Oct

Game 160: This could have been a meaningful series

It was supposed to have been a three-horse race. The Yankees, Rays, and Red Sox were supposed to battle for the top two spots in the AL East, which was assumed to house the AL East champion and the AL Wild Card. The three teams battled through the first half, but the second half has been all Yankees, and has been all against the Rays.

A team that won 97 games last season is stuck at 82 with three games left. While they were once greatly underperforming their run differential, even that has come back down to earth. As it stands, they’re just two games behind pace. The Yankees, for what it’s worth, are outperforming their run differential by eight games, though they do have the best mark in the AL by three games.

Rookie David Price takes the mound against the Yankees for the third time this season. They worked his pitch count the first time, forcing him to toss 106 through 5.2 innings, while they scored three runs. Price’s five walks didn’t help matters. He was better the second time, allowing two runs on three hits and two walks in six innings. In his last appearance, he gave up five runs in five innings to the Rangers.

While the game is meaningless for the Yankees as a team, it does mean something for CC Sabathia, who can notch his 20th win tonight. He downplays it, saying that it would be nice but not necessary. After year after year of busted free agent pitching, I think most of us want to see him get it. Not that it makes a difference in CC’s season — he was a great pickup who was worth every penny — but it’s always nice to see a pitcher hit 20 wins these days.

For some reason, Jose Molina is DHing tonight. The early lineup had him as catcher and Jorge as DH, but then they flopped. Why not just DH Hinske if you’re not going to DH Matsui? I don’t get it. I’m glad Posada is catching CC, because that’s the way it will line up in the playoffs. Molina should catch tomorrow, and Posada should catch A.J. on Sunday.

Lineup:

1. Derek Jeter, SS
2. Jerry Hairston, LF
3. Mark Teixeira, 1B
4. Alex Rodriguez, 3B
5. Nick Swisher, RF
6. Jorge Posada, C
7. Robinson Cano, 2B
8. Melky Cabrera, CF
9. Jose Molina, C

And on the mound, number fifty-two, Carsten Charles Sabathia.

Categories : Game Threads

1. I have constantly defended Girardi, but if Molina gets a postseason start, I’ll be one pissed off optimist.

• RichYF says:

I think if Molina starts and the Yanks win, all will be forgiven. If he starts and AJ pitches awful anyway, well then let’s just hope the Yanks get another shot at doing it the right way.

It’s a gutsy move by Girardi, and I would not be upset with Molina catching if AJ spins a gem. Whether or not Molina is the “x-factor” is irrelevant to me. It’s all about results.

• Accent Shallow says:

I dunno about “gutsy”. AJ had that row of dominant starts this summer, and Posada caught a large percentage of them.

If it’s what it takes for Burnett to pitch well, I’ll accept it, but I remain skeptical.

• RichYF says:

Well, “gutsy” in the sense that people will question the move and he will be open to a lot of criticism if the Yanks lose 2-1 or something like that.

“AJ is pitching well of late, do you really think Molina has something to do with it?”
          “Posada has caught X, Y, and Z pitchers in A, B and C seasons that were all successful. You’re telling me he can’t handle AJ Burnett?”

Or they can do what you did and (correctly) quote the run of games in which AJ pitched very well. I will also add that in every post-game interview AJ credited Jorge 100%. So that counts for something, right?

Like I said, I’m indifferent. Jorge’s bat is really hard to replace, but if AJ stinks it’s going to be a long game either way. It’s all about what AJ believes regardless of how silly it is.

• Accent Shallow says:

I will amend this to say “in the ALDS, if Posada does not get banged up in the previous game.”

• Frankie says:

Jesus, CC looks like Wang out there.

2. I’ve got a fever, and the only prescription is less cowbell.

3. Mike Axisa says:

Over/under on the number of people at the game tonight is set at 20,000.

4. cr1 says:

Having Molina DH should make clear to CC and to us just how important getting that 20th game for him is to Girardi.

5. Dela G says:

molina and jorge are both catching?

wow that’s a first

;)

6. Don says:

I too am a big Girardi supporter, but I cannot understand the thought process behind a man with 50 OPS+ in his last 400 abs getting any type of postseason play.

