Nov

A thread open like no other

You guys still chowin’ down on leftovers? I finished off my last plate’s worth at lunch, so sadly the Thanksgiving experience is all over for me. For shame. Just another 363 days until my favorite holiday comes around again.

Anyway, it’s a slow night around these parts, but go ahead and use this as your open thread. The only local team in action are the Rangers, who are taking on Sidney Crosby in Pittsburgh. Go ahead and talk about whatever you want, just be cool.

Categories : Open Thread

• Evil Empire says:

This makes sense. If I were the Marlins, I’d figure you might as well go for it in 2010 with JJ leading the charge. If it looks you don’t got a shot, you can flip him for just as much at the trade deadline, or wait until next winter if you’re still in contention.

1. Devils dismantled the Islanders. Life is good.

2. So Tim Tebow: Great football player or Greatest football player?

/Colbert’d

3. The Artist says:

“Now entering the gates of Heaven . . . Derek . . Jeter.. . Jeter.”

4. Brent says:

“…Amongst other things, Bowden pushes the Yankees to beat Boston to the punch and deal Joba Chamberlain, Brett Gardner, and Ian Kennedy to the Blue Jays for Roy Halladay…”

Would you do that trade?

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

No Joba.

If I’m Toronto, I don’t even make that trade.

• Evil Empire says:

Yes. As long as the contract extension window is in there and we get Doc for the next 4 or 5 years.

• Mike Axisa says:

The window shouldn’t change much, though. You can just as easily trade for him, then negotiate an extension on your time afterwards.

• Evil Empire says:

I heard you mention the window doesn’t mean much on the radio show. Isn’t there something to be said about the assurance of getting him for the next X amount of years?

Maybe my understanding of how it works is wrong, but I thought that if you cannot come up with a new contract within that time frame, then the deal is annulled. So that means that if you cannot convince Doc to sign at the proposed rate (let’s say remainder of his current contract + 4/$72), you can choose to say screw it, I’d rather keep my pieces then.

• Mike Axisa says:

The Blue Jays are not giving you the contract, you are negotiating it on your own. Assuming Halladay gets say 4/88, that’s full market price, it’s no bargain. You’re giving up a boatload of prospects for him AND paying him as if he was a free agent.

Just imagine if he had five years and $104M left on his contract, and you agreed to assume that entire obligation in a trade. You’d want to pay less in players since you’re taking such a big contract off their hands. This is no different.

If Toronto negotiated the extension on team friendly terms, it would be different.

• Evil Empire says:

Well on the contract I proposed, it would amount to a 5/88, which averages to $17.6M annual. Its not cheap, but its not much more than AJ’s deal either. I fully realize it would be the Yankees negotiating this deal, not Toronto.

The benefit of the contract window for Doc is that he has a chance to get $72M more guaranteed right now and get the hell out of Toronto.

If he says he needs more money than that, maybe the Yankees are better off passing, and the window gives them the opportunity to make that evaluation.

That’s what I’m thinking, set me straight Mike.

• The Artist says:

You’re paying him market rate, so there’s no residual value that would affect the deal and need to compensate the Jays for. He’s not underpaid in that scenario, that’s why it doesn’t affect the trade for either side.

• Evil Empire says:

The proposed trade is Joba, IPK, and Gardner. The Jays wouldn’t be getting any extra compensation, they’d be granting the contract extension window in order to get those players.

I get the gist that isn’t a big deal but does it literally have no benefit? I would think its better to have it than not have it.

• The Artist says:

Yeah, and what’s the rush? Why not let him pitch for 2010, and then sign him to an extension in the off season. Its not like the Yanks don’t have the ability to pay market rate, and Roy has said he’s looking to settle in somewhere.

Pitchers do get hurt. I don’t want to extend him, just in case. Some people were saying we should extend Wang for the past few seasons, but I haven’t heard much from them lately.

• That trade lets you hold onto Hughes and Montero and Jackson. While I may be completely misvaluing our system, I’d do the trade.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

First of all, I don’t even think Toronto makes that trade.

But assuming they do, I really don’t like giving up Joba or Hughes. I’d rather keep both and give us a decent shot of having at least 1 pan out, or both pan out.

• The Artist says:

My first reaction is that if Jim Bowden suggests it, it must be a bad idea. But I must admit that’s not awful.

The Jays GM said yesterday his #1 need is Catcher, then OF. Barajas is leaving so he needs to be MLB ready (forget Romine). I guess a pitcher would have to be included as well, so a deal that suits the positions they need would be one of these combinations

Joba/Hughes, Cervelli, Melky/Gardner

or

Montero, IPK/Nova/Z-Mac, Melky/Gardner

I wouldn’t give up 2 high upside guys, so any package would only include one of the Montero/Hughes/Joba group.

So to answer your question, yes. I’d do one of the above deals. But I still think The Jays will take a Phillies offer over a Yanks/Sox offer if its anywhere close.

