Feb

Open Thread: Spring Training TV Schedule

Yearning for some Yankees baseball? I know I am, so you can imagine how excited I was when I headed over to the official site earlier today, only to found out the TV schedule for Spring Training games had been released. 15 of the 32 games are being televised, far more than I remember them showing in the past. All but three home games will be on the tube. But hey, I’m not complaining.

Here’s the list of televised games. All times are Eastern and all games are on YES unless otherwise noted…

Wednesday, March 3rd: 1:05pm vs. Pirates (Spring Opener)
Friday, March 5th: 1:05pm vs. Rays
Saturday, March 6th: 1:05pm vs. Blue Jays (My9)
Monday, March 8th: 1:05pm vs. Phillies (split squad)
Tuesday, March 9th: 1:05pm vs. Pirates
Thursday, March 11th: 7:05pm vs. Braves
Saturday, March 13th: 1:05pm vs. Orioles (split squad) (My9)
Thursday, March 18th: 7:05pm vs. Rays
Friday, March 19th: 1:05pm vs. Tigers (split squad)
Sunday, March 21st: 1:05pm vs. Tigers
Monday, March 22nd: 1:05pm @ Phillies (YES/ESPN)
Sunday, March 28th: 1:05pm vs. Tigers
Tuesday, March 30th: 7:05pm vs. Blue Jays (split squad)
Wednesday, March 31st: 1:05pm vs. Twins (YES/ESPN)
Friday, April 2nd: 1:05pm vs. Orioles (YES/ESPN)

So right off the bat, three of the Yanks’ first four spring games are on TV. That’s awesome. All but one of the broadcasted games is a home game, which makes sense since I’m sure they don’t want to lug the YES cameras around and stuff. Even the one away game is against the Phillies in Clearwater, a half-hour away.

That April 2nd game is their last one of the exhibition season, but the Yanks will play their prospects in the Future Stars Game the next day. Apparently that won’t be on TV, and I’d like the know why not. The next day, the Yanks will be in Boston for Opening Day. Oh boy, baseball’s almost here.

Here’s tonight’s open thread. The Nets are playing, and the highlight of the Olympics is USA facing Canada in hockey, which you can watch on 7pm ET on MSNBC . Enjoy.

1. I’m not sure I can handle rooting against Martin Brodeur.

2. T-Dubs says:

Suggestion time: Looking for good suggestions to add to the RSS reader I just started today.

I like sports, music, nerdy-music engineering, and lefty leaning politics.

I started with the Yanks ones and got this list so far:

Bronx Baseball Daily
    NoMaas
    TYU
    Zell’s
    Fack Youk
    iYankees
    Pinstripe Alley
    Was Watching
    and of course Purist Bleeds Pinstripes

I read RAB and LoHud enough that I didn’t add them.

Help appreciated!

3. jramey says:

what does split squad mean? I’m going to the March 9th game and i was wondering. does that mean the minor leaguers will play the majority?

4. Tank the Frank says:

Neftali Feliz will audition for the starting rotation during spring training, reports T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com.

“Things change,” said pitching coach Mike Maddux. “We’re going to stretch him and then at some point in Spring Training we’ll all get our heads together and decide which way we are going to go. Injuries happen. Right now we have a lot of starters, but will we have a lot of starters five or six weeks from now?”

What a mess. The Rangers organization is ruining this young pitcher with their team-inflicted head games.

/sarcasm’d
    /Baseball Prospectus’d

5. I finally saw The Hurt Locker last night. Holy crap that movie was awesome.

6. I want to party in the Holland House.

7. bexarama says:

ESPN Classic had the game today from when the 2001 Mariners – you know, the 116-win 2001 Mariners? – blew a 12-run lead to Cleveland. Fun times. I forgot Charlie Manuel was managing Cleveland then.

