Mar

A-Rod to cooperate with Galea investigators

So much for that quiet Spring Training. After his name surfaced in newspaper reports this morning, Alex Rodriguez confirmed today that he will meet with federal authorities to discuss his involvement in an ongoing investigation into a Canadian doctor arrested on drug charges in October. Anthony Galea, a Toronto-based sports specialist, is suspected of supplying HGH and other performance-enhancing drugs from Canada into the United States, but so far, the nature of his ties to A-Rod remain unknown.

According to various reports, Mark Lindsay, the chiropractor who oversaw A-Rod’s rehab from hip surgery last year, has close ties to both BALCO and Galea, and authorities are probably curious to find out if A-Rod wants more. Lindsay has also treated Chien-Ming Wang.

At camp today, A-Rod could not comment on his association with Galea due to the ongoing investigation. “I can’t really get into that,” he said to reporters. “You’ll know within time all at the same time.”

The Yankees, in a statement, attempted to distance themselves from the latest PED controversy to descend upon A-Rod at Spring Training. “The New York Yankees have not been contacted with regard to an investigation of Dr. Tony Galea,” the team said. “The Yankees never authorized Dr. Tony Galea to treat Alex Rodriguez, nor do we have any knowledge of any such treatment. The Yankees authorized Dr. Marc Philippon to operate on Alex and oversee his rehabilitation. At the request of Dr. Philippon, we also authorized Dr. Mark Lindsay to supervise the daily rehabilitation program established by Dr. Philippon. We will continue to monitor the situation.” Ben Shpigel of The Times reported, however, that team executives are annoyed that A-Rod’s name would surface in yet another PED investigation just one year after the latest controversy.

For what it’s worth, Jose Reyes was questioned in this investigation as well. Reyes spent time this winter with Galea and has closer ties to him than A-Rod appears to. Yet, nothing came of that questioning, and I expect the same result here. Call me naïve, but I can’t imagine A-Rod would have been foolish enough to get himself involved in another PED scandal since the last one broke a year ago.

Photo Credit: AP Photo/Kathy Willens

Categories : STEROIDS!

1. pat says:

24+1. Get Ransom on the horn.

2. Steve H says:

/Patiently waiting for dalelama to come trash A-Rod.

• bexarama says:

He was the reason we lost in 2004!!!

/I’m gonna keep doing this’d

Also, that’s, um, a nice picture of A-Rod.

3. Dirty Pena: The Triple Entendre of DP says:

What a fraud.

/Scout X’d

4. Gor says:

What’s the worst that could happen here? He’s already admitted to using the steroids.

5. Andy_C_23 says:

Isn’t this like double jeopardy or something?

• JGS says:

George Sr.: [explaining why he left the company to Lucille] They cannot charge a husband and wife for the same crime.
      Michael: That’s not true.
      George Sr.: Really?
      Michael: Yep.
      George Sr.: [whispering] I got the worst [bleep]-ing attorneys.

6. r.w.g. says:

Not that I really care one way or the other…

But the idea that Alex would be “smart enough” to not get involved with another PED issue, it just doesn’t seem realistic to me. Of course he would.

PEDs made Alex Rodriguez a better player. They help him hit baseballs. They help everyone hit baseballs. Everyone was taking them. I think it’s also pretty clear people were taking them like business as usual even after testing was first implemented because union guys like Gene Orza were tipping the random tests.

The only reason Alex (and anyone else) came forward and admitted anything in the first place was because his name was on a list because he physically, biologically failed his test. I would think the prospect of getting his hands on a PED that is not only hard to detect anyway, but isn’t actually tested for would make Alex’s eyes light up like a kid on Christmas.

• That’s definitely the flipside of it. But you’d have to think he know he would get royally screwed if he got caught.

I’d imagine right here we’re dealing with a similar situation to the Reyes story. A-Rod worked with a guy who knows the guy who got busted. I’d guess that’s the extent of his involvement unless, that is, this story is really going to blow sky high.

