Nov

Open Thread: Football in the Bronx

Army and Notre Dame play in the first non-baseball team sporting event in the New Yankees Stadium tonight, unless you count some charity event. The game starts at 7pm ET and can be seen on NBC, though I’m not much of a college football guy so I’ll probably pass. If anything, I’ll tune in or a few minutes just to see what the Stadium looks like. Other than that, all of the hockey and basketball locals are playing at some point, so talk about whatever you want in this here open thread. You know what to do, so have it.

Photo from the Yankees.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Penn State and not a college football guy? That’s something new lol

2. Jose the Satirist says:

Does anyone think that Jeter might not even respond to the 3/$45M offer?

3. Sheepmeister says:

So Javy wants a 3/33M contract. Yea, keep dreaming.

• Jose the Satirist says:

I was hoping he would be looking for a cheap short term deal. Marlins sign him before arbitration date, Yankees offer him arbitration and get a free pick. That was the ideal scenario. That doesn’t seem very likely with such a demand.

• Oliver Queen says:

Wasn’t he talking about going year to year and contemplating retirement in the next couple of years in the past year?

• king of fruitless hypotheticals says:

that’s 3/3.3

4. trueblue says:

You forgot about the fight

5. Bryan L says:

Watching the game right now, making me miss baseball season.

6. Kiersten says:

College football sucks. Sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks.

No, I’m not bitter.

7. yankees1717 says:

MLBTR says vazquez is seeking 3/33. good luck with that. but something good does come up out of that. maybe, if vazquez sticks to his ridiculous demands, he would decline arbitration. wishful thinking, sure, but is it at all plausible?
    my other hope is that the marlins sign him by tuesday, so we get the pick anyway.
    which one is more plausible, if either?

8. Watching the game. Yankee Stadium looks really weird in that setup.

9. Brian in NH says:

at least they don’t have that debacle for what happened at Wrigley for Illinois-Northwestern.

and Penn State and not be a big college football guy? wtf?

10. NextYankeeDynasty says:

I am surprised how well the stadium transitions into a football field it looks great!!….Reported attendance is 54,000, would that be the largest crowd to date for the stadium??…

11. JM says:

Question: did joining YES somewhat “limit” anything you could do with the blog in any way? Interpret it any way you want

12. Jimmy McNulty says:

Read about the interview process for Rothschild, pretty awesome stuff. Is Larry Rothschild related to the people who secretly control the world?

13. Sal says:

What date will Lee sign? Take a guess

14. MattG says:

Screw college football.

Delwyn Young: super sub candidate. Worth a major league contract?

• I’d give him a minor league deal with an invite to ST. He can play the corner OF spots, third, and second.

• mbonzo says:

You’d need to place him on the 40 man roster right now. I think he’d be a very interesting pickup. It would keep Gardner on his toes and would be a good outfield option, if Girardi wants to continue platooning players, since he’s a switch hitter.

15. Sam says:

College football season ended for some of us today. Ivy League football fever-catch it!

16. Teh Compensation Pick says:

I did really like the Carpenter speculation from the radio show. Seems like it could be a fit should the Yanks strikeout on Lee, but I wonder how many other teams would want to trade for him, there by driving the prospect price up.

17. Sal says:

There is a 99% chance that the Yanks will not stike out on Lee.

• So you’re saying I’ve got a chance!!

Sincerely,

Nolan Ryan

• Teh Compensation Pick says:

Texas is going to make a competitive offer. Arlington is within a day trip by car to Bentonville, AR, and there was some talk that his parents don’t like to fly. There’s also the whole state income tax thing. I would not bet against Lil’ Stein, but just it is not a lock that Lee is donning the stripes next year, I hope he does, but its not a lock.

• Kit says:

Does “some talk” mean “bullshit”? :P

I’m genuinely curious though, since no one has said a thing about his parents, seemingly because they don’t really come into the equation. The people who will be moving will be his immediate family. He can always fly to his parents (in nice jets too), and it’s not like the Yanks don’t play games in Texas. Why would his parents’ dislike of flying stop him from possibly getting a big paycheck?

• Teh Compensation Pick says:

Like you said, it may be complete BS, but the team in Arlington will likely be offering him nearly as big a paycheck. Maybe the Yanks offer 5/115 and Texas 5/100. I hope he signs on to be a Yankee, and I think if he does, CC will have a lot to do with that as will teh extra dollars, but if your him, being in texas clearly has advantages both financially (no state income tax, not just on MLB money), and for his family.

• king of fruitless hypotheticals says:

the state income tax thing is less than 5% of the aav. sure, 5% of a bajillion dollars is a lot, but so is a 1.8 bajillion dollars. not an issue.

18. Dick says:

The sideline reporter they’re using for the Notre Dame game isn’t good looking.

They should of hired Kim Jones.

19. king of fruitless hypotheticals says:

GO ARMY! BEAT NAVY!

20. mbonzo says:

Late last night I asked this, anyone think that Delwyn Young should be placed on the Yankees 40 man roster?

21. Peedlum says:

I don’t like notre lame bringing their bad loser has been juju into the stadium.

22. Matt DiBari says:

Just got back from the Stadium. Awesome experience.