Oct

Open Thread: World Series Game One

Slider, strike three. (AP Photo/David J. Phillip)

It sucks that the Yankees aren’t in the World Series this year, but what can you do. It’s the nature of the game; no matter how  good they are, they simply won’t win every year. It’s a fact of life.

The Giants and Rangers are meeting in a matchup of teams that haven’t won a World Series in their current locales (the Giants haven’t won a title since moving to San Francisco), so someone’s making history in the next week-and-a-half. I’m halfheartedly pulling for the Giants just because, though I’m really indifferent about who wins. I just hope it’s an entertaining series that goes the full seven games for what I hope are obvious reasons. If Texas dominates like they did in the ALCS, it would be a rather boring Fall Classic.

Anyway, talk about the game or whatever else you want right here in the open thread. Enjoy.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Every Yankees/Giants, even Yankees/Jets fan will appreciate this via @josh_nubz:

2. Man, Michael Clarke Duncan looks so sad in that picture.

3. I’m rooting for the Giants because the Texas Rangers franchise is historically uglier.

4. Xstar7 says:

If the giants win it will be because they listen to Eye of The Tiger once a night every night to get the determination they need to succeed!

5. bexarama says:

Giants in seven. Not easily.

6. first time lawng time says:

Anyone watching the Knicks tonight?

If so, anyone think they have a chance to make the playoffs?

7. I like the Rangers as a team and individual players on San Francisco.

I mean, CJ Wilson tweeted at me the other night and I kind of melted. And then @firstheart42 scanned Jesus pics and I really did melt.

8. The Toronto Raptors 2010-2011 season intro video montage was way more impressive than the Toronto Raptors 2010-2011 season will be.

9. JobaWockeeZ says:

If someone stole the Yankees money and they could only afford either Jeter or Lee who do you go for?

The treasured hero who is still better than 80 percent of other shortstops or go for the ace of many aces?

10. Jose the Satirist says:

So from what I have seen 95% of RAB is rooting for the Giants. Anyone here rooting for the Rangers with me? Anyone? Bueller?

• bexarama says:

I’m not rooting for anyone but I don’t get why people have been rooting for the Giants all along. I don’t find them that likable. Maybe because I’m not a Lincecum fan (yes I realize he is awesome but I do not enjoy watching him, sue me). Then again, I’m not rooting for the team that eliminated the Yankees and has that dumb antlers/claw shit going on

• first time lawng time says:

You don’t have to like a player, even if he is good. Not a big deal, to be honest.

And I’ve been rooting for the giants because I like their stadium. That’s the truth, that’s why I like them, because of their amazing stadium. Make fun if you want, but that’s my opinion.

I agree about the antler stuff, to Texans realize how dumb they look when they do that?

You’re entitled to root for whomever you want, those are just my opions.

• Kit says:

The Giants totally hooked me into their nonsense. They’re horribly flawed but have some serious magic going, and they piss me off significantly less than the Rangers have all year, especially when the Yanks had to play in Shit Narnia (Arlington). Brian Wilson terrified me like two weeks ago. I totally love him now, even with that atrocity on his face. I’m blaming this old picture of him: http://tinyurl.com/2g4q3xz

• JerseyDutch says:

I like Brian Wilson’s beard.

• Xstar7 says:

I’m definitely not rooting for the Texas Strangers.

• Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Blog says:

Yes, but not because I like the Rangers, but because I don’t like the Giants.

/it’s a “me” problem.

• rek4gehrig says:

Rooting for no-one. It’s fun watching baseball when u dont really care who wins.

11. Xstar7 says:

Am I the only one who’s going to watch the Nets game?

12. bexarama says:

I don’t hate Phillies fans like most do but it is hilarious to hear them go from “our team is the 1927 Yankees just BETTER!!!” to “this entire team needs to go, they all suck!!!”

• Jose the Satirist says:

Greatest infield of all time.

• Kit says:

What pissed me off about them was Roy Halladay (and I love Roy) talking about how Ryan Howard had approached him when he was first acquired by the Phillies and said, in regards to last year’s loss, “We have unfinished business.” Like what unfinished business? You went to the World Series and you lost. Sounds finished to me.

13. Brooklyn Ed says:

Anyone read this line from MLBTR:

Dustin Pedroia said on WEEI that he hopes the Yankees don’t sign Lee this offseason.

hmm yeah, who cares what the midget thinks.

14. first time lawng time says:

So I’m getting closer to college and am in the process of testing, visits, etc. And I’ve realized (a few hours ago) what I want to do when I grow up…I think I want to be a sports reporter/columnist, you know?

I mean I always get annoyed reading the media and those biased idiots, and I really want to change that. I’d like to be a Yankees reporter (beat writer are they called? I have no idea) or some other baseball writer and be knowledgable. IDK if this makes any sense, but basically I want to end the days of idiots like Gammons and bring up the new days of knowledgable people.

You guys are smart so I have a few questions:
    2. Any ideas on colleges that would be good for this or how to get started and stuff like this?
    3. Advice?

I know I seem dumb and juvenille on here, but I’m not, actually. I’m a fast learner, so while I may not know all of the terms and statistics (like wOBA and that stuff), I am very smart and can learn easily.

Thanks for the help.

• 1. I’m a girl, is this still OK? I mean, I don’t want people to think I’m weird, you know?

Of course. Being a girl doesn’t make you any less qualified to talk about sports, that’s silly.

Google “best broadcast journalism programs”, that’s probably a good starting point.

3. Advice?

Read as much as you can (not just sports), write as much as you can (not just sports), refuse to accept intellectual laziness (including from yourself), and most importantly, question everything (starting with your own assumptions).

• Yo Quiero Montero (formerly LarryF) says:

Just look at schools with good journalism programs that you can get into and check out their papers and sports sections. That’s how I would approach it.

