Oct

Game 160: Just a tune-up

(AP Photo/Charles Krupa)

The Yankees are technically still alive in the AL East race, very much alive in fact, because both they and the Rays sport 94-65 records. Since Tampa won the season series and holds the tiebreaker, the Yanks need to win one more game than them this weekend, a tie is as good a a loss. Since the Rays are playing the frickin’ Royals, that’s not likely.

Either way, this weekend’s series against the Red Sox is really nothing more than a tune-up before the playoffs. The pitchers have to get some work in, the batters make sure they stay sharp at the plate, and most importantly everyone needs to stay healthy. It’s been raining all day in Boston, so the game is likely to be delayed a bit, but please, for the love of Mo, no one slip on the wet grass. Especially Andy.

Here’s the lineup, which makes me smile…

Jeter, SS
Granderson, CF
Teixeira, 1B
A-Rod, 3B
Cano, 2B
Swisher, RF
Posada, C
Berkman, DH
Gardner, LF

And on the bump, it’s Andy Pettitte.

Like I said, it’s been raining all day and the game probably won’t get underway until 8-8:30pm ET or so. Whenever it does, you’ll be able to watch on YES My9 locally or MLB Network nationally. If you’re looking for something to kill the time, the Mets are running out the clock on the Omar Minaya/Jerry Manuel era against the Nats, and there’s also some preseason hockey going on (Rangers-Senators). Enjoy.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Will (the other one) says:

So once his reign of terror is over, will Minaya drop back down to a scouting role, or will he (blindly) hold out for another GM job? If it’s the former, I wonder how he’d get along with Billy Eppler.

2. first time long time says:

isn’t it on my 9? and since we have the “A line-up” tonight, do we get the scrubs out there tomorrow?

3. larryf says:

Joe playing for the division for as long as he can. A little nervous about outfield slippage.

4. Zanath says:

A relaxing game against the Red Sox. Who knew that would be possible?

5. CS Yankee says:

Pettitte should be pushed back to tomorrow’s game…run out superNova or Brackman.

6. Dream of Electric Sheep says:

Gintober ! Where Buster Posey will smite his opponent with impunity and There will be no mutiny when Cain toes the rubber!

Tonight is the night!

7. first time long time says:

ok which would you guys rather for tonight: pettitte goes 7 ip 1 er and the yankees lose ot pettitter gives up 7 runs in like 5 inning but the yankees win?

8. Jose the Satirist says:

The Padres-Giants game should be fun. A do or die game for the Padres.

• Zanath says:

Is that game on MLB Network? I kinda wanna flip back and forth.

• Jose the Satirist says:

The guide says at 10:30 pm: San Diego Padres @ San Francisco Giants or Arizona D-backs @ Los Angeles Dodgers (subject to local blackout)

• Carlosologist says:

San Diego needs a freaking miracle if they expect to go to the postseason. The Giants have been on fire all month and they’re throwing their second best pitcher out there.

San Diego: Done. Biggest collapse since the 2007-2008 Mets.

• first time long time says:

“San Diego’s got to be one of, if not the best team out there. I have a feeling this is San Diego’s year. I would honestly fear them the most in the post season. They just do not lose! Ever! I definitely think they’re gona walk away with the NL West, maybe even the best record in the NL.”
        - Mike Francesa LITERALLY the day before they started their 10 game losing streak and pretty much melt down.
        No joke.

• Jose the Satirist says:

If you called him up he would deny every saying that or claim that everyone believed what he was saying and everyone got it wrong.

• bexarama says:

Heh, to be fair, I thought, before that crazy losing streak, all of that, just a little more moderated. Though I didn’t think it was “their year” or what have you .This was before Philly started never losing games, too.

• bexarama says:

No way is San Diego’s collapse worse than the Tigers’ last year.

• Dirty Pena says:

In the words of fabled Mr. Green:

They are who we thought they were.

9. bonestock94 says:

Cool, new commenting features. The only thing this place lacks are some formatting buttons…bold, quote, italics, strikethrough, etc. I fail at using tags, and they’re not as convenient anyways.

10. poster on another computer who happens to be a deuce bag says:

I’m k9ind of surprised you find this so hopeless. We only need to win one more fucking game. So they’re playing the Royals; not lke they’ve been playing well lately anyway.

11. Dirty Pena says:

Beltre is out for the weekend due to the birth of a kid.

12. first time long time says:

does anyone know if they happened to mention how long the rain delay would most likely be? and do they still start Pettitte even though there is inclement weather? not quite sure if it would be the best for his back, you know?

13. Big Stein says:

Is it better to win HFA and face cliff lee or to win the wild card face the twinkes, who are 2-14 versus the Yankee during the past two years?

• first time long time says:

2-14 against us…well they gotta win sometime right? kind of an advantage for them if you think about it. my vote: neither. just skip to the ALCS cus we’re that good.

• Dirty Pena says:

just skip to the ALCS

Couldn’t his question have applied to the ALCS?

• Carcillo says:

If they face either in the ALCS, that means their biggest competition and worst matchup is eliminated.

In that case, assuming the Yankees win their series, I’ll take Texas/Minnesota without a second of thought.

• Dirty Pena says:

Well, it’s still who would you prefer of those two. My answer: depends on Hamilton. If he’s feeling the effects of injury/time off, I’d rather face Texas. If he’s playing like himself, I’d rather face Minnesota.

Errrr, not really.

• Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Blog says:

Exactly. Although, IMO, the 2-14 record from the past has no bearing on this year either.

