Mar

Open Thread: My RAB Fantasy Baseball League Team

We held the draft for our massive 20 team fantasy baseball league last night, which took us about three and half hours to complete. The turnout was very good, at one point I believe we had 19 of the 20 owners present. If you’re wondering what the first three rounds of a 20 team league look like, then click here. I had the second overall pick, meaning the wait between picks was either really short or unbearably long. Here’s my team, position by position…

C: John Baker (17th round, 322nd overall)
1B: Todd Helton (9, 162)
2B: Robbie Cano (3, 42)
SS: Hanley Ramirez (1, 2)
3B: Casey Blake (8, 159)
OF: Jayson Werth (2, 39)
OF: Carlos Gonzalez (6, 119)
OF: Brad Hawpe (7, 122)
UTIL: David Ortiz (10, 199)

SP: Wandy Rodriguez (4, 79)
SP: Cole Hamels (5, 82)
RP: C.J. Wilson (19, 362)
RP:
P: Ben Sheets (11, 202)
P: Brian Matusz (13, 242)
P: Dallas Braden (16, 319)

Bench: Jhonny Peralta (12, 239)
Bench: Carlos Santana (14, 279)
Bench: Josh Willingham (15, 282)
Bench: Edinson Volquez (18, 359)
Bench: Matt Diaz (20, 399)
Bench: Ronnie Belliard (21, 402)
Bench: Jonathan Niese (22, 439)

Obviously, I completely punted the saves category. I figured I was better off grabbing as many starters as possible since they’re much tougher to come by mid-season. Volquez was a straight DL stash with an eye towards midseason. I already slid him into a DL spot and grabbed Luke Gregerson for that empty RP spot. I was hoping to do the same with Erik Bedard, but he went before I got the chance. Santana is another guy I’m stashing on bench, hoping the Indians call up the game’s 10th best prospect sooner rather than later.

Our league counts OBP (and quality starts), so the Helton, Werth, Hawpe and (to a lesser extent) Blake picks are really going to help there. Ortiz was toiling away in the 10th round, and there was really no one else on the board with a realistic chance of 30-100, so I took the bait. Even if he gives me 20-80, I can’t complain. Hopefully Gonzalez’s second half breakout (.320-.384-.608, 12 HR, 11 SB in his last 62 games) is a sign of things to come, and maybe Belliard beats out Blake Dewitt for the Dodgers second base job. He, along with Peralta have multi-position eligibility all over the infield. Diaz could be useful if I’m smart and only play him against lefties, who he annihilates.

I thought my Wandy and Hamels picks were sneaky good in the 4th and 5th rounds of a league that deep. Wandy is on par fantasy-wise with Johan Santana, who went 25 picks earlier. Hamels’ peripherals in 2009 were nearly identical to what they were in 2008, yet his ERA was more than a full run higher, so I’m hopefully that corrects itself. Sheets was a total roll of the dice, but I figured his upside was worth a shot in the 11th round when guys like Kevin Correia and Kevin Slowey and Randy Wells went one round earlier. The idea of a rookie starter in the AL East scares me, but Matusz isn’t like most rookies. Braden, Wilson, and Niese … let’s see what you got.

The one guy I was really hoping to get with my second pick was Ben Zobrist because a) he can rake, and b) he was eligible at the two middle infield spots plus the outfield, and I heart flexibility. He went with the last pick of the first round, so I didn’t even had a chance to get my hopes up. Part of me wishes I took CC Sabathia over Cano in the third round, but the second base market was pretty shallow, and I’m hopefully Robbie breaks out in the fifth spot this year.

Once you’re done laughing at my team, go ahead and use this as your open thread. The Devils are the only local team in action tonight, but there’s a new episode of 24 on, and in case you haven’t heard, this will be the final season because the show’s been canceled. It sure was fun while it lasted…

1. bexarama says:

Not involved with the fantasy draft, but this was pretty cool:

2. JackISBACK says:

I like your offense, but man your pitching blows. You have 2 SPs, and an injury risk Sheets. I know its a big league, but I think you should’ve left someone like Peralta off and gone for pitching instead because Peralta @ 3B is not that great value, and you have Hanley for SS anyway.

