Jun

Aces wild

David Winfree has been released. He had a clause in his contract that required the Yankees to release him by today if he could find a team willing to put him on the 40-man roster, which apparently he did. Good luck to him.

Triple-A Scranton (4-1 win over Indianapolis) beat an old friend
Reid Gorecki, LF: 1 for 3, 1 R, 1 HR, 4 RBI – wasn’t a granny, just a three run shot
Colin Curtis, CF, Eduardo Nunez, SS & Jorge Vazquez, 1B: all 1 for 4 – Curtis K’ed once, Vazquez twice
Juan Miranda, DH: 0 for 4, 1 K
Jesus Montero, C: 0 for 3
Matt Cusick, 3B: 2 for 3, 1 R, 2 2B – his reward for such a nice game? a demotion
Reegie Corona, 2B & Greg Golson, RF: both 0 for 2, 1 R – Corona was walked intentionally & committed a fielding error … Golson hot hit by a pitch & swiped a bag
Ivan Nova: 8 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 5 K, 134 GB/FB – 69 of 105 pitches were strikes (65.7%)
Jon Albaladejo: 1 IP, zeroes, 1 K, 0-1 GB/FB – seven of his nine pitches were strikes

Double-A Trenton (9-1 win over Altoona)
Justin Christian, LF: 1 for 5, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 K
Austin Krum, CF: 0 for 4, 1 R, 1 BB, 2 K
Austin Romine, C: 1 for 5, 1 R, 1 K – still just three for his last 32 (.094)
Brandon Laird, 3B: 1 for 5, 1 R, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 2 K – at this point, is there any question who the Yanks’ minor league hitter of the year is? … that’s his 14th jack already
Dan Brewer, RF: 1 for 2, 2 R, 2 HBP, 1 SB – that’s 18 steals already
Marcos Vechionacci, 1B & Luis Nunez, SS: both 0 for 2 – Vech stole a base, scored twice & walked twice … Nunez walked once & drove in a run with a sac fly
Edwar Gonzalez, RF: 1 for 1, 1 R, 1 2B, 3 BB – I’m a sucker for lines like this
Justin Snyder, 2B: 2 for 4, 1 R, 2 RBI – nine for his last 19 (.474)
David Phelps: 7 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 7 K, 9-5 GB/FB - dude’s got a 0.94 WHIP on the season
Ryan Pope: 2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, 2 WP, 3-1 GB/FB

High-A Tampa (6-2 loss to Dunedin)
Walt Ibarra, SS & Corban Joseph, DH: both 0 for 4 – Ibarra K’ed twice
Jose Pirela, 2B: 1 for 3, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 K
Bradley Suttle, 3B & Francisco Santana, LF: both 0 for 3 – Suttle drew a walk & K’ed … Santana K’ed thrice
Melky Mesa, CF: 2 for 4, 1 R, 1 3B, 1 RBI, 1 K
Addison Maruszak, 1B: 1 for 3, 1 BB – 16 for his last 38 (.421)
Jack Rye, RF & Mitch Abeita, C: both 1 for 4 – Rye drove in a run … Abeita K’ed
Dellin Betances: 6 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 0 R, 1 BB, 7 K, 5-6 GB/FB – 13 K, 1 BB in his 12 IP back
J.B. Cox: 1 IP, 4 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1-1 GB/FB – he gets a big fat mulligan here, it’s his first game in close to a year … great to see him back
Noel Castillo: 1 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 1-1 GB/FB
Jon Ortiz: 1 IP, zeroes, 1 K, 1-1 GB/FB

Low-A Charleston (4-3 win over Augusta, walk-off style)
Slade Heathcott, CF: 1 for 4, 1 BB, 2 K, 2 SB – he’s had a hit in all but one of his 11 games … the walk was intentional, by the way
J.R. Murphy, DH: 0 for 4, 1 K
Jimmy Paredes, SS: 1 for 4, 1 R, 1 3B, 2 K
Rob Lyerly, 1B: 3 for 4, 1 R, 1 RBI – 21 for his last 36 (.583) … he might be the hottest hitter on the planet right now
Zoilo Almonte, RF: 1 for 2, 1 R, 2 RBI, 2 BB – scored the winning run on a walk-off wild pitch
DeAngelo Mack, LF & Emerson Landoni, 2B: both 1 for 3 – Mack got hit by a pitch …  Landoni stole a base
Hector Rabago, 3B: 0 for 4, 2 K
Jose Ramirez: 5.1 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 4 K, 3 WP, 1 HB, 6-6 GB/FB – stuck in a little run right now, no biggie
Ryan Acosta: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K, 3-1 GB/FB
Ryan Flannery: 2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 5-0 GB/FB - I hope this dude gets paid by the appearance, seems like he’s out there every day

