Nov

Report: Yanks to speak with Gil Patterson about pitching coach vacancy

Via Mark Feinsand, Athletics pitching coordinator Gil Patterson has received permission from his team to speak with the Yankees about their vacant pitching coach position. Patterson has coached in the Yanks’ minor league system a few times, most recently 2005-2006, and according to B-Ref he was fired in 1984 for refusing to let Al Leiter pitch with a sore arm. Imagine that.

Anyway, the Yankees are obviously familiar with Patterson and he’s familiar with them, so it’s no surprise that he’s the first outside-the-organization name we heard about. Make sure you check out this 2006 profile by Tyler Kepner, that’s some great stuff.

Categories : Asides

1. Jobamania aka EvoLuTioN says:

truly heartbreaking article

he sounds like an excellent candidate. maybe he can fix joba

2. Sad story on his own career. Anyone who complains about today’s “babying” of pitchers should read that piece. I’ve heard a hundreds just like it.

• Zack says:

Yankees General Manager Gabe Paul ordered Patterson to play winter ball in Venezuela, ignoring his workload of nearly 500 innings over two years.

Nuts.

3. Mattchu12 says:

The more hats that get thrown into the ring, I think the more we’re opening the door for the usual “they would have been better if they hired [insert name here] as the pitching coach.”

I wish we’d hire somebody already.

• whozat says:

hasn’t it been like…days? A week? Wouldn’t you rather that they, you know, find a good pitching coach?

• Mattchu12 says:

It’s been days, a week, and we’ve already heard about Mike Harkey, Scott Aldred, Leo Mazzone, Curt Young, Nardi Contreras, Rick Kranitz, and it’s only a matter of time before you throw Rick Peterson’s name into the mix since he might be on his way out of Milwaukee.

We only had what? Bowa, Pena, and Mattingly in the hunt for the manager’s job when Girardi got tabbed? We’re still hearing about who would have been better.

I largely suspect that Brian Cashman already knows who he wants to hire, just wish it would end and we could avoid adding more “woulda, coulda, shoulda” to the situation.

• UWS says:

I can only hope that you’re not responsible for making hiring decisions where you work. I’m pretty sure “make a hire just so everyone stops talking about it” is not a sound business policy.

Most of the names being thrown about are being brought up by the media. And, shocker, Yankees will be second-guessed no matter who they end up hiring.

• Mattchu12 says:

If I honestly thought there was going to be some sort of actual interviewing process, this would be different. Like I said, I’m sure Cash knows who he wants to hire already, he is probably just waiting for the World Series to be over. I’m not saying rush it, but I’m sure he had someone in mind when he fired Eiland.

4. Crosetti32 says:

Speaking of Leiter…..I never liked that trade for Barfield. Horrible!

5. bottom line says:

Dallas Green left Leiter in for something like 159 pitches on a cold damp night in Detroit– set him back three or four years. As I recall, Leiter struck out 10 that night — and walked nine (or vice versa).

6. Jerome S says:

One word:
    Strasburg.

7. Another Bronx Dynasty says:

Great article. Never really knew he was that damn good.

If he is a great coach regarding a pitchers mechanics than hire him & immediatley work with AJ & Joba.

8. MikeD says:

I remember Gil Patterson coming up. I was a kid, just getting into baseball, but I remember the buzz around him. I can only imagine what it would have been like today with all the media attention/blogs focused on minor league talent. I remember his career ended because of an arm injury, but I never really knew the story behind it, or that by the time I actually saw him pitch in the majors in 1977 that he had already torn his rotator cuff. Easily one of the top arms the Yankees drafted in the past thirty years.

9. Mister Delaware says:

Rough article. Even if you aren’t actively rooting for him, it would be tough to root against him.