Nov

Open Thread: A night with Joba

No, not like that you pervs. This is actually for a good cause.

Camp Acorn is a summer/winter social and recreational program for children and young adults with multiple disabilities. They offer a therapeutic and instructional program that develops fine motor, gross motor and transitional skills, all while building confidence and self esteem skills. All activities are adapted to the individual needs of each camper. You can find out more about the program at it’s website.

Next Monday, Camp Acorn is hosting a kickoff dinner to begin the camp’s capital fundraising effort and raise awareness about the camp’s programs and the population it serves. Those who attend will get a chance to meet Joba Chamberlain, as well as other athletes. Here’s the details:

• Date: November 16, 2009
  • Time: 6:30 – 9:30 PM
  • Location: The Venetian, 546 River Dr., Garfield, NJ 07026
  • Ticket Price: $175/ticket, $1,400/table (table of ten)
  • Attire: Business Casual

Yeah, it’s a little pricey, but it’s for a great cause. If you’re interested, head on over to the website to register for a spot. Seats are limited.

* * *

Here’s your open thread for the evening. We’ve actually got a pretty decent MNF game, as the Steelers are in Denver to take on one-loss Broncos. The Knicks are in action too, and there’s also a new episode of House. Talk about whatever you want, just be cool to each other.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Phranchise says:

anyone want a lockerz invite? it seems pretty legit and i get points for inviting people

2. dkidd says:

randy winn? could he be useful as a stop gap?

3. JobaWockeeZ says:

Heh Varitek had his team option declined. Think he’ll use his player option?

4. Steven says:

yay college basketball is back

5. Teix is the Man says:

Anybody like Breaking Benjamin? Dear Agony is a sick album.

6. The Artist says:

Not to be a kiss ass, but I’m amazed at how you guys put up three really interesting pieces on a day when there’s almost nothing in terms of baseball news. As someone who does a tiny bit of part time blogging myself, I know that’s not an easy thing to do. Great work (as always) guys. Best Yankee blog around.

7. ColoYank says:

+ infinity

Ha! Beat y’all.

8. The Artist says:

About Ben’s Joba piece, I didn’t think his drop off in Aug-Sept was as much about the career high in innings as it was the way they jerked him around and gave him nothing resembling a regular schedule. First long rest, skip a start here and there, then regular work on limited innings. The whole episode was flailing about and ill-conceived.

I’ll give them credit for one thing, however. They always gave him less work than he could handle, which is why I don’t think they were as concerned about any set number on an innings jump year over year. But they hurt the team with his ineffectiveness, and the team always has to come first. So they blew it.

I hope that next year with the Hughes-rules, they simply hold him back a month without game action in spring training. Let him report with pitchers and catchers, but don;t get into any games until mid-March. Then he can finish stretching out his arm in AAA in April, and join the team as a full-fledged member of the rotation on May 1st. Then he can start every 5 days and his innings won’t be an issue. With off days, they can skip him, here and there and limit his innings even further. But by doing it that way, we can avoid repeating the mess we made with Joba late this year.

• Accent Shallow says:

I really hate this idea, but I’m going to hold back on discussing it since I’m still basking in the glow of the championship.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

Unlike Accent above me I like your idea with Hughes.

• Chris says:

The problem with this theory is that it doesn’t agree with the facts. The Yankees started adjusting his schedule and pitching him shorter outings for his August 25th start. In his three outings before that start he had an ERA of 6.75.

• As for the idea of limiting his (Joba’s or Hughes’) innings early in the season – they tried that last year with Joba and it backfired and he ended up not reaching his innings limit.

They didn’t try nearly hard enough. For all the talk of “we’re gonna skip his turn in the rotation since he’s the fifth starter”, Joba’s turn was pretty much never skipped until August.

That’s the whole point: The plan wasn’t nearly deliberate enough. It was a “let’s play this by ear” plan to keep his innings down. Plans like that tend not to work.

I’d rather be more aggressive with Hughes for 2010. Skipping all of April seems a good way to be aggressive.

• Chris says:

By last year I mean 2008. They tried to limit his innings in 2008 by starting him in the bullpen and then moving him to the rotation. That would have been a great plan, except he got injured and failed to reach his innings limit. I would much rather have the flexibility to skip him later in the season than being forced to accept a lower innings total because he got injured.

