Mar

Chad Gaudin Released

According to The Star Ledger’s Marc Carig, Chad Gaudin has been released. He had been placed on waivers earlier this week. The Yanks only have to pay him 45 days of termination pay (approximately $737,500), so this absolves them of the bulk of Gaudin’s $2.95 million salary for 2010. They could always re-sign him to a minor league contract to keep him in the organization, but I don’t think it’ll be hard for him to find a big league job elsewhere. After all, there are teams out there seriously interested in Jarrod Washburn.

I’m really not sure I get this, Gaudin is a damn useful piece. I guess the team must really have faith in Sergio Mitre now that he’s further away from Tommy John surgery.

Categories : Asides, Transactions

1. theyankeewarrior says:

25-Man roster payroll under $200M????

I think this might have done it!

2. Sal says:

Around 700k for a months work, humm he made almost as much as me, rolling my eyes. Anyone know what the Redsox Payroll is this year? When I was in Boston for 3 months I kept hearing it was going to be close to 180 Million, but still keep seeing people reporting its 122 million.

3. Mike Pop says:

Hmmm, interesting move. Maybe to free up moneyto make a move in the IFA market?

• Reggie C. says:

Different budgets though, right? I think Joe’s take is solid, being Mitre’s command of his pitches must’ve tipped the balance in his favor. Not exactly sure how Gaudin would’ve fit in the ‘pen & 2.2 mil is an awful lot of money for a role Aceves can fill.

• Mike Pop says:

Yeah, different budgets is probably right. Didn’t think that out fully.

• Mister Delaware says:

Different budgets being created and eventually paid out by the same private entity. I imagine the Yanks shift money from expense pool to expense pool all the time (although I also imagine its usually into the 25 man roster pool rather than out).

Color me unhappy with this move.

• theyankeewarrior says:

Could be. Maybe Cashman thinks he can get someone better for a pro-rated salary of around 3M.

I see it this way: The Yankees don’t have any holes right now. If someone gets injured, they might, but they obviously don’t know which type of player will need yet. And because the Yankees have so many top-tier players, most of them can’t just be replaced by someone off the bench long term. So this is just another 2.3 million bucks the Yankees have to deal with at the deadline.

If Sherman is right, the Yankees just took Joba and Gaudin off their starting rotation depth chart with no backup plan but Mitre. Something smells fishy….

4. Slu says:

Is there any way to interpret this as a sign that Joba, if he is not the 5th starter, will not go to the pen? They did just lose some depth there, and it would be silly to “lose” another starter.

• Paul says:

I pray there’s something to this thought. The problem is: Who’s the 7th bullpen pitcher? Unless they think with all of the April off-days they don’t need that much depth?

• The Three Amigos says:

I think there is. You can make the argument that Girardi did not want 2 long relievers and Aceves, and instead wanted another short reliever, since Joba will start the year in AAA.

Leaving Mo, Drob, Marte, Park, Ace, Mitre and maybe a 2nd lefty to start the year.

• Paul says:

You may have just convinced me to come in from off the ledge. The second lefty makes a lot of sense, especially since Marte really hasn’t earned trust over a big sample.

Joba should get a full year as a starter. He never has. I hope he does. Let him beat up on AAA hitter like Hughes did for two solid years.

• Jamal G. says:

I am in favor of Phil Hughes starting because I think it puts the organization in the best possible situation regarding he and Joba Chamberlain starting in 2011. However, I would be more than ecstatic if the Yankees utilized the latter such as the White Sox did with D.J. Carrasco – just with some spot starts sprinkled in to give Hughes and Andy Pettitte some rest.

5. Paul says:

Damn, with Melancon getting sent down, that means one of Hughes or Joba is going to the pen. If it’s Joba, I’m going to collect a big box of dogshit to send to Cashman.

15 career minor league starts for Joba and all at the age of 21 and he still became league average….

• Accent Shallow says:

Hughes or Joba in the pen isn’t the end of the world, assuming that pitcher is going to work multiple innings, rather than pitch the 8th 2-3 times a week.

