Jun

Eiland to return Tuesday

Finally, our long national nightmare is over. Marc Carig reports that pitching coach David Eiland will return from his personal leave of absence on Tuesday when the Yankees begin their series against Seattle. The Yanks are off Monday following tonight’s rubber game against the Dodgers. Hopefully everything worked out well for Eiland, but for selfish reasons I’m glad he’s back.

Categories : Asides

1. Weez says:

FINALLY.

2. Henry says:

Burnett will go 5-0 with a 3.10 era in July.

3. Kyle Farnsworth says:

If Burnett does that, Eiland deserves a raise.

4. Ivan says:

Glad he’s coming back and hopefully what ever personal problems he had are resolved.

5. Cecala says:

Thank sweet baby Jesus, Harkey looked lost.

6. Dela G says:

oh and can someone play that welcome back kotter theme song in the clubhouse when he comes back? ha if not, then the “welcome back” by mase would suffice. :)

welcome back mr eiland

7. UWS says:

Huzzah!

AJ must be doing cartwheels in the clubhouse :)

8. Matt DiBari says:

So does Burnett stop pouting now?

9. Chris0313 says:

What are you guys talking about! Eiland will come back to a perfect pitching staff – no rotation or bullpen problems!

10. So when AJ gets clobbered his next outing, what’s the MSM excuse then?

11. Simon B. says:

I really don’t care for Eiland.

Truthfully, I don’t know how much impact he really has, but Wang really seemed like a screwup. People have already forgotten him, but we lost a really really good pitcher. Part of it was freak-luck, but there was so much mechanically wrong with him during 2009, and Eiland was the guy in charge of that. He was working with him during every bullpen, telling the media afterward that Wang looked fantastic and would be ready in his next start, only for Wang to shit the bed in his next start. I believe he was also responsible for changing Wang’s armslot altogether where his release point was several inches different from the one he had in 06-07.

I’m also skeptical of his work with Joba and Hughes. “But Hughes is pitching great now!” Yeah, but only because he’s regained arm strength for his fastball and his cutter is working out real good (something he learned in the minors not from Eiland). His curve isn’t as good as it used to be, and he’s still afraid to throw his changeup.

• Tom Zig says:

boner kill

• Quick recap:

-When things go wrong, it’s Eiland’s fault.

-When things go well, he had nothing to do with it.

I like the way you think, Cowboy. Who needs to be fair minded when you can be dead wrong, but absolutely certain.

• Simon B. says:

I don’t laud him when the pitching is good, and I don’t criticize him when the pitching is bad.

I just see specific instances where I’m very skeptical of his work. It’s true there’s only so much you can conjecture from any coach’s teachings, but from what indications we have, Eiland is a poor coach.

• Out of curiosity, do you see any specific instances where you’d state that he’s doing good work?

Just like the hitters do with Kevin Long, the pitchers on the staff all swear by Eiland and say he’s helped them tremendously, and they haven’t been so gregarious with praise and credit with previous hitting and pitching coaches.

FWIW.

• First you wrote:

Then you wrote:

I don’t criticize him when the pitching is bad.

This is just too easy. I don’t even have to debate you, I’ll leave you to debate yourself.

• deuce bag poster says:

If I were a psychologist, I’d be having a field day with his posts.

• Simon B. says:

If you’re that concerned about “debating” me, you’re probably overly worried about the wrong details in the first place.

The point is not to hang the coach for a subpar staff, or to crown him for an excellent one, because ultimately it is the quality of the players that is largely responsible. However, there is a huge reason to think he played a significant role in the downfall of Wang. Wang was as obviously screwed up mechanically as any pitcher I can remember. Eiland was the guy there that supervised and instructed Wang during this phase. He said many things that were demonstrably wrong, saying that Wang’s release point was “inconsistent”, whereas Pitch F/x showed he had a very consistent release point. His release point was off, but not because of inconsistencies.

I can’t track down the article right now, but I believe he also is responsible for changing his armslot during 2008 which gave him a lot of trouble with his sinker. (Everybody remembers Wang’s troubles in ’09, but he also ran into a lot of mechanical problems in ’08.)

• Jimmy says:

It was Cash Moneys fault. He told Wang not to work his legs out in the off-season.

Hughes learned his cutter from Eiland.

• Mike HC says:

I think he has been just average. He has not done anything stand out, like fix a broken Wang. And he has not done anything particularly of note with the youngsters Joba and Hughes. You can argue that Joba has been completely f’d up, and Hughes is just locating his two fastballs really well, which I don’t think you can attribute anything to Eiland there. I give credit to Mo for the cutter, lets be honest.

But, he has not done anything particularly wrong either. The veterans seem to like him a lot and he really has not had many chances to truly mold a pitcher. The story is not done with Hughes and Joba. Hughes and Joba’s development in the future should really be his mark on this team in the future.