Apr

White House trip caps off 2009 World Series celebration

Photo Credit: Pablo Martinez Monsivais, AP

One of the many perks of winning the World Series is getting an all expenses paid trip to the White House, where hanging out and mingling with cut throat politicians in awe of their favorite players is one of the many items on the day’s agenda. Just imagine big CC Sabathia towering over Hilda Solis when the two were introduced. Or Alex Rodriguez and Hillary Clinton. I should stop there, but you get the idea.

"When I live here, I'm going to tell Dallas Braden it's an unwritten rule that he has to pick up my dog's poop. Bwahaha!" (Photo Credit: Pablo Martinez Monsivais, AP)

President Barack Obama gave a six-plus minute speech (full transcript here) during which he cracking jokes about the Cubs and singled out Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera, Mark Teixeira, and Jorge Posada for their work beyond the baseball field and the way they carry on the Yankee tradition. Sabathia, A-Rod, and Andy Pettitte apparently haven’t met the President’s criteria for True Yankeedomâ„¢ yet. Chad Jennings has more on Teixeira, who was honored for starting a scholarship in the name of a friend killed in car accident just days after cashing his first big paycheck back in 2001.

Other than that, Obama gave the usual shtick about being a champion and persevering and all that. I’m sure it’s a day that everyone in attendance will remember forever – I know I would – but more importantly, this trip basically concluded the World Championship tour. There are no more ring ceremonies, no more openers, no more trips to see the President. It’s all in the past, and the pursuit for the 2010 World Series crown now begins in earnest.

For those who missed it while at work or school today, the White House has made the video of the Yanks’ appearance available on YouTube. Check it out:

Categories : News

1. B-Rando says:

That picture just looks….right

2. Salty Buggah says:

Haha, hilarious caption Mike. That picture is perfect.

If I were A-Rod, I’d that get that framed and hang it my house. Anyone who walks in will be amazed. Big/luxurious house, valuable baseball memorabilia, Centaur portraits, and that picture = Awesome.

3. Kiersten says:

So, did all the Yankees get to go or just the ones that are on the team last year?

Like “Sorry, Nick Johnson and Curtis Granderson, we’ll be at the White House, see ya at Camden Yards” just seems mean. Then again, I guess it sucks for the guys not on the team anymore who didn’t get to go.

4. Manimal says:

10:18ish, look how south cali hughes is with his handshake

5. MattyLoop says:

The President didnt single out Andy or A-Rod for one reason: PEDs.

6. dkidd says:

i’m annoyed that sterling and kay are there

but i’m pleased to have a president who isn’t a moron

7. Tom Zig says:

I gotta say A-Rod is a snazzy dresser.

8. bexarama says:

I said it before, I’ll say it again: what the heck was Teixeira wearing/what the heck was up with his hair

9. Joba looked rather antsy while waiting for Obama to come over to his side of the room.

10. Or Alex Rodriguez and Hillary Clinton.

I just JIMP’d.

What’s with the new commenting format?

11. Kyle says:

Why do the TV and radio people get to be in the picture? They weren’t part of the team or the front office.

On a side note, I love the room that they give Michael Kay’s head in the picture haha.

12. Across the pond says:

Needs more Matsui

13. Jersey says:

My two favorite parts of last year in one photo. Too much awesome.

14. smurfy says:

Loved Arod’s thoughts from the portico. It even gives me a little shot of ambition.