• 1) I’m a girl. It is very very very much okay. Gender shouldn’t matter at all.

2) Syracuse has an excellent journalism program. Northwestern, too. But those are top end (I didn’t get into Syracuse’s j-school, only arts and sciences ;_;). Fordham’s pretty good. But what you really need to do is go to school where you’ll have the ability to get some experience. My lack of experience is killing me right now.

3) Start blogging, start writing. That’s the only way you get better.

• Jose the Satirist says:

1. Really? Yes, there are female journalists. For example Ines Sainz is a journalist.

2. Get a degree in journalism, English, or communications. Find colleges that are a good fit for these programs and yourself.

3. Be realistic. You probably aren’t going to get your dream gig out the door. Get internships while in college. Get your foot in the door at local television stations and newspapers. Don’t give up, always continue sharpening your writing tools.

• first time lawng time says:

Also, will I be able to earn a decent living?

• Erica says:

I’ll be very honest – a lot of my friends are still struggling to look for jobs in their field and let me just tell you, unless your major is extremely specific (like, accounting), you probably won’t be getting a job in the field you want right away.

The best advice I can give is write write write. Write for a local paper. Write for yourself. Take an online course. Just get yourself into the groove of writing!

• first time lawng time says:

Yeah I planned on being an accountant, lawyer, something in the business department, or marrying a professional athlete (*cough*Jesus Montero *cough*…now I’m thinking about journalism.

If you told a year ago that I was going to try to make a living writing, I would have laughed at you (because I prefer math and that stuff)…now look where I am now lol.

• Erica says:

Major in something that makes you happy!

I’m a cautionary tale: I chose marketing because I figured I’d get a job after college with a nice salary. I didn’t consider the fact that I’d have to take accounting, finance and statistics classes (as a business major) when anything math-related was my weakest point. It turned into this whole mess but in the end, I switched to a journalism major because I knew it would make me happy.

So choose something you feel passionate about. If it’s journalism, just go for it! And participating in clubs and activities in college opens you up to so many other worlds!

• Big DaveyNJ says:

I too wanted be a journalist back when I was in high school and I got as far as earning my Associates in journalism. But then I decided it wasn’t my thing and switched to “Media Studies” a.k.a. I don’t know what I want to do.

Long story short, you can always switch your major. People (especially high school teachers) like to make college more intimidating than it is, but it isn’t. Just keep your grades up because unlike K-12, these actually matter.

If your serious about Journalism, I’d suggest trying to get a job at a local paper (I know, it’s really hard nowadays). I started working at a paper my junior year in high school as clerk and eventually became a “full time part-time” writer sometime by my third year. For journalists, clips are pretty much your resume, it’s what editors use to judge when hiring you, so like what was mentioned above, write, write and WRITE!

For me my experience helped me decide that I didn’t want to be a journalist, but it could turn out different for you (obviously). Everyone else here has been giving solid advice so far so I don’t really have anything else to offer unless you have a specific question about something. Best of luck to you!

15. “no matter how good they are, they simply won’t win every year. It’s a fact of life.”

I refuse to allow your “facts” to interfere with my own personal delusions. Thank you very much.

16. Yo Quiero Montero (formerly LarryF) says:

Aside from pitchers, are there any starters on either team that would start on the Yanks other than Josh Hamilton?

17. Carlosologist says:

Fox brought Ozzie back? Well, I’m Spanish and can understand the gibberish that comes out of this man’s mouth. I dunno about you guys lol.

18. Esteban says:

Brian Wilson is awesome:
    and

I’ll root for the Giants just for that, and “The Machine” of the videos is supposedly Pat Burrell

Which reminds me of the the funniest/most awkward interview with Zach Galifianakis ever

19. Esteban says:

On another note, this is one of the funnier GIFs I’ve ever seen:

20. Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Blog says:

As a follow up to I heart Montero in Spanish that’s no longer Larryf, what about that aside?

Who fills out the starters combining the 3 teams?

1. Lee
    2. Lincecum
    3. Sabathia
    4. Cain?
    5. ??

• Yo Quiero Montero (formerly LarryF) says:

I want Montero is the correct translation. Only Hughes gets in for me. On the fence with Mo at age 40….

Texas is in with a SS batting leadoff and the Giants are in with a marginal SS batting 8th. See-it can be done either way!

21. Esteban says:

Hey Bill Walker: Calm down.

22. Esteban says:

The NBA’s new ‘respect the game’ rule seems a bit harsh. However, if it cuts down on the whining in basketball games, it’ll be worth the 5 techicals a game.

23. Anyone else think that the Rangers could finish ahead of the Kovalchuks this season?

24. Erica says:

Seriously though, I cringe every time I see Girardi slowly smack that guy’s ass in the Taco Bell commercial.

25. Xstar7 says:

Yo quiero Montero tambien

26. Avi says:

Cliff Lee.
    I feel like I’m watching one of my own.

27. Erica says:

I’m not sure if you guys discussed the Lakers game last night at all, but damn, was that ending good or what! I used to be a Knicks fan in the 90s (Patrick Ewing was one of my favorites) and then when they started sucking, I lost interest in basketball.

I’m pretty sure that the only way to fill the void left by baseball this winter is to just become a Lakers fan.

Sigh.

28. Esteban says:

Ha HA! So Andrus kills every team in the playoffs, not just the Yankees.

29. Hall and Nokes says:

Feel our pain.

30. first time lawng time says:

Anyone watching the Knicks game think that Gallinari and Number 6 (Fields maybe?) look a lot alike from above and the back?

I keep confusing them.

31. Carlosologist says:

Jeez, Tim, work out of it.

32. Yo Quiero Montero (formerly LarryF) says:

Will Cano bat 3rd next year?

33. Carlosologist says:

Little bullshit infield hits: The story of the 2010 Texas Rangers.