• first time long time says:

they way i was looking at it is kinda like this: if a guy vs pettitte is 0-14, then you think of it this way: 0-14? well he’s gotta get a hit sometime right? kinda like its easier to break a losing streak or break a winning streak than extend either one, you know?

• Carcillo says:

Why do people always mention Lee in regards to Texas, and not Liriano in regards to Minnesota?

Though Liriano certainly isn’t going into the playoffs pitching at peak form.

I think the Twins are a better overall team and home field is always a plus, especially since Texas is the worst road team in the AL playoffs, and as bad as that sweep earlier this month was, remember Ron Washington will not be able to use 15 guys in the bullpen this time around. That, and the Yankees can’t possibly match their 5-30 (or was it 6-30?) mark with RISP. If Texas pitching is as bad as it was in those first two games come the playoffs, the Yankees will ROLL the Rangers. Historically, the Yankees have done well against the Twins, but in a five game series in the playoffs where they have the HF edge, anything can happen. Even with Cliff Lee, give me Texas.

That said, I expect a Yankees/Twins ALDS. Not the end of the world either.

• Dirty Pena says:

Because Lee has pitched well against the Yankees in the playoffs. That’s the only reason. Most Yankee fans only know/care about what happens in games the Yankees are involved in.

• first time long time says:

fun fact: the last time the yanks faced the twins in the ALDS they won the world series.

• bexarama says:

Because Liriano doesn’t have Lee’s rep.

• Ben says:

Lee also isn’t going to give away many free bases. Liriano’s BB/9 is almost two full walks higher than Lee’s. With the Yankees’ patience, I’d much rather face the pitcher that may have some control issues.

14. Ben says:

Boston just announced the Buchholz isn’t making his start tomorrow because of back issue. It’ll be Wakefield instead. Nice little break for the Yankees.

15. Dominik says:

So, while we wait for this baby to start up (I live 2 miles from Fenway, and it’s only a light drizzle, so I’m optimistic), can anyone help with some fantasy advice I’ve been stressing over? I have 8.1 IP left in my league, and have about 7 SPs slated to go tomorrow for when I blow out my innings (day you go over, doesn’t matter if you go over by 1 IP or 30). I have Cain going tonight. If he goes over 8 IP, I’m toast. Would you guys risk losing the great start to have the guys available tomorrow? Basically, question boils down to what do you think odds are he goes over 8.0 IP tonight. Even if everything goes right tomorrow, it’ll be close in some categories, which is why I’m analyzing it so hard. Thanks guys.

• Jose the Satirist says:

I don’t think the Padres will go down quietly tonight. I don’t think he goes over 8.0 IP

• Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Blog says:

Man, you couldn’t have made up a worse scenario. 2 mostly bad hitting teams, with a good pitcher. I guess the odds are with any pitcher that they won’t go more than 8. Depending on what you need to gain this late in the season, I’d roll the dice that he wont go more than 8.

16. bexarama says:

Good for AJ.

on his season:
    “Rubbish,” he said. “That’s how I would describe it. I’m here for a reason and I ain’t done crap to help this team this year. Yeah, Rubbish, man. That’s my own opinion and that’s how I feel but I don’t sit and dwell on it. I know the season’s not over but in my mind, I’m moving forward. every start I try to move forward.”

and on if a 2009-WS-Game-2-esque performance in the postseason would erase that:
    No chance,” he said. “We ain’t erasing nothing. I know that.

17. vin says:

The Yankees have Robinson Cano hitting 5th. The Braves have Melky hitting 5th. Yikes. At least hit Alex Gonzalez 5th.

18. Kit says:

So I officially felt bad for the Padres today. Late to the pity party: me.

• bexarama says:

I’ve felt bad for them for a while. I’ve talked to some Padres fans on Twitter though, and though they’re disappointed in the final result, obviously, they don’t feel like this season was in any way a failure. I mean, no one, themselves included, thought they’d do ANYTHING this year.

Also, Mat Latos’ comments about the Giants made me super roll my eyes and not feel so bad for the Padres any more. Cry moar!

• Kit says:

What was the Latos comment?

And I just felt bad because they were like 6.5 up on their division and now they’re kind of really out of it, unless a miracle happens. I don’t think their season was a disappointment, it’s just unfortunate, so I felt bad.

Latos on the Giants:

“Baseball works in funny ways. The only way I could honestly put it is, we could be like the Giants and go and change our whole lineup, put guys with ‘San Francisco Giants’ across their jerseys. We didn’t. We added two guys (Miguel Tejada and Ryan Ludwick). We’ve been the same team all year. We haven’t just gone and grabbed guys from other teams.”

Like I said, cry moar.

• Carlosologist says:

He essentially said the Giants were a bunch of hired guns.

Here’s the story: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/.....#038;tsp=1

And to make Latos look like an idiot, his closer, first baseman, second baseman, shortstop, center fielder, right fielder, and three out of his four rotation mates all came from different organizations.

• Carlosologist says:

I did not pity the Padres because to be honest I was tired of the media overhyping them in July and August.

• Dirty Pena says:

If this is a pity party, allow me to be the asshole everyone hates. I’m glad the Padres fell apart. Their lineup sucks, they play the most boring style of baseball possible, the thought of playoff games being played in a stadium with walls a mile deep makes me shudder, they have no exciting personalities, hell, even their uniforms bore me. There, I said it. Good riddance, dads.

(high fives Dirty Pena)

• bexarama says:

Heh, I was watching a Padres game and I realized they played like the mid-2000s Angels. But because they’re new and cute and scrappy and not managed by Mike Scisocia, I can deal with it.

