Jun

Yanks win the pitching battle that wasn’t

Last night was supposed to be a big ticket. World Series rematch. Halladay vs. Sabathia. And while it did live up to the billing, at least in a Yankees fan’s view, it wasn’t the pitching duel that we had envisioned. Halladay was a little off with his command and the Yankees took advantage. Ten baserunners turned into six runs, and when Halladay left he had as many earned runs as innings pitched.

Biggest Hit: Gardner splits the outfielders

Photo credit: Seth Wenig/AP

In the first he looked like regular ol’ Roy. It took him just 10 pitches to retire the Yankees in order. Even in the second he got Robinson Cano to ground out on the second pitch. But then Swisher worked a 3-1 count and singled on a cutter over the middle. Jorge Posada followed with a Halladay rarity, a four-pitch walk. Then came Brett Gardner.

Halladay worked Gardner away, first with a curveball low, then a cutter on the outside corner, and then another curveball low. Back to the cutter he went, but like Swisher’s it was right over the plate. Gardner lined the pitch between Victorino and Werth, so precisely that neither was very close to it. Victorino bobbled the ball after retrieving it, but it didn’t matter much. The ball was hit far enough for even Jorge Posada to score from first base. That opened up the scoring, giving the Yankees a 2-0 lead.

Biggest Pitch: CC works out of a jam

Photo credit: Seth Wenig/AP

After sailing through the first three innings, Sabathia fell on hard times in the fourth. He took a ball off the pitching hand and then seemed to fall apart a bit. The Phillies cut the lead to 5-3, and then threatened again in the fifth. For the second straight inning Sabathia faced a bases loaded situation. But this time he had two outs, and just Raul Ibanez to retire.

Sabathia went right at Ibanez with three fastballs. The first went up and in for a ball, and the second went to the opposite corner, still outside the zone, for ball two. Again with the fastball, this one up and away. Ibanez got on top of it, chopping it right to Cano at second. Crisis averted.

Overall CC’s night looked good. He still struck out seven in his seven innings, allowing just five hits and walking two (one intentional). The only blemish on his record was the bases loaded, none out situation in the fourth. Outside that he looked a lot more like the Sabathia we saw in April. Well, at least he looked that way from the grandstands.

Miscellany

Photo credit: Seth Wenig/AP

This was only the ninth game in his career in which Roy Halladay has allowed three or more home runs. It was the fourth time that the Yankees did it. In fact, they did it twice last year, exactly a month apart, July and August 4.

I really wanted Ramiro Pena to do something tonight, so I could say that Ramiro Pena owns Roy Halladay. He was 2 for 6 with two doubles, including one to break up a no-hitter, last year. Maybe that’s why Halladay plunked him in the first. Anyway, Pena went 0 for 2 off him the rest of the way, though he did come close on a ball to right, and he did line one right at Ryan Howard.

Curtis Granderson? I’m a fan. With his 2 for 5 night he’s now hitting .276/.358/.551 since returning from the DL.

Graph and box

Here’s the boxscore. Here’s the WPA breakdown. Here are the video highlights.

Next up

The Phillies changed things up so we don’t get to see old lefty vs. older lefty on Wednesday. Instead it will be A.J. Burnett vs. Jamie Moyer tomorrow night.

Categories : Game Stories

1. Frittoman626 says:

Get ready, because the Yankees will win 20-6 tomorrow hahaha

2. bonestock94 says:

I hope game 1 of the 2010 WS goes something like this.

• Cecala says:

I dont think Phili is going to make the WS this year. If they continue like they are now, they might not even make the playoffs. Outside of Halladay, their starting pitching is average to the point where they have a 47 year old man pitching. They have good batters, but pitching wins championships.

• Sleepykarl says:

Last year did not agree with that. The WS AL representative went with 3 starters on short rest and the NL representative signed their GM 2 starter in July. Both the AL and NL teams did have the best offenses in their respected leagues.

• Cecala says:

The playoff format allowed for that though. Would you rather have 3 good starters and an average one or have a few short rest starts and put the best available pitcher out there.

• bexarama says:

I think they make the playoffs. Their problem hasn’t been their pitching, what they have can generally carry them in the NL at least. I mean, the 47-year-old already has two CGs this year. That’s kind of insane.

Their problem has been that Utley, Werth, Howard, Victorino, etc. are in huge-ass slumps (ZOMG it’s because they took away the binoculars!!!!). Most announcers/analysts are overstating the importance of Rollins to that team – again, the slumps of guys like Utley and Werth are way more of a reason for the Phillies’ failure lately – but even with the awful year he had last year he is way better than whoever they are using for SS nowadays.

When those guys heat up, the Phillies will once again look really awesome. There was a point in this season maybe like 40 or 45 or so games in when the Yankees and Phillies had the same record, I think they said it on the broadcast. Happ isn’t a sub-3 ERA guy (he got crazy lucky last year) but he’s going to replace someone meh in that rotation.

