Sep

Mattingly to take over as Dodgers’ manager in 2011

According to more reports than I care to cite, former Yankees’ manager Joe Torre will step down as Dodgers’ manager after the season and hand the reigns off to former Yankee megastar Don Mattingly. Donnie Baseball has basically zero managerial experience at any level, but he was always considered a candidate to manage the Yanks at some point in the future. In the unlikely scenario that has the team looking for a replacement for Joe Girardi after the season, Mattingly is no longer an option.

Mattingly will get his managerial feet wet this offseason with the Phoenix Desert Dogs of the Arizona Fall League next month. Among the players on his roster: Yankee farmhands Austin Romine, Brandon Laird, Corban Joseph, George Kontos, and Craig Heyer. Please don’t break them.

Categories : Asides

1. BigBlueAL says:

I wish Mattingly all the best. Although I fear this will not end well for him.

2. thurdonpaul says:

I also wish Donnie all the best, maybe 3 to 5 years from now after Joe G. moves on Donnie will be experienced enough to replace him.
    Good Luck Donnie !!

3. bob says:

all the best donnie hope to see u nov 2011

4. bexarama says:

I really do wish him all the best.

5. A.D. says:

Whatever article I read about this went ahead and noted two times he’s had to stand in for Torre and screwed up (lineup card & Broxton 2 visits)

6. TOMACONDA says:

I hope he brings the Dodgers to the series against the Yankees next year and loses in 7 games and is seen secretly fist pumping in Jersey Shore fashion in the managers office wearing a Yankee cap!

Dream’d

7. Mike HC says:

I hope he does well. But the jury is obviously still out. I’m happy we can find out if he can manage at all on the Dodgers, rather than the Yanks.

8. Cy Pettitte says:

ot, but Mike, did you see the Indians claimed Huffman

9. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

I kind of hope Mattingly never manages the Yankees. Drafted in 79, retired in 95, coached 2004-07….0 championships. Let that jinx manage elsewhere.

/kidding’d

10. Nice says:

Just like Torre to bail out on a bad situation, yet he cried and whined about loyalty when the yanks bailed out on his deteriorated managing skills.

Look for Mr Green Tea to return to the Mets in 2011.

Just like Stengel and Yogi and Randolph, our ex coaches/managers end up with the Mets.

11. seimiya says:

Somewhere, Jonathan Broxton is holding his arm and weeping in joy.

• Ray the Anti-Handle says:

Mattingly: “Thanks, Joe! That bullpen advice is great!”

Somewhere, Jonathan Broxton is holding his arm and weeping in pain.

12. Chris says:

Does this mean Scott Proctor can finally come out of hiding?