Jul

Oppenheimer in consideration for D-Backs’ GM job

If you went to bed early last night, you may not have heard that the Diamondbacks fired not only manager A.J. Hinch, but also GM Josh Byrnes as well. This was no small move; Byrnes was under contract until 2015 and he also had a small ownership stake in the team. Scouting and player personnel director Jerry DiPoto will take over GM duties on an interim basis, however Frankie Piliere says that Yankees’ amateur scouting director Damon Oppenheimer “will get serious consideration” for the job.

This shouldn’t be much of a surprise, Oppenheimer was recently named one of the best GM prospects in the game. Pro scouting director Billy Eppler received consideration for the Padres’ vacant GM position over the winter, so it’s good to see the front office talent get recognized for their skills around the league. That means they must be doing something right. I have no idea when Oppenheimer’s contract runs out, but I can’t imagine the Yanks would block him from such a big promotion if he were to get the job. Quite frankly, it would be a dick move if they did.

(As a side note: I’d love to see the Yanks hire Byrnes in a consulting role similar to what they did with Kevin Towers. The more input, the better.)

Categories : Asides, Front Office

1. Total Dominication says:

Please don’t go Damon!

2. JohnnyC says:

Were they so mad at Byrnes for hiring Hinch or is there something fundamentally wrong with how Byrnes has operated as GM? Have they had bad drafts the last 2 years?

3. Tom Zig says:

Is Josh Byrnes regarded as a good GM? I ask because I haven’t heard much about him. I mean sure more input the better, but if that input is coming from someone like a Ruben Amaro or an Omar Minaya quality of GM, then no thanks.

4. Reggie C. says:

I hope Damon Oppenheimer gets the GM gig. I may not be overly ecstatic with this yr’s haul but I do recognize that the farm’s prospect depth has improved mainly due to Opp’s efforts. We should all want Opp to move on.

5. Johan Iz My Brohan says:

I hope if/when Theo Epstein gets fired the Yankees hire him to a consulting role too.

• Tom Zig says:

LoL can you imagine? That’d be hilarious.

• jsbrendog (returns) says:

he will most likely get hired as a gm somewhere else if/when he ever leaves/is fired in boston. at least he should. when guys like ed wade, dayton moore, duquette, etc get multiple jobs a guy like theo should have no problem latching on somewhere else

6. Jose the Satirist says:

“he also had a small ownership stake in the team.”

I’m a little confused by this. If this is past tense does that mean he no longer has part ownership?

7. Scout says:

I find the enthusiasm for Oppenheimer a bit premature. He’s only had control of the draft process for about five years, and it is a bit soon to judge the body of his work. But I certainly agree the Yankees should never stand in the way of someone in the organization moving up to a higher position. To do otherwise would send a terrible signal and make it hard to recruit younger people.

• whozat says:

Well, it’s too early for US to judge his work, with the little we know. One assumes that there are skills around running his part of the organization that teams think well of. Stuff like managing and allocating resources, aggregating the information that he gets and making insightful decisions based on that info, balancing advanced analysis with traditional scouting, managing his people. It’s not all about whether we the fans see players drafted by Oppy’s people succeeding in the majors, it’s more about potential employers seeing how this guy runs his organization and liking what he’s doing.