Molina shouldve been DFAd earlier this summer.

• Molina shouldve been DFAd earlier this summer.

No he shouldn’t have.

• Rich says:

Wow. You don’t DFA one of the best defensive catchers in the league.

• Mike bk says:

agreed, but this is probably his last month with the club as frankie has shown he can do enough to hold down the backup job next year.

• Don says:

This isnt the time of year to throw bones to departing players.

I know Molina is a good dude, but he has too many holes in his game to belong on a postseason roster.

• Don says:

Yes he shouldve been. Cervelli is clearly the better player at this point. Even Posada has a better CS% than Molina.

I know his CERA is very good, but the man is a walking rally killer, and I dont mean walking literally.

• Big picture. The difference between Molina and Cerveli is slim. DFAing Molina for that marginal upgrade would hurt depth needlessly.

• Rich says:

No, you don’t DFA a guy like him – maybe you trade him, but you don’t DFA. I like Cervelli too, but I understand why the Yankees have held on to Molina.

• Don says:

Its October now, we learned depth at Catcher wasnt an issue since Chris Stewart had a decent year at AAA and couldve easily been the emergency catcher.

The difference between he and Cervelli is no longer slim. Cervelli is a better hitter, better thrower, better framer, and better runner. He can do things that win games in the postseason.

Molina no longer possesses that skill.

• Rich says:

Well, we’ll agree to disagree on this one. It would seem the Yankees didn’t want to have to rely on Stewart. I’m sure they could have had a deal for a useful player if they had any interest in trading Molina.

• Renny Baseball says:

One thing no one will argue: Posada is the weakest by far defensively of the 3 catchers on the team. Every bit as important as defense is calling a game. None of this would even be a subject of discussion if Posada at least could hold his own and do a competent job of calling a game, managing pitchers etc. He should be splitting DH time or on very limited catching duty — for pitchers like Petite that he has a comfort level with — next year.

7. Mike bk says:

why is hairston playing left field if we need him to get more infield work so he can get qualified to get a pick for him?

8. Dela G says:

cmon white sox!

1-0 sox

9. acb says:

lol michael kay is wearing a bright purple shirt.

10. Mike Axisa says:

Swish has killed it in The Trop this year.

11. Mike Axisa says:

Wait a second, David Price’s ERA is pretty close to Joba’s. How can that be?

12. Mike Axisa says:

Bossman Jr. is unimpressed by Jerry Jr.

13. JSquared says:

Pussy David Price.

14. JMK aka The Overshare says:

Anyone think that HBP on Tex has something to do with Pena?

15. Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

Dioner Navarro & Tim Beckham or Buster Posey?

16. Mikey says:

time for tex hit #40– thats yankee retaliation, not tampa punks

17. Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

CC: “I can’t beat him over there!”

18. slappy white says:

being forced to watch Rays network in NC and im about to drive to tampa and strangle the assclown announcer

19. JSquared says:

Teixeira > Tampa Bay.

20. Jose says:

Ben Zobrist has an 8.2 WAR this year. Joe Mauer has an 8.0 WAR. That is only because Mauer being a catcher doesn’t have any type of fielding score factored into his WAR. Does anyone know of any difference metric for catchers that is indicative of runs saved due to defense?

21. huuz says:

does CC’s speed on his FB seem low?

22. Jersey says:

Well, better this now than next week.

23. BigBlueAL says:

As to the whole Molina starting a playoff game, if Im Brian Cashman I order Girardi not to even contemplate starting Molina in the playoffs. Seriously.

Plus the fact that Girardi is even contemplating it is absurd. I already feared that we might be seeing Ron Gardenhire amount of bunts per game from Girardi come playoff time but having to watch Molina start a game would really drive me crazy.

24. JSquared says:

What’s Upton batting… .030… and he gets a bases clearing triple, nice. TEH LUCK!! TEH LUCK!!

25. Riddering says:

It’s okay.

Our DH is going to have a BIG night. Lots of RBIs.

26. slappy white says:

oh well no 20 wins for CC….get this out of his system and dominate in the playoffs

27. Ivan says:

Just get out of ya system CC, just get it out of your system.