8. I wonder if the Spring Training games will be shown on YES nationwide. I’m not optimistic that they will.

9. king of fruitless hypotheticals says:

ok, we’re packing bags for ST tomorrow morning…any last minute advice for what/where/how?

we’re also setting up our big league schedule for the year, and fml, i’m in DC for a week and the Natinals and Orioles dont have any games on the same or consecutive days…what luck :(

10. Tom Zig says:

I love Google Chrome, but it eats up a lot of my memory when I’m using it.

11. There’s a guy on the U.S. team named Tommy Callahan? That’s awesome.

12. NoMaas apparently interviewed Swisher.

They’ve got connections, dayum.

13. king of fruitless hypotheticals says:

what was with those pitcher projections? CC is less than .500, Mo blows 3 saves (min, prolly more cause they have him w/4 wins…not to mention how many saves they thought he’d have. another 15 wins out of the non-hughes pen, and we still dont win 86 games?!?!

14. Rob NY says:

Anybody know what the deal is going to be with Spring Training games and the iphone mlb app? IIRC they weren’t broadcast last season, and living in MA and not having cable means I would be OUT.

15. That escalated quickly.

16. Big Juan says:

Even if you don’t like hockey, USA vs. Canada is a must watch right now. This game is awesome so far.

• that’s cause it is what nhl hockey should be. bigger rink, faster, much more beautiful game. the “trapezoid” the smaller rinks and the amount of penalties really tie it down imo. if this were an nhl game there owuld’ve been like 5 power plays already.

it was a good start when the nhl got rid of the 2 line pass but i still think it will suffer til they go to the bigger ice

• Big Juan says:

I agree 100%. The Olympic game is so much better. Plus you don’t have to watch a fight every 5 minutes.

• whoa whoa. i love the fights. if they took the olympic game and made it the nhl with the fighting of the nhl it’d be amazing. I also feel like it would cut down on the dirty hits and serious injuries like the claude lemiuex on kris draper or the recent (last yr i think) boarding injury cause with a lot more open ice and a faster paced game it is harder to catch up mwith someone and catch them unawares

• Big Juan says:

Don’t get me wrong, I like a good fight, but I feel like there’s too much in the NHL. Plus NHL teams carry meatheads for the sole purpose of fighting, which takes away from the quality of play.

• I may be wrong but I think it’s an NHL sized rink. The same one the Canucks play in. I think.

17. Mike Axisa says:

This game is intense. Holy shitballs.

18. canada is dominating the scoring chances. if this keeps up it is only a matter of time

19. JobaWockeeZ says:

Where is the hockey game? What channel?

20. Steve H says:

Every time I see Mike Milbury, I immediately think of this classic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ef1YVXM9IU (safe)

21. Steve H says:

The USA Hockey team should pick up Tanith Belbin, just so I have a good excuse to watch her.

22. bexarama says:

Phil Coke in Detroit:
    (safe)

That’s… not a good look for him. (also RICK PORCELLO I LOVE YOU)

23. can i just say, in reference to nomass’s interview with swisher, i hate how everyone uses the term “core four.”

cc used it earlier in an interview i think too. ugh. why not just call them the 5 rings club. next someone will call them the real yankees.

\rant

24. T-Dubs says:

what’s the hockey score? girlfriend has the remote.

25. Hangoverologist says:

I went to the batting cages today with my dad. He said I have a swing similar to Johnny Damon’s. Does this mean I’m going to say I love a city and then go sign with another city that’s offering more dollars?

26. Steve H says:

Dany Heatley is a cold blooded killer.

/Jack Edwards’d

27. jramey says:

over/under 15 steals?

28. Ugh @ Sweet Caroline. Worst. Song. Ever.

29. the blackhawks are gonna be good for a loooong time with kane, toews and that other guy i cant think off off the top of my head. and if they can resign campbell.

30. Brent says:

28 Days Later is an awesome movie.

31. usa has no offense. jeez. they’re getting schooled in every way but the score

32. T-Dubs says:

is there no place online that has a refreshing score?

33. Let me make this an open question.

Which Yankee do you think you’ll absolutely H-A-T-E this year, and want off the team by June? Last year I had Phil Coke, the year before I had Latroy Hawkins. This year, I suspect it will be Randy Winn.

34. Hangoverologist says:

I would say either Hoffman if he makes the roster and shits the bed a la Gardner or Winn if he bombs against lefties.

35. Steve H says:

I still think of Chris Drury LLWS star before I think of Chris Drury NHL star.

36. Mike Axisa says:

Hey look, Chris Drury’s starting to earn some of his contract…

37. Drew says:

Nard-dog is up on A-Brack. Awesome.

Nardi Contreras said Brackman has been throwing his fastball and curveball for strikes, and now he’s trying to refine his changeup. “Brackman’s fastball is great,” Contreras said. “Command. He’s downhill. Throwing the ball really well.” Even Girardi watched Brackman a little bit today. “He looked good,” Girardi said. “He was down in the zone all day today, which is encouraging. I think his mechanics are cleaner.”

• Drew says:

oh, that’s from Lohud.

• T-Dubs says:

I’m high on Brackman too. I’m feeling a big year.

• If he can keep his ball down, he’ll be almost unhittable. 6’10″ with loads of downward plane would make that thing impossible to get any lift on.

But everyone looks great in ST. I’ll wait for the games to begin. He’s the kind of pitcher who could look great in side sessions, but lose his mechanics in the middle of a game and get clobbered.

• Drew says:

Hey, if Nardi is happy, I’m happy.

• Steve H says:

With Brackman, I’ll certainly take looking great in ST. His problems are clearly more physical and mechanical than mental, so it’s not like he’s getting into games and struggling due to his makeup, but more being 82 feet tall and still not 100% coming back from TJS. It’s certainly a small win that he’s throwing well the 1st week in ST, but I’ll take it.

38. WOW, the U.S. just got so lucky. How did that not go in?!

39. Hangoverologist says:

Concerning next year’s FA class, does anybody think Jayson Werth could be an option for left field? He’s a good defender (3.4 UZR/150 last year), gives you plate discipline, and is a great hitter (wOBA of .383).

Opinions?

40. Drew says:

DEA is an awesome show.

41. pat says:

I really want the Giants to take that punter from UM Zoltan Mesko with their 6th or 7th round pick. 6’5″ with huge guns, punts the ball a ton, AND has a badass name. DON’T MESKO WITH THE ZOLTAN

42. Steve H says:

So if the USA holds on, in the grand scheme of things how much does this help their medal chances and/or hurt Canada’s?

43. Zack says:

“Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak, meanwhile, has said that one reason he went to seven years, $120 million on Holliday was his fear that Boras would accept a one-year contract from another club.”

That’s just stupid.

44. Tremendously tremendous? Really?

45. Steve H says:

They should have pulled the goalie sooner, the USA can barely get a stick on the puck, nevermind clearing the zone.

46. T-Dubs says:

Do you believe in slight upsets?!?!

47. Well Canada, don’t be too upset. You still have Avril Lavigne and the Barenakedladies to fall back on.

48. Steve H says:

For anyone who didn’t get enough of a hockey fix, Slap Shot is on VS.

49. T-Dubs says:

What’s Tim Beckham’s ceiling?

50. So I just spent a few minutes looking at the standings/tourney rules… And it looks to me like the winner of the Canada/Germany play-in game is probably going to get Russia in the quarterfinals, right? I’m not sure how tonight’s Finland/Sweden game affects the seeding for the knockout rounds, so maybe I’m missing something.

Canada/Russia in the quarterfinals would be so cool. If Ovie knocks Cindy out of the Olympics in the quarterfinals (on Canadian soil!), Mike Millbury might spontaneously combust (along with the rest of Canada).

51. [...] full squad workouts are underway in Tampa, and we’re less than a week away from seeing Yankee baseball on TV. Good times, good times. I have to start today’s chat early because of my afternoon shift at [...]