34. bexarama says:

I actually like them but the Rangers are really starting to remind me of the mid-2000s Angels and therefore annoy me

35. Avi says:

I’d be shocked if Cliff Lee gave up anything tonight.
    The guy has been untouchable the last two years in the postseaon against MUCH better offensive teams and is auditioning in front of the entire country days before he becomes a free agent.

36. Esteban says:

WTF? Why didn’t he throw it?

37. Xstar7 says:

What the hell just happened?!

38. Hall and Nokes says:

I hope that’s some good stuff, Timmy.

39. tom says:

OK, even a 60s-vet like me would start asking if Tim is high here.

40. first time lawng time says:

How stupid is Lincecum? Seriously, shouldn’t he have thrown to the third basemen for the run down?

41. Mike Axisa says:

I was gonna thrw the ball to third during the rundown, but then I got high.

42. Avi says:

I hope everyone who’s for legalizing marijuana saw that play.

43. Hall and Nokes says:

Anyone listen to Russo this week? He was all but picking out his world champs gear.

44. It'sATarp says:

i really dislike the rangers…everything is going in their favor as if they have luck charms stuffed up their ass just for the postseason

45. CBean says:

Ok, Timmy, time to wake up.

46. rek4gehrig says:

He dodged a bullet on that one. He better get his act together or else….

47. JerseyDutch says:

Lee struck out the first batter. Didn’t see that coming.

48. Ivan says:

I cannot wait til Durant is a FA. Yeah it’s going to be a while but hey, I can dream right.

49. Erica says:

“San-CHEHZ.”

I HATE WHEN MCCARVER PRONOUNCES THINGS THE WRONG WAY.

50. Zack says:

No /lowbaseballIQ for Lincecum?

51. bexarama says:

Hey, Giants. Hit it to right!

52. anon says:

Dear Universe,

NO ONE IS LIKE MARIANO.

Thanks so much.

53. CBean says:

Why exactly is Vladdy in right?

54. Esteban says:

I don’t like that baseball players are starting to be younger than I am.

55. Carlosologist says:

Posey’s AB against Lee was better than all of ours put together.

/sad but true’d

56. Zack says:

Fans deserve a mea culpa from Alderson, who didn’t speak up during Steroid Era

Yeah, because the media was all over steroids from Day 1.

57. Xstar7 says:

WHO THE HELL CAME UP WITH THE RANGERS GAY LITTLE ANTLER AND CLAW THING???!!!

58. Jack says:

“Cliff Lee . . . has been referred to as the left-handed Mariano Rivera.”

By who, Tim?

59. Stratman9652 says:

Hamilton and Kinsler have a lot of ground to cover tonight. Vlad was looks for a bat to swing at that ball.

60. Avi says:

Let’s go lee. Into Mcovey Cove!!

61. CBean says:

Ok, we have to get Lee.

62. Esteban says:

Seriously, Cliff Lee is getting hits now? No way the Rangers lose this series.

63. FIPster Doofus says:

Now he’s hitting doubles? I’m getting sick of this guy.

64. rek4gehrig says:

What the?

65. Avi says:

Cliff Lee has to be thinking. I’m using pine tar and it’s legal. Feels weird.

66. ShuutoHeat says:

Here comes Elvis “Luckiest Man with No Power” Andrus.

67. Nice says:

This game is over.

68. first time lawng time says:

So what does everyone htink the Knicks season record will be?

Over/under 41/41?

What place do they come in?

over/under 9.5?

69. Xstar7 says:

Cliff Lee got double off Tim Lincecum. WOW

70. ShuutoHeat says:

…Molina running was fucking disturbing, seriously that was fucking disturbing. So disturbing, I had to repeat myself…

71. Stratman9652 says:

Why would I not be surprised if Cliff Lee bats close to 1.000 this series. The world would explode.

72. It'sATarp says:

Rangers must have sacrificed 100 virgins before the play offs

73. rek4gehrig says:

Hey McCarver, You can stop talking about the Yankees now.

• bexarama says:

they’ve mentioned the ALCS more than they’ve, like, talked about the WS so far. And they haven’t even mentioned the NLCS except to mention that the Giants won it in the intro.

• Erica says:

Lulz. Impossible for him.

• first time lawng time says:

Oh God. Was he talking about ’04?

I really don’t see the big deal about that year.

Technically all that happened was that they Yankees were on a 4+ game win streak and then Boston snapped it and they went on 4 game win streak (eventually 7).

Big whoop.

Also, they won 4 of 7. Doesn’t that happen in any best of 7 series,

So dumb.

74. Stratman9652 says:

Wow Vlad. Not even close.

75. FIPster Doofus says:

Vladdy looks like an octogenarian in the field. Keep hitting it to him.

76. Carlosologist says:

I actually think it’s kind of cute that the Rangers say they will be competitive in the Lee bidding.

• Kit says:

Haha, you don’t think they can? I’m hesitant to cheer for them because of the whole Cliff saying he would like to stay if they win. I think TSJC said it was all a ploy to drive up his price, but I’m worried that their winning actually brings in money to keep him.

• Carlosologist says:

Oh no, I’m fully aware that the Rangers have much more financial power than what they did at the beginning of the season. I’m just saying that whatever Texas offers, the Yankees will offer more. Lee will go after the biggest payday, being a late bloomer and all. This will likely be his only shot at a big money long term contract.

• I think the new Texas ownership group will end up forcing the Yankees to pay more for Lee than we would have otherwise, but the Yankees are still going to sign Cliff Lee.

• Carlosologist says:

The money doesn’t really matter, it’s the years. If we can lock him up for six years, then the dollar amount is just a formality.

• Kit says:

He’s only 31, so it might not be that bad to have him around for six years, but I’m kind of skeptical about it. Not worried about the money, but the time. He’s a late bloomer and whatnot, but it doesn’t necessarily guarantee he’ll be pitching that well at that age.