• Tseng says:

Mauer went 3rd? Dang, I snagged him with the 10th pick yesterday. Also think David Wright went way too high.

Agree with Jack re: pitching. I like Wandy and I’m iffy on Cole though I think he’ll do better this year. The rest of your pitching is a big ?

• andrew says:

If you could see the pitching from the rest of the league, Wandy and Hamels is probably one of the better 1/2 punches out there. My pitching staff is a lot of question marks as well:

Wainright
        Burnett
        Lilly
        Ohlendorf
        Duke
        Matt Palmer
        Snell
        Robinson Tejada

• 28 next year says:

Mine is pretty good at the top and alright as you go down.

Verlander
          Josh Johnson
          Mike Gonzalez
          Scott Downs
          Joel Pineiro
          Ian Kennedy
          C.J. Wilson

with Betancourt, Braden, League, and Zito

• Tseng says:

I’m a fan of Lilly and Ohlendorf.

• chriskeo says:

I decided to take a huge risk there, hoping it will pay off, we will see.

3. Jake H says:

I think I would be better at fantasy baseball now. I won the first year I did it 5 years ago then got bored with it so I stopped for a few years.

4. AFSH says:

Hey Guys, I want your thoughts for my fantasy team (we had the draft yesterday); it’s a H2H league, with 12 teams, AL only with the following categories: R, RBI, SB, TB, AVG, OBP, IP, W, SV, K, ERA and WHIP.
    C – A.J. Pierzynski
    1B – Justin Morneau
    2B – Maicer Izturis
    3B – Álex Rodríguez
    SS – Alexei Ramírez
    OF – Curtis Granderson
    OF – Denard Span
    OF – Juan Rivera
    Util – J.D. Drew

SP Félix Hernández
    SP Jon Lester
    SP John Lackey
    RP Kerry Wood (with the idea of putting him on the DL and grabbing another RP for the moment)
    RP Fernando Rodney
    RP Jim Johnson
    P Hideki Okajima
    BN David Price
    BN Mark Buehrle
    BN Nick Blackburn
    BN Justin Masterson
    BN Brad Bergesen
    BN Dallas Braden

5. chriskeo says:

Your Welcome,
    Jersey Crushers ;)

• andrew says:

Yea, but who got Jason Hirsch?

Sincerely,
      The Joba Rules (probably need to change the name now that it’s a sore subject for me to think about)

6. T-Dubs says:

R. Garko
    F. Sanchez
    D. Jennings

K. Drabek
    E. Volquez (DL)

7. Brad Toughy says:

I agree with the consensus. Hitting’s impressive and the pitching’s a little meh. Opposite of my team in “River Ave. Blues – The 4th” Carlos Gonzalez was a guy I was prepped to pick and then he went 2 picks before I was going to take him. Dat’s da breaks, I guess!

My team could be named “Adrian Gonzalez and stud pitchers” I’ve got Josh Johnson, Adam Wainwright and Felix Hernandez fronting my staff, although I’m trying to find a partner to swap one of those in a package for an elite hitter. So far, no takers yet. Most of our league is weak on pitching so I can probably find a deal that works for both of us.

8. al says:

Please stop with all the posts about fantasy. First rule about fantasy sports: NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR FANTASY TEAM.

9. Steve H says:

You can’t have John Baker without Frank Poncherello.

10. 28 next year says:

BN: Rafael Betancourt
    BN: Ian Desmond
    BN: Dallas Braden
    BN: Brandon League
    BN: Barry Zito
    BN: Lyle Overbay

My first time so I just gave it my all. The relief pitchers were picked late. Any suggestions? BTW: I was offered Brian Roberts for Matt Holliday, didn’t think that it was good, any opinions.

• T-Dubs says:

I like this team actually. I wouldn’t do that trade though.

• Brad Toughy says:

I like the team too. Pitching heavy, so yeah, I’d have turned down the trade that would have left you without a sure power guy.

