Apr

The Ho Train makes a stop on the DL

Who had Chan Ho Park in the “first to hit the disabled list” pool? The veteran reliever was placed on the 15-day DL today after he injured his hamstring while warming up last night. His replacement? Lefty Boone Logan, who has done a bang-up job for Triple-A Scranton so far this year (6.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 9 K). He threw 27 pitches just last night, so he might not be available until tomorrow.

Apparently CHoP could’ve just rested it and been available when the Yanks go out to the west coast next week, but the team didn’t want to risk. No point in doing so this early in the season.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. throwbot says:

I wonder if the hammy injury is diarrhea related.

2. I would have gone with Melancon. Boone Logan’s stuff and track record in the bigs don’t inspire much confidence, but Joe Girardi loves himself some lefties.

• Tank the Frank says:

Yeah I really don’t see the reason to bring up Logan, a second lefty, in this spot. Three with Texas and then out to Oakland and Anaheim. Not very lefty-heavy lineups I don’t think. Maybe it would make sense if they were about to play a four-game set vs the Twins.

I want to see Melancon come up…and stay up. He’s my great hope in ending the Joba/8th inning/closer debate.

• Brad Toughy says:

It’s only 2 weeks. If Melancon comes up he’s the last man in the pen, and maybe sees three or four innings over the course of a couple of weeks before going back down.

Let Boone Logan come up and fill in the innings while Melancon gets his regular work in at AAA. He’ll have his chances. It’s not that big a deal.

• James says:

Rather Melancon stay at Scranton and be used on a regular basis then for him to be brought up and see something like 4 innings in the next 2 weeks.

If Girardi won’t use him on a semi-regular basis, i don’t want him up here.

3. JimmieFoxx says:

I would have gone with Melancon too but not because of a lack of faith in Logan. I’m more worried that Logan won’t be available for tonight and possibly tomorrow’s games due to his 27 pitch outing last night.

• Chris says:

It’s CC going tonight. I doubt Logan would get into the game even if he were available.

• JimmieFoxx says:

Agreed but my other thought is about the weather. What if CC throws 1.1 innings and then we get an hour rain delay. CC probably doesn’t come out to pitch after the long delay. We’re left with a lot of innings for the bullpen to eat up.

• Dirty Pena says:

I’d say we can start with a reliever and bring CC in the 3rd or something, but lord knows we don’t want to jerk CC off.

4. Stryker says:

i may be grasping at straws here and making a big deal out of nothing, but why not go with melancon? i think this just further proves that this organization has almost no clue about how to develop pitchers and what to do with them. out of a lot of these pitchers they’ve drafted and made the majors, only robertson hasn’t been screwed with. it’s time to give these guys a chance. melancon has been ready for the call up since 2008.

• Mike Axisa says:

I don’t have a problem with Logan. It doesn’t sound like like CHoP will be out long, so why call up Melancon to be the last man out of the pen only to send him back down in two weeks?

• Stryker says:

yeah good point! i guess i’m just ready to jump all over the yankees..i’ve been making a big deal out of them not being able to successfully develop starting pitching as of late.

• Tank the Frank says:

They’ve developed Major League pitching just fine. Most are just pitching for another organization. They’ve kept the good ones.

5. Carl says:

Gonna go eat a bowl of chili for my man chop.

6. Tank Foster says:

I say give the Boner a chance.

7. Accent Shallow says:

As badly as I want Park off the team, you can’t root for injuries. Additionally, this is going to make it a little more difficult to evaluate his pitching — if he gets bombed, is it because he sucks, or he’s coming off an injury?