Jun

Open Thread: Losing with your best pitcher still in the bullpen

Mo had plenty of time to sign autographs from the 8th through 14th innings. (Photo Credit: Kathy Willens, AP)

I don’t know what’s more frustrating, losing a game in extra innings when Mariano Rivera didn’t pitch because he was being held back for a stupid statistic, or Mark Teixeira for doing his best Jeff Francoeur impression. Probably the latter, because the former has been happening for years.

Anyway, here’s your open thread for the night. There’s a game on MLB Network for you to watch, but which one apparently depends on where you live. It’s Saturday though, go out and do something you won’t remember.

Categories : Open Thread

1. stuart says:

texiera has been terrible this season. his RBI’s are a mirage. He gets so many damn opptys.

can the guy not swing at a offspeed in the dirt once???????

gaudin stinks, he should be mop up only. Before it occured I said go with Mitre. Not sure the result would be different but gaudan cannot get guys out. he puts so many guys on base. Why is he on the team????There must be a reason I just cannot figure it out…..

2. Carlosologist says:

I hope this is rock bottom for Teixeira. He has to start improving at some point.

3. j says:

Jeter
    Swisher
    A-Rod
    Cano
    Posada
    Granderson
    Teixeira
    Cervelli
    Gardner
    …until Teixeira actually starts to hit

• Tom Zig says:

Don’t bother moving him up and down the lineup. I’m not a fan of doing that to legit players. Just bench him for 2-3 days like they did with A-Rod last year and call it a day.

• OldYanksFan says:

Let’s not insult the guy. How about trying switching him and Cano… and see if that does anything.

• Tom Zig says:

Jeter
        Swish
        A-rod
        Cano
        Tex
        Fill in the rest

Maybe? Nah. Just bench him.

• j says:

Even that 1-5 would be ok with me. Or if temporarily benching him works, then great. But the way Tex is going he can not bat 3rd because the team needs production from that spot.

• Brad Toughy says:

I think we’re past the point where he should be insulted. He’s been absolutely awful this year. It’s kind of insulting to fans that he continues to bat third with this type of performance.

• Marcos says:

Exactly, if you’re not producing you shouldn’t feel insulted about getting benched/moved down. I’m sure if Jete ever had such a bad season, he’d probably even ask Joe to bump him down.

• Chris says:

Tex’s season line: .221/.336/.380

On May 22, Jeter’s season line was .267/.313/.385 and they didn’t bench him or move him down in the order. Since then (12 games, 55PA), he’s hitting .429/.491/.571. Just like Jeter came around, Tex will come around. And when he does it will be fast and he’ll be red hot. I’ll take the struggles at the top of the order now to make sure that I get the rebound at the top of the order as well.

• Marcos says:

He was batting 46 points higher, that’s a lot.
              I’m not advocating benching Tex for the remainder of the year either, just for a few days until he turns it around (which he will eventually). Plus, Jeter was batting well during the beginning of the season and had flashed some good streaks, Tex hasn’t done either of those things.

• Connor Mercurio says:

how is that “insulting” to a fan?

4. Carlosologist says:

It’s Saturday though, go out and do something you won’t remember.

Done. It all happened last night.

5. Carlosologist says:

Here’s some perspective: The Phillies got a leadoff triple from Shane Victorino and the following batters grounded out and struck out. And they say the Yankees have trouble scoring runs.

6. Eirias says:

Heard a radio interview earlier. Jim Thome sounds NOTHING like I expected him to after years of reading The Dugout.

7. Captain Jack says:

I had no idea Bagwell was doing games for the Astros.

8. JPM says:

Complaining about Mariano not pitching makes no sense to me. It presupposes that no one else in the bullpen could get through that inning meaning that if Mariano was used the Yankees were doomed anyway since using him would only delay The Blue Jays winning off Gaudin.

9. P. Allen says:

I wouldn’t switch cano and tex. Cano has been unbelievable in the 5th spot and you don’t want to mess with that just to get Tex going for a few games. If you move tex, swap him with posada or granderson for a few game expirement. can’t blame not using mariano, just delays the inevitable in this game, which is on the offense and their inepitude.

• poster says:

I can’t say it delays the inevitable because the end result was not inevitable. Not using Mariano in times like this was inexcusable in the past, inexcusable today, and will be inexcusable in the future. You can’t let your best available pitcher rot in the bullpen for the entirety of a fourteen inning game.

10. Johan Iz My Brohan says:

Heathcott/Murphy as the Riverdogs 1/2 hitters is freaking amazing!

Heathcott: 2 for 2, 2 runs, 1 BB and a stolen base

Murphy: 2 for 3, 1 run, 2 doubles, 2 RBI

I don’t want to spoil myself, so I’m staying away from our minor league teams until the DOTF later.

11. Johan Iz My Brohan says:

Daniel Bard just through a 91 mph change up according to GameDay…. what?

12. poster says:

I decided to have nothing to do with the game until the encore was over, because I wanted to see it live. As a result, I just figured out we lost, like, now. My take: This proves that the Yankees are, in the end, still in a slump. They got fat off the shitty teams but when they face a half-decent opponent their bats go completely quiet again and all the old problems show up.

One reason to take heart: bullpen.

That being said, I still consider this a slump.

13. T-Dubs says:

Hey Axisa, know anything about Mike Olt from UConn? Being an alum I’ve been following them in the NCAAs a little and the word from the corpse of the Hartford Courant is that he’s got a huge bat.

14. Anyone remember who Swisher called “fat boy” last year? I’m pretty sure it was an AL East guy (Rays? Jays? O’s) but I can’t remember who. Google isn’t being very helpful.

15. Gatemouth says:

“He’s our 3 hitter,” Girardi said. “We haven’t talked about changing anything. And when he was on fire in the month of May, no one was saying anything. He’ll get hot again.”

Tex is gonna rake soon unless he’s hurt and I know Girardi is in a tough spot but let’s take it easy with “when he was on fire in the month of May”. He had his moments in May but was closer to “black hole” than “on fire”.

16. jair says:

I just want to say something brief because it does not change the order to the bat to texeira or do something soon with the one out every time that goes to bat seems rule please do something soon

17. gabegee says:

Girardi should move Teixeira in the lineup to 6th behind Posada and move Cano to 3rd. He is wasying too many socring opportunities. I know he’ll get his swing back but until such time happens, he should bat 6th.

18. Gary says:

Just a matter of time maybe days until Gaudin is DFA’d.