• john Adams says:

Id do the trade , your giving up 3 players not named hughes , montero , and jackson

5. Crazy Eyes Killa says:

So what are the plans if Damon takes a multi yr offering from a different team? Personally I really hpoe that the team won’t give Johnny 2 yrs, Johnny for 2 is worse than Holliday for 5 IMO….I wish things were about to get interesting, but they’re probably not for awhile. I wonder if Boras is trying to get Damon to a team like SFO so we get in on Holliday.

6. Bonos says:

All this Halladay trade talk boggles my mind. You want to replace a 500 thou contract with a 20 mil one. This team won 103 games, now we’re going for 120. Obviously the Yankees can do it. Does it make fiscal sense? No. You want four quality pitchers for the playoffs. At this point the Yankees have that. If they go for Halladay where is the flexibility? In three years you have a bunch of old guys playing. A trade for Granderson makes sense, Halladay not so much.

7. Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

You know that SI seriously made A-Rod one of their turkeys of the year, along with Plaxico Burress, the NY Mets, Steve Phillips, and Eric Mangini?

WTF? Seriously? Any residual respect I had for SI just died.

8. JM says:

Whoever is against trading for Halladay and/or Granderson, say “I”

9. The Artist says:

Typically good, funny, smart piece from the other Joe P.

The LVP’s of 2009.

10. The Artist says:

Good piece on draft pick compensation.

You offer it to Johnny Damon? Boras rarely accepts arb. He not only goes FA but often takes his clients deep into January. If you think there’s a 2 year deal out there for Johnny, you offer. If not . . would it be so bad to have Johnny come back on a 1 year deal? The Yanks are insisting on not givin g him a long term deal, and are on record saying they would like 1 year possibly with an option. 2 years would be tops they would offer. Why not?

I offer it.

11. The Artist says:

Hanley Ramirez to Boston?

7. David Samson

The Florida Marlins president obviously has no shame. After finally succeeding in securing a new taxpayer-funded stadium for the Marlins in downtown Miami – supposedly enabling the Marlins to have the financial means to keep their star players – Samson demonstrated he has no intention of doing that when he refused to give his best pitcher, Josh Johnson, a four-year extension. Now it also looks as if Hanley Ramirez won’t ever see that new stadium in a Marlins uniform as the Red Sox, who let incumbent Alex Gonzalez go, are reportedly engaged in talks with Florida about reacquiring the All-Star shortstop.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/spo.....z0YDC6wXN7

and WTF is it with Madden supposedly having all these Red Sox contacts? First the Halladay-to-the-Sox stuff, now this. I smell a big, fat rat.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

Don’t buy it. Hanley ain’t moving. If he is, that would be a huge coup for the Sox. But he’s not.

12. Steve H says:

What does anyone think about bringing in Troy Glaus as a DH? He’s had success in the AL, would be a powerful (and pretty patient) RHB, and I would guess he’d come cheap. I wouldn’t want to give him longer than 1 or 2 years, but if the price was right, what do you think?

Also, how the hell did he not finish in the top 20 in the MVP vote in 2000? Led the league in HR’s, 150 OPS+, 1.008 OPS (7th in league), even had 14 steals (though 11 CS). Probably the 102 RBI that brought him down, what a joke.

13. Bonos says:

To me trading of Joba, Hughes is simply impatience. Pitchers don’t come into their own till age 25 or so. Joba had a good first half then looked to be running out of gas. Fitness? Hughes was great and the experience should help him immensely. The need is the OF. The OF of Damon, Melky and Swish is below average defensively. Melky is of little value as a corner OF, (no power), and barely average in CF. Maybe he’s a late bloomer.

14. Anthony Murillo says:

If the Yankees can acquire Roy Halladay without giving up Jesus Montero, I’d do the deal.

I wouldn’t particularly approve if the Yankees included Austin Jackson…but if they did, I could live with it. You are obtaining one of the best pitchers currently in the MLB. You have a potential rotation of:

Roy Halladay
    C.C. Sabathia
    AJ Burnett
    Andy Pettitte (assuming he returns)
    ? (could be Joba Chamberlain, Phil Hughes, Chien-Ming Wang, Alfredo Aceves)

That’s a scary, scary, scary rotation. You have two aces, potentially three if Burnett has a season similar to 2008 or even potentially FOUR if Chien-Ming Wang returns to his form before the 08-09 season (that’s a big, big leap but crazier things have happend).

I think the Yankees as an organization have realized pitching will always win you championships. A rotation like the one I listed above is a near lock for this team to repeat as Champions, if all goes well.

15. Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

I can’t believe that everyone forgot what today is….after Melmas, which incidentally is exactly 1 month away, this is the most important day of the year. TODAY IS JESUS’ BIRTHDAY!!!!!

Feliz Cumpleaños (or Cumpleaños Feliz) Jesus Montero. We all look forward to seeing you dominate in your 20′s.

16. Bonos says:

Okay with Halladay you have a 200 mil payroll and you haven’t addressed LF and DH.

17. Bonos says:

Holliday is perfect for the Yankees other than length of contract. Hallady just adds 20 mil to the payroll before the DH need.

18. jay says:

I’d just bring back the same team, and roll the dice.