Oct

Yanks could bolster coaching, scouting with Peterson and Towers

What better way to take your mind off the rain than with some proposed additions to the Yankees coaching and scouting staff?

After Kevin Towers lost his job earlier this month, Mike wondered whether he’d be a good addition for the Yankees. With his scouting acumen, it certainly couldn’t hurt. Earlier this week, Buster Olney noted that the Yankees might be a good fit for Towers:

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman has long been friends with Kevin Towers, who was recently released from his duties as GM of the Padres, and given that relationship, there would appear to be excellent odds that Towers will land with the Yankees as a special assistant sometime in the months ahead. Towers could serve as an evaluator for Cashman, taking on responsibilities like looking for pitching — which is considered to be Towers’ specialty — or scouting minor leaguers, or helping to prepare the Yankees as they consider options before the trade deadline.

After the Padres fired him, Towers said that he’s not looking for an office gig.

“I know I don’t want to be in an office if I’m not a general manager. And I’m not looking for a job where I feel the GM might be in jeopardy, that’s not me.

“I want to be with a team where I know and trust the people I’m working with and feel I can make a contribution. I’d be happy to scout and to be the eyes and ears for a GM if that’s what is needed. I just want to be in a position where I can help a team compete,” added Towers.

That would seem to make him an ideal candidate for the Yankees. With the team running deep into the postseason, it appears Brian Cashman’s job is not in jeopardy. Towers would be free to scout, evaluate, and contribute. That’s the way he wants it, and it appears that opportunity could exist with the Yankees.

In what seems like a throwaway line in his latest column, Jon Heyman connects Rick Peterson to the Yankees. “Peterson, a New Jersey resident, also might have a chance to become a pitching coordinator for the Yankees.” This would be stupendous, especially if he’d be working with the minor league pitchers.

It might seem like this would be stepping on Nardi Contreras’s toes, but that doesn’t have to be the case. Peterson, an expert in biomechanics, could evaluate in a different way than Contreras. Plus, you can never have enough information on pitchers. For more on Peterson, check out his video breaking down the Yankees pitching, and his Pitching Perspectives archive at Full Count Pitch.

The Yankees might not add major free agents this off-season, but they’d do well to look into Peterson and Towers to boost their behind the scenes staffs. Sometimes those moves can be just as important as the player personnel ones.

Categories : Front Office

1. Tom Zig says:

arousal level is at 12

2. The Yankees might not add major free agents this off-season

Wrong. Peterson and Towers would be major free agents.

3. Mike Pop says:

This is always good news.

4. Stryker says:

i always hoped the yankees would add some quality baseball guys to the front office/coaching staff. whether they’re pitching gurus like peterson or sabermetrics fanatics or solid talent evaluators. i hope at least one of these guys joins the ranks.

5. Adding either guy would be an excellent move for the Yankees. Hopefully Towers’ comments about wanting to be in a situation where there’s a strong GM whom he would work under as a talent evaluator will assuage the fears of some commenters, that came up the last time we discussed this topic, that bringing in someone like Towers would create a ‘too many cooks in the kitchen’ situation.

6. JMK aka The Overshare says:

Is there any Gentleman’s Agreement with the AARP they might be breaching by signing them?

7. jsbrendog says:

this doesn’t mean we’re gonna sign victor zambrano again does it?

8. Victor Zambrano says:

Please no Rick Peterson.

9. So it’s a Yankees-Padres front-office trade, eh? We give them Billy Eppler, they give us Kevin Towers?

10. Accent Shallow says:

I’d have zero objections to Towers, but I’m not so keen on Peterson. I feel like adding him would be a “too many cooks in the kitchen” type scenario.

• ROBTEN says:

The financial resources that the Yankees have shouldn’t just go towards players, but to bringing the best talent to every level of the organization, including trainers, scouts, and coaches.

Nobody thought there were “too many cooks in the kitchen” when the Yankees had Pena, Mazzilli, and Bowa working under Torre.

If Peterson’s “bio-mechanical” approach enables the Yankees to strengthen their development of young pitching, then they should do it. There is no reason that Peterson and Contreras couldn’t work together.

There are always ways of coordinating work so that people: a) don’t feel that their job is threatened; b) that there is a clear decision making process.

It only becomes a problem if you mislead people as to what their roles will be or pit them against one another.

• Accent Shallow says:

I’m not so much worried about that, as about how Peterson’s philosophy will mesh with what’s already in place, and thus affect the pitchers in the organization.

Getting people to work together is administration. Blending different philosophies without adulterating either one is something else.

• All praise be to Mo says:

How about a package deal…Peterson brings along Rich Harden and fixes his issues so he can make more than 10 starts in a year for us? Harden would be a great insurance plan for Wang and Hughes/Joba not succeeding as starters next year.

11. Tafka (sic) says:

This would be fantastic. Yanks seem to lag big time in biomechanial analysis

12. Lanny says:

I dont think hiring two advisors would preclude the actual team from signing free agents to get better.

13. All praise be to Mo says:

Any thoughts on recently let go hitting coach Rudy Jaramillo? I know Kevin Long has done a great job at the minors but why not as a roving hitting instructor a la Nardi Contreras for our minor league teams? I’ve heard nothing but great things about this guy and if he’s the real deal why stop at former gm’s and pitching coaches?

14. Opus says:

My parents are friends with Peterson’s in-laws. They’re HUGE Red Sox fans. I don’t hold out much hope for him on the Yankees.

15. [...] in relation to the Yankees. Mike originally urged the Yanks to court Towers, and Joe reported on rumors suggesting that Towers would join the Yanks. Towers, as Mike said in early October, is “an exceptional evaluator of talent on the [...]