As for the Joba plan in 2009, I have no issues with them wanting to remain flexible. The Yankees were in a pennant race and modified the plan to meet both the short term needs of the team as well as Joba’s developmental needs. It sounds nice to say that a young pitcher’s future/health is the number one priority, but that’s just false. Winning a championship is the number one priority, and sometimes you have to sacrifice some of the certainty going forward for a better chance to win now.

• The Artist says:

Sorry, but both Ben and I referred to both the shorter stints AND the longer rest between starts. The longer rest started in mid-August, which is what you’re citing.

You’ve also cherry picked one bad outing in Texas to pump up his ERA. The 3 starts before that, he gave up 4 ER each, and going into August 16th his ERA was a respectable 3.98.

• Chris says:

I didn’t include the Texas start, because that was after a longer rest (8 days). The three starts before that (BOS, TOR, @SEA) he had a 6.75 ERA. Of course his ERA was still good after those 3 starts – he pitched 16 innings in those 3 starts, compared to 110 innings before that.

Also, if the long rest were the issue, then why didn’t it affect him coming out of the All-Star break?

• Renny Baseball says:

+65

9. Riddering says:

How great is the story of the Yankees 1978 opening day? Reggie! Bar promotion day, Jackson hits a homerun, and the field gets littered with the candy.

I never get tired of stories about baseball fans going crazy.

10. Salty Buggah says:

Ah, WTF. Just saw my schedule. I guess I have a stupid dinner with the Chancellor of DU tomorrow night. This sucks considering I have 7 papers to write by next Saturday (except one of them is due by this Saturday) and have finals next weekend.

11. The Artist says:

On the Matsui piece, does anyone have an idea if the Elias rankings take fielding into account? As a full-time DH, that might explain his being unranked and leads me to a larger point.

While we can all nitpick about defensive metrics and which ones we prefer, nobody denies that fielding adds value of some kind. Having a roster spot taken by someone with zero value as a fielder and a good bat replaced by someone with a lesser bat but above-average fielding skills plus the ability to run the bases could very well be a net+ for the Yanks next year.

• Drew says:

Either way. DH is a fulltime position in the AL.

• I am all in favor of the concept of jettisoning Matsui the DH and replacing him with some sort of non-DH bat who can play DH sometimes and play the field other times.

I’m in favor of that concept… in the abstract. I am struggling to find an actual player I’m willing to actually replace Matsui with, though. Even though HazMat’s limited by his inability to do anything but DH, I think all the other options are either a prohibitively large contract outlay or are a big step down in overall production (even when discounting Matsui’s production since he’s only half a player.)

• The Artist says:

I don’t have any names either, but we keep hearing the non-tender list is going to explode this year, and some of the names may surprise people. Guys who teams may like, but they won’t risk going to arbitration with. I’ll bet there’s someone out there who can fit the bill.

• Chris says:

I’d vote for Cameron to replace Matsui (and resign Damon). On most days, they can play Cameron in LF and have Damon DH. On days they want to give the aging regulars a half day off, they can bench Gardbrera move Cameron to CF and Damon to LF.

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

We can get Pujols and Dunn to fill the spot.

/mryankee’d

• Accent Shallow says:

I think I’d actually prefer a DH who can’t field, so the team isn’t tempted to run him out there. Better to have a Matsui-type at DH than an Adam Dunn-type.

That said, not willing to pursue this argument, still basking in the glow of #27.

12. Salty Buggah says:

Haha, anyone remember this:

Good times. It’s funny how stupid some writers are.

13. Drew says:

Why did Wonderboy trade for Hermida? He’s pretty bad on defense and his offense isn’t exactly a high point. Any ideas?

14. Salty Buggah says:

Can’t wait to watch the Broncos season opener tonight

15. I was really hoping both teams would wear their super-bland brown and yellow/black and yellow throwbacks today.

We could have called it the Monotony Bowl.

16. http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/.....-deal.html

Thoughts? I hate this trade for the Jays and love it for the Mets, but think the Mets using this deal to facilitate swapping Castillo for Orlando Hudson (and giving up a first rounder to get Hudson) is not a smart move on the whole.

• Salty Buggah says:

Milton Bradley + Vernon Wells in the same OF = A lot of booing

• The Artist says:

Like the Overbay part, but I’ve never understood the Mets fascination with Orlando Hudson.