• Kit says:

Very true. I’m hoping all he wants is money/a chance to compete and doesn’t care much about sentimentality and location. It looks like the bullshit his wife was spewing is a non-factor, which is good, but there’s always the chance he could be somewhere else and that concerns me since there aren’t more viable options and I’d like to keep Nova as far away from a starting position as possible.

• Jon Daniels: Ladies and gentlemen of the press, I’m here today to tell you that we’re prepared to match any offer anybody makes to Cliff Lee.
      (phone rings)
      Jon Daniels: Hello? Oh, hey, Brian, what’s up? Uh-huh. Uh-huh. Uh-huh. Okay, I see. Thanks for the call, Brian.
      (phone rings)
      Jon Daniels: I would respectfully like to amend my statement. Cliff Lee was a great competitor and warrior and it was a pleasure to have him on our team, and we wish him the best in his future endeavors in New York City. This press conference is over.

… aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand, SCENE!

77. Xstar7 says:

This series is OVER if the Rangers win game 1.

• Kit says:

If it’s over the way the same way the Rangers/Yankees series was over when the Yankees won game one, then I’m all for it.

78. JerseyDutch says:

I wonder how many Red Sox fans think they’re still in this thing?

79. Yo Quiero Montero (formerly LarryF) says:

Cano bats 3rd because your best hitter should always bat in the first inning. Best chance to get an early lead.

See Josh Hamilton and Jesus Montero (SWB)

80. Yo Quiero Montero (formerly LarryF) says:

So if our hitters go to the Jose Bautista school for HR improvement….

ARod hits 65 next year and…..

81. first time lawng time says:

Comment of the year nominees (so far in no particular order):

Also, the whole “Rose Taft” thing was pretty funny, but I can’t find it.

Please, feel free to contribute.

82. Erica says:

Cliff Lee hits a double and hits a batter.

WHAT IS UP WITH YOU, UNIVERSE?

83. anon says:

Where does McCarver get his brilliant double entendre?

84. Kit says:

Alright, Giants. *claps* Score those runs, hit those doubles…even if they’re off Cliff Lee.

85. Avi says:

Michael Young has ZERO range.

86. JerseyDutch says:

So much for the invincibility of Mr. Lee. He sucks. Don’t sign him.

87. JobaWockeeZ says:

So Lee decides to give up runs now. Yay.

• Murakami says:

Maybe Cliff Lee does not actually rule the universe, and maybe he’s not actually Sandy Koufax, who had control AND a 100mph FB. And maybe we should all drop to our knees and thank everlovin’ Yeshua Ben Yosef and Jack Z that we were prevented from gift-wrapping the second coming of Josh Gibson for him.

88. Carlosologist says:

I’d be a dick and write, “Yankees, take notes on how to beat Lee” but then I realized he’s ours and NO ONE WILL EVER HAVE HIM AGAIN

/mancrushonLee

89. Brooklyn Ed says:

watching the Giants hitting off Lee makes me sad. wish the Yanks could had done something like that. =\

90. Jerome S says:

BUSTER POSEY: THE LEGEND

It grows…

91. Murakami says:

And people are crying we didn’t forfeit 10 years of Montero for this?

Looks like Cliffy the Immortal is having some problems, here.

92. Brooklyn Ed says:

Burrell, you an idiot. How could you not swung at that?

93. FIPster Doofus says:

Nice AB, Burrell. Very productive.

94. Jerome S says:

I got here late, and all I can say is…
    Guerrero in the RF of ATnT Park?
    Is Washington on the good stuff again?

95. ChrisR says:

Why couldn’t the Yankees do this to Cliff Lee… :(

• Kit says:

It’s called “shit happens”. It’s not like they’ve never scored runs off him before, they just couldn’t for one reason or another.

96. first time lawng time says:

Gallo sucks tonight.

97. Tampa Yankee says:

So, does Molina get a WS ring no matter who wins?

98. Murakami says:

Looks like Margaret is settling down, getting the Texans to hit lazy flies and stuff.

99. Big Stein says:

Cliff’s price just came down a smidge.

100. Kit says:

I really wish I could see this game. =(

101. first time lawng time says:

Lincecum reminds me of a bunny. His face looks so innocent and harmless.

Maybe that’s just me though.

102. RSA says:

so why did cliff lee used to suck and why doesn’t he now? is there any chance he will revert back to his early years once he signs with the yankees (or whoever)?

103. Reggie C. says:

TOMMIE. Does ‘Melo become a Knick at the trading deadline?

104. CBean says:

Isn’t watching postseason baseball enough fun for a kid at a ballpark?

105. Esteban says:

OMG look, they’ve greatly expanded replay in the NBA without a challenge system. It’s possible!

106. Murakami says:

Josh hits the ball back to his mom. Awwww.

107. Esteban says:

The Knicks have attempted waaaay too many contested 3s tonight.

108. JobaWockeeZ says:

Nets won a game? Cliff Lee gave up runs? Cliff Lee gets a hit? We’re all dying tomorrow aren’t we?

109. Everyone see what BP said about Montero?

Some would argue that Montero is the best pure hitter in the minors, as the 20-year-old hit .351/.396/.684 during the second half of the season for Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. Despite his tender age, he’s big-league ready, and now the question is where he’ll play on the field. He’s made great strides behind the plate, but the upgrade is merely from embarrassing to simply bad. Few scouts see him as an upgrade over the slow, deficient and aging Posada. No matter where Montero ends up, the bat is going to play in the middle of the order for one of the most dangerous lineups in baseball.—Kevin Goldstein, Baseball Prospectus

It’s tough to take Cash seriously when he says he has scouts who say he’s MLB ready. The external assessments always seem to be at odds with what the Yanks say publicly, so I suspect the Yankee internal assessments differ from their public statements.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

If he’s simply bad then why not keep him there? His bat will make it up rather easily. You’re not going to find good defense and offensive catchers.

Plus I don’t see why it’s catcher or bust when he could split duties with Jorge and some other catcher down the road until Teix is off his contract.

Power bats are a premium. Let’s not trade him for the sake of trading him. And especially when the needs don’t match up the trade market as much as the FA market.

• Let’s not trade him for the sake of trading him.

This comes up every time the topic is broached. What on Earth would give you the idea that anyone is advocating trading him just to get rid of him? All I’m saying is that people are penciling him in to the 2011 roster, and there are reasons why he’s been offered twice already in deals. If there’s a big pitcher out there and he’s the price, you do it. It’s not as if you’re giving up an area of need in your future Catcher because reports from day 1 to today have said he’s not a Catcher.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

This comes up every time the topic is broached. What on Earth would give you the idea that anyone is advocating trading him just to get rid of him? Because if he truly has no spot on his team then you need to get rid of him or he’ll give no value to anyone.

Once for Cliff Lee where Cashman acknowledged the package was too much for a rental and another for Roy Halladay STRAIGHT UP. The onyl reason why he’s been offered is because his bat is so god damn good that his value to the FO is equal to a top tiered starting pitcher.

If there’s a big pitcher out there and he’s the price, you do it.

And who may that be? Greinke? He’ll never accept to go to NY. Unless a young ace is on the market then it’s better to keep Jesus.

1. I’m sure a power bat will be a huge area of need.
          2. So we’re giving up on a 20 year old forever despite those same reports saying of continued IMPROVEMENT? What if his improvement leads to him being a Mike Piazza type defender? Do we give up because he’s not Johnny Bench?

• Xstar7 says:

Ivan Rodruguez

• Esteban says:

Well if he can turn into some version of Edgar Martinez, the Yankees won’t be upset. But you do have to wonder if he’s gonna be traded at some point.

• Not upset, but with Posada, Alex and Derek all spending more and more time at DH in coming years, it’s not exactly a spot that’s wide open.

This reminds me of the 2001-2003 Nick Johnson situation. His bat was ready, he was a terrific prospect but was blocked at his position by the free agent signing of Giambi. The Yanks kept him around for a while, but when the right deal (or so they thought) came along, they traded Nick. NJ was more valuable on the open market to another team than he was to the Yanks.

• Mattchu12 says:

I still give him every chance to fail as a catcher at the major league level. Jorge Posada never had to win a Gold Glove to be considered an elite catcher. I find it really hard to imagine that Montero can’t be an acceptable defender behind the plate. Did anyone else just see Bengie Molina run? Yeah. I’m buying Montero as a catcher, he can’t be THAT bad.

• The Molina’s all have outstanding fundamentals and were raised as Catchers from the time they with in diapers. Montero is a guy who can hit who was handed a Catcher’s mitt by the Yanks. It’s not even close.

• Mattchu12 says:

I’m just saying that for all of the talk about Montero’s body size, lack of speed, and lack of agility, Bengie Molina has had a very nice career behind the plate while having a very big body and being absolutely ripped to shreds by the speed jokes told by people who actually get paid to talk live on TV about baseball. Seriously, they are being brutal on Bengie.

I fully expect Montero to be at the very least tolerable behind the plate, before his bat.

• And if he’s really not a Catcher, as scouts have been saying for years, that changes the whole equation with him. It means he’s more valuable to someone who can play him at 1B than he is to us as a DH.

For a team that will have an aging ARod, and aging Jeter, and an aging Teixeira and their diminishing production to deal with over the next half decade, I’d argue that Montero’s bat is supremely valuable and important to us even if he’s only a DH. We need young sluggers on the rise to replace our old sluggers on the decline.

And by the time Tex’s contract is over and he leaves, Montero will still only be 27 and still be under team control.

We’ll find room for him no matter where he plays defensively.

• Murakami says:

O’Day warming in the fifth.

• Murakami says:

His bat is redemptive enough to make up for his catching. He’s also not awful back there, he has improved. These guys are melodramatic. He has a pretty good arm and his feet have gotten quicker. I think he’ll be fine.

• These guys are melodramatic.

If you’re at all familiar with BP, they’re anything but. They cover thousands of prospects every year, and give informed objective assessments of their abilities. If anyone is being “melodramatic” it’s the Yankee fans who are so attached to a prospect’s potential that they can’t view him and his place in the organization clearly.

• CP says:

They give the consensus opinions on players within the game. Generally that gives an accurate portrait of the player, but it can also mean that their slow to recognize changes (both for the better and for the worse).

And if he’s just as bad as Jorge, then that’s good enough.

• Murakami says:

BP is better than BA by default, but I don’t have to take their word for anything when I’ve seen the player myself.

He’s got an extraordinary bat, and he will survive behind the plate.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Jesus Montero (20) 2010: 105 GP, 15 PB, 23 CS%
          Francisco Cervelli (21) 2007: 89 GP, 15 PB, CS% NA

But for shits and giggles it’s 41% for his lifetime minor league career. Yet one is a defensive whiz and one is a destined DH who when catches is a liability that causes the team to lose games when doing so.

• Avi says:

I agree with you that Montero is NOT a catcher. I’ve read everything I could find on him, watched games he caught on Milb.com and spoke to Buck Martinez before game four of the ALCS who told me Tony Pena says “he can’t catch”.
          That being said he has the potential to be an ELITE bat.
          To me you don’t trade a 20 year old with that kind of offensive potential unless you’re getting a comonity that’s as valuable.
          That is, either a true ace under 30 who’s at least two years away from free agency (Felix, Lincecum, Lester) or a premium bat at a premium position (Tulowitzki, Hanley).
          Especially when you have PLENTY of other trade chips.
          The yanks probably have more chips now than they did at any time in the last 15 years.
          ANY player that will be available on the trade market this offseason will be obtainable using some of our other chips.
          Right now Jesus is our only A prospect with Gary Sanchez (17 years old) on the fringe. We have MANY grade B prospects.
          don’t think you’d have to give this much to make up for Montero but I’d rather lose Romine, Nova, Noesi, Laird and Heatcott than Jesus alone.