I like the Ian Kennedy pick, but I’d guess most guys on this site would. Overall, your team is like mine (coincidentally I had the 20th pick too) in that we’re both got serious front-end pitching studs, one banger on offense and then a bunch of guys who probably will middle-of-the-pack you.

• 28 next year says:

Johnson and Verlander were the top guys available so I went with them, overall, I think my team compares favorably. Ian Kennedy was available late being the third starter, I figured he would get a lot of opportunities and in the NL West, he should be decent.

11. danny says:

crap!
    Teix just got nailed on the elbow and is coming out of them game.

12. Salty Buggah says:

P Brian Matusz

BN Wade Davis
    BN Aroldis Chapman
    BN Chris Young
    BN Chad Gaudin
    BN Brad Penny

Due to my embarrassment of riches in my pitching, I am currently shopping Brad Penny for a Smoak-type bat.

• 28 next year says:

strong team, was this really in the RAB leagues?

• Brad Toughy says:

That team lines up to about what the teams in our league look like.

• Spaceman.Spiff says:

I do like that I have 3 closers, in a 20-team league I should clean up in that category unless my guys get injured (which is not beyond reason). I could even consider a trade later in the season and probably get more than what I paid for them. I got Cliff Lee pretty late I thought and I’m really high on Nolasco so my one-two punch is okay I think. My starters have some upside beyond them too I’d say. If Sheets can thrive in the Coliseum, he has upside and I got him late so I’m not complaining.

14. bexarama says:

oh crap on LoHud they’re acting like Tex is seriously injured, should I get nervous or is it just LoHud bein’ LoHud?

• Brad Toughy says:

Is it LoHud the authors, or LoHud the commenters?

If it’s in the comments, I’d ignore it. But getting hit on the elbow, especially if it got all bone, is never great.

• Jose says:

Based on the response on LoHud I think Tex may be dead. They’ll probably get X-rays and see what that shows.

• danny says:

eh, i think they are getting that from his reaction, by that it alone it looked like it could be serious. But those crazy lohudians have to remember he got hit on the elbow, I’d like to know how they would want him to react.

all in all, just stay away from the comments section and hope for a bad bruise.

15. Phil says:

Bench: Mike Lowell
    Bench: Gerardo Perra
    Bench: Randy Winn
    Bench: Cristian Guzman
    Bench: Darren O’Day
    Bench: Jeremy Affeldt

My interweb died around 2/3 of the way through, and I’d liked to have gotten another starter instead of even more relievers. I did not punt saves.

• Brad Toughy says:

I don’t think punting saves is all that great an idea, especially in a deep league. If you can grab two closers in the middle rounds (10-15) you can give yourself a step up on most everyone else on saves.

There’s more league-average bats to go around than there are closers, or at least that’s the way I looked at it. I got Aardsma and Ryan Franklin in rounds 11&12 and still filled in the rest of my roster about as good as Mike seems to have.

You’ve got two stud front guys for your staff, a slugger in your lineup and still managed to grab about 65-75 saves and the potential for more if certain closers go down.

16. Jack says:

Lanny’s gonna be pissed when he sees this thread.

17. billbybob says:

Anyone read the Dan Shaughnessy piece on Tim Duncan over at Si.com? It is truly incomprehensible. First, he suggests that Duncan is not one of the ten greatest players of all time; he lists off a multidude of players that he thinks are better than Duncan. Fittingly, he provides no evidence as to why any of these players are better. Then, Shaughnessy points out how Duncan has some of the greatest statistics of any big man ever. Ugh Dan, if you are trying to prove that Tim doesn’t belong in the top ten, I would throw in evidence the refutes your point. He ends by further muddling his original point with some more pro-Duncan top ten all time crap. Sorry for the rant, but it was just a poorly argued and organized article. No suprise, given that it was Dan freakin’ Shaughnessy writing.

18. JobaWockeeZ says:

Well here’s my team in the second league. I got the 12th pick.

C: Joe Mauer

Bench: Ben Francisco
    Bench: Pedro Feliz
    Bench: Jeremy Hermdia
    Bench: Cristian Guzman
    Bench: Phil Coke
    Bench: Jeremy Affeldt

19. I can only hope the last episode of 24 is better than the last Sopranos.

20. Rey22 says:

Wow, some writer at MLB.com has the Orioles finishing above the Rays in the AL East this year, along with this hilarious quote:

“But Victor Martinez doesn’t give the Red Sox the presence behind the plate that Jason Varitek did.”

