Jan

Open Thread: A shame for any fan

So, when visiting Qualcomm Stadium, only show enthusiasm for the home team, or else.

Thanks to Jamal G for sending this in.

There’s clearly a cut in action, between the fan cheering and the police overwhelming him, but from all appearances he did nothing but cheer on his team. Other people around him, all Chargers fans it appears, say he did nothing. Towards the end you can see his girlfriend taking down contact information from the people sitting behind him. I suppose they were gracious enough to offer testimony, if it comes to that.

I post this mainly because I’ve noticed a similar trend in the bleachers at Yankee Stadium. Fans will zone in on a particular fan, usually one wearing Red Sox gear, or sometimes the opposing team’s gear, and taunt him throughout the game. Eventually, the fan being taunted will do something back, signaling for the fans to bring it on or something like that, and then face ejection. Unless I’m missing something when this goes on, it appears security will eject fans peremptorily, as to avoid any potential conflicts.

Is it right? I say no. There’s no reason to eject someone for merely cheering on his own team. If he taunts other fans, then there might be a case. But what if his taunts were provoked by other taunters? I dunno. Every fan should get fair warning if they’re about to cross a line. I wonder if the cops gave this Jets fan a warning before detaining him.

Anyway, use this as your open thread. There’s not much going on in local sports tonight. The Devils already lost to the Islanders, the Knicks already beat the Pistons, and the Clippers already beat the Nets. For those interested in Big East hoops, Syracuse plays Notre Dame in South Bend at 7 on ESPN.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Drew says:

ATTICA! ATTICA! haha

That’s pretty messed up if he really did nothing.

• The Three Amigos says:

True, but why fight the cops that much… Why not go with the cops and clear up the misunderstanding while the girlfriend took down the names and numbers of the people.

• Drew says:

Maybe because he spent $500 to go to a football game? He wasn’t really fighting he was just like “wtf I didn’t do anything.”

• Steve in PDX says:

It doesn’t look like he actively resisted, he just wanted to make sure they had to work to drag him out, same thing protesters do when they get arrested (for nothing)

2. I still can’t believe it. But I’m starting to.

I can’t stop thinking about 2007…

3. DP says:

In my opinion, if you show up to a Blue Jays-Yankees game wearing Red Sox gear, you are basically inviting people to taunt you. How you respond is your own choice.

4. I’d sue their asses for wrongful imprisonment, and make them change their policies.

• Drew says:

It’s sketchy. He could have been arrested for public drunkenness or something.

• I’ll sick all my lawyer friends on those goons. Mo, Ben, and EJ will slap them with so many court filings it will make their heads spin.

Then I’ll get TSJC to use his political connections to have the San Diego Buildings Department hit them with a bazillion violations, and threaten to close the facility.

Then I’ll get Mike to write up a fancy discrete event simulation, which will show that they’re getting people in and out of the ballpark way too slow. And then I’ll have EJ sue them for all their patrons lost time. Time is money, you know.

Mess with me, huh? I’ll show you!

5. FrankFernandez says:

He was taunting them in their hour of pain. Sorry, but it’s risky.

6. RichYF says:

My cousin (who currently lives with me) is a cop in Hartford, which is a pretty rough city on Connecticut. He always tells me about the “old-timers” and how they basically don’t take any lip from anyone and will just take care of business. I more or less understand and agree. The one person you “take it easy on” might take your life. So, on the street, I would have no mercy either.

This is a stadium. I assume there is security, if not metal detectors. Yeah, so these fans are a little drunk. So what? That’s their right. I think it’s funny how at the end that one officer is like “I just got here, don’t talk to me like that” as if the guy is a criminal. Clearly he has a badge so you can’t talk back to him. Some cops really get off on the “power” they feel they deserve.

Either way, that whole video was a joke. It makes that whole department look retarded. Nine cops to arrest a drunk Jets fan that may or may not have been considered obnoxious? Stay classy, San Diego.

• Kiko Jones says:

…the ‘old-timers’…basically don’t take any lip from anyone and will just take care of business. I more or less understand and agree. The one person you ‘take it easy on’ might take your life. So, on the street, I would have no mercy either.

Shoot first, ask questions later: it’s the American way!

Seriously, I’ve got friends and relatives on the NYPD, and they complain about fellow officers with that “Wild West” kinda mentality all the time, saying it’s more detrimental than anything, especially if everyone in a certain neighborhood or area starts thinking that an exchange w/the cops is always gonna go sour. You don’t need some idiot to get any ideas and think he needs to prove he’s no pussy, and then…

As for the SDPD, friends who have lived all over the country, tell stories about cops in other big cities that make the NYPD come across as pushover, substitute teachers in comparison. So, I’m not surprised this guy may have gotten hauled in for no reason.

Yeah, the “you can’t talk to me” cop…I agree with you wholeheartedly. What an ass.

7. There’s not much going on in local sports tonight.

We’ll always have Jack Bauer.