• ZZ says:

Can you explain this further applying it to the particular circumstances of the Yankees, because this statement is not in itself true.

110. Reggie C. says:

In 60 seconds, the Knicks are gonna have a better record than the Miami heat. TAKE THAT LEBRON!

/stillpissedbutwhatevs

• poster on another computer who happens to be a deuce bag says:

I love how after one game in a season with over 80 you hear the media talking about what a disappointment the Heat is. ONE FUCKING GAME.

111. FIPster Doofus says:

Freddy Sanchez is not impressed by your invincibility, Cliff.

112. Carlosologist says:

The biggest underdogs since, dare I say, the 1996 Yankees?

113. Big Stein says:

Okay.

Who are you – and what have you done with cliff lee?!?

• Mattchu12 says:

He made comments about how winning with the Rangers would make it easier to stay with the Rangers in order to drive up the price, but now he’s realizing he COULD WIN with the Rangers, and now must choke and cost them the World Series so he doesn’t look like he is going against his original statement for when he does in fact sign with the Yankees.

114. cano is the bro says:

i gotta say, im taking some pleasure in seeing cliff lee getting knocked around a little bit. He’s good, we all get it, but people need to get off his dick

115. Carlosologist says:

I’m not gonna lie, I thought that girl’s sign said “I’ve got a pocket full of pussy.”

/14 year old mind’d

116. first time lawng time says:

Oh cool Giants are winning.

And they just zommed in on Lincecum’s face…ew.

117. Dela G says:

This just in, Cliff Lee’s cut fastball is fucking ILL

118. first time lawng time says:

So I read online how people were whining about Cliff Lee’s hat, but I still don’t understand what is wrong with it?

I think they said something about there being rosin on it? What’s the big deal if there’s rosin (or anything) on his hat?

• ShuutoHeat says:

Some people think it isn’t Rosin and is a substance that helps him grip the ball better (ie: pine tar) which helps someone spin the ball better.

119. Big Stein says:

Ron, Ron better get the bull pen up.

120. JobaWockeeZ says:

Star Wars reference for Giants fans? Okay they are definitely one of the best fanbases in the game.

/geek’d

121. Carlosologist says:

Holy shit, Cliff Lee walked a guy? Why are we giving him a salary north of 23M if he’s going to be doing shit like that? I mean, who walks guys? Shallow and pedantic, Mr. Lee.

122. Dela G says:

wow, lee getting lit up

123. Erica says:

I can’t believe this is the same Cliff Lee that shut down the Yankees. GAT DANG!

• Murakami says:

With all due respect, you are buying into the Invincible Mr. Lee the media has created.

As the score rises to 5-2, and here comes Ron Washington.

It’s not Margaret who is melting, it’s Lee.

Bye, bye Cliffie!!!

124. Esteban says:

Really the Yankees couldn’t have done this? I’m depressed now. But go Giants.

125. Gonzo says:

Maybe Cliff Lee looked so good because he didn’t have to face a pitcher?

126. rek4gehrig says:

Told ya!! Shorter swings and you can hit Lee

127. FIPster Doofus says:

This is just fantastic. Hit the road, Cliff.

128. CBean says:

Wow. Lee’s out of the game.

129. JobaWockeeZ says:

When the fuck could the Giants hit?

130. ultimate913 says:

Go Giants!

Keep doing this! Bring his demands down to 5/110!!!

131. Carlosologist says:

How about this Giants offense?

/irony’d

132. Big Stein says:

Lee’s stock just took a hit.

133. cano is the bro says:

so i guess lee is beatable?

/rolls eyes

134. bexarama says:

why couldn’t you pitch like this when Andy was opposing you, you jerk

• FIPster Doofus says:

Hey, get out here! You’re making me look stupid, panda jerk.

/Brian Fantana’d

• Murakami says:

Well, he pitched very well and he got an early gift when fucking Michael Young should have been called out TWICE looking, but got third life from the ump and finally singled, getting on for Hamilton’s two-run HR.

If he had been properly called out, maybe Hamilton is pitched to differently, or even if he homers, 1-0 is not the same as 2-0. Andy shut it down after that. Alas…

135. rek4gehrig says:

Yup…he’s down to $20 mil per year

136. Stratman9652 says:

Can’t wait to hear what the media has to say about the untouchable Cliff Lee. Its almost like he’s human afterall.

137. JerseyDutch says:

Now they’re just smacking them around.

138. yankees1717 says:

what are people’s thoughts on acquiring ryan doumit as a fill in at catcher until montero gets here, and when he does we can stick him back in the OF as a supersub. (he is probably a butcher out there i just know he used to play there) just thought it’d be intriguing

(i have no idea what i’m talking about i just saw his name and that he hit roughly .250/.300/.400 which isn’t half bad for a yankee bench player please don’t kill me for suggesting this)

139. JDDZip says:

Hey Rangers, where are your Claw and Antlers now?

140. rek4gehrig says:

Take THAT Texas!!!!

141. Carlosologist says:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

142. Big Stein says:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

143. Weaver of Nightmares says:

“I have not seen a beating like that, since they let a spidar monkey loose in my shorts”

/UncleEddie’d

144. Poopy Pants says:

Yeah, the Yankees beat ‘just plain beat by a superior team’. Right.
    Just like the Twins were really good this year.

