Dec

Open Thread: Another stat

If you head to FanGraphs and click on an individual player page, you might notice a new stat under the Advanced section, where wOBA once resided. Fret not: wOBA is still there, just a column to the left. Occupying the far right slot is wRC+, which FanGraphs proprietor David Appelman explains here. It’s essentially a weighted Runs Created stat, but scaled to the league like OPS+.

The idea actually came from Tom Tango, who criticized the composition of OPS+. The idea behind OPS+ is to weigh on base and slugging averages on a scale where 100 is the league average. The stat takes into consideration park effects, which is nice, but it ignores stolen bases and, more importantly, it doesn’t give OBP enough credence. It weighs OPB to SLG 1.2 to 1. Tango, among others, notes that it should be more like 1.7 or 1.8 to 1.

So, in sum, the differences between wRC+ and OPS+:

1) wRC+ puts a more realistic weight on OBP
2) wRC+ includes stolen bases

Some will bemoan the introduction of a new stat. I never understood why. The point of new stats is to more accurately portray a player’s contribution. Sometimes you can find that in old stats. But, especially for more dynamic players, a stat like wRC+ can be a huge help. In this specific case, it credits players who steal bases and get on base, whereas OPS+ favors power hitters. In other words, I think it’s a bit more balanced take.

You can discuss this, or any other topic you choose in tonight’s open thread. But I really am interested in the reaction to another stat.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Luke says:

There were some comments either here or somewhere else today about how Matt Holliday and Carl Crawford compare. Using OPS+ and their triple slash lines, it seemed as if Holliday was the far superior player. Wonder who this new stat would effect the comparison?

2. Evil Empire says:

I was wondering what that stat was. Thanks for the cliff notes explanation, that’s good enough for me.

I’m not smart enough to fully absorb the precise meaning of complex stats like wRC+ or wOBA, but not stupid enough to dismiss them. I just read up on WAR a few weeks ago and finally “got it”.

3. From the FanGraphs link:

You can think of this stat as a wOBA based version of OPS+. It’s park and league adjusted and it’s on a very similar scale as OPS+. The difference is that it uses wRC, which is based on wOBA.

For those of you not familiar with the scale, 100 is average. Anything higher is above average and anything below 100 is below average.

I approve. You know what’s necessary now?

A defensive metric that’s also scaled to a 100 average baseline like OPS to supplant the plus-minus system of UZR. So that we can have two simple numbers to rapidly express how much above or below average a player is both offensively and defensively.

wRP: weighted Runs Prevented. Add together a player’s wRC and wRP and you’ve got a player’s total production worth, tied to a 200 baseline.

• Evil Empire says:

I like.

Someone get Dave Cameron on the line, NOW!

• Joe B. says:

I couldn’t decide whether to sarcastically reply regarding how much sense that makes, or how that new stat might be the one to break baseball permanently. I am instead explaining my thought processes in an unnecessarily wordy reply.

In summary, +1.

• It’s harder than it seems. The speed and trajectory of the batted ball can heavily influence whether it’s reachable or not, yet Range-based models don’t take this into account.

For instance, if Kei Igawa pitched every day for the Yanks, the team UZR would plummet. Not because they aren’t any good, but because every ball is scorched so hard they don’t have much of a chance to field it.

Conversely, if Roy Halladay (who induces lots of weak contact) pitched every day, we’d have the highest UZR in history.

Hate to say it, but you have to watch the games. Numbers are great to cross-check what your eyes are telling you, and great for eliminating bias. But there is still an important role for scouting and film work in Baseball.

• UZR starts off by looking at the probability that a ball in play will make an out, based on the type of batted ball it is(ground ball, fly ball, line drive, etc.), the zone that ball was hit to, and how hard it was hit. UZR then adjusts for everything under the sun, including:
        1. Park Factors
        2. Batter Handedness
        3. The pitcher’s groundball-to-flyball ratio
        4. Base/Out Situation
        This way, UZR is able to capture almost everything that could impact a fielder’s chances of catching a ball—his positioning, how well hit the ball is, how much ground the fielder has to cover, etc. UZR is generally considered to be the gold standard of fielder ratings, and most sabermetrically-advanced teams, like the A’s or Red Sox, use similar systems to internally judge fielders.