28. Brazilian Yankee says:

Maybe next year CC will get to 20 wins. It’s no big deal.

29. ShuutoHeat says:

I seriously wish they due away with all the artificial turfs, I hate them.

30. Zack says:

Who’s ready for a week of CC is not a #1 and CC cant handle pressure?

31. Jersey says:

And all those runs are unearned.

32. Lanny says:

Swisher is one terrible defensive right fielder. Anyone that throws UZR out that hes good doesnt watch him everyday.

33. Joba Rules says:

Yankees are fucked.

34. slappy white says:

WTFs up with this price? screaming after a strikeout……YOURE 20 games out asshole

35. Riddering says:

Melky is a daily RAB reader.

36. JMK aka The Overshare says:

Jose Molina’s batting=dividing by zero.

37. Riddering says:

Hearing talk of Molina starting playoff games makes my ears bleed.

38. Mike Axisa says:

I can not believe they are seriously considering letting Jose Molina catch in the playoffs. That’s such an awful decision, it’s not even fucking funny.

39. BigBlueAL says:

Forget just when AJ pitches, start Molina at C every game.

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

Only if he’s on a shit ton of steroids, discovers how to hit and occasionally decides to run to first when he makes contact with the ball. Your prophecy, I like it.

40. Lanny says:

So how long before Melancon comes in to plunk Longoria or Crawford?

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

Melancon is so wild, it’s not inconceivable that he somehow manages to hit Maddon and breaks his glasses.

41. Mikey says:

jeter walks, hairston grounds out softly

42. ShuutoHeat says:

YARGH!!! STRIKE OUT ON MOLINA! WE SO UBER!!! WE THE BEST!!!

…god you guys struck out Molina for Mo’s sake… what is there to be so worked up about? It’s like howling over the fact that you pummeled a 5 yr old kid.

43. BigBlueAL says:

Shit, I get a 3 week free preview of the NHL package. For baseball and the NBA it only for a week (I always buy both regardless anyway) but 3 weeks for the NHL, they must really be desperate to get people to buy the package.

Dunno if showing more games for free is actually the answer though….

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

I’ve tried to enjoy hockey, but find it really difficult unless I’m at the game. As far as the NBA, it’s like watching a glorified streetball game half the time.

• Zack says:

Just wait til you get the replacement refs

• Ivan says:

The NBA ALOT better over the years trust me.

• BigBlueAL says:

Sorry, I LOVE the NBA. I think the NBA now is at its best since Jordan retired the 2nd time in 1998.

As much as I loved watching the Knicks of the 90′s because of how good they were and the dramatic/intense playoff games they played the NBA really got ugly in the late 90′s thru the early 2000′s. But now with them taking away all the contact on the perimeter and off the ball it is a much more flowing game and there are some really great players and really good teams in the NBA right now.

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

No need to apologize. I see a few games and it looks like a lot of Isolation plays at the top of the key and take your man one-on-one. I haven’t seen much, so I’m not saying that’s the only trend, just what I’ve seen. I also really dislike the playoff format. Half the teams in the NBA make the playoffs? That’s ridiculous.

• BigBlueAL says:

Its been the same format since 1985. There is ALOT less isolation now because teams are allowed to play Zone now, the only difference is they cant have a defender just standing in the paint blocking shots since there is a defensive 3 second violation just like on the offensive end.

The Knicks suck right now but if you want to watch a team that doesnt do many isolations and have a fun offense to watch watch the Knicks since Mike D’Antoni is their coach now. At least now they may still suck but are alot more fun to watch and hopefully come next season with the cap room they will have next off-season they will be fun to watch and successful at the same time.

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

Gotcha. I’ve never supported the playoff format. I can’t think of any reason half the teams in a league should make the postseason. I might check out a Knicks game next year, provided the tickets aren’t too expensive.

44. Wow. I was not expecting this score.

45. JMK aka The Overshare says:

CC’s command hasn’t been all that good this game. That said, I wouldn’t expect this to continue into the playoffs.

46. Mike Axisa says:

Girardi out to the mound to hand deliver the IBB call.

47. Mike Axisa says:

Tigers losing 3-0, Twins up 5-0…

48. BigBlueAL says:

Its no surprise CC is pitching like shit tonight, Posada is catching.