I wish I could get paid for writing stupid nonsense. It would make my life so much easier.

http://tiny.cc/6as20 (SFW)

21. king of fruitless hypotheticals says:

sixth pick first round, picked utley over cano.

I feel like I’m cheating on my wife…I should have just picked all Yankees…not matter what I will NOT pick a red sock!

• Tseng says:

Not by design, but I didn’t get any Yankees this year. This could be a good thing, because Yankees I get typically have down years.

I don’t mind picking Sox players though…. in it to win it.

• Alex S says:

some guy in one of my leagues is called “BX Ruff Ryders” he drafted just about every yankee. off the top of my head – Tex, Cano, NJ, Pettite, Joba, Granderson, etc. the dude will come in last place

22. danny says:

WTF now guthrie just hit Cervelli on the arm, just barely missed his wrist.

23. bexarama says:

My mom just yelled “OH MY GOD TEIXEIRA BROKE HIS LEG!!!!” then burst out laughing.

Do I have permission to kill her, guys?

24. Dirty Pena says:

Charlies Hayes Mays of The Premier League:

C: Matt Wieters
    1B: Miguel Cabrera
    2B: Gordon Beckham (soon enough)
    3B: Edwin Encarnacion

P: Brad Lidge
    P: Brett Myers
    BN: Stephen Strasburg
    BN: Chris Tillman
    BN: Fernando Rodney

25. king of fruitless hypotheticals says:

lance berkman or derrek lee?

26. JobaWockeeZ says:

Don’t know if this has been posted but here’s a Cash interview with Kay about Joba.

27. Jose says:

Sweeny: “Teixeira diagnosed with R elbow contusion (or a bruise). No xrays were taken. Will see how he is tomorrow for further evaluation.”

28. Drew says:

MASN just said, right elbow contusion, no x rays taken.

Good news.

29. Drew says:

Wow, Jones just murdered a Javy hanger.

30. Accent Shallow says:

Lost in all the B-Jobber hullabaloo is the Youkilis issue:

As a reliever, Joba will have less opportunities to throw at Youk, but he’ll likely be throwing harder out of the pen. Which is more desirable for maximum headhunting efficiency?

31. JobaWockeeZ says:

How does the submit a tip thing work? Do you use your e-mail or the RABbi’s?

32. The Sheepmeister says:

I had the 5th pick in the 7th tier draft.

C: Ryan Doumit
    1B: Pablo Sandaval (with 3B eligibility)
    2B: Chase Utley

BN: Aaron Rowand
    BN: Ryan Church
    BN: Garrett Atkins
    BN: Ross Ohlendorf
    BN: Brad Penny
    BN: Jon Rauch

I was stoked to get Utley with the 5th pick.

33. Mike Pop says:

Keeper league – categories are R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS, IP, W, CG, S, K, ERA, WHIP.

C- Kurt Suzuki

P – Phil Hughes
    P – Heath Bell
    P – Huston Street
    P – Matt Garza
    P – Matt Thornton
    P – Joakim Soria

Bench – Sheets, Danks, and Jonathan Sanchez.

Pitching is real weak, but I picked up a leftover team and we could only keep 10 players from the previous year.

Judge me!

34. Cecala says:

How are Hot Pockets even legal? I tried one and now I feel like I have one of those aliens trying to rip through my stomach.

35. iYankees says:

I think the emphasis on starters in these particular leagues is overblown. With no substantial innings limit, you can just pick up average starters, which are VERY easy to find at the backend of the draft and throughout the year. Get 6 of them, maybe more. Then you can use them to take strikeouts, wins, plus quality starts. It’s a pretty sound strategy (and if you loaded up on relievers rather than starters, you’ll have taken saves). I didn’t pick up a pitcher starter until the 13th round.