Middling 2B at best, I’d say just keep Castillo, but I know Mets fans hate his guts.

• Agreed.

Castillo + a first round pick >>>>> Overbay and Hudson

If I’m Minaya, I’d rather just sign a real first baseman (that doesn’t cost me a first rounder), like Delgado, Nick Johnson, or Jim Thome; keep Castillo and call it a day.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

Johnson is WAY too injury prone.

Any chance the Mets could sign Adam Dunn? He only comes to mind because he’s on the worst team in the league, and the worst team in the league generally trades players a lot.

• The Artist says:

Nick Johnson’s always hurt. He’d only make sense to them if they had a Jesus Montero-type who plays 1B on his way up, which of course they don’t. Then you could break in the kid while Nicks on the DL for a month, and ditch Nick in 2011.

I like Delgado, you should be able to get him for 1 year at a decent rate. But he had the same hip injury that Alex, Utley and Lowell had. I’d need to know more about Delgado. Is he the Alex/Utley type who will bust his butt to come back, or the Lowell type who will just do the basic rehab and not be the same again. Delgado (37) is older than Lowell (35) Utley (30) or Alex (34), so that’s a factor as well.

• vin says:

Not really sure why Toronto would deal Overbay, except to perhaps save money. But I highly doubt the Cubs would chip in that much dough to make that the case.

There aren’t many situations in which I can see Bradley succeeding. However, one that comes to mind might be the Yanks. If Matsui opts to retire from MLB, then the Yanks COULD use him as a mostly full-time DH (120± games).

They get a legit bat for DH.
      They can rest him similarly to how they rested Matsui.
      Guys like Damon/Alex/Posada can get 1/2 a day off, so as to keep Milton fresh.
      Guys like Jeter, Posada and Mo can keep him in line (kind of like when Rodman was on the Bulls).

Its crazy, but it might work.

• Milton Bradley on the Yankees is the textbook case of Bad Idea Jeans.

He’s a myth. He’s a #6 hitter who wants to be treated like (and paid like) a #3 hitter. Stay far, far, far, far away.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

Bad idea jeans?

• Drew says:

He is tempting to me. I’ve thought about it many times. Maybe I’m naive but it’s tough for me to believe that in a locker room with CC, Jorge, Derek, Al Teix and co, that Bradley would actually cause trouble. Again, maybe I’m naive but I just don’t see him being an issue.

• steve (different one) says:

Bradley is a world class a-hole.

i can’t imagine why anyone would want to add that kindof risk to a team that is firing on all cylinders.

• Whether or not he causes trouble is not the main point.

The main point is, he’s just not that good. That 161 OPS+ he put up in Texas looks like a massive statistical outlier. Dude’s on the market because he just put up a .257/.378/.397, and unlike Nick Swisher, Bradley is old, injury prone, not a plus defender, and likely to regress further instead of bounce back and improve.

Oh, and he’s making 20M the next two years.

Stay far, far, far, far away. Dude is not a good ballplayer. He was just inflated by the Texas launching pad. Six teams have given up on him because he’s not a quality, productive baseball player.

• Reggie C. says:

I think Swish and Bradley both share that off-brand quirkiness. Those 2 guys would hit it off. Swisher has shown himself to be a welcoming personality. he openly embraced Arod’s company after Arod’s admission.

Bradley wouldn’t be a bad option on this team, but the trade has got to make sense.

• The Artist says:

“Bradley Being Discussed In Three-Way”

Ouch, somebody’s ass is going to be sore. And it won’t be Milton’s.

• Mike bk says:

they dont give up a 1st for hudson since they were obviously in the lowest 15. they give up a 2nd and they draft lousy anyway.

• JMK aka The Overshare says:

“And with their first pick of the 2010 MLB Draft, the New York Mets select…they’ve elected not to draft a player. Team representatives have said they didn’t really feel like it.”

17. The Artist says:

On Ben’s Ari Fleischer piece, he notes that the Yanks tend to win with a Democrat in office. Democrats also tend to get elected when the economy sags going back to FDR. As we’ve seen with this recession, Yankee receipts tend to hold up well while other franchises do poorly. That widens the gap between the haves and have-nots in baseball, and the Yanks take advantage of the opportunity.