49. Tom Zig says:

CC just wants to get the clunker out of his system

50. Mike Axisa says:

Wouldn’t be opposed to lifting CC after this inning.

51. JMK aka The Overshare says:

You can’t be serious. He’s out.

52. Mike Axisa says:

He swung, he’s out. Nice try, Tampa.

53. Toki says:

I see CC is in October form ;)

54. Tom Zig says:

im following along on gameday, how did they score on a swinging strike 3?

55. bonestock94 says:

I’d like to see them comeback from this, not even for CC’s win I just really hate price.

56. Pasqua says:

CC’s performance should provide great fodder for the NY media, ESPN, et al. How many “Should the Yankees be worried?” editorials will come out of this one?

• Tom Zig says:

Front and back pages of both the post and daily news

Top headline on sportscenter and espn.com along with a picture

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

Tons. Let ‘em chatter, there’s nothing to worry about.

• Nels says:

Living in New England, I hear talk show hosts on a couple local stations read Sabathia’s postseason numbers a couple times a day, then compare them to Beckett’s postseason numbers, and then explain how the Sox are way more prepared for the postseason than the Yanks. They will feed on tonight’s start like you wouldn’t imagine. I really hope Sabathia will prove them wrong soon.

57. David Cone: intelligent.

58. slappy white says:

John Sterlings explaination of that strikeout to end tampas inning was priceless

59. Why would the Rays, a smart organization, trade B.J. Upton at his lowest point? That just doesn’t make sense.

• Mike Axisa says:

Well, they obviously gave up on the season when they traded Kazmir.

• Lanny says:

Well whats their record since the Kazmir trade? The trade may be good from an organization stand point. The prospects may be huge. Who knows. But to the team itself and to the fans it was waving the white flag.

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

Because he’s non-Domincan and lazy. Who would want that combination? Maybe they can get a Igawa-type arm in return.

60. Mike Axisa says:

I wonder if the people in Detroit are freaking out about how Edwin Jackson has finished the season.

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

He might have hit the wall. He hasn’t been good since what, the All-Star break? Either he’s tired, injured or his mechanics aren’t right. It doesn’t bode well for the Tigers, whatever it is.

• Mike Axisa says:

Or maybe the first half was just a fluke.

• Mike Axisa says:

There’s basically three months of his career that look nothing like the other four years.

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

Good point. His stuff has always been good. The prevailing theory was he finally put it all together. It seems that might not be true.

• Lanny says:

Jackson in a pressure spot? In a Game 2 in Yankee Stadium? Ok.

• Zack says:

“2. Tigers acquire Edwin Jackson for Matt Joyce…. But this winter they actually determined that they had too many starters, taking offers on Jackson, Jason Hammel (who was traded to Colorado) and Jeff Niemann with the intention of trading two of them. Jackson, very good in Tampa last year, became even better with a move to Comerica Park. Tampa was at least wise to trade Hammel and keep Niemann.”

Apparently Heyman only looks at first half stats when deciding the best moves of the offseason

• The Artist says:

Bingo.

Although he was once upon a time the #1 prospect in all of Baseball (weak class IIRC) so it was fair to think earlier in the year that maybe he was finally putting it all together. Change of scenery, the whole bit. But seeing him revert to his old self lately and I don’t think there’s any other conclusion to draw. Nothing’s changed.

61. Yes, Michael, it looks like he’s not trying but he is trying. He’s just good enough to make it look like he’s not trying.

62. The Artist says:

For everyone flipping out about Molina catching AJ, check out AJs splits by catcher

Every number (R-H-BA-OBP-SLG SO/BB ratio) explodes with Jorge behind the plate. It’s the right move. Nobody affects a game more than the starting pitcher, and that’s not even debatable. A player can only affect his 5 or so ABs, a starting pitcher affects 30 or so ABs by the opposition.

If you want to argue Posada vs Molina’s bat, be my guest. Posada sports a .894 OPS and Molina’s is .553 OPS. Huge right? Its 3.5 bases every 10 ABs, or 1.75 bases per game.

