May

Park activated, Nova sent down

Via Bryan Hoch, the Yankees have activated Chan Ho Park from the 15-day DL after he battled a bum hamstring for the last month. Ivan Nova has been sent to Triple-A Scranton to make room on the roster. Getting CHoP back is big right now, given the unreliably of the middle relievers beyond Joba Chamberlain and Mariano Rivera (yesterday notwithstanding). Furthermore, David Robertson and Joba respectively threw 30 and 23 high stress pitches yesterday, so they might not even be available tonight. Park might get thrown right into the fire.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. JobaWockeeZ says:

Nooo, not Nova! I’m sure there’s a less valuable bullpen piece that could have been sent down.

But it’s good to have CHoP back.

• Thomas says:

I’m sure there’s a less valuable bullpen piece that could have been sent down.

I suspect that is a major reason Nova got sent down. He has value and thus, should go to the minor leagues to hone his craft, so could become better piece in the future. Sending down another in place of Nova, could place Nova’s development and large long-term potential in jeopardy for the sake of small short-term gains.

• vin says:

“I’m sure there’s a less valuable bullpen piece that could have been sent down.”

Come on, man… call him by his name – Boone.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

How long is the Boone Logan experiment going to last? Having two lefties for the sake of having two lefties doesn’t make sense.

• Jamal G. says:

It is not “for the sake of having two lefties.” Boone Logan should be on this team, considering the alternatives.

Ivan Nova’s demotion was explained above by Thomas and Eric, and the same applies to Romulo Sanchez.

Mark Melancon would not get regular work in the current construction of the bullpen, nor should he. As for as non-Rivera relievers go, Melancon should not be pitching high-leverage innings before any of the non-long-man relievers in the bullpen.

Logan has been successful in his truly brief career in the majors versus southpaw batters, and is a better option than Jonathan Albaladejo.

Unless you want an 11-man pitching staff, Boone Logan does represent the best option for a sixth one-inning reliever.

• Mike says:

I agree about having Logan here. Although he has control problems at times he has the abilty to blow people away. Plus his control is much better then Mike Dunn’s because atleast Logan hits the strike zone.

As far Melancon goes, I would rather have him up here then Park. Even though Melancon is inexperience he is still a much better option then Park. Melancon no only can blow people away but he also has movement on his fastball. I would rather have a young reliever with little experience and 94 mph fastball with sink on it than an old reliever who throws an 88-91 mph fastball that is straight as anything.

I have said this from the beginning and will continue to say that Chan Ho Park should have never been given a contract with the guarantee of a roster spot. If anything, Cashman should have only offered him a minor league contract with an invite to compete for a spot in the bullpen out of spring training. I guarantee Park will put up an over 6.00 era after returning and be released by mid-july. This is a signing that Cashman will regret the most.

• ROBTEN says:

I’m sure there’s a less valuable bullpen piece that could have been sent down.

Hmm…let me think…you mean like a left-hander with an xFIP of 5.12, a BB/9 of 6.48, and off whom left-handers are hitting .300/.500/.500?

Nope, sorry, I can’t think of anyone.

(But, yeah, I agree with others that it makes more sense for Nova to keep starting than waste away as the long man in the BP.)

• Chris says:

There is also the question of how to best develop Nova. I don’t think there’s much benefit in having him as the last man in the pen in the majors. Let him pitch regularly in AAA.

2. Back to my question from last night:

Nova going back to Scranton (plus Tim Redding’s addition) gives them 14 pitchers for a 12 man staff:

Nova, McAllister, Hirsh, Sanchez, Redding, Moseley, Igawa, Melancon, Albaladejo, Ring, Sanit, Whelan, Schmidt, Segovia.

Which 2 of those pitchers get bumped off the active roster, and would it be to Trenton or to the Phantom DL? And who gets the last spot in the rotation: Redding, Moseley, or Igawa?

(I don’t know why I care about this, but I do.)

3. Drew says:

This is a random thought, but has anyone noticed the strength of schedule of the Rays (0.477, 29th of 30 teams) vs that of the Yankees 0.509 and Red Sawx 0.529.

I think that combined with the lack of Yankee home games and we are in for a market correction… assuming some players (Swish, Granderson, Jorge, CHoP, Pettite get/stay healthy)

P.S. did anyone else notice that last night Tex was called out of 2 “strikes” 3-4 inches inside off the plate

• vin says:

I agree with what you said in the second paragraph – but all 3 paragraphs probably should’ve been in the off topic thread.

• bexarama says:

there’s an OT thread:

Also, I agree. I don’t see what “market correction” we’re in for because we’ve already got a great record, when the Yankees usually get off to slow starts. We’re doing quite well through the rough part of our schedule, with fewer home games than most other teams, with injuries to some important players. When Grandy comes back and we move on to the easier part of the schedule, with more games at home, we rampage. Not that we haven’t done that already.

Both Mo and Rauch hit the corners of the strike zone yesterday, but Rauch got calls that Mariano didn’t. These things are
      terribly annoying and shouldn’t happen, but they do. #robotumps

• pat says:

The strength of schedule #’s are a bit skewed because the Sox play us and we’re awesome. They bring down our #’s because they suck.

4. andrew colin says:

Robertson should have been sent out. He’s been lousy the whole season. Let his straighten himself out in AAA. Try Nova as another long relief guy or bring out an outfielder with some pop. Bottom of order right now is brutal. Also, Pena can’t hit. Let him play everyday in AAA and let Russo be the backup infielder. At least he has some pop.

5. SullyLV says:

I would still rather have Pena as he is a lot better fielder than Russo.Defense is just as important as offense and the Yankees have enough offense even if pena has to play.