If anyone looked at payrolls this year, the gap between the Yanks and everyone else was wider than ever. A few years back, the Red Sox, Angels and Mets were all around 140-150. This year, they all fell back to around 130-ish or below, while the Yanks went from 210 to 205. So the 50 mil gap became a 70 mil gap.

18. Salty Buggah says:

Steelers getting the Royal treatment

19. Riddering says:

“With the incentives, Varitek would earn an additional $400,000 for starting 80 games in 2010 and another bonus for every 10 starts thereafter.”

Oh please start Varitek for 80+ games, please, Boston!

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

80 games=240 outs for Boston [hyperbole].

• Salty Buggah says:

That’s not that off. He’s had a .313 OBP in both of the last 2 years. In 80 games, he’d get about 320 ABs. 240 outs is a .250 OBP. If he has a .313 OBP again, he would make about 220 outs.

So, yea that’s not really a hyperbole considering he will decline more.

20. Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

“Oh, let’s all cheer up because A-Rod’s come full circle now. He’s got his ring, he’s complete, blah, blah, blah, whatever. Listen, they’re used to it, and they have to accept the fact that no one outside New York is even remotely happy today. OK, the Yankees won. Move on. When does spring training start? When do we sign free agents?”

Curt Schilling on WEEI talking about A-Rod’s 6 year quest to bring the WS to NY.

Curt Schilling: Provng once again that Boston players are the classiest in the world [see: Pedro Martinez].

• steve (different one) says:

you have to love the irony of Curt Schilling, who IS NOT ON THE RED SOX AND HASN’T BEEN FOR 2 YEARS, going on Boston radio and telling people to “move one”.

the guy who wrote a blog post a few weeks ago commemorating the 5 year anniversary of the bloody sock game…

the guy who once ate an entire flash-fried buffalo in one sitting.

ok, i made up the last one. it was over several sittings.

21. Nady Nation says:

Anyone partial to particular WS champ memorablia? I went for the locker room t, parade t, and a Matsui t with the WS Champs patch on the sleeve. I spent about $200 on the Giants Super Bowl, I’m figuring slightly less on this WS title. Maybe $150 after clothing, pictures, etc. Man, winning championships can get pricey.

22. Salty Buggah says:

Sweet. This type of short passing I like, not those dumb little bubble screens every freaking time.

23. Salty Buggah says:

Damn you Orton

24. Dick LeBeau belongs in the NFL Hall of Fame. Dude is one of the best coaches in the history of football, even if he wasn’t a head coach of note.

25. Just an informal poll, would you rather do a “low risk-high reward” type signing with a pitcher or a hitter?

26. Reggie C. says:

Anybody care to give me predictions on how the Giants are gonna finish the season? I think the Giants can win 4 of the next 7; those games against Atlanta, Dallas, Washington, and Carolina.

The D-Line will be ready to go after the bye. Canty is back. Boley is back. Pierce is getting his week off to rest. Can the secondary pick it up?? Offensively, Ahmad Bradshaw really needs the week off to get healthier. Eli needs to realize that Hakeem Nicks is the best playmaker on the team and throw more balls his way. This is it…

Giants make playoffs??

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

I said yesterday I was unoptimistic, and meant it. However I think 10 wins means playoffs, which is not IMPOSSIBLE.

They’d need to beat Atlanta, Dallas, Philly, Carolina,and Washington IMO.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

…While beating all those teams is not IMPOSSIBLE, it does not look good.

• Reggie C. says:

I agree. Unless Minny decides not to risk Favre’s health those last couple weeks , there’s a shot that a backup will take many reps that game against the G-Men. We could definitely win that game … especially if it meant playoffs or Jet-ting to a beach.

Gotta get that 10th win. Beating Dallas just seems more doable than Philly.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

I really hope they get to 10. But truthfully I predict 8-8. We lose to Dallas and Philly (which would suck since they’re division rivals).

• Nady Nation says:

I’m calling 5-2. 10-6 overall record – playoff berth.

/blind faith’d

• Nady Nation says:

Also, that Minnesota game could mean absolutely nothing for the Vikes. They could have a bye all wrapped up. By no means is that an unwinnable game for the G-Men.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

I don’t think any of the games are unwinnable, but I think the ones I mentioned above are their best shot.