AJ has allowed 58 Runs in the 16 games Posada has started, or 3.63 runs per game. With Molina behind the plate, he’s allowed 24 runs in the 10 games he’s started, or 2.4 runs per game. I’ll take a full run+ less over 1.75 bases generated every day of the week.

Were not talking about a long season anymore, were talking about 1 game. That’s the difference.

• Burnett is just as likely to throw a stinker to Molina as he is to Posada. Burnett and Jorge have had some incredible games together (see: June/July).

Also, one game magnifies a weakness like an awful bat much more than a season does.

• The Artist says:

No, he’s more likely to strike out more batters and give up less runs. Can I guarantee he’ll be good? Of course not, but a manager’s job is to put the odds in his favor. He has a better chance to pitch a good game with Molina.

Plus, don’t forget that if it’s game 2, the Yanks are at home where the generally have no trouble scoring runs, and obviously get the last AB.

• Mike Axisa says:

May 27th – July 27th: 11 starts, 2.08 ERA, .623 OPS against

Posada caught 8 of those starts, and was still on the DL during the first one. Cash caught one, Cervelli two.

Three starts ago, Burnett gave up 6 runs in less than two innings to Baltimore with Molina catching, before settling down.

Looking at ~90 IP with Posada vs ~60 IP with Molina does nothing for me.

• The Artist says:

“Looking at ~90 IP with Posada vs ~60 IP with Molina does nothing for me.”

But 8 starts from May thru July prove your point? Can’t have it both ways, Mike.

• Mike Axisa says:

Based on the logic you’re using, yes.

My reasoning for starting Posada is that he’s immeasurably better than Molina.

• The Artist says:

No one’s disputing that Posada’s a better player, but if you think his impact is greater than the pitcher’s, or think the Burnett-Posada thing was just a media created narrative, then I don’t know what to tell you. Games are played by human beings, and they don’t all think the same or get along. The fact that Girardi is considering this tells me a lot, and he’s an ex-catcher.

• Mike Axisa says:

And, that also shows many, many things are possible in small sample sizes.

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

So much THIS. A small sample size also concludes that I’m a total ladies man, when only factoring in girls with a BMI above Pi. This doesn’t mean I’m actually a ladies man.

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

Posada’s had far more games with AJ, and the reason those numbers are inflated is largely because of three poor appearances. Boston earlier in the season (5 IP, 8 ER), Chicago (4.2, 7), and Boston again in August (5, 9). On the whole, he’s been pretty good. Molina hasn’t been invincible, either. Ultimately, it’s up to AJ to make the pitches. I’d rather take my chance on AJ pitching with Posada and emulating one of the 12 good starts, with Posada’s bat, than I would his good starts with Molina and a guaranteed 3-4 outs from the catcher.

• The Artist says:

In response to your ‘few bad outings’ claim, I was going to post the outings that Molina was behind the plate where Burnett blew up, to show that a few outings inflated his numbers as well.

But I ran into a problem. Almost every horrific outing AJ had this year had Posada behind the plate.

4/25-5 IP 8R vs BOS
        6/9-2.2 IP 5 R vs BOS
        8/1-4.2 IP 7 R vs CHW
        8/22-5 IP 9 R vs BOS
        9/1-5.1 IP 6 R vs BAL

There’s one 6 run outing on 9/9 with Molina, and even there AJ pitched into the 6th inning, so it wasn’t a disaster. So the downside with Posada appears to be much greater, and maybe that’s what Girardi is worried about.

63. How many times this season has Kay mentioned that Navarro made the ASG last year?

64. Jesus H. Montero, just take him out. Put Towers and Kennedy out there to give them some innings. There is no reason for Sabathia to continue in this game.

65. dkidd says:

i’d rather cc get his october clunker out of the way tonight

66. Lanny says:

Why is he still in there? Get him out and let him forget it.

67. Brazilian Yankee says:

Time to take CC out.

68. Tom Zig says:

I guess just let him get to 100, and then no matter what the situation, just take him out.

69. Lanny says:

Great way to tune it up, CC. Just the way to get ready for Game 1.

70. Frankie says:

Its one thing to have a bad start, but damn, that was horrendous. Even Jobber looked better.