145. Esteban says:

The Rangers look old and unathletic

146. ShuutoHeat says:

Heh, those claws and antlers can’t save you this time.

147. bexarama says:

I don’t mind the Rangers and I don’t like the Giants but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t enjoying the hell out of this.

148. yankees1717 says:

and how bout bronson arroyo? is he a fa? he had a solid season last year, and if all else fails i wouldn’t mind him on a reasonable deal

149. S says:

He’s human

Hey everybody Cliff Lee isn’t Jesus come back as a pitcher, he’s human

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

150. Carlosologist says:

So, what number does Lee get when he comes to New York. Personally, I’ve narrowed it down to either 35 or 36.

151. Erica says:

This is sweet, weird revenge for us Yankees fans. I think I need to eat a victory peanut butter sangwich or something.

152. rek4gehrig says:

Bet Mrs Lee is getting spat on as we speak

153. cano is the bro says:

bahahahaha

154. Weaver of Nightmares says:

The wheels? They are a fallin off!

155. ShuutoHeat says:

Heh, Andrus.

156. It'sATarp says:

Texas must have ran out of virgins to sacrifice to the Gods.

157. Erica says:

Yo, that announcer chick at the park – her voice is too cheery. I feel like I should be doing high kicks and jumps every time she speaks.

158. FIPster Doofus says:

I wonder how quickly the media and Rangers fans will turn on Cliff Lee now that he pitched terribly in Game 1 of the World Series.

“Lee had Yankees, not Giants, on mind” seems like a good article title for one of the idiotic columnists.

159. Xstar7 says:

Guys the Red Sox are still in this thing

160. JerseyDutch says:

Waiting for the first doom-and-gloomer to say that if we sign Lee now, we have no hope in 2011.

161. Weaver of Nightmares says:

Vlad was swinging if the ball was pitched to the on deck batter.

162. Mike R says:

Wow.. Can’t believe the Giants hit Lee so hard.. I said it day after day he’s a great pitcher but he certainly isn’t unbeatable.. Good shit Giants… Must take a lot of steam out of Texas to smack Lee up like that..

163. cano is the bro says:

really hoping molina and his claw gets plunked in the head before this WS ends

164. Howie says:

Cliff Lee getting hit reminds me of “Moneyball”, where Billy Beane tells Michael Lewis that it’s his job to build a team that can win over the 162 game grind, but he can’t try to win in the playoffs because it’s a crapshoot.

165. Xstar7 says:

This series isn’t over If the giants win tonight! Let’s not pull a Michael Kay.

166. Carlosologist says:

Ross probably had a decent shot at throwing out Molina.

167. Esteban says:

Wuh-ohs. Not the pitching duel we all imagined would happen.

168. CBean says:

Wow, I wasn’t expecting such a short game for either pitcher.

169. bexarama says:

Giants you scored 8 runs off Cliff Lee, can you not

170. ShuutoHeat says:

Heh, Elvis “0 Power” Andrus is pissed.

171. Avi says:

Casilla reminds me of Jose Veras. They look alike and have similar deliveries.

172. Kit says:

I know I’m probably not the only one having this not being able to see Fox 5 problem, so if anyone is interested, Cablevision is offering to credit people who buy the MLB post-season TV package for $9.95. I have a link with the info if anyone is interested. Haven’t tried it myself because I’m broke, but just offering up the information if anyone wants it.

• Mike R says:

Hey Kit.. I’m interested.. The only thing is I heard that MLB.TV dosn’t give you full live coverage of the game? If you know anything about that I’d love some more information.. If you don’t the link is fine ;)

• Kit says:

Here’s the link that tells you how to redeem your credit: http://cablevision.com/fox/redeem.jsp

I don’t actually know anything about MLB.TV, but here’s the link to the postseason.tv site as well: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscri.....d=MLBTVTAB

That should give you some info. Sorry I can’t give you more detail, I just stumbled upon this.

• Avi says:

True. I had it for the first two rounds. There’s no audio.
        the worst part is that you can pick only one camera and that’s the ONLY view you see. You can go with the mosaic screen which allows you to watch four different cameras simultaneously but it’s still annoying and not nearly as good as watching it on TV.

173. Nuke LaDoosh says:

“Don’t you have homes?”

- Judge Smales

174. Xstar7 says:

Did the Nets win?

175. Hughesus Christo says:

Wait, Josh Hamilton doesn’t hit a HR every time you pitch to him? Even with a righty? FUCKING NUTS, MAN.

176. MikeD says:

So Cliff Lee pitches bad and I can’t see itsince I’m a hostage of the CableVision/Fox dispute?

Did he look really off, or was it a few lucky balls falling in, bad timing, etc? Or what wasn’t working?

177. Bobtaco says:

Tony Bennet FTW.

178. nathan says:

Very happy that Lee got crushed.

You know if this happened next year for Yanks in ALDS the media will say we got what we sowed and Lee is a bust. His first loss if it had come in pinstripes would have been a circus.

Go Giants !

179. Erica says:

Tra la la, we just all got quiet over here.

180. Leo in Houston says:

Cliff Lee is overrated. Lets promote from our AA & AAA teams. We can win by using home grown talent.

• FIPster Doofus says:

Promote whom? Lee is an elite pitcher, which is something the Yankees need right now.

• Murakami says:

If only Chris Garcia could have stayed healthy.

• Xstar7 says:

He is a little overrated but don’t let this one start fool you. He’s still a terrific pitcher who the Yankees would be glad to have on their team. Besides, he had to lose his first postseason start sometime.

• Tom Zig says:

Yeah…except that our AA & AAA teams are AA & AAA teams for a reason. They aren’t ready for the show yet. I agree the Lee slobber has reached epic levels, but he is a damn fine pitcher, and one of the best out there.

