Aug

Albaladejo, Sanchez, Miranda due for Sept. 1st call-ups

Via Joel Sherman, the Yankees plan to recall Jon Albaladejo, Romulo Sanchez, and Juan Miranda when rosters expand on September 1st, with Colin Curtis a strong possibility as well. Wilkins DeLaRosa is barely holding onto his job in Double-A Trenton, so I wouldn’t expect to see him called up to give Joe Girardi a second lefty out of the pen. Hopefully Damaso Marte is healthy by then, because they don’t have any other southpaws on the 40-man roster.

The interesting situation involves the third catcher. Jorge Posada and Frankie Cervelli are the only two catchers on the 40-man at the moment, but a third catcher is a September call-up staple, especially for playoff teams that want to rest their primary backstop. Chad Moeller is the obvious candidate, but Sherman predictably opines about the possibility of calling up Jesus Montero. Personally, I don’t see it. The Yanks have plenty of options at designated hitter already, and I think the 20-year-old is better served playing every day in Triple-A Scranton during their playoff run than getting six or eight plate appearances a week with the big league team.

I want to see him in the show as much as an anyone, but I don’t think the time is now.

Categories : Asides

1. MikeD says:

I agree. I also don’t expect the Yankees to add Montero to the 40-man roster until some point in 2011 when he proves he’s ready and they decide they need him. We won’t see Montero swinging a bat in the Yankees in September.

2. Rob Gee says:

If not now for Montero, when? Next year they’ll have predictably signed another full-time DH and Cervelli will be the BUC.

I fail to see a role for Montero on this team going forward unless they intentionally leave one for him. Hell, this year they lost their full-time DH and they still didn’t find a role for him.

• Why the hell is my burrito taking so long in the microwave??!!1!1!!

• Jobu says:

I agree. There is no role for Montero going forward. There is no way that he could displace Cervelli and Posada will catch forever!

• MikeD says:

They may not sign another DH-type knowing the Montero will be arriving at some point in 2011, while also leaving the slot open for more DH time by Posada, A-Rod and others. It’s possible Montero could force their hand with a great Spring, but I see more defensive seasoning for the kid in 2011 at AAA. (IIRC, Posada spent more than three seasons in AAA, and he was older and rated better defensively than Montero, and then when they finally brought him up, he spent time — way too much time!! — apprenticing under Girardi.) Remember, he’s only 20 and until this year has never caught more than 71 games in pro ball (and that was when he was 18 in A ball). No way he steps into the Majors as the starting catcher for the NY Yankees.

We may see Montero spend more time at 1B in the early part of 2011, splitting time at catcher and 1B, so when he arrive he can maybe catch 30 games, perhaps back up Tex at first in another 10 or 20, and the rest at DH. Looking at his minor league record, he’s clearly been spending a lot of time DHing, too, so I doubt it will be a difficult transition for him.

There is the possibility they could also trade him. I know none of us want that, but they’ve already tried twice. Nothing says they won’t try a third time. His lack of a clear opening on the Yankees (beyond DH) is probably a concern.

• hello9 says:

This.

Montero is right now a poor man’s Posada (v.2010) behind the plate. Even w/his bat, that means he doesn’t probably warrant a call up.

3. It would be nice if Sherman could spell Romulo’s name correctly.

4. pollo says:

I disagree. I don’t think the last month of AAA really means anything and he’s had substantial at bats there already. Playing every other day wouldn’t be the worst thing for Montero. It’s time.

5. Why not Rene Rivera instead of Moeller? Rivera’s actually a quite solid defensive catcher (better than both Cervelli and Moeller, I’d warrant, and by a good margin) with an excellent arm (CS% in the high 30s, as opposed to Moeller in the low 20s).

None of them are going to hit a lick, which is why they’re all backups or AAAA guys. But Rivera was once legitimately considered Seattle’s catcher of the future for his glove (provided he could hit, which he can’t.)

I wonder if it makes more sense to roll with him instead of the Moeller Experience again. Rivera even has 53 games of big league experience with the M’s back in ’04-’06.

• Ghost says:

They’re really essentially the same hitter, so if you prefer the edge in defense I can see the basis for this arguement. What about what stats can’t quantify though…And I mean how they individually call a game and handle the pitching staff as opposed to just arm strength?

• That’s the biggest thing in Moeller’s favor: the fact that he knows this staff from his stints with the big league club in ’08 and earlier this year. He caught 3 Burnett games back in May/June, and he’s caught Hughes and Pettitte before. Several of the relievers as well (including down at Scranton).

Still, though, I’d like to see Rivera at work. He’s got a great defensive rep, and Moeller did once as well but has slowed down noticeably.

6. Guest says:

I agree. We all want to see him up here. But let’s let him catch some games in a playoff atmosphere and get at-bats everyday. His marginal positive impact on the Yanks (who *cough* lead the majors in runs scored *cough*) is not worth slowing down his development.

Barring any setbacks, he should be with the big club in 2011 (likely on Openning Day).

Let’s just be patient. G-d willing, we will be watching him mash for a longtime. We can wait a few more months.

7. Ghost says:

In honesty, I’m not soi clear n how his years of cost control would work if he was called up in september instead of next year, if could up, wouldn’t it start the clock on him early?

• Yup. While the Yankees aren’t financially handicapped to the point where we can’t afford to bring a kid up before a certain date, there’s still nothing wrong with delaying Montero’s free agency by a year and getting that extra year of team control.

It’ll be useful down the road when we give him a Cano contract and buy out his arb years and a year or two of FA.

I bet we don’t see Jesus until next June.

• Ghost says:

Yeah I thought it would but thanks for clearing that up, and considering this I wouldn’t expect to see him in June also so they could retain that year of extra control. And Geez, I have to start re reading before sending because my post above needed serious spell check.

8. Yay for Romulo! I was afraid he’d be left behind, Kirk Cameron-style, to help Scranton compete for a title.

With Melancon, McAllister, Nova, Sanchez, and Albaladejo all removed from SWB’s pitching staff recently (and only Phelps/Pendelton and now Mitchell joining the corps so far), I’m curious to see how well they perform. That’s a lot of quality arms that disappeared.

• pat says:

I’m pumped to see Romulo again. Still can’t beleive the Pirates wanted HAcker so bad they gave us a 24 year old who can touch high 90′s and has pretty good off speed stuff.

9. T-Dubs says:

If Moeller gets called up, does Romine get promoted to do a C/DH tandem with the Jesus for the playoffs? Or does Rivera get moved to Scranton and Romine starts every game in the Eastern League playoffs?

10. Andrew Brotherton says:

Can’t we still use the Nick Johnson slot if they somehow decided to bring up Montero?