My team:

P: Octavio Dotel
    P: Matt Lindstrom

BN: Carl Pavano
    BN: Chris Young
    BN: Gio Gonzalez
    BN: Jeff Francis

I need more speed, but beyond that I’m pretty pleased for a 20-teamer.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

I’m against you first game! Good luck!

• Tseng says:

Interesting strategy. I’ll have to see if it works. Which league are you in?

• Brad Toughy says:

Interesting strategy, but by collecting late-round pitchers, you leave yourself short on ERA and WHIP.

49.8% of all starts last year were QS, so it seems you’re right in believing you can find them late. But the teams with good front-end starting can find those guys too.

• andrew says:

I employed a similar strategy last year in the RAB league (although not as drastic), and finished 8th. I never won ERA or WHIP, but it allowed me to be it allowed me to be above average in the rest of the categories.

• iYankees says:

Yea, I figure ERA and WHIP are often crapshoots, though. Employing 4 relievers helps lower ERA and WHIP, as well. I’m pretty much sacrificing the two cats, but if I have one pitcher toss 7 strong innings in a week I may not even use any other starters in an attempt to win saves, WHIP, and ERA, rather than K, QS, and wins.

36. bonestock94 says:

Drop jake fox for gaby sanchez!?

37. Steve H says:

Johnny Damon has fun playing baseball, and believe it or not, that seemingly constant smile is a big part of why he has won so much during his career.

-Jayson Stark

38. Evilest Empire says:

I enjoyed the draft last night so much, I’m going to post my team again! …in link form

I’ve since gotten rid of Francisco Cervelli and Kaz Matsui, and picked up Fausto Carmona and Matt Lindstrom. If Carmona has really put it all together again than its a nice pick up and if he doesn’t, no harm done. I picked up Lindstrom because after I drafted Brandon Lyons I realized he wasn’t definitely the closer (thanks Optimist), so those two got handcuffs. God help me, I WILL pick up Houston’s saves.

I’m severely lacking in offensive depth so I’m working on a couple trades to balance that out.

39. Since we’re posting our teams on here (and I didn’t get any feedback last night ;(), I’ll do mine today (btw, 1st overall pick in the Premier League):

1. (1) Albert Pujols 1B
    15. (281) Mat Latos SP
    16. (320) Matt Lindstrom RP
    17. (321) Jeff Clement C
    18. (360) David Freese 3B
    19. (361) Troy Glaus Util
    20. (400) Bud Norris SP
    21. (401) Tyler Clippard RP (dropped for Colby Lewis SP/RP)
    22. (440) Ty Wigginton 1B,3B

40. donttradecano says:

school does scarface play:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....r_embedded (SFW)

41. Reggie C. says:

DERON WILLIAMS IS A MONSTER!

Jazz simply hitting everything. Knicks about to get shot out the building.

42. donttradecano says:

If Mcnabb goes to the eagles it makes the NFC East a lot easier for the Cowboys and Giants.

43. bexarama says:

heh I’m watching Rays/Red Sox on MLB Network and David Ortiz just hit a ball and the crowd went insane… warning track flyout.

44. Reggie C. says:

Tonight’s 24 episode is damn good.

45. Brendan says:

I have to ask, what’s the deal with Melvin Croussett? Is he ever coming stateside? I know there is a lot of hyperbole around him but was he ever considered a legit prospect or did I just miss out on the beginning of a meme?

46. Isn’t Volquez out for the year?

47. bexarama says:

Yankees won the ST game 11-7. Not that it matters but woo.

48. Cecala says:

I am super duper mad that the Nets got the 10th win to not be the worst team in basketball history! I would have went to their games at the Atlantic Yards since its right by my college, but now I don’t know because who wants to see the second worst. Go Big or Go Home!

49. Ayer says:

What do you think of my team?

C Joe Mauer, Min C, DH

P Tim Hudson, Atl SP
    P Rafael Soriano, TB RP
    P Bobby Jenks, CWS RP
    P Brian Matusz, Bal SP
    Bench Jason Frasor, Tor RP

50. Russell210 says:

24 is my favorite show on TV and has been for the past few years. Very sad to see it go. Bauer is very relate-able and it will be sad to lose him =(