I don’t think we’ll see one in AAA unless he’s getting smacked around. (Although they can’t demote Hughes after the end of April, so maybe he does start in Scranton.)

• Paul says:

I wish that were a possibility. But Mo in 96 still only got 100 innings. Hughes needs 160. And Joba has no limit. They both need to be starters.

• Accent Shallow says:

I’m not saying that they should get 120+ innings in the pen (obviously that’s not happening in this era), just that they should stay stretched out, enough to step into the rotation or make the occasional spot start.

• OldYanksFan says:

Really…. why can’t Joba pitch the 6,7 and 8th some games… and the 7th and 8th some games? Long relief? Whatever EXCEPT a 1 inning ‘specialist’.

• Bo says:

I’m sure u will be rethinking this if hes a shutdown reliever like we all expect and the pen is rock solid all yr.

6. Drew says:

I love the Serg so I like this move. I do wonder though, if Chad and Serg had the same salary, who would get the boot?

Personally, I think it would be the same.

7. Accent Shallow says:

$3M may be too much for Gaudin, but I’d rather have him than Chan Ho Park. I’d also rather release Igawa and keep Gaudin, if they could have stashed Gaudin in Scranton.

• Bo says:

Park is a much better late inning set up man than Gaudin. Gaudin is a back end starter at best.

• Accent Shallow says:

I’d rather have Park setting up than Gaudin, since Gaudin can’t get lefties out, but I have more faith in Gaudin being a reliable back-end starter/long man than I do in Park being a reliable setup man.

But that’s another conversation altogether.

8. Bo says:

Washburn was having a good season til he hurt his knee. And hes lefty and has a good track record. Whys it surprising that team are looking into him? You can never have enough SP

9. ledavidisrael says:

S-M-H

10. Rose says:

Gaudin was far more reliable than Sergio Mitre and worth the extra money to keep him around. I don’t really get the move…but I guess if you have a guy like Aceves in the bullpen who is basically Chad Gaudin 2.0, then it makes it a little easier to make your decision.

While I don’t really agree with it…it’s not the worst thing that could have happened.

Rating of move: 4/10
    Impact on the team: 1/10
    Impact on me personally: 0/10

• Accent Shallow says:

How would the impact on you personally be anything other than 0/10, unless you actually are Chad Gaudin?

If the Yankees DFA Jeter, Cano, and Sabathia tomorrow, my life is unaffected.

• A.D. says:

If the Yankees DFA Jeter, Cano, and Sabathia tomorrow, my life is unaffected.

Well as a ticket holder, my tickets would have just gotten a whole lot less valuable, and that would effect me.

• KayGee says:

As a fan of the team, which is a pretty big part of my life during baseball season, the decline in team performance coupled with the loss of 3 of my favorite players would affect my life.

• Rose says:

Exactly. There are a lot of ways that certain moves would affect you personally.

My friends and I were drunkingly talking about this example the other day. Andrew Wood, who was the young lead singer of the band known as Mother Love Bone died at a young age in 1990. The rest of Mother Love Bone would find another young man by the name of Eddie Vedder to join their band. They eventually called in Pearl Jam. I’m a huge Pearl Jam fan but my friends are even more so. Seen SEVERAL shows and listen to their music for years…had conversations about them…appreciated their lyrics, and it actually brought us closer as friends as we’ve went together and stuff. We just talked about how Andrew Wood’s death, a guy we know nothing about, had an affect on our lives in some way and how we would probably be entirely different had this man survived and Pearl Jam never been. Now for somebody who isn’t a Pearl Jam fan or have a similar story…he’s meaningless. But other weird random people can have some sort of an affect on your life in some way or another.

11. Ansky says:

Totally confused by this move.

12. AndrewYF says:

Girardi loves him some Meat-tray.

13. Steve H says:

So there must have been zero trade market for him.

It’s a head scratcher for sure.

14. paul says:

I liked what Gaudin brought to the table as a reliever. Curious to see how it all plays out.

15. James says:

I don’t get it. Even at the difference in money. Gaudin’s proven track record as a viable starter and reliever in the American League should far outweigh what Mitre could, perhaps, maybe, possibly become post tommy john surgery.