• first time long time says:

i dont get it. why is the media and all of baseball in love with Mike Scocia? i mean, hes not terrible but he isnt exactly casey stengal you know?

• Kit says:

I can honestly say I know squat diddly about the Padres line up (other than their uniforms being so ugly). Like I’ve said before, I have no actual allegiance to a NL team. I just thought it was unfortunate for them to have really been ahead of their division and suffer a massive collapse that has them 3 games back now.

• Jerome S says:

At the times when I begin to the Padres, I think back to the time that they had a .600 record and I was almost scared of them.

• Mariano's Pimp Hand says:

The Padres’ success in the first half kept Adrian Gonzalez from going to the Red Sawks at the trade deadline.

That is enough for me.

19. bexarama says:

I’m rooting for the Padres to sweep the Giants this weekend, and the Phillies to take 2/3 from Atlanta. This creates a MASSIVE TIE SCENARIO!!!! and then there’s not one but TWO one-game playoffs. Awe.some.

20. first time long time says:

so does everyone have a national league team they like to root, just for the fun of it? for me, i like the giants and braves. anyone else?

• Jose the Satirist says:

Natinals Fever – Catch it.

/tsjc

• Dirty Pena says:

For me, the Nats (having gone to college in DC), the Braves (my good friend likes them and that’s grown on me), and the Rockies have grown on me the past few years.

• bexarama says:

Rockies. I also have a soft spot for the Astros because I love their bad ’80s uniforms and there is some leftover rooting for Pettitte.

…ialsodontmindthephilliespleasedontkillme

• first time long time says:

lol….i just lost a little respect for you on that last line, not gona lie. lol may i just ask you why? im not trying to be rude or anything because i respect your opinions, im just honestly curious as to why you like the phillies, thats all. in case you haven’t noticed i have an irrational hatred towards them and their fans lol.

• Dirty Pena says:

…The hatred towards their fans is perfectly reasonable. The second most annoying fan base easily.

The most annoying?

Three way tie between Yankee/Red Sox/Mets fans.

/YeahIsaidit’d

• first time long time says:

lol cant say i disagree with you there.

• poster on another computer who happens to be a deuce bag says:

Totally DISagree. philly fans are way less classy thn Yankees fans, at least. Can’t speak for Red Sox and Mets.

• bexarama says:

Philly fans are way less classy but they’re also less panicky and spoiled in general than Yankee fans. Mets fans are kind of hilarious, even if some are really annoying in their Yankee hate, and Red Sox fans… well, the pre-2004 ones are generally fine, if neurotic, but the post-2004 bandwagoners are pretty much the worst baseball fans out there.

• poster on another computer who happens to be a deuce bag says:

One of my theories is all fans are the same, we just suspect them to have certain biases because of their team and we fit our view of them to our preconceived notions.

I’ll takes “class” over “spoiled and panicky” any day, BTW. I’d rather be an idiot than a dick.

• first time long time says:

first annoying being…? and yeah i hear there are always fights going on at their turf and stuff. kind of unclassy. they seem pretty arrogant and obnoxious too

• bexarama says:

I don’t like their fans much (my friends who are Philly fans aside), but I went to college in PA a few hours from Philly. My friends and I took a few road trips there over the time I was there, and we went to Citizens Bank Park a few times. I just had a really fun time at all the games I went to.

I don’t like Rollins for what he said in the WS last year, and Werth looks like he smells, but I have no real problem with the rest of that team.

• first time long time says:

“werth looks like he smells” haha thats hilarious. he is extremely disgusting though.

and ok those are valid reasons. i respect that.

• poster on another computer who happens to be a deuce bag says:

Sorry, Bex. I didn’t give 2 shits about the Philies until Jimmy Rollins opened his mouth andstarted talking about the Yankees.

Now I hate those arrogant NL jerkasses.

• poster on another computer who happens to be a deuce bag says:

Dammit I can’t get used to this spellcheck button.

• Kit says:

I think Rollins learned his lesson. It’s time to forgive until he says something stupid again.

• poster on another computer who happens to be a deuce bag says:

…No?

Sorry. He never apologized to my knowledge, so why on Earth should we forgive him?

(Not saying he even necessarily should have apologized, but I tink Yankee fans have excellent grounds for disliking Jimmy Rollins a great deal.)

• first time long time says:

though i dont know him personally, it seems to me like Jimmy Rollins is a bit cocky and should learn to keep his mouth shut.

• Kit says:

You don’t have to forgive him, I really don’t care what you want to do with that, but he hasn’t done anything this year and has mostly been injured, so I think karma has repaid him for all the douche bag.

• poster on another computer who happens to be a deuce bag says:

THINK. Not tink. Ugh.

• bexarama says:

Hah, totally fair. I used to flat-out like the Phillies. PLEASE DON’T KILL ME. Now I’m just kind of “I don’t mind them.” What Rollins said during last year’s WS was stupid and assy, no doubt. I don’t like him much at all.

• Carlosologist says:

San Francisco mostly because of AT&T Park. The pitching is amazing out there too.

• poster on another computer who happens to be a deuce bag says:

Pittsburgh. I don’t give a shit about the perpetual losing, they’re just an old, established franchise that for some reason I’ve taken a shine too. Their ballpark’s great too.

• first time long time says:

yeah i like their ballpark too. i really have a thing for ball parks near the water that have that “splash count” thing for the homeruns, you know?

• Kit says:

I don’t actually have any sort of allegiance to NL teams, but I watch any Phillies games on TV when I’m in the mood for zen baseball. Don’t want them to get to the WS at all, but they’re a generally good team.

• Jerome S says:

SF, Mostly because of Willie Mays lol.

• Carcillo says:

Absolutely the Rockies for me. I don’t mind the Marlins, but given what happened in 2003, I could never consider myself a fan of theirs in any capacity.

21. Ben says:

Chen retires the side in order in the first. Nice start.

22. Ben says:

Wow, the Rays should have had a triple play. Instead KC leads 1-0.

lol what happened?

• Cy Pettitte says:

Rays have been so sloppy against KC

• Ben says:

Actually, the Rays did nothing wrong in this case. First and second, nobody out, for Billy Butler. Runner from second breaks on the pitch, and Butler hits a grounder back to the mound. The Rays turn the 1-6-3 DP, but the runner on second tries to come all the way around to score. Pena was ready for it, and made a good throw to the plate. Shoppach missed the tag, but the runner (Blanco) missed the plate, and was called safe even though Shoppach tagged him afterwards.

23. Kit says:

So I barely ever contribute to rain-delay fun, so I thought this might be a nice fun game (I could be wrong though, don’t kill me):

If you were a baseball player, what would you pick as an AB song /warm up song?

My choice: Mobb Deep’s – Shock Ones Part II because I randomly enjoy gangsta rap and the lyrics, “you’re minor, we’re major you all up in the game and don’t deserve to be a player don’t make me have to call your name out your crew is featherweight” amuse me (and remind me of Tampa because I’m mean).

24. first time long time says:

any word on when the games probably gona start?

25. first time long time says:

ok heres a fun game: if you could date any 3 current players in the MLB or minors, who would they be? [if theres an awkward age difference, pretend you are his age]

26. Hall and Nokes says:

Can’t the Phillies all pull their groins as they inexplicably send out the A team against Atlanta?

• Carlosologist says:

It pisses me off that the Phillies are the best team in baseball.

• Carcillo says:

The 2008-09 offseason must’ve been torture.

At least you aren’t a Giants fan, in that case. The Eagles beating the Giants in the playoffs a few months later would’ve sent a youngin like you off a cliff.

/overstated’d

• Carlosologist says:

Haha, I didn’t really start devoting my time to baseball until this season. But that offseason must have been hell, considering the Yankees had missed the playoffs and the controversy surrounding the New Stadium and whatnot.

• IOI says:

An offseason where your team signs the three best free agents is never “hell”

• Carlosologist says:

My favorite lines from that offseason:

“CC wants to hit and stay on the West Coast!”
              “Teixeira is a Red Sock, no doubt about.”
              “BURNETT OVER LOWE!!!!1″(in retrospect, neither would have worked out)

• bexarama says:

I remember being in a taxi in NYC when the radio reported the Tex to NYY news and I almost shrieked out loud. Then when I got out of the taxi I was basically like, dancing around, and I saw a person in a Yankee hat (of course I did) and I wanted to run up to him and yell “WE GOT TEX!!!!” but I did not. Haha.

• first time long time says:

is the atlanta game on tv by any chance?

27. Carlosologist says:

Apparently Dallas Braden will be providing “analysis” on MLBN during the postseason.

I can’t wait to see what he has to say about A-Rod as he pummels the best pitching in baseball.

• Hall and Nokes says:

He’s running too close to my booth!

• first time long time says:

dallas braden is so cocky. i mean could you imagine if, say, phil hughes reacted the way he did to someone running across his mound? the media would do the exact opposite: bash hughes while not making a big deal out of someone running across the mound. so dumb

• Big Stein says:

this has to do with the media’s hate of ARod.

If Braden had done that to Youklis or Pedroia the media would have freaked out and painted Braden as a loon, instead of some sort of hero.

• Kit says:

I think the reactions were more a mixed bag than anything else. Some applauded him, some just thought it was amusing (which was the right reaction, IMO).

• first time long time says:

yeah i feel he acted like a clown, especcially when he was on letterman and what he said about arod…i mean just drop it you know? i think arod acted appropriately though, didnt really say anything kinda just “waved him off” and went about his business

28. wifi guy says:

KC up 3-0 on Rays :D

29. Big Stein says:

Any word when the game starts?

30. tom says:

OK, I say call the game. It’s too late already, with no guarantee it won’t be hours more; the Yankees have had nothing but bad luck on these rain-delayed nights; there’s no way the field’ll be anything but hazardous till tomorrow, putting multiple players (esp. one Andrew Pettitte) in jeopardy.

I assume part of the reason for hesitating in cancellation is the damn Fox game tomorrow, meaning if they played a double-header, it’d run real late. (Later than this?) But why not put it off till Sunday? That way, if the Rays have mathematically clinched the division, Joe can play a SWB roster in Game 2.

• Ben says:

I think they’re waiting it out because I doubt either team wants to play a DH at this point. LIke you said, I think the DH would be Sunday, and not Saturday.

• Dirty Pena says:

Or the fact that the Red Sox don’t give a shit about the Yankees related problems you’ve presented.

31. Ben says:

KC (Betancourt) really let Shields off the hook there.

32. first time long time says:

whos worse: tim mccarver or joe morgan? i think mccarver only because i can tolerate joe morgan going on obsessively about robinson cano lol.

33. Hall and Nokes says:

Are they going to play this or not? I’ll be honest, I’m not too enthused about having to play a doubleheader with the Sawx right now.