Someone on the Open Thread yesterday said that when some guys on the Mariners start hitting up to their potential they will go on a tear. Thing is, he/she was talking about Casey Kotchman and Chone Figgins. When the Phillies start hitting again, they are gonna go on a tear.

Whoah that was an essay :X

• bonestock94 says:

what she said

• Cecala says:

It really is sad how bad they have been playing and are only 3.5 games out of first. It really puts into perspective how weak their division is. I could see them battling with the Braves for a playoff spot and who knows with the NL West the Padres, Dodgers, and Rockies can all get the WC.

The Yankee fan in me doesn’t want to see the Phillies make the playoffs because facing Halladay is a scary thing. I also do not want any Rollin predictions.

• JGS says:

I’m totally ok with Jimmy “we have Mo figured out, we’ll get him next time” Rollins’ predictions

• bexarama says:

The Rollins predictions/totally disrespectful Charlie Manuel comments were such awesomely hilarious parts of the WS in retrospect though.

• Gwen says:

I heard the Rollins prediction but I didn’t know Manuel had made disrespectful comments. What were they?

• bexarama says:

He said that his team had learned how to hit Rivera because they’d proven they could hit “any reliever” after Game 2 and that Pettitte was old and dwindling (while using the 2009 version of Pedro Martinez as his #2). I feel like I’m forgetting something, too. Nothing like God-awful but stuff that I’d be disappointed in Girardi saying about players on other teams.

• Brian in NH says:

Do you think perhaps some wayward philly fan (or maybe an evil Mets fan?) has a prospect watch somewhere on teh interblags for Rollins, Utley, Howard AND Victorino? I mean…its the only logical explaination for them all slumping

3. Dela G says:

yankees fever, catch it!

4. Cecala says:

I feel like my dad always walks in when Granderson or Vazquez does something unproductive. He hates them both and calls them useless all the time. It is pretty humorous because just as Grandy lined out with the bases loaded. I was like he hit a solo HR before but I was countered by you are not going to get that many runs off Halladay and he blew it. Hurrah for stubborn parents…

• Frittoman626 says:

Same thing with my dad and Burnett, everytime he watches Burnett pitch he always gets blown out, but when he doesnt watch him pitch, he pitches great most of the time LMAO :D

5. Captain Jack says:

I thought Doc would really give them hell and they’d be one back today, glad to still be in first.

6. FIPster Doofus says:

Last night’s game is essentially why I love CC so much. Even when he’s not at his peak, he’ll more often than not eat up innings while pitching effectively and give the Yankees a chance to win. I realize Philly has been slumping, but that team is no joke. CC still hung in there, threw seven and bettered Doc by a mile.

• Mike Nitabach says:

Yeah, same here about CC, and also the rest of the Yanks starting rotation: even without great stuff, they keep their shit somewhat together and eat up innings and keep the score manageable.

I haven’t looked at the stats to see if this is right, but my anecdotal impression is that CC has gotten in more trouble this season with big leads than in close games. But maybe that’s wrong, and I’m just thinking about last night’s game and the blown six-run lead that I saw in person.

7. larryf says:

Loved that Gardner triple to get us going-smoked it with a healing hand. Too bad he couldn’t force an errant throw home since Jorge was in front of him. I am craving an inside the parker in 2010….

8. larryf says:

Also noticed the thumb ring on the top hand in the pic. Several players use this I think. A topic for a new thread???

9. Jake H says:

Gardner was always thought so highly by the Yankees. He was considered a reach in the draft since he was drafted in the 3rd round when most considered him a 6-7th rounder.

10. CountryClub says:

It was hinted at in this post, but the Yanks have hit Doc hard now 3 times in a row (or 3 out of the past 4). They scored 5 runs off him twice last year (I believe the last 2 starts he had against them) and then again last night.

11. Greg G. says:

OK, here’s my question. In the MLB.com video highlights, the following video is posted:

Given the caption for this video, and its actual contents, am I missing something here?

12. Steve says:

B-Ref has a good post showing where Brett Gardner ranks among 2nd year players. It’s a good article to pick up and see the numbers. He’s #1 in BA and OBP (but only 3rd in OPS+, which makes sense). Still, he’s been great so far.

13. Patrick says:

This morning’s post had an interesting article about the Yankee outfield. Who knows what will happen, but if they can keep it up, 2011 will be an interesting year. Do they Yanks keep an outfield of Gardner, Swisher, and Granderson, focusing on replacing Andy (assuming he retires) with Cliff Lee? Who knows what will happen with Javy V. Again, we’re not at the halfway mark just yet and we’re not sure what will happen with our outfield, but if everything holds steady, will the Yankees pony up the big bucks elsewhere and keep the fan favorite they have found in Swish?