8. scooter says:

You can hear a Charger fan in the background saying “he did nothing wrong”, and the gf got info from another Charger fan behind her

I see a big lawsuit unless the cops have some proof here

• That’s the most damning piece of evidence to me. But the editing is very suspicious. You’d really need more info about what they were arresting him for, and what transpired the entire time.

If some ticked off Chargers fan complained to security because he was annoyed that the guy was cheering for his team, then it’s wrong, and I would think actionable. But we really don’t know that.

• scooter says:

Without the support of the Charger fans around the Jets fan, I would normally assume that the guy got out of control during the ‘gap’ – I agree 100%

And yeah, the editing is – well – interesting.

Since the fans around him didn’t seem to want him tossed, and some seemed supportive, color me curious to see how this one plays out.

My cousin lives out in SD, and I’ve attended a couple of sporting events there. Normally the fans are mellow as all heck. Maybe the cops have never encountered a cheering fan before

9. zzzzzz says:

awesome job of that guy calling out the cops. i’d like to see a follow up to this too.

10. I’m bored. Someone give me a job. And pay me for it.

• Evilest Empire says:

Want to sell electricity to businesses in New Jersey?

• Will you pay me enough to move out and not be dependent on others paying my rent?

• Evilest Empire says:

Its a commission based sales job, so that’d be up to you. But we’re launching in NJ this week (with NY and PA soon to follow), and there’s a lot of money to be made in deregulated electricity, no shit. I helped my Dad make an awesome online electricity portal where people can lock in electricity rates online – nothing else like it. Our affiliates are kicking ass in Texas and NJ is the 2nd state we’re branching into.

• I know absolutely nothing about electricity except not to go near it with water.

But maybe you need someone to make fancy powerpoints and write press releases? I could do that quite well!

• Evilest Empire says:

We already a press release lady lol, sorry :-p

Its not as intimidating as it might sound. If you happen to have a network of business contacts, you can just refer people over to your website (you get a free website), have them register, and then us at HQ will actually close the sale. Then you get your commission.

You can also turn other people into affiliates and then whenever they get someone to sign up, you get an overriding commission.

Its basically like having your own virtual electricity brokerage firm (its not a MLM btw, there’s no cost to you at all).

http://energymarketexchange.com/ is the website if you (or anyone else) is curious about selling electricity. You can put in a Texas zipcode (like 75214, for Dallas as an example) to get a better idea of how it works.

Note to all: sorry to rant about my biz, I can’t help myself sometimes

• I’m about to have a lot fewer hours at a learning center than I did before; you can do that, though I doubt you want to drive up to Westport.

• Mike P says:

Something very rude along the lines of “if you give me a job I’ll pay you for it” comes to mind. Didn’t say it though, so don’t take it the wrong way!

• As I’ve said, if you want to break into the writing/journalism business, you’re going to have to volunteer for an unpaid internship. That’s far better experience than anything you’ve gotten over the last four months, and it’s a great way to get a foot in the door. I can see why you wouldn’t want to do that at the start, but at some point, it’s the way to go.

11. Mike P says:

There’s a clear difference between stewards ejecting someone unfairly, such as for “provoking” home fans by chanting (which is a whole other debate), and this. This is a man being arrested illegally. Ben K. will be able to explain much better, but in buying a ticket to a stadium you submit to house rules, within reason. House rules do not however take precedent over your constitutional rights. This man has a case for unlawful arrest as far as I understand it.

12. chriskeo says:

According to Chad Jennings at LoHud, the Yankees agreed to contracts with Gaudin and Logan. No specific contract details, but they should be coming soon. Link below.

13. All I can say is that I’m glad that things like this don’t go on in Yankee Stadium.

(sets stopwatch)

14. ultimate913 says:

I do feel sorry for the guy but that felt like a “DON’T TASE ME, BRO!” moment.

15. scooter says:

If “DP” is still stuck with that virus, I have a link for him:

All he needs to do is to download Malwarebytes and follow the directions in that link.

16. http://bases.nbcsports.com/201.....e.html.php

Yankee Stadium stuff is worth more than Shea? Go figure.

17. 24 is starting.

$10 says that the Middle Eastern guy gets clipped.

18. T-Dubs says:

contracts for Gaudin and Boone per LoHud.

19. Drew says:

2.9 for Gaudin, sounds about right. If a team wants to trade for him to be a starter, it’s great value.

20. Fantasy bball trade proposal: Would surrendering Kevin Martin for Stephen Curry be a good deal for me?

• Steve H says:

I’d say no. Don Nelson is too much of a wild card. Martin when healthy is guaranteed 30+ minutes a game. With Curry you never know, and rookies almost always hit a wall in the NBA, their season doubles from college.

21. Junior says:

How much is Mitre making this year. I know he signed not that long ago but cannot recall.

22. AndrewYF says:

Is it just me, or are these some pretty bad NY accents here on 24?

23. Reggie C. says:

Who is that blond chick and why is she rocking a tank top at CTU?

24. Reggie C. says:

Hot Damn! Freckles Bauer is fucking hot.

25. Hey! Isn’t that guy the french film director from the VISA commercials?

26. Tom Zig says:

I’m sure most of you have seen this link from Rob Neyer’s blog on ESPN, but in case you haven’t…here you go:

27. aj says:

I always defend the police, but not all officers are as responsible as the NYPD. Something strange went on there, we don’t know the conversation between officers and the guy or anything he did off camera. But he got so much support from Charger fans and that last guy was being bullied by the officer. I hope this video circulates.

28. Tom Zig says:

as per ESPN:

Felix Hernandez is going to sign an extension

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Reggie C. says:

No surprise. This extension should be set Felix up for a couple lifetimes. I wonder if its going to double that given to Greinke.

I guess this makes signing Cliff Lee all the more important now that the horizon of available #1s gets further away.

29. crapula says:

During the playoff games I noticed it was always Yankee fans getting ejected. I couldn’t believe the balls of some of the Twins/Angels/Phillies fans. Okay Phillies yes. Twins and Angels, no. But every case I saw it was a few opposing team fans sitting in a section of Yankee fans screaming out obscenities about Yankees (esp Jeter and Arod)and then some Yankee fan blowing his top. Not right but that’s what I saw. I even saw security chasing this guy (Yankee fan) who had been screaming at Twins fans whenever they yelled MVP for Mauer and whenever Jeter was up would scream “over-rated.”

The regular year is different, Mets and RS fans typically get into it with Yankee fans, but usually no one else. And, for some reason, the Mets or RS fan gets ejected. But during the playoffs it always seemed the Yankee fan got tossed.

30. Klemy says:

I’ve seen this happen at Bills and Sabres games. Fans around someone who is just cheering for their visiting team will target them and decide to tell security that they are disturbing them and whammo – they get tossed out of the section without having done anything.

I don’t know if that’s the case with this guy, but I’ve seen this kind of behavior at our home games and it’s disappointing when the fan didn’t really do anything to deserve it. I guess some people just think it’s funny to get an opposing fan ejected.

• Kered Retej says:

Hey! Another Yankees-Sabres-(bills) fan…

I hate to be the old fart here, but the increasingly uncivilized behavior at sports venues is one of the main reasons I don’t attend many live sporting events, especially now that I have young kids. It is a minority of folks ruining the experience for everyone else.

I think that a little bit of “friendly” shouting between fans of competing teams is OK, but why does wearing Yankee gear at Fenway (or vice versa) make it OK to throw stuff at me and pour beer on me. I don’t taunt anyone and I generally don’t even shout, just cheer and clap when something good happens for the team I am rooting for. Still, I have had all kinds of insults thrown my way and garbage thrown at me.

Again, sorry for being the grouch old man (hey – I’m only 35, younger than the real Derek).

31. Brian says:

It’s one thing to cheer your team on, and it’s another to be a total d-bag. This guy shouldn’t have been arrested, but he should have been punched in the face. He’s clearly doing the J-E-T-S chant and acting like an asshole. I was once dumb enough to wear my Giants jersey to a Giants-Eagles playoff game in Philly, and I acted like an asshole early in the game, and when the Giants tied it late in the 4th (before Akers kicked a GW FG). I had beer and nachos spilled on me throughout the entire game. You have to control yourself when you’re in enemy territory, especially if your team is winning.

32. Johnny says:

I don’t like this. The policing has gotten too aggresive. The Cops are there to make sure nobody gets hurt, not nobody gets their feelings hurt. I know what its like to have to maintain order in a crowd way larger than the security staff(it sucks), but you have to approach it reasonably. probably 95-99 percent of people in any crowd just aren’t going to engage whatever authority(cops, security, etc) physically, they just wont. so while you should always be vigilant about the possibility, going to those measures before anything even happens is just extreme, and citing officer or public safety as justification for this to be a 9 cop physical situation doesn’t hold water at all. Bullying is the word.

Whats the worst that can happen, he gets beat up a bit? Maybe the risk of getting puched in the head is a more powerful incentive to not be obnoxious than the risk of getting kicked out is. As long as theres no weapons involved, even a good size brawl is pretty easy for the amount of cops at a game to get under control pretty quick. I’m not advocating fighting, it’s stupid. All I’m saying is I’d rather suffer through a couple scraps at the stadium than see the police state that prevails outside creep it’s way in, thats if it’s not too late already.

As a side note, That video is nothing compared to what the jets fan would go through at Ralph Wilson stadium in Buffalo. We piss on people. seriously.

33. currambayankees says:

Well I hope the city of San Diego’s Police Dept has a pretty Law Suit coming again them. wtf, how do you arrest a guy for cheering and nothing else. The worst part being that even the Charger’s fans are telling the cops he didn’t do anything.

34. Ellis Gibson says:

i always watch internet video on youtube and metacafe;`: