Apr

Open Thread: Goin’ goin’, back back, to Cali Cali

Gaudin's got a 1.43 xFIP and a 16.88 K/9 in 2010. (Photo Credit: Jeff Chiu, AP)

I’m pretty sure I’ve used that post title before, but so be it.

The Yankees are probably already in the Bay Area in advance of their series against old buddy Chad Gaudin and the A’s, otherwise they’re probably en route. I wonder if they’ll present Gaudin with this World Series ring there, or if he’ll have to wait for the Fed-Ex guy. I’d like to see Joe Girardi & Co. hand it off, would be a nice thing to do.

Anyway, here’s the open thread for the night. There’s NBA and NHL playoff action, and the Cubs are visiting Ike Davis and the Mets. Talk about whatever you want, but enjoy.

Categories : Open Thread

1. More trivia:

It’s early, but the Yanks are on pace to win 122 games.

CC Sabathia has a WHIP of 0.737 (even Mo isn’t that good), and neither CC, AJ nor Andy has an ERA over 3.00 (in fact, Andy doesn’t even have an ERA over 2.00).

And Jesus Montero homered today.

It’s good to be a Yankee fan.

2. bexarama says:

so… what’s with this PED suspension by someone on some team somewhere?

Ike Davis’ nose puts Pettitte’s to shame. Wow.

3. JobaWockeeZ says:

Montero got his first homer? Awesome. He’s starting to heat up.

4. 24fan says:

How bout those sox?

5. Salty Buggah says:

I’m kinda excited to see Ike Davis tonight, though it’s unfortunate how a lot of people are placing many high expectations on him.

Imagine when Jesus comes up

• Salty Buggah says:

I guess it depends on the situation in which he is called up. Davis is being called up for desperation. Hopefully, Jesus’s promotion is not in the same situation.

• Hughesus Christo says:

Aren’t people overstating it a bit? I know he has a limited number of ABs in the upper levels of their system, but it’s not like he came out of high school 3 months ago. He’s 23, spent 3 years in college, mashed in MLB ST, etc.

I love to bash the Mets, but I want to be fair about it (occasionally)

• Salty Buggah says:

Oh no doubt. He’s good but not that good. Mets fans and the media are making him out to be a savior.

Btw, I’m not trying to bash the Mets, just feeling a bit sorry for Davis.

• steve says:

ASU ! ASU ! ASU ! ASU !

6. ultimate913 says:

You forgot to mention a new episode of 24 on FOX today, Mike.

7. JobaWockeeZ says:

Austin Jackson: The Yankees did a great job of hyping the power-challenged Jackson, who tailed off badly the last six weeks of his first season at Triple-A last year, and now the Tigers are force-feeding him as the popular Granderson’s center field replacement and their everyday No. 2 hitter behind Damon.

At this point I wouldn’t be surprised if we traded Jesus. We’ll keep him so Baseball America can say good stuff about his bat so we can get someone else instead. I hope it won’t happen because I will be deeply saddened.

8. Drew says:

Poor Ike Davis. He’s going to get killed if he doesn’t produce immediately. Or even worse, if he comes out of the gate hot, then tapers off as pitchers make adjustments.

9. bexarama says:

Xavier Nady is batting… cleanup…….???

• JGS says:

Yea, that’s a headscratcher. Then again, the Mets had Catalanotto there last night

• YankeesJunkie says:

The Cubs must be trying to show how pathetic of an offense they have if they have Nady batting cleanup. Nady has never been a regular player and was not one for the Yankees last year when he was healthy.

10. Jose says:

Congrats Mike on the Rotographs position. I also heard you on a Fangraphs podcast.

11. JobaWockeeZ says:

So is Live Tracker on Yahoo fantasy baseball free this year? I don’t remember it being this long with it.

• YankeesJunkie says:

Yes, it is pretty nice, but even if you don’t have the live tracker the other one updates right away when you refresh it.

12. Drew says:

The Cubbies have some of the worst contracts in baseball.

13. E Street Shuffle says:

so supposedly the rangers signed MZA. Me likey. Hopefully hopefully we now have a ranger that can put up points not named Gaborik

14. paK_ says:

NO GAME TONIGHT?