The things you want it to do? It already does those things. UZR even includes double plays and outfielder arms now.

• Sorry, but you’d need about another 6 sub-categories on those batted balls to really have meaning, and even that may not be enough. Ground ball, fly ball and line drive are too broad as categories.

I’m not dismissing it, its a start but it just isn’t a finished product yet.

• Ground ball, fly ball and line drive are too broad as categories.

Did you read what I just wrote? It’s not just those three broad categories. Speed, trajectory, positioning, pitcher/batter factors, park factors, all that shit is in there. All those other subcategories you claim to want are already in there.

• A.D. says:

Exactly they account for the fact that a liner in the gap isn’t going to be catchable, and thus not fielding it isn’t going to hurt a player’s UZR

4. nathan says:

I just checked in at the really good metsblog.com and the fans are freaking out.. though i lke the Mets being down.. some of the fans are so desperate that they are proposing trades that are beyond desperate

Buehrle for Maine, Niese and others

Agonzales for FCore(Fernando Martinez), Pelfrey, C- prospect (arent they all C-)

they want to sign Wang and Sheets as their no 2 and 3.

they want to trade Castillo and sign Hudson to a cheaper deal.

they want to know how can Reyes be part of Halladay deal.. that question shud be asked by BlueJays fans..

The Yanks can use a spare OF, bench guy and one reclamation SP + one Bullpen arm… but check out the needs of the Mets .. their fans are really screwed…

C,1B, rotation spots 3-5, 2+ bullpen arms, LF. And if all that works out… a competent GM… quite a wishlist

• Brian Cashman is Watching says:

I’ll be honest, I don’t understand the hatred towards Mets fans. I know Met fans grew out of hatred toward the Yankees after the Dodgers and Giants left, but why do Yankee fans care? I don’t particular care about the Mets, but if they are in the World Series, wouldn’t you want the World Series trophy to remain in New York?

• JobaWockeeZ says:

I find some to be annoying since they always complain about the Yanks and such.

• You find some? I can’t seem to find them anywhere.

(True story) I see nothing but Yankee hats and Yankee gear on the streets of Manhattan. A few weeks back, just after the WS victory, I saw a guy wearing a Mets cap. I was looking to strike up a conversation, see how Mets fans are feeling these days. So I said to him “You’re a Mets fan?” and he said “No, it’s not my hat.”

• JobaWockeeZ says:

There’s a lot here in Bergen County, NJ.

• JMK The Overshare says:

Hah. I do that all the time. Occasionally, I stay at a friend’s around Red Hook and there are a good amount of Mets fans. They are beyond depressed. Half respond, “I don’t even care what they do at this point. I hope the Wilpons sell. Until then, whatever.”

Sad.

• Mike Pop says:

Poughkeepsie here!

• Mets Fans wear the fact that their team doesn’t do things the Yankee way like a badge of honor.

-Many are anti-statistical analysis, Omar describes himself as being ‘not a stat guy’.

-They disregard the draft process, insist on paying slot when better talent is available, and then wonder why they never have the chips to make deals.

-They actually had a guy employed who thought taking off your shirt and challenging a room full minor league players was the way to get them to perform. Not scouting, not coaching, threatening them.
              -Their GM, the spokesperson of their franchise, is horrendous with the English language. His press conferences make you wince every time he speaks.

Results speak for themselves, they’re a horribly run franchise from the top down.

• nathan says:

unless they are facing the RedSox in the world series… i cant root for the Mets… i dont hate them… i actually feel sorry for them.. but not enuf to root for them in a WS… and i think partly its WFAN and its obnoxious hosts…

• HC says:

I hate the Mets more than anything- always have, always will. My first game was a Mitts game in 1985 and I spotted a fugazzi right away. Now Mets fans just whine and whine while their team is consistently the highest payer (or occasionally 2nd) in the NL, which is all that matters to them. The Dodgers were a bunch of losers who abandoned NYC and The Mutts are even bigger losers for trying to a team that still exists (in LA). I won’t be happy until they no longer exist or become NY’s version of the LA Clippers.

• I hear Metsblog exposed the “They asked for Jose Reyes” damage control bullshit for what it was. They cross checked and the Jays said his name never came up.

