Oct

Linkage: Jeter, Swisher, Kennedy, Walk-offs

Just a little more than four hours until real life baseball. I don’t know about you, but I can’t wait. Here’s some random links to hold you over…

Categories : Links

1. I linked to that youtube on twitter last night after my brother found it. Then I downloaded an FF extension so I could d/l that video because there’s massive YES copyright violation there and the video will be gone in a couple days.

• yankeegirl49 says:

How do I do that???

• Salty Buggah says:

pfft, Real Player downloads flash videos easily. This sign pops up in the corner of the video and it takes like 30 secs to download and convert the video.

• Kiersten says:

Anybody who wants to download the video should use vixy.net. It’s free and you don’t need to download any programs.

• Kiko Jones says:

I could really do without the Broadway musical-like tune by Queen…

• Sir, I take your sabermetric insults with a grain of ignorance. But I will not stand for your insulting “Don’t Stop Me Now.” Your (shitty) musical taste has been noted.

• Nady Nation says:

I couldn’t agree more. I thought the musical selections for that youtube montage were nothing short of fantastic.

• Kiko Jones says:

Huh? When the hell have I opined on Sabermetrics?

Before you assail my preference in music you should check out my writing on the subject and make a more educated statement. Also, while musical taste may be arguably unquantifiable, ANYONE who enjoys a particularly lame song like “Don’t Stop Me Now”—which sounds like an outtake from Grease or some similar nonsense—should not be dismissing other folks’ taste in music.

I simply said I could do without it; in response you chose to fire your guns at me. A word of advice: pick an easier target next time.
          A musician/music writer-critic/avowed music geek should not be your first choice.

• Read through some of your blog, but couldn’t get a grasp of your tastes. The good news is that you hate Kiss. And hipster indy shit. So at least we can agree on some things.

Also, from what I could gather, it would seem that you have to like Queen in some capacity.

And as a musician myself, I’ll assail anyone’s music tastes if I don’t agree with it. It turns a lot of people off, but my convictions about music are stronger than my convictions about baseball.

• Kiko Jones says:

My motto is “if it’s good, it’s good”, regardless of genre and/or level of hipness. Which is why I’ve been known to enjoy tunes by both NaS and Nick Drake; Pavement and Phish; Radiohead and Rush; Steely Dan and Soundgarden; Tribe Called Quest and Todd Rundgren…you get the picture. (Oh, and the hipsters may love TV On The Radio but that’s not enough reason for me to dislike the band.)
              Yes, I dig the (very) occasional Queen tune. But I stand by my initial assessment of “Don’t Stop Me Now” and its dreadful Broadway show tune vibe, which would’ve made it a plausible choice for a Sweeney Sisters show. (Btw, fwiw, Brian May himself hates the song.) At its best, the tune is no “Fat Bottomed Girls”, or even “Play the Game”.
              Assail away…but I find it’s better to disagree than attack.

2. Rey22 says:

This week has been eternal without some baseball. Can’t freakin wait.

3. A postscript to Jay’s Abreu v. Swisher breakdown:

Not only did we end up with the better overall player at the cheaper price, but we got him for his age 28-29-30 seasons (i.e. his prime, so his production can easily continue to rise) locked in at an AAV of 7M (a steal, considering his production) with a club option for his age 31 season at 10M (still a bargain).

They got Abreu for his age 35 season, and now (thanks to the paucity of palatable internal options, they’re going to give him either a two or three year deal (probably in the 7M AAV range minimum) and pay the same amount of money we’re paying (or more) for Abreu’s age 36-37 seasons (where decline will continue to set in.)

Contrary to the false narrative Tim McCarver is sure to spin ad nauseam over the next week, no, Yankee fans do not regret letting Bobby go. At all.

Swish >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bob

4. Greg F. says:

Thanks for the link. I don’t think the release point was a stadium thing, because the fastball release point stayed the same, and that is obviously the pitch he threw the most. To me, it looks like he is now releasing his other pitches at the same spot as his fastball.

Also, sorry if anyone has trouble accessing the post, the blog is going through a transition to a different system right now.

5. Sean Serritella says:

This is the most exciting time of the year for us. The Yankees winning the world series will make the off season not that boring.

6. Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

while Melky Mesa’s 168 strikeouts were 8th most. He’s a hitter, so that’s bad.

He’s SOMETIMES a hitter.