• r.w.g. says:

It’s just weird. Tiger Woods, Jose Reyes, Alex.. they all go to this guy so he can spin their blood and then re-inject it, which is basically a somewhat similar procedure to injecting artificial human growth hormone because of the effects the spinning and additives have on the blood sample.

Wouldn’t be a huge leap to think the doctor just went all the way with one of the guys because the blood spinning wasn’t creating quite the results desired. At the same time, is it totally out of my realm of beliefs that this doctor could just be using these materials for regular patients who want to shortcut their six-pack abs? Sure.

It’s just weird that he’s trying to sneak them across the border for a “medical conference” through a third party and he just happens to be connected to all of these athletes.

I’m not even really against HGH or the blood spinning technique.

• The other aspect to consider too is that when BALCO got raided, no one initially thought it would blow up in baseball’s face as it did. Hopefully, that won’t happen here, but there’s always a chance it could. It’s much tougher to get drugs across international borders to patients without anyone noticing than it is to treat them at a gym in the Bay Area though.

7. Big Juan says:

PED News: The fart that keeps on lingering.

8. Reggie C. says:

Arod needs to find himself new help. Seriously. If your chiropractor is a partner in a company co-run by a doctor who’s in the pharma-drug smuggling business, then whoever suggested Lindsay as a viable choice should get a dropped from a high-story apt building.

9. Mike HC says:

Who really knows these days? I personally don’t care. The only thing I care about is that they allow Alex to continue playing. And he his still able to take whatever he has been on for his Yankee career (legal or illegal). This guy just has to stop getting caught!

10. Guest says:

Here’s some more background info via Chad Jennings at Lohud:

Apparently, Lindsay works with Phillibon (the famed surgeon worked on A-Rod’s hip) in addition to working with the sketchy Galea. Phillibon, with the Yankees permission, arranged for A-Rod to do some post surgery rehab work with Lindsay.

If this is all there is, then I don’t understand how the Yanks could be annoyed at A-Rod. He didn’t do anything other than do physical therapy with a doctor suggested by his surgeon and approved by the Yanks.

Now maybe there is something more, but based on the facts we have so far, this appears to be a non-story.

11. 5th Starter says:

No idea where I read it today, but I thought I had seen that he was being asked about SOMEONE ELSE involved. And that he said it wasn’t about him.

Did anyone else see this somewhere or know what I am talking about?

(Sorry about not having a source)

12. Cecala says:

What is an off season without an A-Rod scandal. What reporter will make the most out of this? Peter Abraham, Kruk, Peter Gammons, or the darkhorse, Scout X.

13. 5th Starter says:

Found it (duh on me)

ESPN: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/.....BHeadlines

“Rodriguez said Monday he was “aware” of the investigation and plans on cooperating with government officials. He said a date for an interview has not been set.

“…A-Rod said the probe won’t have an affect on him because ‘this is about someone else.’”

He said probe.

So maybe it has little to do with what they think AROD did and more about what he knows.

14. [...] coverage: The LoHud Yankees Blog, River Avenue Blues, Yahoo! Sports, NESN.com, Sliding Into Home, New Jersey Online and The iYankees [...]

15. Just want to say something. A la Deadspin, its time for the annual “ARod is a distraction” story. You know what I think about that?

BEST.

DISTRACTION.

EVER.

Seriously, that motherfucker can hit cleanup and distract the fuck out of my favorite team any day.

16. Tank the Frank says:

“This is about someone else, this is about someone else,” he replied in a reference to Galea. “Like I said, I’m going to cooperate the best I can and focus on baseball.”

Nope. Not according to the MSM. Selective hearing FTW.

17. mustang says:

“Call me naïve, but I can’t imagine A-Rod would have been foolish enough to get himself involved in another PED scandal since the last one broke a year ago.

I can he is that stupid.

18. Efresh says:

Come on Arod. This is just a side distraction. The season will soon kick off. We need you, not all this tabliod nonsense. You are the best player in the world. Stay away from the tabloid

19. [...] for A-Rod’s troublesome hip. The Yanks’ third baseman has already said he’ll cooperate with federal authorities, and I suspect this will get made into a bigger story than it really is. What else is new in the [...]