Also, people close to the Mets kept pushing the idea that “Halladay wants a 120 mil extension” and as we all saw today, he signed for half that amount.

They never learn. If you don’t want someone, just say so. But when you keep getting caught in these lies, you get a neurotic, irrational fan base.

• nathan says:

they didnt expose nothing… Omar was quoted saying that.. so if anything Mike Francesa and Craig Carton (dumbass) were the liars…

• OK, then either Evan Roberts wasn’t very clear or I misunderstood him. In any case, it’s still pretty clear the Mets had no intention of pursuing Halladay, for whatever reason. Maybe they were told he didn’t want to come here. But again, just say so.

• nathan says:

apparently there was a festive meeting today.. Omar acknowledged they spoke with Jays.. but Jays never asked for Reyes (metsblog.com has the quote and the link)

i think the current injured Reyes who is not earning peanuts anymore is not what wud make sense for Jays.. he is injured and costly.. he is with the right team

5. TheZack says:

How much does it weight SB?

6. Drew says:

I’m surprised we haven’t heard much regarding Chap-man. All we got out of the workout today were a radar reading ad the teams that were there.

7. Lucas A. says:

That’s a really great metric. A leaderboard for it would be nice.

8. JMK The Overshare says:

Go back to your “garden apartments,” nerds!

9. Mike Pop says:

Last time I checked, the game was played on the field with bats and balls.

/hater’d

10. JMK The Overshare says:

What’s that other newfangled saber-nerd metric? “Wins” and “Losses,” right? I think that’s some silly shit right there. I see the game with my own two eyes! Hah!

/Semi-theoretical Joe Morgan

11. JobaWockeeZ says:

Man I should really move from my mother’s basement instead of looking up these stats that serve no purpose when eyes and faulty memory can do the same.

12. Salty Buggah says:

Still no stat to measure grit and intangibles so all other stats ate pretty much useless.

• Mike Pop says:

What’s the latest?

• Salty Buggah says:

I stopped caring but while waiting in line at the store, I saw all the magazines had his pic on the cover and apparently, he’s suicidal.

• Salty Buggah says:

It’s getting to the point where Im feeling sorry for him. 16 straight days on the cover of NYPost.

• Alan says:

I feel bad for Tiger, leave the poor guy alone. Mass Media has been all about knocking sports stars/celebrities down a peg or two when given the opportunity. Nobody is asking him to be a saint, he’s just a phenomenal athlete. Where’s the press coverage when John Q. cheats on his wife?

• If I was Tiger’s adviser, here’s what I’d tell him to do:

Call a press conference. Admit everything. I cheated on my wife constantly, I was a jerk and an asshole, I’ve ruined my marriage and pushed my kids away from me through my selfish and stupid actions, and my life is in shambles. I’m a broken man. I’ve broken my vow to Elin, and I can never get her trust back. All I can do is be the best father to our children and hope she can forgive me one day, even though I don’t deserve it.

This is the most embarrassing moment of my life.

I’m going to do the only thing I can do, the only thing that has ever worked for me: I’m rededicating my life to golf. I’m eliminating all other distractions. No more going out, no more women, no more endorsements. I thank all my corporate partners who have stayed with me and I need to earn back their trust as well, so I won’t be doing any commercials or endorsements indefinitely as well until I’ve reestablished my life.

I won’t be back until The Masters in April. I’ll show up to every event, play my hardest, not answer questions, and humble myself. That, and my kids, will be my entire life.

You may now ask any questions of me I haven’t yet answered. After this conference, I won’t ever address any of this again. Nothing but golf.

Go.

• Salty Buggah says:

A-Rod-esque with a bit of the famous Tebow “speech”

• JMK THE OVERSHARE's Milton Bradley Fat Park Factor says:

Or…exploit the situation by opening up Crazy Whores stripper bars EVERYWHERE and nailing all cocktail waitresses while giving your apology to the media.

• Tiger: “Okay, here’s the truth: I love pussy. It’s awesome. I’m gonna keep fucking everything that moves. Me and Chipper Jones did a shitload of ex and gangbanged like ten skanky Hooters waitresses just last weekend. I told Elin I was out shopping for a marriage counselor. It was awesome. I have more diseases than Ron Mexico, and I don’t use condoms. Is Rick Reilly here in the crowd today? No? Well, when you see him, tell him I boned his daughter. In the ass.

She cried, at first.

You people can either like it or hate it, I don’t really care. I’m still gonna win the Masters by 10 strokes next April. Tell Jesper Parnevik to shut the fuck up and go buy a hat that fits properly.

Man, it feels great to get all this shit off my chest.

In summation, suck it, bitches. I’m out. If anyone needs me, hit me on the Escalade phone, I’ll be with Barry Bonds, driving around the UC Santa Barbara campus looking for tight young 19 year old poon. Barry’s just like me, he likes ‘em young, fresh and green.

Tiger OUT!!!”

… aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand, SCENE!

• Salty Buggah says:

Also, he dumps Elin and gets K-Hud to bring his reputation back A-Rod style.

(Seriously though, if Kate can fix Tiger’s image, she literally will be considered a God after supposedly “fixing” A-Rod’s)

• thurdonpaul says:

excellent post, i agree 100%

• Or……get a divorce and come close to death from exhaustion after being involved in a 23-girl orgy that lasts 8 days and nights.

13. Salty Buggah says:

I can’t believe some Sox fans are pissed about signing Cammy

14. Andrew S. says:

Sometimes I wonder if the excessive and complex stats in baseball turns average fans away…

football is yards. catches. TDs. done.

i mean there’s QB rating and YAC and yards per carry… but it’s still very basic.

basketball is pts. FG%. reb. steals. assists.

i think its makes baseball so much BETTER because it’s so complex, but i wonder if your average joe feels differently?

15. Salty Buggah says:

I am going to laugh when Theo puts Cameron in center and Tacoby in LF and Red Sox Nation will blow up.

“ZOMG HE PUT A 50 YEAR OLD GUY IN CENTER and A YOUNG GOLD GLOVE CALIBER GUY IN LF!!!!”

16. CB says:

Too often sabermetrics puts the cart before the horse. There’s a very systematic way that new measures should be designed – it’s really not a matter of “statistics.”

On a really basic level – what is the concept wRC+ is supposed to represent? For example, why is wRC not park adjusted but wRC+ is park adjusted?

Fangraphs explanation was completely inadequate.

“You can think of this stat as a wOBA based version of OPS+.”

What?

wOBA is not park or league adjusted. wRC+ is. How then is wRC the “wOBA version of OPS+?” If you simply normalized wBOA that wouldn’t that be the wOBA version of OPS+?

Reading the Fangraphs explanation, it seems that they put this statistic out there because it was easy to implement. Computers and databases are amazing that way.

• For example, why is wRC not park adjusted but wRC+ is park adjusted?

Because the little + sign is sabermetric naming convention for “adjusted”.

Because it’s park and league adjusted AND calibrated to the OPS+ type scale of a 100-baseline.

If you simply normalized wOBA wouldn’t that be the wOBA version of OPS+?

Yes. It’s called wRC+.

I don’t know what you’re complaining about here.

• CB says:

Because the little + sign is sabermetric naming convention for “adjusted”.

There are a myriad of ways to “adjust.” In general the “+” is used in sabermetrics to denote “normalization” not “adjustment” i.e. controlling variables inside of the model.

If they’ve simply normalized the statistic then they should explain that. But again, they don’t simply state what the concept being represented is – they refer to another statistic derived from linear weights.

And if you look at the reference to The Book it’s not simply a normalization. It’s a reconstruction of a new derived stat.

Here’s Tango’s explanation:

I am not in favor of wOBA+. I am in favor of wRC+.

Remember that you can get from wOBA to wRC very easily. So, to get to a “+” stat, you really should go with the stat that makes the most sense. And in that regard, it’s wRC. The scale is appropriate for wRC, not wOBA.

This is extremely confusing. Why does he not favor wOBA+? No explanation.

The foundation for valid metrics is a clear, strong conceptual foundations.

Not true. Look at how the stat is derived. Fangraphs is explaining by analogy but that’s not how the math is actually done.

Unfortunately, they don’t do rigorous work in scale development.

Yes. It’s called wRC+.

No it’s not. See Tango’s explanation above.

