared waivers and accepted a minor league assignment, removing him from the 40 man (but not restarting his option clock, doesn’t work that way). He was called back up and added back to the 40-man this July, but then optioned back down the next day (Option #2).

So, by my calculation, he’s got one more option year left that could be used in 2010 (although it’ll probably be moot, since he’s a prime DFA candidate again.)

Am I right, Axisa?

• Makavelli says:

Ah this answers my question I just posted above I believe…thanks!

• Yup. Your option years are permanently attached to you. Doesn’t matter how many times you get DFA’d or change hands from one org to another.

Shelley was optioned in 2008 and optioned again in 2009. The interstitial DFA is moot in terms of the options, and similarly if/when we DFA him again this winter, whether he accepts a Scranton gig again or takes his services elsewhere, he’d still have an option left for 2010.

• Makavelli says:

So what would have been the scenario for Jason Giambi if we ever did send him down to AAA back when he was a liability for us in 03 or 04? I’m assuming since he came up with the A’s and was 24 before he came up with them…he probably wasn’t optioned very much (if at all) and still had all 3 available perhaps?

• Mike Axisa says:

No, that’s different. Once a player has a certain amount of service time (I think it’s 5 years), they can refuse to be sent to the minors, which is what Giambi did. Doesn’t matter how many options they have left.

I know Bonds retired with all three options left.