Categories : Down on the Farm

1. RPimpsner says:

Mike, I want to give you guys the link to my last roster preview before Friday and a profile on Bryant Cotton over at GothamBaseball.com

Enjoy and if anyone has any questions about the Staten Island Yankees 2010 season e-mail me at rpimpsner@yahoo.com and I will post the question and answers on GothamBaseball.com on Thursday as part of a mailbag.

2. A.D. says:

Uh oh, don’t look now if Brack & Betances can stay healthy and on track

3. Johan Iz My Brohan says:

I hope that was a double steal from Speedy Slade there =)

4. Mike Pop says:

Dellin!

5. vin says:

I keep waiting for Phelps to throw up a stinker. He’s solid-to-great in every single start.

He’s allowed 2 or fewer runs (earned or otherwise) in all but 1 start.

I know he’s not a big-time prospect, but I’m titillated nonetheless.

6. Dela G says:

slade heathcott = feared

7. Jake H says:

Jose can get out of his rut any time now. Not biggie really, guys are going to struggle.

8. mikebk says:

send Phelps to AAA.

9. vin says:

The Pirates must be licking their chops. We have some nice pitching prospects at all levels.

• Johan Iz My Brohan says:

I’m sure they’ll find another Daniel McCuthen in our system!

• Brian in NH says:

They have nothing that we want…Ryan Doumit maybe if Posada goes out for the year with an injury because I don’t think Cervelli is quite there yet for major league every day…other than that who else do they have?

• All Praise Be To Mo says:

Andrew McCutchen, maybe Pedro Alvarez are the only 2 I can think of.

• rbizzler says:

Two guys with a year or less of service time are not really trade bait, more like building blocks.

I think that Brian meant, they have nothing that we want that they would actually trade.

10. rbizzler says:

Man what a night for the starters. It is borderline shocking to see Brack and Betances as strike-throwing machines. Obviously, Phelps has been nasty all year and I liked the reports on his velo being 90-94.

11. Gonzo says:

Can Nunez and Laird net something good? Also, can you get Cliff Lee without Romine or Montero?

P.S. You want to hear something sick? Mike Trout is getting better! It’s sick how good that kid is hitting in his first professional year.

12. A.D. says:

Phelps, Z-Mac v 2.0?

13. Don’t forget Cris Cabrera, the #1 pickup in last years IFA. 13 straight scoreless innings to start the season for DSL 1.

Straight Domination, Holmes.

14. Sleepykarl says:

Just a little add on to the Low A recap; Zoilo Almonte hit his 10th HR.

15. zs190 says:

Wow, our pitching prospects have been really awesome.

Brackman is really turning it around, Betances has been great in his comeback. Jose Ramirez, Adam Warren, Hector Noesi, David Phelps, and Graham Stoneburner have all been great. Ivan Nova has been solid.

Bryan Mitchell and Evan DeLuca are two guys from last draft that seem to be really promising and probably could be playing for short season teams soon.

This is not even counting guys from draft that we could sign (Morton, Encina, the big Canadian kid) and guys that were injured (Marshall, ManBan, Cotham)

Not all of these guys are going to work out but I’m really excited about all these pitching prospects we have.

• Pete says:

I said back in February when the yankees were consensus mid-20s organization that all it would take would be a good draft and a few good seasons out of some of the “projects” and we’d be right back in the top 10. If Jesus continues to break out and Romine gets back on track, I think we’ll get there this year.

16. Bobby's World says:

My boy Laird,what can you say.How about Eastern league MVP.

17. Captain Jack says:

Slade’s striking out a bit too much for me.

• Kar says:

I’ll take the strikeouts for now and hopefully the discipline will come, but I’m not going to be too worked about a 19 year old in his first month of a-ball being aggresive at the plate. I do agree I would like to see that number go down especially if he is hitting in the top of the lineup.

• rbizzler says:

Where is Tommie and his burrito/microwave comment when you need him.

18. Joe R says:

Paging Mr. Venditte. Now paging Mr. Pat Venditte.

19. AndrewYF says:

Results are nice for Betances, but scouting reports are more important.