34. Kyrnan says:

people here at my job are saying the yanks are purposely trying to lose so they don’t have to play texas. do you think there’s any truth to this. i think it’s b.s. if anything the rays seem like they’re the ones trying to lose lately.

• FIPster Doofus says:

Of course there’s no truth to it. Every AL playoff team has sputtered recently. Plus, they’re the Yankees; they fear no one.

• first time long time says:

i dont think they’re “trying to lose” i just think they’re kinda relaxing that way they’re rested for the playoffs at least. a true championship should be able to defeat whomever they face in the postseason. there should be no preferences.

• Carlosologist says:

Texas is the weakest of all four AL playoff teams. They have to start on the road, where they’ve been among the worst in the AL. If the Yankees play against them, I’m banking on the Yanks winning 3-2. Lee beats them in Game 1 and 4, and the Yanks win Games 2, 3, and 5, with the do-or-die game in the Bronx.

• Ben says:

In all probability Lee is not going to be starting on three days rest. Ron Washington left the door open, but he seemed relatively certain at the same time. Based on what happened in the WS last year, and how quickly Washington changed his mind about the three man rotation, I’m guessing Lee just isn’t comfortable doing it.

It’s been confirmed Hunter’s their Game 4 starter, not Lee on short rest

• Dirty Pena says:

Question: This isn’t directed specifically at you, so anyone can answer, but why does every potential Cliff Lee start get chalked up as a win for Texas? I mean I realize he’s excellent, but last I checked, he’ll be facing someone who’s, at worst, close to Lee.

• Carlosologist says:

I think the Game 1 of the World Series is still stuck in my mind, but then I remembered Game 5 and two of his three starts against us this season. So he’s not exactly a guaranteed win, as we’ll probably be throwing Sabathia in Game 4.

• Kit says:

Lee is generally a good pitcher. He doesn’t give up many walks or runs because he has great control. He’s not a guaranteed win all the time, but let’s face it, when he sucked it was because he was injured (and we may have been the team that injured him…) The only games we lost in the world series last year were his doing and he out-pitched CC in one game and then AJ in the other.

35. poster on another computer who happens to be a deuce bag says:

4-0 KC

36. first time long time says:

anyone else watching the jersey shore after hours right now? is it just me or does it look like vinny’s wearing lip gloss? lol

37. Operation Killer B's says:

Anyone else see the Chop threw 3 perfect innings tonight while striking out 6 against the marlins in relief of Dan McCutchen

38. Hall and Nokes says:

Seriously, can any of you believe that Melky is hitting 5th in a playoff contender’s lineup?

39. Yo Quiero Montero (formerly LarryF) says:

Watching Rays game. Rays lead baseball in walks and strikeouts. Last to do that were the 2002 Yanks.

The Royals Cf’er Jarrod Dyson might be faster than Gardy.

40. first time long time says:

this waiting around is driving me nuts

41. dkidd in sunny los angeles says:

big game james proving once again that nicknames are silly

42. Jerome S says:

The heavy biblical rains are over now in Boston, and they’re not returning. What, you can’t play in a light drizzle?!

43. bexarama says:

Supposedly the game’s starting at 10. Uh…

44. FIPster Doofus says:

Bruce Chen: True Ace

45. Jerome S says:

Bruce Chen one-hitting the Rays??

46. Carcillo says:

The Royals are doing the Yankees an incredible service thus far in their series.

9 outs to Soria, a variant of my favorite game within each game.

47. bexarama says:

It’s pouring again at Fenway and no one’s in the bullpen, including Andy. So… probably not 10.

48. mustang says:

Does anyone have any idea if and when they will play?

49. Carcillo says:

The Rays sure are playing like shit in all facets.

For most of the year, it looked like they were going to post their best record in franchise history. If tonight’s score holds, 2008 can take a sigh or relief, since the Rays of 2010 couldn’t possibly match their record then.

50. tom says:

I just want to put in the record that, once he heard there were potential rain issues tonight, Girardi should have pushed Pettitte to tomorrow. The guy’s already dealing with a vulnerable back. Having him out there on a rain-soaked field is asking for trouble.

If Nova’s supposed to pitch a game anyway, why not tonight?

51. Zanath says:

So is 10 the official start time?

52. Jose the Satirist says:

Rollins hit a GS against Mike Dunn.

• Accent Shallow says:

I thought there was a non-zero chance that Dunn turns into Billy Wagner. (He still might)

I was bummed to swap him for Logan (I was wrong there. Even if Dunn eventually figures it out, Logan has been very useful)

53. Scooter says:

Update from KC: 5-0 Royals, bottom of the 6th. Chen has a two-hitter

• Little Bill says:

Tampa is in bad shape. Girardi needs to go all out to sweep this series and get HFA.

• Scooter says:

All I want from this weekend:
        - no injuries
        - Andy Pettitte throws 5 solid innings
        - AJ is solid

And it’s now 7-0 KC

• first time long time says:

aj is prone to meltdowns in Fenway. i remember: my first memory of AJ was watching that infamous start at fenway in august last year where he gave up like 8 runs and made it appear that he was yelling at jorge. oooh the memories. lol

• Kit says:

Yelling at Jorge seems like a bad idea in all way, shapes and forms, so I chose to think that AJ has some sort of self-preservation instincts and knows enough to avoid getting into a fight with our angriest player.

• first time long time says:

i never really understood that incident though. was he yelling at himself or at jorge?
              speaking of jorge being angry,, my favorite memory of last year other than the playoffs was the brawl between the blue jays lol

• bexarama says:

He was yelling at himself but he was apparently saying “Why would you throw that pitch?!” so people took it to mean he was mad at Posada.

• Kit says:

That Blue Jays fight was so stupid. I hate bench clearing brawls where the Yankees are involved. It just leads to injuries/ejections and fines, and I’d rather not have it. That being said, the Blue Jays learned a valuable lesson there.

About the AJ/Jorge incident, I don’t know who AJ was yelling at but it seemed to be their “falling out”. Still don’t understand what happened there, but I’m sure they resolved it.

• first time long time says:

yeah everyone in the clubhouse seems to get along really well, or it appears that way at least.

anyway as for the brawl, i agree with what your saying but i found it to be very entertaining, especially because of how much i hate that stupid team with their stupid players and stupid country. lol

• bexarama says:

That Jays fight was so dumb. I love Posada to absolute pieces and brawls are always entertaining, but I don’t know why he did that. The Yankees all but had the division won at that point, and the Jays were TOTALLY out of it, and he basically just risked someone getting hurt.

• Kit says:

I can’t even remember who the Jays pitcher was that day, but I remember that huge bruise on his head and I was just thinking, “What the hell are you doing, guys? This is pointless.” Tex looked angry as hell and I was kind of “Swoon!” though, not going to lie.

• first time long time says:

it was some “nobody” but i remember he threw a pitch either inside at jorge, behind his back, or actually hit him and jorge was furious. kinda a pointless brawl but still entertaining. the best part was the way michael kay was doing the play by play. “and jorge scores. and now he has something to say to [insert pitcher's name here] AND NOW THEY’RE GOING AT IT!” or something like that. still funny though

• whozat says:

I’d rather have Swisher’s knee in better shape than “go all out” and play him in the field for the next three days. I’d rather have Andy pitch 5 healthy innings tomorrow than send him out in the cold and rain after a 3 hour delay tonight.

• tom says:

As bad as our guys have been of late, Tampa almost seems to want the division less.

All the people giving credit to the Red Sox for not completely disappearing in the standings — they’d have to have been Royals/Mariners level bad to have lost ground in the last two months. That they couldn’t get closer says they really haven’t been worth much.

54. first time long time says:

story that relates to why pitcher win-loss is a bad statistic:
    i asked a friend one day why he hated brian bruney so much (i had no idea who bruney was at the time lol) and he said something along the lines of how the yanks were winning by like 2 or 3 runs, bruney comes in and gives up the lead putting the yankees down by like 1 or 2. next half inning, the yankees score some runs and end up winning. Brian Bruney ended up getting the win.

exactly why win-loss says nothing about pitcher’s ability

55. Jerome S says:

Two consecutive nights without baseball?!
    The offseason is going to be tough.

56. first time long time says:

lol post game show should be on in 7 min and game hasnt even started ye tlol

57. blazer says:

So is this game happening or what? And 7-0 KC is awesome. Game 7 ALCS here I come!

58. first time long time says:

not sure if ive asked this before but do you guys think that robertson has the potential to be a closer?

59. Carcillo says:

I hope Big Game James enjoyed his final start of 2010.

60. Dirty Pena says:

Can someone explain why they want the game called? Do people have plans at 2 AM that they don’t have at 1 AM?

61. HotCarl says:

Odd sidenote; Javy is 25 ks behind Moyer for the active leader (Andy is third). Javy, Andy, CC and AJ are all in the top 13.

62. Reggie C. says:

AND THE HITS TO THE G-MEN KEEP ON COMING!

Mathias Kiwanuka has been diagnosed with a bulging cervical (in the neck) disk. Recovery takes 2-3 months. Kiwanuka lead the team in sacks. I’m really disappointed and i can’t lie … this is a big blow to the pass rush.

The JPP era will begin on Sunday. The rook better bring it.

• Scooter says:

ugh…. just keeps getting better, doesn’t it?

JPP and Joseph both need to step it up on the line – I know Canty can play a little DE, so Joseph could slide in at DT to clog it up against the run.

O-line looks really bad and really old, too

63. Carcillo says:

Tip of the cap to Bruce Chen.

Simply superb tonight.

64. Jose the Satirist says:

Padres game started for anyone who cares.

65. first time long time says:

anyone know if its still raining in boston? i dont think its raining that much in the tri-state area anymore

• Carlosologist says:

A link above said that the storm system should pass through Boston at 11. I still think they’ll play.

• Jose the Satirist says:

That radar has a future button. Don’t know how accurate it is as a predictor.

• Scooter says:

The “Present” projects until about 2:30 AM – looks like light showers pretty late.

Looking at the Weather Underground map, there’s rain down in Providence that could end up over Boston. The original forecast said clearing after midnight.

I just don’t see why you bother playing tonight

Chen is 2 outs away from…. HIS FIRST CAREER SHUTOUT

66. Scooter says:

8 shutout innings from Chen – he’s at 93 pitches

67. Tom Zig says:

Where the hell did the real Bruce Chen go?

68. Scooter says:

Some WEEI guy just tweeted this:

If the Sox players have left the dugout, that sounds like the game will be called

69. Carcillo says:

Hah. Twinkie implosion in the 8th.

Jays finally get their token home run, #19 for Encarnacion. 6-2 Jays.

70. byron says:

i live in roxbury, just south of boston. it’s been drizzling on and off for a while now.

71. mustang says:

Its Friday near Fenway Park with the number of bars around that place this delay can go on forever or at least to 2am.

Wish I was there.

• Scooter says:

At the Cask and Flagon with your Yankee stuff on at 2 AM? Yeah that would be fun

I almost had a drunk woman take a poke at me in a bar in Beacon Hill b/c I had a NY Rangers jersey on

2 out for Chen

72. Jose the Satirist says:

This Padres game is already insane.

73. Tom Zig says:

Bruce Chen for Cy Young!

74. first time long time says:

ugh these people need to make up their minds. if there’s no game i wana go to bed but if they’re gona play ill stay awake. i dont wana stay awake for another hour only to find out that its postponed

75. Scooter says:

First complete game shutout for Chen… wow

76. Carcillo says:

First fucking place!

77. bexarama says:

Game postponed. It’s gonna be part of a doubleheader tomorrow at 9:05 PM.

78. Scooter says:

Postponed, guys

DH tomorrow

79. Jon says:

jeez…2 hit shutout by Chen…anyway else think the rays might in way over their head right now?

Why isnt this game postponed yet?

80. first time long time says:

dh tomorrow…god i hope they win at least one. 3 losses to the sox in 1 day=brutal

• bexarama says:

Why are you so negative of late? You seem like a really good commenter in general. What’s up with that?

• Zanath says:

All I care about is that everybody comes out of the games healthy, and that Andy and AJ pitch well. I’d like to win but if we don’t it’s not the end of the world. Would it be nice to win first? Yup. But it’s more important the key players are healthy for Wednesday.

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

This.

Going into the play-offs as the WC healthy >>>>>>>going in banged up and division winner. HFA is not worth risking injury.

If Yanks win the division and Lee beats them in Game 1, they no longer have HFA.

If they go in as WC and win either Game 1 or 2 in Minnesota, they then have HFA.

81. gargoyle says:

God do they really have to preserve the precious 4pm Fox game and start game 2 at 9pm?

I guess it beats playing 2 on Sunday.

82. Dirty Pena says:

First place baby!!!!!

83. Carcillo says:

So the Yankees go to bed tonight in first place.

The Rays go to bed tonight having fallen short of even matching their 97-65 mark of 2008. I get a really strange and probably unnatural satisfaction out of that.

84. bexarama says:

So… who’s staying up for Padres/Giants? Ludwick takes a Matt Cain offering out of the park, 1-0 Fathers.

85. Jerome S says:

What would happen if three teams tied for first place in a division w/o a wild card spot for any of the teams?

86. Carcillo says:

The Yankees divisional number is 2.

This means if they win both ends of the doubleheader, they can cap off a long, dreary day of baseball with more champagne.

How awesome that would be.

• Mike Axisa says:

The magic number for the division is three, not two. The Yanks have to sweep tomorrow and the Rays have to lose for them to clinch the division.

• Ben says:

Mike, what do you think – no way they have another clubhouse celebration, right?

• Mike Axisa says:

Oh, they’ll celebrate. They’ll celebrate like they’ve never won anything in their lives.

• Ben says:

Hmm, I don’t know. I really don’t think the veterans would allow two clubhouses celebrations in the regular season. They celebrated qualifying for the playoffs on Tuesday, and I think they would view that as enough. If the Rays won the division they would definitely celebrate, but I don’t see the Yankees doing it.

It’s not quite the same situation, but there was absolutely no celebration when they clinched a playoff berth last year. They waited till they clinched the division, limiting themselves to one celebration.

However, I hope we get to find out.

• first time long time says:

thats because last year wining the division was pretty much inevitable due to the way they were playing and their lead. or at least thats what i think anyway

• Ben says:

I agree, which is why I acknowledged that the two situations are different. I still don’t think that the people making these decisions would be OK with two regular season celebrations, but who knows.

• first time long time says:

sorry didnt see the “its not quite the same situation” my bad lol. but yeah idk im sure there would be, especially because they’ll be handed out shirts and hats and stuff

• Carcillo says:

Then ESPN’s standings are a crock of shit.

It says two.

• Ben says:

The magic number for the Yankees to clinch the division is actually three (same as the Rays). Additionally, I’m pretty much positive that they would not pop champagne in the clubhouse if they win the division.

• Bob Stone says:

That would be a dramatic and very satisfying end to the regular season, especially being at Fenway.

• Stratman9652 says:

Love how now it seems everything is just miraculously falling into place. Certainly can’t complain. Would it be too much to ask for lights out AJ to show up out of nowhere and Andy to be, well, Andy?

87. bonestock94 says:

My only real reason for wanting the Yankees to win the division is because game one will synchronize perfectly with my last test for a long time.

88. Kit says:

For anyone wanting to relieve some of the awesome from last year’s post-season, they’re giving Game 3 of the ALDS on YES right now.

• Kit says:

And of course, I meant relive

• bexarama says:

(cuddles Andy’s scruffy goodness)

• first time long time says:

i wish theyd play game 2. that one was sweet. between the arod homerun, the robertson houdini act, and the walk off that one is more of a yankees classic in my opinion.

• bexarama says:

Seriously, as much as I love Mr. Pettitte, why do they play Game 3 of last year’s ALDS instead of Game 2? (And Game 6 of the ALCS/WS instead of Game 2 of the ALCS or Game 2/3/4 of the WS?)

• first time long time says:

because they were the clinching games. my favorite games from the playoffs were alds and alcs games 2 and for the world series, in this order,:
          1. game 6
          2. game 2
          3. game 3
          4. game 4

the only reason 3 comes before 4 is that IIRC, 4 was a close game and 3 was more of an “easy” win, and close games make me too nervous lol

• Carcillo says:

But winning them is that much sweeter.

ARod beat three closers last October. Friggen amazing.