71. Charlie says:

this is just one reason why i fuckin hate Girardi. Do you really have to frickin wait until he gives up 9 runs and throws 80 pitches in less than 3 innings to take him out?

• Drew says:

+1.

Dude’s a moron. Girardi has no friggin clue. Friggin hate the guy.

• The Artist says:

He wanted CC to get his work in, he’s not going out of his way to win this completely meaningless game. He saaid on the pregame that he would go around 100 pitches. Considering how badly things went, 80 pitches was about right.

72. JMK aka The Overshare says:

I haven’t seen Sabathia look this bad since…the first game of the season. And this is incalculably worse. I’m thinking (and hoping) it’s an outlier. He hadn’t given up 5 ERs since August 23rd. We can’t expect all pitchers to throw no-hitters every time out, but this was really unexpected. That said, I really think he’ll bounce back. We’ll need him to if we’re facing off with Verlander.

73. The Artist says:

CC chokes while going after win #20.

He can’t pitch in big games. We’re doomed.

74. slappy white says:

just when I let myself believe this was going to be easy now we get to worry about CC

75. The Artist says:

I would just like to say ‘Fuck Gallantry’

..and Chivas for that matter. I’m a Knob Creek guy, myself.

• Drew says:

I bet you are!

• Scooter says:

ietc

I’m also a bourbon guy – and that’s a great choice for about the same price as Makers.

Makers in a manhattan; Knob Creek on the rocks.
        Bakers or Bookers neat

Work’s been hell – I guess I didn’t miss much.

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

Yeah Maker’s neat. I’m having one right now, in fact.

• The Artist says:

I always knew I liked you for some reason. When you want a lil more flavor, Gentleman Jack is another good choice.

• Scooter says:

Any other manhattan fans here?

The biggest thing is finding a place that actually uses bitters w/ the sweet vermouth

Got a little petite syrah flowing.
              (If Andy got into wines after his career ends, he could sell Pettitte syrahs)

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

Another favorite of mine. It’s been a long week at work (half of my department was laid off, I’m fortunate because I work well and I’m not eating much payroll, but my responsibilities just tripled), so I may head out to the liquor store and grab some GJ.

I had forgotten about that delicious, mellow flavor.

• Scooter says:

Been hearing bad news from Wall St friends about layoffs and closings – esp in structured finance. My condolences to any friends of yours who lost jobs this week

• The Artist says:

The Jobs Report today was a disaster. Economists had it at around 100K down, which is an improvement since it would mean losses are slowing.

Then it comes in around 275K down, almost TRIPLE Wall street expectations. Now all the economists are rethinking their growth expectations, and are even looking at a double dip recession. Which means things could bottom out once again, like they did last year.

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

Yeah, I’m not in finance, but you’re right, it’s tough in that industry right now. A few friends of mine in finance were bragging about their bonuses, salaries, etc. earlier in the year. Now? Some of them are unemployed or barely hanging on, and one is crashing in my spare bedroom. I’ve got law school coming up in a few months (which is also no longer a guaranteed stable job), so I’m hoping that gives me some more marketability.

Thanks for your words, though.

• Scooter says:

Artist – looks like Roubini (aka Dr Doom) might have been right – a recovery more like a W than a U

I keep fingers crossed that some magic happens and the Doha round advances – but I fear protectionism could raise its ugly head some more

• The Artist says:

Roubini’s been getting a lot of play lately, since he called the Real Estate bubble. His track record is one of constant negativity, so he was going to be right sooner or later. I still wouldn’t give him a nickel of my money to invest.

He’s no genius, just an economist and they all get more things wrong than they do right. They don’t call it ‘The Dismal Science’ for nothing.

• Accent Shallow says:

Currently drinking margaritas

/less of a man for having mixed drinks

76. Mike Axisa says:

Bossman’s going cycling tonight. Needs just a single.

77. Bob Stone says:

The game is totally meaningless. I’m just disappointed for CC personally. He pitched well enough this season to have earned 20 wins.

• Pasqua says:

It’s a nice, round number that looks good on the stat sheet, but there is so much more to appreciate when it comes to pitching than the “Win.” A great year for CC, 19 or 20 wins.

