Jul

Ticket prices coming down for tonight’s game

Tonight promises to be a special occasion at Yankee Stadium. Before the second half opens against the Tampa Bay Rays the Yankees will pay tribute to George Steinbrenner and Bob Sheppard. YES will carry the pre-game ceremonies, but I figure that many of you will want to go to the game. If you already have tickets the Yankees suggest you be in your seats by 6:45. If you don’t have tickets, well, you might be in luck. After an initial spike in prices following George Steinbrenner’s death Tuesday morning, ticket prices have fallen a bit.

As long as you’re not angling for field-level, you should find some decent ticket prices. (Though I guess that depends on what you consider decent prices.) Check out RAB Tickets and see if anything strikes your fancy. I’d also recommend checking back around 3:00 to see if any prices have dropped at that point.

1. Mike HC says:

You can get a better deal on tickets by going down to the stadium and scalping, every time.

• Mike HC says:

You may have to deal with a shady character or two (maybe not), so if that is not your type of thing, I guess these ticket websites are better off

• Yeah, I never go the scalping path. It’s not that I’m afraid of getting a counterfeit ticket. I’m more worried that somewhere along the line someone printed out those ticket and is already in the Stadium. I don’t see anything stopping that from happening.

• Mike HC says:

Interesting. I personally have never had that problem. I have run into some other issues in the past though, so there definitely is a bit or a risk factor.

• pat says:

Just be careful. Don’t ever, ever, buy tickets printed up off the computer, and watch out for counterfeits there are some pretty good ones floating around. Funny story, a few weeks ago a group of 5 or 6 dudes come up to the customer service window with tickets they bought on the street.They weren’t scanning at the gate so they brought them to customer service by Gate 4. They looked pretty good, but when we got a closer look they turned out to be fake. My friend, still looking at the tickets and says to them “Umm, sorry guys but these tickets are fa-” Before he could even finish the dudes book out out the door and start running to Gate 6. Turns out they were all Marines in NYC on leave. They sprinted down to Gate 6, up River Ave, found the guy, planted his ass into the ground and held him there until the cops came. The dude was arrested and the Marines were put in section 120A free of charge.

Lessons learned-
      Don’t buy fake tickets off the street.

Don’t sell fake tickets to members of the Armed Services.

• Mike HC says:

haha, good story.

I have actually always bought actual tickets. I am inherently untrustworthy of anything technology and print outs and such. So, I never mess with those even when offered. And I usually try to find a non professional scalper to buy tickets off of if I can. You can’t always find those though.

2. Anthony Murillo says:

I will be there tonight

3. Joe H says:

you may be able to get a better deal from a scalper but stubhub offers you the security. Even a real ticket could be a dead ticket. If i sell an actual ticket on stubhub, that actual ticket becomes a dead ticket. Just looking at it you cannont tell whether it has been sold or not yet. But tickets sold through instant delivery on stubhub use barcode technology to transfer the barcode to the buyer. This in turn makes the sellers tickets dead. They will not scan at the gate and you will lose your money. Same goes for the printout tickets but like others said the printout tickets add worry bc someone could print 2 copies and have already went inside the stadium with their copy. Ive found that waiting until the last minute before on stubhub allows you to get the best deal. so if youre trying to go tonite i would wait it out until 445-5pm range to buy.

4. TiqIQ says:

Rule #1 when buying tickets in the secondary market is to buy from a source you trust. All the sellers on RAB Tickets are screened and 100% guaranteed, so we’ve got you covered there. It is also true that buying from scalpers outside the venue can lead to good deals (as well as to fakes). Sellers are always racing against the clock, because as soon as the game begins, the value of their ticket goes to zero, or close to it.

We actually think this day-of and last-hours opportunity is a big one and its something we’re actively working on at TiqIQ. Our day-of product won’t be ready for RAB Tickets 2010, but come April 2011, we’ll have some great new ways to get deals close to game-time. For now, I think Joe H is right that SH around 5pm is a good place to look for deals. StubHub can deliver any MLB ticket in electronic form for only a $4.95 shipping fee vs. the $15 some of the other sellers charge, so they’re a great last-minute, as well as advanced, option.

5. Naldelo says:

Can you please send me a mail. I truly like your style.