*RIPS OUT ALL MY HAIRS*

• YankeesJunkie says:

At least the next two out three series are against teams that are not real playoff contenders. The main thing I am looking forward to see is can Vazquez bounce back after two poor starts and have two good ones versus the A’s and Angels.

• paK_ says:

Talkin bout MAriano in the 9thh
        Javy gettiin winss
        Granderson hittin leftiess
        and above all Nick Johnson gettin hitss

I shall write a song:)

15. JGS says:

I can’t watch the Mets, but from listening to the Fan, how did he not get to third on that?

• YankeesJunkie says:

Soriano did not hustle at all after the ball was hit, he thought he had hit a homer. He should have easily been at third since it took forever for that ball to come down right in front of the 415 sign.

• Brad Toughy says:

Did a home run hop, watched it for a few jog-steps. He basically Sorianoed down the line.

16. Salty Buggah says:

Hah, Soriano pulled a hypothetical Cano. He went lazily into 2nd after thinking he hit a HR. (Cano got accused of being lazy even though he really wasn’t)

17. W.W.J.M.D. says:

Can anyone tell me why the Mets and Cubs are wearing the #42 jerseys?

18. nc yankee fan says:

I wonder what the twist in this week’s 24 will be.
    Ike Davis will help the Mets but they need Bay to heat up, and at least 3 starters to start to pitch well, or they will be battling the Nats come September for last place.

19. Hangoverologist says:

Heh, Ike Davis hit a little bloop over Jeff Baker’s head.

20. AndrewYF says:

Poor Ike Davis. He has a good chance to be an above-average first baseman, but he has nowhere near the talent level to be the next Reyes or Wright, which I think some Mets fans are expecting him to be.

But good for him and the Mets on his first major league hit.

21. Salty Buggah says:

A single in his 1st AB. Weak.

/Kidding

22. nc yankee fan says:

Barajas makes Jorge look like Gardner!

23. baravelli says:

Even if the Mets were on the road for Jackie Robinson day, didn’t they still get to wear #42 jerseys, because every player on every team did on that day? Is it really just that they wanted to do it with their home jerseys? And how did they also get the Cubs to go along with it and also wear all #42s? Seems strange to me.

24. 28 next year says:

so today, I had someone trying to convince me that Jonathan Niese is far better than AJ Burnett and that The Mets actually have a rotation that is comparable even superior to that of the Yankees. FACEPALM!

• Crunchy Frog says:

That’s not even a facepalm. That’s a serious condition that should be treated by a psychological professional.

• 28 next year says:

he argued that while Burnett throws harder, he throws too many clunkers, led the league in walks adn wild pitches and is really inconsistent.

He then said Niese is far more consistent to which I replied yes, consistently bad.

• bexarama says:

oh wow. What were his full comments? I’m so excited to hear this.

• 28 next year says:

that was the jist of it along with him calling me stupid. He said Burnett was no better than a #3 and later admitted that Niese was the #4 on the Mets team which led him to conclude that the Mets rotation is better than the Yanks. He then said wait till Maine heats up cause he is just a tick below CC and that Vazquez sucks cause he can’t win in NY, Pettitte is old, Hughes is unproven, yadda yadda at which point I dropped the argument with the hope professionals can take on the case.

• paK_ says:

*Brings out the pitch forks and the popcorn*

• 28 next year says:

oh and he added how overpaid Burnett was which ehh, I think if Burnett can remain relatively injury free, he is worth teh contract.

Also, I was saying how the Mets wasted money on Bay and needed more help than that to which he replied, there was no one on the FA market worth the money to which I obviously said Bay wasn’t worth the money. He said Minaya is just saving money but I said he is trying to save his own ass. The kid said that Minaya is an above average GM.

This is junior in high school so he shouldn’t be so stupid.

• Zack says:

Why even take part in that dicussion? Discussion can be meaningful when it’s actually based on logic. If someone is just an idiot dont even waste your time.

• 28 next year says:

its tough when ur at tennis practice and the kid is on the court next to you. I could hear everything he says so it is hard to restrain myself. BTW, he sucks at tennis but we only have so many people who play tennis.

25. Crunchy Frog says:

I’ll be at the Hughes – Sheets matchup on Wednesday night. Seats first row behind the Yankees dugout. $175 a pop. How much would that run me at YSIII? I’ll be sporting my vintage Columbus Clippers hat. Anyone need anything while I’m there??

26. 28 next year says:

Anyone know how long it takes for a player to be added to fantasy like Davis?

27. bexarama says:

lolololol @ that called strike 3 on Lee I can’t stop laughing

28. Ojas says:

Apparently Jesus had his 2nd error (catcher’s interference) and 2nd passed ball of the season in today’s game…I’m guessing scouts would pick this game as proof of the accuracy of their reports: 2-4, HR, 1B, 1 RBI, 1 error, 1 PB

screw it, I’m an optimist — he’s still learning how to catch but that kid can hit, period

29. Ojas says:

Recently read the post on the upcoming MLB draft. I’m hoping we go after a pitcher or a shortstop. Preferably pitcher.

30. Yankeefan91 Arod fan says:

Does anyone know at what time does the game start Sunday, Jun 20, 2010 because i just got order sum tickets but it says tba.

• Ojas says:

Yeah, I just checked yankees.com and it say’s TBD, too. However, I’d be willing to bet that it’ll be an 8:00 ESPN game. Subway Series, Sunday, mid-June, at the Stadium sounds like exactly the kind of game ESPN would want to broadcast as its “Game of the Week.”

Though I wonder what our and their respective records will be by that time…

At any rate, I’d pencil in 8:00 because we’ll be facing the Mets.

31. dark side of the goon says:

Lifelong Yankee fan here and general optimist when it comes to the Bombers. My team, good bad or indifferent.

The early talk of this team is a little disconcerting to me. Comparisons to 98 team…on pace to win 120.

By April’s performance last year and 0-8 start against the Sux, we could predict nothing of what was to come.

I LOVE my team winning early and often but when we start off slow we say we play 162 games. I think we need to remember that now as well. Enjoy the wins; agree this is a great team but know the season is long and a lot of times crazy unpredictable.

• “I LOVE my team winning early and often but when we start off slow we say we play 162 games. I think we need to remember that now as well.”

While I totally agree with your general sentiment that it’s early and there is a long road ahead for this team, this isn’t really the same situation as telling people not to panic when the team gets off to a slow start. A good team starting slowly is an anomaly, but a good team starting well isn’t.

We still need to keep things in perspective, but there’s nothing wrong with being excited about this start. Getting excited about this start is not equivalent to panicking about a bad start just because both occur early in the season.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Well it’s bound to happen. And the thing is that the power hitters of the team aren’t mashing the ball yet. The Yankees beat the Red Sox, Rays, Angels and Rangers when key players didn’t perform as they normally would. By the time they heat up the team will be unstoppable.

A-Rod is gonna heat up a little. Teix will heat up a lot. Javy will be back to himself sooner or later. Nick Johnson despite his wonderful .400 OBP is hitting .100 and will improve. There is a lot to like about this current team.

• mbonzo says:

120 wins are you crazy!?

159 wins assuming Girardi didn’t play the 3 loses under protest.

• I don’t think anyone here is denying the Yankees will run into problems; we’re simply enjoying the start while it lasts.

32. Hey ZZ says:

Is that Shawn Green playing 1B for the Mets?

33. Steve H says:

I think Ike Davis just might make Simmons’ Reggie Cleveland All-Stars.

34. bexarama says:

Cubs offense looks awful.

35. UWS says:

Nice little Houdini act by Niese. But the Cubs look terrible.

36. First Time Poster/Long Time Lurker says:

Morrow tossing a no-no through.. n/m

• Thomas says:

You jinxed it! Good job!

/Sarcastic Sarcasm

• First Time Poster/Long Time Lurker says:

haha. When I was watching the CC no-hit bid, my buddy came up who was semi-aware what was going on. As soon as he came in the room I told him “don’t mention what is happening”. He than replied: “What, do you mean the no hitter?” Shoppach immediately hits single… I hate friend.

• Thomas says:

Last year, I walked in the room during like 3 no-no having not watched any of the game and they were broken up within the inning. It was Burnett’s vs. Tampa Bay, Wakefield vs. Oakland (perfect game), and I think there was another but I can’t remember (it was only through 5 or 6 though).

37. Steve H says:

So on the radio tonight I heard, in a discussion about the Red Sox offense (from a host) well we have J.D. Drew’s one good month to look forward to, likely June, and mediocrity from him other than that.

J.D. Drew’s career OPS by month

March/April .855
    May .869
    June .975
    July .861
    August .840
    Sept/Oct .951

Ok, so Drew clearly crushes in June (and September….clutch!!!), but to call the rest of that mediocrity is insane. I’d call that consistently producing, which leads to the underrating Drew, because he just gets the job done all year, instead of being streaky.

• bexarama says:

I really don’t understand Sox fans’ hatred of Drew at all. Seriously, OPS+es over .850, which he has all but one month (and he’s only .010 away in that month) are damn good.

• Thomas says:

All while being an above average defensive OF, but then again Sox fans are stupid.

• I have a feeling we overrate Sox fans’ hatred of Drew. I bet it’s like the Yankees fans who boo Vazquez or who boo’d Nick Johnson on Sunday – definitely a portion of the fanbase, but, frankly, just the dumb portion of the fanbase. I bet there are plenty of Sox fans who appreciate Drew’s performance. I don’t think it would be much different if he played here.

• Steve H says:

Noooooo.

Believe me, I have a ton of friends who are Sox fans, and I don’t know one who likes him. I can, at times, convince my dad about what a truly good player he is…..but he still doesn’t like him.

• Like Yankees fans with A-Rod?

I get that a lot of Sox fans don’t like Drew, but it’s not a phenomenon as unique to Sox fans as people make it out to be. Drew has been disliked everywhere he’s played, really, Boston’s not the only place. And we’re probably not the best fanbase to fault other fanbases for how they view/treat their players.

• PS: Can you imagine how the Yankees fans who worship at the alter of Paul O’Neill would feel about Drew were he to play for the Yankees? It’d be no different than the reaction in Boston.

• Steve H says:

Agreed. Look, watching Drew play is uninspiring, I get that. He takes off games with hangnails, I get that. I can understand not really loving the guy, but the hate is total BS. The dude just produces.

• I hear you. Personally, I get the negative feelings towards him, it’s when those negative feelings blind people to the value of his on-field contributions that I think there’s a problem. But you can appreciate a guy’s contributions and still think he’s a schmuck.

• bexarama says:

that is true, I read a Braves fan blog that was bitching about him just for his lack of emotion. Still. And he was amazing his one year in Atlanta! I really don’t get it.

• bexarama says:

though let me add you can personally dislike players and as long as you can objectively analyze their contributions, that’s fine with me. We’re human. We’re going to irrationally like and dislike some people. But don’t say Drew is useless because he’s not very emotional or A-Rod is bad because he’s a jerk.

• Thomas says:

I do think some of Drew’s hatred is because he didn’t sign with Philly leading to people knowing him and hearing people hated him before he played a game. Also, Drew had immense hype from BA and while being a great player, he only had 2 super seasons (.400+ wOBA 2001, 2004). In fact, because the 2001 season came so early in his career, people expected even more from him, when it was really a career year. Thus, he was seen as a failure and when combined with his lack of emotion, he appears lazy.

He is sort of like a better Pat Burrell, he never quite lived up to the expectations and thus, was failure and a player to hate. In both cases, it is completely unfair.

• Dirty Pena says:

I’m a little surprised people don’t get it. WARNING: I AM NOT USING THIS AS EVIDENCE OF WHAT I THINK. Here’s the stats a typical Boston fan looks at:

.272 BA
                18 HR/yr
                65 RBI/yr

• Dirty Pena says:

Especially when the first year those numbers were .270/11/64, and then the second year he missed 53 games.

• Dirty Pena says:

In comparison, O’Neill with the Yankees:

.303 BA
                  21 HR/yr
                  95 RBI/yr (counting strike shortened seasons)

Me thinks if you took away 30 average points, and 30 RBI a year, the fans wouldn’t have loved Paulie as much as they did.

• poster says:

Good post. I think you may have something there.

• V says:

Don’t forget that the Braves traded Wainwright for ONE SEASON of Drew ;-)

• Steve H says:

If he threw his bat every once in a while and rubbed some pine tar on his helmet, he’d be a Mo here. There are seriously (a ton) of people that complain that he didn’t celebrate when Ellsbury stole home last year.

• Ojas says:

Yeah, I’ve also heard that his lack of outward emotion rubs/rubbed (lol..immature) his teams’ fans the wrong way. I definitely like O’Neill more because of how obvious it was that he was putting his blood, sweat, and tears into the game, but I never faulted more stoic players (e.g. Mussina) who still produced.

• Ghost of Scott Brosius says:

The thing with the Sox right now is that they are supposed to be built to be as good as the Yankees, and that’s clearly how the fanbase evaluates the team. And while the Yankees have a stable of players clearly recognized as major stars (Arod, Jeter, Tex, Sabathia, Rivera, with Grandy and Cano not far behind) the Sox no longer have the Manny, Ortiz, Pedro, Schilling, Nomar type stars to match. They do have elite, excellent players like Youkilis, Pedroia, and Lester, but these players are not really viewed by Bostonites and the MLB community, IMO, as superstars. And so in their desire for superstar players, the fans lash out at anyone being played decent money if they are not superstar level, even if they are very solid, well above-average contributors like Drew.

38. Accent Shallow says:

Someone had mentioned upthread that AJ Burnett is probably worth his contract. I disagree, although I have no complaints about his performance in pinstripes thus far (226 IP, 109 ERA+, one great Game 2 performance), I wouldn’t pay him that much (5/$82M).

Evidence:

Cot’s Contracts of most lucrative pitchers by year. Burnett is #7 on the list (tied with Lackey), and that’s including 3 contracts signed this past offseason. He’s good, but he’s not among the top 7 pitchers in the league.

Additionally, per Fangraphs, 1 WAR is worth around $4.5 million. (Cite). Burnett is typically <3 WAR, although that depends whether you believe CHONE or Fangraphs. Regardless, he’s around a 3 win pitcher, so I don’t know if I’d go up to $16.5M a year on him, especially for 5 years.

Of course, maybe the Yankees were desperate after missing the playoffs in ’08, and he does have electric stuff, so maybe he harnesses it and puts together a CY-worthy season before he gets too old.

• Thomas says:

I agree.

If Burnett matches last season, he will be slightly overpaid. You could make a case the value he is paid over his true value, goes to the fact few top pitchers ever hit FA so you have to pay them a little extra. However, even this case, he has only been worth his value through year one of five and I personally think he will be a bad contract by year four and five (though I certainly hope I am wrong).

• Dirty Pena says:

The problem with using this as a point of evidence is that there’s lots of pitchers who are better than Burnett who haven’t reached free agency yet. Lincecum, Felix, Lester, Verlander, Greinke, etc.

• dkidd says:

dustin pedroia after today’s game:

“when you don’t show up, you’re going to get beat. doesn’t matter if it’s the rays or (expletive) brookline high”

he’s wrong. back in the 80′s, i played second base for brookline high (i mean that literally. every game i played, i was high, as were most of my teammates). you could not show up and still beat us senseless

• 28 next year says:

I said that. i am not necessarily saying he is worth his entire contract but IF he remains relatively healthy and gives the Yankees quality innings, I don’t think he was a really bad investment. By no means is he a steal but so far, I would say he is just slightly overpaid but when each win is worth a lot for the Yankees, it is worth it. He wasn’t the greatest FA signing but if he doesn’t spend too much time on the DL, I think the Yankees made a decent investment.

39. bexarama says:

uh oh, Ike Davis made an error. Bust!!!!

40. Drew says:

This PED mess has me a bit worried. Says it’s not a repeat offender but how many offenders are worth a grain of salt? The only ones I can think of is ManRam and JC Romero.

41. First Time Poster/Long Time Lurker says:

Anyone else getting the annoying “can-am” add in gameday?

Also, a couple Blue Jay related notes.

1) Jose Batista just hit his second homer of the game
    2) It would be funny if Alex Gonzalez has a big year and the Red-Sox sign him (even though the Jays hold an option)
    3) Fred Lewis was an absolute steal, what were the Giants thinking?

42. bexarama says:

Jeff Samardzija is so bad.

43. Ojas says:

Maybe he should practice with his old Notre Dame buddy Brady Quinn. I’m sure he’d learn, um, nothing.

/cheapshot’d

44. Prediction: Jack Bauer spends the last 5 episodes of 24 drinking himself into oblivion and winds up dying in a mental hospital.

45. Hangoverologist says:

Is there any new news concerning the PED suspension. I’m curious to see who it is.

• bexarama says:

if it’s real, as the guy just Tweeted, Bud’s probably not going to have an announcement at 10 PM.

Goddamn this time tomorrow the game will be JUST STARTING.

• It’s probably some minor leaguer who took some banned substance while back at home in the DR or Mexico, where it’s legal. Many of these turn out to be unintentional.

46. First Time Poster/Long Time Lurker says:

Jus’ sayin’… Brett Pedroia’s brother DOES have 5 dingers.

• First Time Poster/Long Time Lurker says:

/sarcam’d and/or fingers crossed.

• poster says:

Can we please stop linking Dustin Pedroia to Brett Pedroia? They are brothers, yes, but as far as we know they have nothing to do with each other. I know nothing of Dustin Pedroia’s character and it is unfair to link him to a sex offender just because he’s related. That could mean nothing, and it certainly doesn’t mean that he is a sex offender…and if we agree with that, him being Brett Pedroia’s brother doesn’t mean anything anyway, right?

I think that this is a case of taking the game too seriously. I dislike Dustin Pedroia but shit, it is, in the end, a game. If you want to give him an insulting nickname don’t get that personal. My favorite is the Hobbit.

47. bonestock94 says:

Ugh, how is my fantasy team 0/15 tonight…

• Brad Toughy says:

Ouch. :/

• Steve H says:

I’m not quite as bad, but the Rays had 12 hits today, and my only Ray is the 0-5 Zobrist.

• First Time Poster/Long Time Lurker says:

If Zobrist went 5-5 and the rest of the line-up was an 0-fer, a great pun could have been made. A pun I will say now.

“Talk about a Ray of sunshine in an otherwise dreary line-up”

shutters*

• poster says:

Also, in keeping with the spelling Nazi theme, the word you’re looking for is the verb “shudders” as in, somebody who shudders. Shutters is a noun meaning either those little door things that go over old windows or possibly people who shut things, though that second definition is used quite rarely.

/English Language Geek’d

• bonestock94 says:

wooo, 1/19

48. First Time Poster/Long Time Lurker says:

Completely off-topic. Anybody else thinks Luis Castillo is a better player than given credit for? Yes, he is overpaid and he DID drop the infamous pop-up; however, he has produced at an admirable level the past couple years for the lowly Mets. Furthermore, he had a long and successful career who is entering what is probably his twilight years. I for one think he is slightly underrated.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Barely above league average. His OBP is nice but his slugging brings his offensive production down. He’s alright.

• bexarama says:

I don’t think he’s great but people act like he sucks when he doesn’t. Though 2008: 0.6 WAR. 2009: 1.6 WAR. He has good on-base skills, but he doesn’t hit for power, and UZR had him as not very good in 2008 and abysmal in 2009 when he was supposed to be a strong defensive player.

• JGS says:

A lot of that is the miserable year right after signing a four year contract

Call it Pavano syndrome

• First Time Poster/Long Time Lurker says:

Yeah, his defense was pretty suspect. I just feel bad for him because he had a pretty good career, and now he is shit on by everyone, Met’s fans included.

Also, how about those 2003 Marlins… fuck them.

• bexarama says:

fuck ‘em in the ear

• First Time Poster/Long Time Lurker says:

Arguably the worst orpheus to be penetrated… the nostril holds a candle.

• poster says:

Er, do you mean orifice?

/Spelling Nazi’d

• Accent Shallow says:

The word you’re looking for is “orifice.” “Orpheus” is a bard in Greek mythology (who was such a sweet singer he got his wife back from Hades!), although as a man, he probably didn’t enjoy being penetrated, either.

• poster says:

ALMOST got his wife back from Hades…just another tragic Greek Hero…

• Accent Shallow says:

Depends if you mean “Hades the deity” or “Hades the place”

/point conceded, but he did convince the King of the Dead to let her leave. He just screwed up.

• poster says:

I’ve heard two versions. One is that he screwed up in an obvious way, as in, he looked just a second too early. The other version, which I rather like, has him leaving the underworld and then looking back, only to realize that he looked too quickly; Eurydice hadn’t left yet. Oops. Should’ve remembered the rules and been a bit more patient. Sorry, Orpheus.

49. Ghost of Scott Brosius says:

Question: What is the record for walks by a team in one season, and do the Yanks have a realistic shot at it?

50. YankeesJunkie says:

Well considering that average WAR for a MLB player is around 2, Castillo’s WAR is pretty below average. He would not cut it on the Yankees.

51. http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/0.....sing-joba/

Nice Hughes/Joba scouting piece by Frank Piliere. I’m still holding out hope that Joba finds his groove again working out of the bullpen sometime this year, and his long lost velocity along with it. But as Cash has alluded to many times, that pitcher may just be gone forever. He always had doubts attached to him about maintaining his stuff for a variety of reasons.

• The Big City of Dreams says:

its crazy how things have changed between the two pitchers. I’m also hoping that joba can find his groove and rediscovers who he is as a pitcher. I would rather see him go down to the minors but thats not going to happen

52. bexarama says:

Victor Rojas used to be pretty good on MLB Network but now he’s like a crazy person on the Angels’ broadcast.

53. Ben says:

Baseball Tonight just did a segment on closers in baseball because Gagne retired. They had a couple quotes from hitters about each closer (Hoffman, Broxton, etc etc)

Then the segment ended with everyone saying Mo. Showed how great he is. Then just Rivera saying “That’s it. Game over.”

Love it. ESPN is finally trusting in the might of Mo

54. Cecala says:

Just got The Show and am doing season mode. It is pretty good I picked the Royals and have them as the overall #2 team.

55. Hughesus Christo says:

Mike Cameron has another kidney stone? Drink some water, man.

56. pat says:

Wow, this Sox losing streak has really brought out the trolls on Abe’s new digs. I’m sure he loves it.

57. Hangoverologist says:

When the Yanks go to Arizona in the summer, there is going to be a shitload of narrative surrounding it. (re: 2001)

• Hughesus Christo says:

I just want to see Justin Upton play, and hopefully watch IPK implode.

• JGS says:

I don’t think so–there is no one left from that team, is there?

• bexarama says:

Mark Grace does commentary for the Diamondbacks

Miguel Batista is allegedly still pitching somewhere

Curt Schilling is likely blogging as we type

Craig Counsell is still inexplicably annoying even without the stupid batting stance

BK Kim might still be crying.

• bexarama says:

a. ugh, they’re gonna show Gonzo freaking out after hitting that bloop like 37 times and then I’m gonna throw up.
      b. They played Arizona in interleague, including in 2002, the year after that World Series. They went to their ballpark in 2004.

• Hangoverologist says:

But, JGS, the announcers for both teams will likely both be babbling about it for the whole series.

58. bexarama says:

via Ken Tremendous, the Astros’ current team OPS+ is 39. 39!!!!

59. pete says:

JMK/any other fans of The National: not promoting any kind of illegal downloading or anything like that (and I plan on buying the album as soon as it comes out) but I found it online and it is AMAZING. Everyone should do themselves a favor and get ahold of it when it comes out. Completely different feel from the last two albums. Everything on Boxer was so brilliantly understated, but here everything feels a little more free to really get all the way to where it wants to go. Great, great album.

60. Across the pond says:

Trade question:

I get Verlander and Dotel for Ellsbury.

Pull the trigger?