Also, here was an interesting comment in that thread that was never addressed:

I’m also wondering if to just make things less confusing we could call wRC+, wOBA+. As in your calculation above is the “correct and official way to calculate wOBA+” The real difference in wOBA and wRAA/wRC is that the latter includes a player weighted IBB and of course the scale right?

Constructing valid metrics is not synonymous to arranging new formulas.

17. Steve H says:

Anyone else seen the new layout on foxsports.com? It’s turrible.

18. Hey ZZ says:

So in 20 years we will hear Joe Buck tell us there is some new stat that is in vogue right now called wRC+?

19. Joe Beningo is crying into a beer right now.

20. Quick question. I want to compare an either/or scenario. One with the Yanks signing Ben Sheets (only) and the other with them signing only Johnny Damon. There are roster implications for both, and I want to see if one is better on paper.

-The Sheets one has Joba or Hughes in the bullpen and Melky in LF.
    -The Damon one has Joba+Hughes in the rotation and Johnny in LF.

I’d like to total up their WAR, but I’m quickly running into problems. Hughes hasn’t started much and Joba has relieved on and off since 07. How can I figure their WAR in either role (Starter/Reliever)?

21. JMK THE OVERSHARE's Milton Bradley Fat Park Factor says:

Ok guys, you’re Brian Fellows Cashman right now. You have $20 million you can spend, not including your IFA budget, which currently has about $3.5 million still left for this year.

The parameters:

*Note: These are just 30-second projections. I don’t know how accurate they are, but I figured they were close to ballpark given the information out there.

*Chapman will sign for $23 million over 5 years. You can backload it if you want, but that’s a 40-man spot.

*Damon will take a two-year and over. Nothing under $12 million p/y.

*Sheets will take a one-year, but not under $9.5 million, and of course, it’s heavily incentive-ized (I made it up).

*Holliday will not be had for under 5/$100 million.

*Bay will not be had for under 5/$75.

*None of the remaining DH options will cost you over $5.5 million.

*DeJesus can be had for Gardner, Adams, Jairo Heredia

*Escobar will take a minor league deal for less than $1 mil. Noah Lowry and other rehab projects can also be had for under $1 mil.

*Nick Johnson take a two-year deal but not for under $8.5 million per season.

*Wang takes a guaranteed major league deal. $4 million

*Dusch can be had for 2/$4 million per.

How would you construct the roster if these were the market conditions?

• Steve H says:

Sheets/Delgado/Escobar, and fit Aroldis in.

• I’ll take Delgado and Escobar, but $9.5MM is a lot for Sheets, pre-incentive.

• Steve H says:

It’s a lot, but for only 1 year. I think it’s well worth the risk. If healthy, he’s a $15-20 million pitcher.

(Curt Schilling was paid $8 million to not throw a pitch in 2008, and the small market Sox survived)

• JMK THE OVERSHARE's Milton Bradley Fat Park Factor says:

Yeah, I like it. You’d be right there in payroll.

Hmmm…I did Delgado (5.5), DeJesus (4.7), Dusch (4), Escobar (1), Chapman (4), Cyclops Mateo (.8). That’s $20 mil.

• Steve H says:

In that case I don’t think DeJesus is enough of any upgrade over Melky to ignore Sheets for similar money as Douche+DeJesus combined.

Melky+Sheets>>>>DeJesus+Douche.

• Delgado – $1 mill
          J-Douche – $1 mill
          Kelvim Escobar – $1 mill
          Dejesus – Pass
          Chapman – 1963 Cadillac for his family in Cuba, it would be the newest model on the island.
          Mateo $8 million
          Twins $8 mill for Miguel Angel Sano

(I love the prospects.)

• A.D. says:

Damon/DH/J-Douche

• A.) Sign Chapman to a 5/20. Your 23M is overshooting it, the only offer at this point is a 5/15.5 from the Sox. No backloading. His 4M salary is counted mainly against the remaining 3.5M IFA budget.
      $0.5M spent, $19.5M remaining.

B.) Sign Damon to a 2/24. Make him the everyday DH, occasionally playing LF (with Melky to the bench) when Posada/ARod DH’s and Cervelli/Peña plays.
      $12.5M spent, $9.5M remaining.

C.) Sign Kelvim Escobar and Noah Lowry to minor league deals for a combined 1.5M.
      $14M spent, $6M remaining.