181. Dela G says:

what the hell was aubrey huff thinking

182. Xstar7 says:

I hope the giants beat the rangers in 5 so they can celebrate in front of those annoying Rangers fans.

• Murakami says:

Mrs. Lee fails to realize that all that spit raining down from the upper deck was finding the balls hubby was throwing against us. Look at him tonight without it.

• Leo in Houston says:

AJ was good also, but they get old. Then they are average and getting paid huge amounts. One or two free agent pitchers with big contracts is ok but find the diamonds in our system. I think they are there–Nova, Phelps, Noesi, Pendleton, Brackman, Betances, Banuelos, Stoneburner, Warren and Mitchell. There are some diamonds in that group and it could be someone that most people are over looking like Pendleton-he has gotten steadily better and better over the last three years or Mitchell-he has a great sinker that if perfected a little more he could win more games than an AJ that is an over paid flame thrower. I don’t like multi year big $$$ contracts for “10 year in the league pitchers”. JUST SAYIN.

183. Leo in Houston says:

He needs to learn how to slide.

184. JobaWockeeZ says:

Haha yeah fuck you aggression.

185. FIPster Doofus says:

Ian Kinsler is good at base running.

186. Erica says:

SanCHEHZ.

*claws at ears*

187. Nuke LaDoosh says:

Dear Cash, Don’t sign Lee. He will not age well and we will overpay (damn Yankee Fan Doosbag who spit on his wife…). Use your Minor League depth plethora to obtain Greinke (Joba, Jesus, Nova, Betances) and then flip Greinke for the pitcher of your choice who HAS balls and can pitch in Da Bronx.

Nuke

188. Esteban says:

Fox: That’s Cantu not Moreland

189. ultimate913 says:

It’s funny that teams like the O’s and Giants(SSS) hit Lee hard but the Yankees and Rays don’t hit him at all.

190. Xstar7 says:

Cliff Lee sucks at life. He’s probably wondering how he can end it all. Luckily Billy Mays is here with a great new product called suicide putty. Just knead to activate, apply and die.

191. Murakami says:

I miss the Yanks :(

Losing sucks.

I’m turning this game off.

192. Esteban says:

Reminder why Vlad is a DH now

193. Gonzo says:

Vlad making Thames look like Ichiro!

194. Kit says:

Vlad is like, seriously killing the Rangers. More of that, please.

195. Esteban says:

I’ll repeat it again
    The Rangers look old and unathletic

196. Big DaveyNJ says:

Vlad was once a top rightfielder… in MVP Baseball 2005.

On another note, does anyone get weirded out when watching Vlad run… or move? It just looks so… awkward to me.

197. rek4gehrig says:

I guess no Vladdy in right tomorrow

198. pat says:

No chance Vlad is out there tomorrow, right?

199. Carlosologist says:

Four doubles for Sanchez tonight.

200. MikeD says:

Remember when Vlad was a gold glove OFer? Time and injuries be crewl.

201. Joe West's Music Career says:

Vladdy just single-handedly broke the UZR algorithm. It was good while it lasted.

RIP UZR

202. bexarama says:

the most hilarious thing about Vlad’s OF adventures is that he still has the ridiculous cannon arm

203. Xstar7 says:

Vlad still has that arm though right? It’s really gonna come in handy when ummmm……. I forget

204. Erica says:

11-4! This is wild.

205. rek4gehrig says:

And the hits keep a coming.

206. pat says:

Alright Giants, you gotta save some for tomorrow.

207. ultimate913 says:

Save some offense for tomorrow, Giants.

208. Erica says:

And my satellite WOULD go out at the end of the game. Damn you, rain.

209. Carlosologist says:

I wonder if the Giants can do this to CJ Wilson tomorrow.

210. Kit says:

I enjoyed this game way too much and I couldn’t even see it.

• MikeD says:

Same here. I was annoyed that I was going to miss a great pitching game. Guess not.

I did pop on a streaming site just in time to see Vlad butcher two balls to the OF. That was fun.

211. pat says:

Ramon Ramirez.. same shit different uniform.

212. Tom Zig says:

Brian Wilson time?

213. Carlosologist says:

Bochy isn’t pulling any punches. Bringing in the closer with a six run lead.

214. MikeD says:

Time for Fear The Beard thing.

215. pat says:

Lot of back spin on that bad boy.

216. Carlosologist says:

Shut it down Wilson.

217. Esteban says:

Uh oh O’Neill rule in effect?

218. All Star Carl says:

2 teams throwing up gang signs like it’s nothing.

Am I watching the NBA?

219. Carlosologist says:

Three wins away and I get 100 dollars and bragging rights.

220. MikeD says:

Antlers and claws annoying.

Fear the Bears annoying.

Yankees not in the World Series while two lesser team are there: Very annoying.

221. Xstar7 says:

Fear the Beard

222. Ray the Anti-Handle says:

Just got home and I only have three things to say:

1. So much for the pitching duel.

2. Cliff Lee is human.

3. GIANTS SCORED 11 RUNS!?

223. Esteban says:

Ozzetta Stone plz.

224. Carlosologist says:

Oh my God, Kevin Millar speaking Spanish makes me want to kill the fool.

225. bexarama says:

MLBN now trying to paint it as Cliff Lee has “gotten away” with pitching his entire year by throwing 85 MPH down the middle, supposedly.

Face. Meet palm.

226. Mike R says:

Obviously Lee is going to age and lose velocity as he grows older Lee is a pitcher who when he has command can throw all of his pitches for strikes. It’s not like hes going out there throwing 95+ MPH fastballs. He’s a deceiving pitcher who usually lives on the corners. He’ll be good for quite some time, he really knows how to pitch and how to get hitters out.

227. Xstar7 says:

Now it’s up to Matt Cain.

228. Jerome S says:

THAT should lower the asking price.
    /yeahright