• Gut reactions:

11 – Atlanta – WIN
      12 – @ Denver – LOSS
      13 – Dallas – WIN
      14 – Philadelphia – LOSS
      15 – @ Washington – WIN
      16 – Carolina – WIN
      17 – @ Minnesota – WIN

I don’t think you win on the road in Denver. My hunch is you split the two back-to-back divisional home games in one way or another. Probably comes down to a 9-6 record going into Week 17 against the Vikings, and I think you win because they probably have nothing to play for.

10-6, playoffs.

• Now, the Jets:

10 – Jacksonville – WIN
      11 – @ New England – WIN
      12 – Carolina – LOSS
      13 – @ Buffalo – WIN
      14 – @ Tampa Bay – WIN
      15 – Atlanta – LOSS
      16 – @ Indianapolis – LOSS
      17 – Cincinnati – LOSS

8-8, no playoffs. I think we have the Pats number and can sweep them, but facing DeAngelo Williams, Michael Turner, and Cedric Benson with no Kris Jenkins in the middle seems dicey. The only saving grace is, all three of those games are at home; maybe that gives us a small advantage and we win one or two of them.

The difference for the Jets between 8-8 and 10-6 is pretty small. This season is up in the air at this point.

• Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

You think they lose to Cincy?

I do not think the Jets are particularly good, yet even I think they’ll beat Cincinnatti in the Mangini Bowl.

• Steve H says:

You really think the Jets will beat the Pats in NE? Highly unlikely. Brady and Moss are back on track, Jenkins and Washington are out, and Sanchez is up and down. I just don’t see it.

• I may be overly optimistic on the NE game. It’s probably countermanded by me being overly pessimistic on the Carolina, Atlanta, and Cincinnati games.

Also, I gave us a loss against Indy, even though (just like the Giants at the Vikings) that game may end up being a gimme win just because the Colts have nothing to play for.

I wouldn’t be surprised by any finish for the Jets between 7-9 and 11-5.

• Steve H says:

Granted I’m a Pats fan, but I can definitely see the Jets beating Carolina and Atlanta, at home, before that Pats on the road. The Pats, not exactly a superbly physical team manhandled the Falcons on both offense and defense. A little tougher without Jenkins, but I can see them just being more physical than the Falcons and winning that game. And as far as the Panthers go, I think with the pressure the Jets can bring you know Delhomme will throw a few picks, if the Jets don’t turn it over themselves I’d say that’s another win.

• pollo says:

Ironically the loss of KJ may help the Jets– it forces more 4-3 alignments, and our front of Douglas-Pouha-DeVito-Ellis is actually strong enough to dominate the LOS. The over reliance on Jenkins was palpable during the Bills game. But watching the Oakland and Miami game, the Jets looked like they could actually contend.

Also, don’t underestimate Pouha’s and DeVito’s progression this year. They’ve been getting good push up front at the NT position.

Also Turner and Hunter are great backup Olinemen.

Yea it surprises me too, the Jets actually have serviceable depth on their lines.

I still agree we finish 8-8, but that’s mostly due to Sanchez’s inconsistencies and bad play in the meadowlands in December.

27. Salty Buggah says:

Looks like a catch to me

28. Salty Buggah says:

Jon Heyman : Mets people seem concerned enough about lackey’s past arm issues to keep them away. Yankees are definitely interested.

What? If the Mets are not interested, that says something. Yanks should not be either. I think he’s just bullshiting this

29. Salty Buggah says:

YEAA!!! Defensive TD FTW!

30. GG says:

Please bring Matsui back.

That’s all I got.

31. Think Marlon Byrd would take a bench role? He’s not a black hole with the bat and he’s a good fielder.

32. pete says:

King Felix has 810 Ks and 58 wins entering his age 24 season…if he pitches until he’s 40, what kind of numbers could he put up, counting-stat-wise?

33. Salty Buggah says:

If he plays for the Yanks soon, he will make the HOF for sure.

34. Salty Buggah says:

Denver D imploding. Cmon stop em guys

35. Salty Buggah says:

HAHAHAHA! I just called that pick. I had just said it too. I also called a pick before but instead they got recovered a fumble.

36. Salty Buggah says:

Man, Orton’s inability to spread the field is hurting tonight.

37. Salty Buggah says:

Would be nice if the Broncos score a TD soon

38. Everyone seems to have moved on to next year, but Yankee fans should be SAVORING their 27th Championship. Check out this graphic of the 2009 season – shows the hot and cold periods, including when everyone was panicking in late April!