• first time long time says:

are you referring to the close games? yeah they are sweeter but think about it, if you lose thats a crushing defeat. thats all i can think about in those close games, “what if we lose?” but yeah i dont think my blood pressure can handle those close games. they give me heart attacks lol.

• Mike Axisa says:

I remember jumping so damn high off my couch when Alex hit that homer. That was absolutely amazing.

• first time long time says:

i was literally in shock…i was like omg i cant believe that just happened. lol he hit a dramatic one in the 9th inning in one of the alcs games also right?

• Mike Axisa says:

I don’t think it was the ninth inning, I think it was the 11th or some shit. The Angels took the lead in the top of the inning, A-Rod homered off Fuentes to tie it. I’m pretty sure it was two strikes, two outs too.

• first time long time says:

ohhh yeah.i remember. aceves gave up the lead, arod ties it, robertson gets out of another bases loaded 0out jam, angels screw up next inning and we won. that one was fun too. i remember arod being up and thinking, “wow there is no way hes doing that again” and then he swings the bat…boom tie game. unreal. guy doesnt get enough credit

• bexarama says:

It was an 0-2 pitch and there was nobody out, but the guys behind him were some combination of Guzman, Gardner, and other assorted crap

• poster on another computer who happens to be a deuce bag says:

THAT one made me jump and yell OH MY GOD HE TIED IT!!!!

For the first one, it was a better overall game but in a way I had not given up on the game because I knew A-Rod was raking, so when he hit the HR it was AWESOME but not TOTALLY unexpected.

The Fuentes HR was different. For whatever reason that night, I’d totally given up on the game and was giving the “can’t win ‘em all” speech to my friend when A-Rod sneas the 0-2 pitch from Fuentes overall.

Jump in the air, scream in absolute shock, and completely forget any thoughts of “being tired” and “just wanting the game to end one way or the other”.

Thank you, A-Rod.

• CBean says:

I was on a bus on my way to Washington DC and the bus was supposed to have wifi and it didn’t, so I wasn’t going to get to follow the game. I was bitter. My two friends texted me play by play for the entire game. It took them forever to get out the Alex tied it text and I kept shaking my phone going, COME ON TELL ME WHAT HAPPENED. It was awesome.

• Carcillo says:

11th inning against Brian Fuentes, in the pouring rain, on an 0-2 pitch.

With Freddy Guzman and Brett Gardner up after him.

• bexarama says:

I was in the Bronx at a family friend’s house. When Alex hit that HR (and when Tex hit the walk-off) there were just a craaaazy amount of horns going off outside. Awesome.

89. poster on another computer who happens to be a deuce bag says:

Conceivably, we can clinch tomorrow.

This end to the regular season is so motherfucking awesome in so many ways. I’m loving this shit.

• first time long time says:

if they clinch tomorrow, i will be the happiest person in the world. well maybe not, but that would be fantastic if they did though. would make me feel a lot better at least

• Carcillo says:

True, but I’m not sure much of anything can top how they clinched in 2009. Remember how much shit they clinched/accomplished by winning just that one game against the Red Sox?

Division.
      100 wins.
      Best record in AL.
      Best record in MLB.
      Tied season series after starting 0-8.

And they did it by sweeping the Red Sox right out of New York, after Ortiz said it would be great for the Red Sox to celebrate clinching the wild card in the visitor’s clubhouse at the new Stadium.

They had to take that shit back to Boston instead.

• bexarama says:

Yeah, I don’t think anything is going to top the way we clinched last year. That was freaking awesome, especially after Ortiz’s comments. Seriously, Papi, act like you’ve been there before.

• poster on another computer who happens to be a deuce bag says:

I disagree.

This year it would be better for almost precisely the reasons you mentioned.

This year, the division is a battle. It’s no easy win. We need to go into motherfucking Fenway Park and beat the Red Sox in their own house during the final season of the series just to have a shot at the division.

How fucking awesome is that?

• Carcillo says:

Both are/would be awesome. I guess it still amazes me just how much that one win did last year.

Seeing the Yankees go into Fenway to finish the season and coming back to win the division at the wire certainly has its own degrees of awesomeness.

90. Mike Axisa says:

Adrian Gonzalez is a man, he’s 40.

91. Beantown Bombers Fan says:

The Sox management should be ashamed of themselves with tonight’s debacle. It has rained hard pretty much all evening after EVERY forecast had said it would do that much. Instead of pushing back the gate opening time, knowing full well there was no way the game was gonna start at 7pm, they opened at regular time so that the fans would come in and “enjoy the atmosphere.” Fans instead got to sit around for ~4 hours, shopping, eating, spending money, etc… I understand that games get postponed, but this smacks of trying to make a quick buck off of fans. Spend, spend, spend! I’ve been to a few Yanks games where the same thing has happened. It really sucks as a fan to feel like you are getting jobbed.

92. first time long time says:

this entire season everyone has been saying “just wait until they hit/pitch on all cylinders” and they haven’t done that yet. but what if they finally do and its during the post season. HOW SICK WOULD THAT BE! WE’RE TALKING GOING 11-0 FULL ON REIGN OF TERROR!

93. Beantown Bombers Fan says:

Just saw that the Sox flipped their starters for tomorrow’s games, so it will be Andy versus Shaky Wakey and AJ versus Dice-K. That evening game is gonna be brutal.

• Little Bill says:

But we’ve gotta play the A lineup both games to sweep the series and capture HFA. Girardi has to go for the HFA now that the Rays have allowed us to control our own destiny.