78. NYQ says:

I have only two questions: who are these people and what have they done with the Yankees?

79. Drew says:

WHy is Jorgie even still out there? I’d say it’s time to throw the H lineup in the game.

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

Agreed. Time for SWB Yankees.

• ShuutoHeat says:

Your choice, Tigers or Twins?

• Renny Baseball says:

“Dude’s a moron. Girardi has no friggin clue. Friggin hate the guy.”

Agreed on Girardi. DHing Molina while entrusting CC’s 20th win bid to Posada?

Incidentally, for all the criticism, Jobber has never pitched as badly as CC did tonight.

I can go for Makers neat, splash of water, myself.

PS Looks like Twins are alive for another day – ChiSox have just beaten Tigers and Twins are up big (8-0, 4th).

• Drew says:

I’m a few saki bombs deep but I thought my sarcasm was apparent.

I love Joe G, I was just expounding Charlie’s craziness when I said: “Dude’s a moron. Girardi has no friggin clue. Friggin hate the guy.”

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

Your sarcasm is apparent is one is a regular commenter or a lurker. Not so much if this is a LoHud refugee.

80. ShuutoHeat says:

Funny thing is, the Rays are playing this game like their families’ lives are on the line.

Wake me up when the post season arrives.

81. bonestock94 says:

Damn, I’m sick on a Friday night, just wanted to watch a decent game and lie down.

82. The Artist says:

Should be down to 1 game back with 2 to play.

Anyone think the Twins can do it?

83. Mike Axisa says:

Wow, the Padres fired Towers. I’m shocked.

He’ll find a job real quick, but wow.

84. Accent Shallow says:

So I go out to dinner, and what the fuck?

CC, you’re not helping me out by shitting the bed on your last start pre-ALDS.

I realize this thread has to be empty (blowout on a Friday night), but what the hell? Guys?

• bonestock94 says:

It’s the least important game he’s pitched for the Yankees, no biggie.

• Accent Shallow says:

Well, yeah, but you’d like at least a solid 5-6 stress free innings out of a tune-up start.

Better a clunker now than next week, I suppose.

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

Better a clunker now than next week, I suppose.

Exactly. Don’t worry too much. These things will happen. It’s a weird combination of CC being really off (which is very rare), and the Rays being very, very hot with the bat. You’re not likely to see this again this season.

85. Zack says:

Did BBTN really just say Jason Kubel has been good against LHP this year when talking about the Twins ability to hit LHP and RHP?

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

It’s BBTN. If they told me Carl Everett is a religious prophet and a progressive thinker, I would not be surprised. The fact that some take BBTN’s blurbs as gospel is amazing.

86. Mike Axisa says:

Congrats to Bossman.

87. Accent Shallow says:

I still don’t think David Price will have as good a career as Joba.

(I’m going to look back on this statement and either feel prescient or dopey)

88. Bob Stone says:

B. J. Upton’s cycle was 8th in MLB tieing a record set in 1933.

89. Bob Stone says:

This place is dead tonight. Is anyone still here?

90. Bob Stone says:

BBTN had a funny exchange tonight:

Showalter: Upton has hit the cycle and it’s only the fifth inning. What do you call it if he hits two cycles?
    Kurkjian: A Bi Cycle

91. Accent Shallow says:

Andy: Joba, maybe we should start you in game 1. You haven’t had a game quite this bad.
    Joba: Word.

92. Accent Shallow says:

Not sure how much I believe in Ben Zobrist’s ludicrous season, especially given the facial hair. Yikes.

• Mike Axisa says:

He actually did a lot of work last offseason and basically overhauled his swing, so there’s tangible evidence for the improvement.

That said, .841 OPS since June 17th vs 1.123 before. The former is probably more indicative of his real future production level.

• Bob Stone says:

He’s never had more than 198 at bats in a season or batted better than .253. This season may be the prototypical outlying anomaly, but he’s had a great year and has hit in so many clutch situations.

93. Dela G says:

wow just got back from dinner

good to see CC got the shitty start out the way now instead of LDS

94. Accent Shallow says:

Gabe Kapler: unable to hit either Phil Coke or Nick Swisher.

95. Jersey says:

Wainwright just lost his chance at 20 wins. STL bullpen blew it.

96. Bob Stone says:

The Royals are battling back. Twins 10, Royals 5 in the 6th.

97. Accent Shallow says:

Dale Thayer: apparently not killed in the sinking of the Titanic

98. Dela G says:

JUAN MIRANDA!!

WOOOHOOO FUCK YEAH!

99. JMK aka The Overshare says:

We’re only down by 9! Hooray! Good for Miranda.

100. Mike Axisa says:

First jack for Miranda. I’m certain he’s seen Thayer in Triple-A.

101. Accent Shallow says:

Who would have thought Ramiro freakin’ Pena would get his first career bomb before Miranda?

102. bonestock94 says:

Rockies on the board

103. The Artist says:

Miranda could probably play in the bigs, just not on a good team. A bad AL team that could DH him occasionally sounds about right.

104. The Artist says:

Cone just made a key point I forgot to make earlier. Were really talking about 2, maybe 3 ABs with Molina. You pinch hit Posada for him late in the game and he still gets an AB or two.

105. Dela G says:

good god BJ upton is on fire today

106. Mike Axisa says:

‘Stache needs to go, Phil. It’s hideous.

107. JMK aka The Overshare says:

Where did that miss?

108. Mike Axisa says:

Ummmm … where’d that one miss?

109. Dela G says:

where did that miss???

110. JMK aka The Overshare says:

See guys. This is just a weird game all around. Do we think that Hughes is going to implode in the playoffs because of this poor outing?

111. Accent Shallow says:

Again, better to give up rockets to scrubs like Reid Brignac now than next week.

/yes, I know he’s a top prospect. Don’t care

112. JMK aka The Overshare says:

This ump must enjoy being in a crappy game in one of the ugliest ball parks in the continent. What’s with the strike zone?

113. Dela G says:

what a tight ass strike zone

dude, the score is 13-3, let anything close be a strike and get it over with you doof

114. Mike Axisa says:

Apparently Alex Gonzalez was hurt badly in the Sox game. Could be a ginormous loss for them.

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

It was a huge loss for RAB. Then again, that was a different era.

• Tom Zig says:

jokes aside, hasn’t be been hitting like .300 since coming over? And has provided solid defense

• Accent Shallow says:

Is he the one who booted the possible DP ball for the Cubs, or the one who hit the bomb off Weaver that year?

• Dela G says:

“ginormous?” I dunno about that. The guy can’t hit (although somehow he is hitting .289 since he came back to boston), and all he does is field.

Its an important loss i guess, but they might be able to survive without him like they did before they traded for him…

115. Tom Zig says:

anyone here watch “Surviving Disaster” on Spike?

116. Alex K. says:

FOR ANYONE WORRYING ABOUT CC, PLEASE READ:

Zack Greinke (he of the 2.06 ERA), against Toronto, June, 5 2009:
    5.0 IP 9 H 7 R 5 ER 2 BB 3 K
    … and he SHOULD win the Cy Young.

Felix Hernandez against Toronto, July, 27, 2009:
    5.2 IP 11 H 7 R 7 ER 2 BB 2K
    … and he is in the running for the Cy Young.

Roy Halladay against Tampa, August 24, 2009:
    6.0 IP 12 H 8 R 7 ER 1 BB 8 K
    … and he is in the running for Cy Young.

Tim Linecum against Los Angeles, September 20, 2009:
    4.0 IP 4 H 5 R 5 ER 1 BB 3 K
    … and he should win the NL Cy Young.

Adam Wainwright against Philadelphia, May 5, 2009:
    6.0 IP 9 H 7 R 7 ER 2 BB 5 K
    … and he is in the running for the Cy Young.

117. The Artist says:

Hahahhaha!!!

Coney going through Posada and Molina’s splits with AJ!

MY MAN!!!!!!!

118. Dela G says:

GRIT GUTNER CARES ABOUT THE RUN DIFF!!

13-4!!

GET SOME PIE!…. or not

119. Dela G says:

if that’s anyone other than molina or posada, the runner is safe

120. Tom Zig says:

Did anyone for the Yanks get injured today?