D.) Wish everyone else on the market well and thank them for their time. Trade Gardner only if a good piece can be had for him; do not bundle him in with Jairo Heredia for David DeJesus.
      Pocket remaining $6M.

E.) Go pussytubing.

F.) Win 2010 World Series.

G.) Repeat step E (liberally).

22. Yankeefan91 Arod Fan says:

i hear the card are ready to offer miguel tejada a 3 year deal for 20 million.

23. Another Chapman piece, this one from ESPN

Impressive list of attendees.

Among the team representatives who attended were Houston Astros general manager Ed Wade, Washington Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo, Los Angeles Angels scouting director Eddie Bane, Florida Marlins vice president of player development Jim Fleming, Pittsburgh Pirates international scouting director Rene Gayo, and Baltimore Orioles international scouting director John Stockstill, according to sources. The Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees, who are expected to be heavy bidders for Chapman, each had one area scout in attendance.

24. Zack says:

You know your team suck when a player prefers the Natinals over you. Even though he’s just chasing the highest salary, because nobody wants to go to Washington.

25. JMK THE OVERSHARE's Milton Bradley Fat Park Factor says:

What do you guys think of Pierre to the ChiSox?

• I know that I’m in the minority, but I always liked Juan Pierre. I like guys that make contact. Don’t get me wrong, I understand that strike outs, in the end, don’t mean a whole lot, but it’s harder to go into prolonged slumps when you are able to make contact with the ball.

• Also:

Cut Pierre’s salary in half, and he instantly becomes a much more desirable player. Getting Pierre at half price isn’t all that bad.

I have no idea what they’re going to do with Andruw Jones now, but whatevs.

• and. . . somebody should to explain to me why missing bats is good for a pitcher, but doesn’t matter for hitters. Failing to make contact benefits the pitcher.

• Because at the end of the PA, a strikeout is just another out. For the pitcher, there’s no risk of an out not being made because defense/batted ball luck is out of the equation. For the batter, though, it’s just making another out. Regardless of how he makes it–K, GO, FB, etc–he’s made an out.

• Hughesus Cristo says:

This didn’t make sense. If missing bats is beneficial for the pitcher, making contact is beneficial for the hitter.You always have a better chance of a hit after contact. That would include errors, moving runners, etc.

• JMK THE OVERSHARE's Milton Bradley Fat Park Factor says:

I don’t dislike the guy, and certainly making contact is a valuable thing, but I worry about his overall OBP. It was at .365 this year, but hadn’t been over .331 since 2004.

He doesn’t walk (or strikeout, for that matter) or have any power. Brett Gardner, in comparison, could probably be in the World’s Strongest Man competition. In fact, Gardner is an excellent comparison for obvious reasons. Pierre is basically Gardner with better contact skills.

If he’s on the cheap, sure, he’s attractive. He’s very attractive if you think he could keep his OBP up above .350 while giving you good range (though a weak arm) in the outfield and speed on the base paths. But that’s not the kind of guy you want to overpay for.

• I think Brian should make as many trades as possible with Kenny Williams.

26. C. Granderson says:

Is Granderson going to get a press confrence

27. wi-Fi Guy says:

Wouldnt it be great to just get the guy now !

• It’s possible they make him available at the deadline, if the Marlins fall out of it.

But I really think this is just his agent negotiating through the press. Watch him scream, yell, threaten and then sign a big extension.

• JMK THE OVERSHARE's Milton Bradley Fat Park Factor says:

3/$23 is a shit offer. And if the Smoak/Feliz offer was true, they should have taken that. I can’t believe the Marlins compete. Developing talent is only part of the equation; you have to retain some of it to be successful.

28. JMK THE OVERSHARE's Milton Bradley Fat Park Factor says:

So I finally took Riddering’s advice and watched Glee last night. I only saw the last five episode, but you know what? It’s a good show. (For what it’s (worth, I also think Ke$ha) is a true( wordsmith. (I have remarkably poor tastes.)

/hybrid Overshare + XTREME Januz Parenthesis Party’d

29. Rod says:

Am I crazy for wanting Jack Cust as a cheap and productive DH option?

30. Esteban says:

Just watched Sugar, the movie about a Dominican kid playing minor league ball. I recommend it.

31. thomasbp says: