Feb

Open Thread: Updated tribute video

We posted this video way back in November, but we’re reposting it because a) it’s awesome, and b) it’s been updated to include the 2009 season. It’s well worth ten minutes of your time, so check it out.

Here’s your open thread. The Nets and Knicks are both playing, plus the Olympics are in their second to last day of competition. At 10pm ET, Slovakia will play Finland is the hockey bronze medal game, so that might be worth a watch. Anything goes, so have it at it.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Jairus says:

Any advice in purchasing a Yankee Universe membership?
    Well, I’m planning to buy the “blue pack,” $19.95 but if I can get a part time job next month I might purchase the “Pinstripe Pack”. And what can you say about the following
    * 2009 World Series DVD – only World Series? Not whole postseason?
    * Yankees Cap – is this a New Era fitted?
    * Yankees Mug – whatever :D
    * Portable Speakers – what can you say about the quality of this?
    * Yankee Stadium Tour – what if I can’t use this in this season, can I use it in other season? Like 2011?
    * Flash Drive with exclusive content – how many GB is this?

How much exactly can I save if I buy the pinstripe pack instead if I buy the blue pack + 2009 world Series DVD, Yankees Cap, Yankees Mug, Portable Speakers, Yankee Stadium Tour, Flash Drive with exclusive content separately? I’m not really planning in going to NY right now so I can’t use the other privilege of the membership.

And by the way, I’m a grade 12 student from MB,Canada. If that makes any difference in your answer.

Thanks.

2. bexarama says:

It’s been an interminably long day and I am miserably sick, sooo…

a. that video rules. It makes me feel better. Woot
    b. Someone start a fight with me over whether Derek Jeter is a switch-hitter (he hit only .311 left-handed. LOOK HIS STATS UP!!!!) and/or whether Alex Rodriguez only has his World Series ring because of Hideki Matsui and Johnny Damon so I can be amused.

• Feel better hon (I’m guessing you’re hon and not dude because of the ‘bex’ and the fact that my friends called me Bex in high school, but feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.)

• Ana says:

Aww, feel better!

And, aren’t fact-based arguments that should never happen over things that common knowledge and/or a trip to Google would tell you frustratingly therapeutic?

Like, after Game 1 of the World Series this year, this kid (Red Sox fan in name, actually knows nothing about baseball) in one of my classes: “If you guys keep choking like that in the playoffs, no wonder you haven’t won a World Series since the 1990s.”

Me: “First of all, it’s game one; second of all, no, we beat the Mets in 2000. Subway Series.”

Him: “The Subway Series was in 1999. You lost to the Diamondbacks in 2000. You don’t know much for someone who claims to be a Yankees fan.”

I was torn between laughing at him and punching him in the face. I wound up doing neither and linking him to the Wikipedia article on the 2000 World Series.

• Tom Zig says:

Was his name Pistol Pete?

• bexarama says:

It was hilarious to see the number of status updates on Facebook and the like that consisted of “ANGELS IN SEVEN!!!!” after Game 5 of the ALCS, from people who had been very very very quiet for the past week or so before it happened. Save after Game 1 of the WS, they were pretty quiet for the rest of the time too ;)

• Tom Zig says:

Halos Heaven was always fun to read during the ALCS.

• bexarama says:

spit halo, Fox loves the Yankees, starting a fight with Fack Youk, EAST COAST BIAS!!!!

Did I get everything?

• Tom Zig says:

The umpires were suspiciously clearly favoring the Yankees?

• Ana says:

I remember one post, after we finished dominating the Twins, saying that the Yankees didn’t have to worry about adding #27 this year, because they clearly had the umpires in their back pockets, and that the umps, by the dollar of Daddy George, would do whatever was necessary to ensure the Yanks world title. “I hope you’re proud of your team. Really, enjoy your “victory.””

I LOL’d.

• bexarama says:

You know, if the Yankees only win because they bribe the umpires, they weren’t holding up their end of the deal very well in 2001-2008 boooo! I want my money back!!!

• JGS says:

you missed the biggest one of all–Rivera throws spitballs!

• Ana says:

That made me so angry. Like, I rarely get angry about baseball trash-talking. But that frickin’ pissed me off.

• bexarama says:

I just laughed. Like, had anyone taken it seriously, then I would have gotten pissed off. But no, it was dumb. Seriously, Mariano spits when he comes out. This has been going on since like 1995. He doesn’t spit on the ball, and if he did:
                  a. it wouldn’t necessarily do anything.
                  b. don’t you think an umpire/someone else would have noticed it in the prior, you know, FIFTEEN YEARS the guy had been pitching??

• JGS says:

it should have been laughed off, but the amount of traction it gained was angering

• bexarama says:

Also, as long as we’re talking about the refs and how awesome they were, LOL. Between Jorge’s awesome baserunning and Cano’s very nonchalant sliding of his foot back on the bag, that always brings the lulz.

• Tom Zig says:

Don’t you have to chew tobacco for a spit ball to work effectively?

• Are you girls cycles syncing yet?

jk

3. Correction.

Nets played. And beat the Celtics.

So now all of you will watch Syracuse smoke some ‘Nova.

4. brian paul says:

this video is so awesome. it reminds me of so many incredible moments of my childhood. ha! i can imagine the italian ice in my hand spending incredible nights with my dad in front of the tv watching mattingly, tino, jete, mo do the unthinkable. again… and again… and again…

great video guys. love it.

5. The Evil Empire says:

OH NO A ROD CRASHED HIS MAYBACH IN TAMPA!!!!!
    lol my girlfriend sent me this
    Hope I’m not late

6. Incredible video. It cannot be said enough.

7. ColoYank says:

YOU. FOLKS. MUST. WATCH. THIS.

All the way through. I started off being tickled by the ’40s song and tight harmony, but as the video goes on, my jaw just kept dropping and dropping lower.

Oh, man, my mind just went everwhere. Really.

8. After we played football, I educated my friend on UZR/wOBA/WAR.

9. Tom Zig says:

It’s interesting to see how mad Halos Heaven is at John Lackey

10. steve s says:

Video is great but there is a mistake in the listings at the end as the Yanks are not given credit for winning the AL East in 1994. In the same vein one historical inaccuracy that always bugged me was that the Braves are usually given credit for most consecutive playoff appearances even though that run should have been (and would have been) cutoff by lack of playoff appearance in 1994 so Yanks run of playoff appearances from 95 to 2007 should be the record. It is not even clear to me what entity is the official arbiter of baseball records these days (Selig’s office? Elias?) as Yank fans should bug them into officially recognizing the Yankee streak over the Braves streak (and for those who say who gives a shit getting it straight especially when it adds to the Yanks historical dominance/glory seems to me worth pursuing).

• bexarama says:

I don’t think people count 1994 at all, because who knows what would have happened after the strike?

• steve s says:

For what it’s worth I am pretty certain that the 1994 division winners were given “official” recognition of being division winners in terms of counting how many divisions a team has won. The Braves vs. Yankee post-season streak argument is more of a logical one regarding how steaks are recognized. For example if the streak was how many times a team has consecutively hit 100 home runs in a season or how many times a team has consecutively drawn over a million in attendance or how many years in a row a player has hit 30 or more HR’s or driven in a 100 runs (a la Arod last year) failure to do so in 1994 would clearly have been a streak ender. In the same way not making the playoffs in 1994 should have been a streak ender for the Braves.

• bexarama says:

It was unofficial.

Wow, the AL West was TERRIBLE that year. No team over .500 at the time of the strike! A 47-68 team was only 5.5 games back. o_O

NOTE: There are no official champions, all teams finished in last place… the Atlanta Braves were in second place behind the Montreal Expos on the strike date, which would’ve cut short the Braves’ record of consecutive NL Eastern division championships.

Yankees rule and all but I don’t really care, let the Braves have their consecutive playoff appearances.

• steve s says:

What could be more unofficial than the Baseball Wiki page that could be edited by anyone. The statement that “all teams finished in last place” smacks of being an editorial comment rather than the authoritative be/all end/all of the argument (if you ask the question how many times have the Yanks finished in last place do people say they finished last in 1994? that on its face is silly).

• bexarama says:

The Yankees winning the AL East in 1994? :P

11. Coach6423 says:

I hate Tim Higgins….

12. Chris says:

Love the video, especially the older stuff. A lot of the older clips I’ve never seen before, so it’s always cool to get some actual game video of players that played before everything was captured on film.

The more recent stuff brings back a lot of memories. The oldest of the clips I can personally remember witnessing live (either on tv or at a game) was the Abbott no-no.

On a separate note, I never realized how uninterested Joe Buck seems in the game action until I saw some of those clips. I guess I don’t pay attention when it’s happening live, but it seems like he’s calling the action for a funeral.

13. Coach6423 says:

Andy F. Rautins….

14. Bob Stone says:

Syracuse looks so much stronger than Villanova. I’m a little surprised they beat up on the ‘Cats as much as they did.

Villanova’s first half shot selection stunk. They missed a lot of three’s that were ill-advised shots.

15. Watched it four times already. I get teary eyed each time.

I can’t wait for opening day. I can’t wait for the rest of April, May, June, July, August and September! And hopefully more baseball in October and November.

I can’t wait!

16. bonestock94 says:

Hey Mike, you really think the Bay signing was good for the Mets?

17. NY Yankee Fan says:

I was reading a comment to a NESN.COM article regarding A-Rod that came up on Google news that linked to a great parady song. I thought I would share it.

18. Pete C. says: