Dec

Food For Thought: Robbie Cano

Baerga’s sudden and rather scary fall from grace was due in part to knee issues, but otherwise he was just a guy that peaked very early. Cano’s development path has been a bit more traditional, with his age 26 and 27 seasons being his two best to date. Middle infielders can unexpectedly fall off, perhaps due to the beating they take turning the double play at second, but I would be surprised if Cano just all of a sudden stopped being a productive big leaguer like Baerga.

(related graphs) (h/t Matt Imbrogno)

Categories : Playoffs

1. That is one strange graph.

2. Jacklyn Mehoff says:

On Baerga: “Because life in the big leagues was lavish, he wanted more and more. He says much of his life was involved with going to discos, alcohol, and women.”

3. 28 this year says:

don’t jinx it.

4. Jorge says:

Quick, trade him, Jesus Montero, Minka Kelly, and the Macombs Dam Bridge for Felix Hernandez.

5. Pasqua says:

Mike: Out of curiosity, when you generate these comparisons, is it trial and error, by which you compare Cano’s career (in this instance) to a bunch of other 2B until you find an interesting “match”? Or, do you have the comparisons in mind beforehand, b/c that would be pretty remarkable.

6. Mickey Scheister says:

Cano was awesome last year, I hope he builds on that stellar year and hasn’t completely peaked yet.

I’m optimistic he’ll have another great year but the realist in me expects some regression. He could regress a bit and still be one of the best 2B in the bigs.

“Cano will win a batting title someday”. – Every game Morgan EVER called that Robbie played in.

7. Brett says:

Dustin Pedroia is in a similar boat as well.

8. Jerome S. says:

Cano for HOF someday? You don’t get a lot of middle IF’s who both field and hit like Robbie. He’s been pretty healthy so far also, which means who could be pretty productive until at least his mid-thirties. Throw maybe a batting title and/or an MVP in there, I’d say he’s got a decent chance.

• Sean C says:

He’s too lazy to get into the HOF. Everyone knows that.

• Danimal says:

if you look at the graphs I posted with Morgan, Alomar, Sandberg… I think we need to see lots more years. If Cano keeps his trend of solid years through age 35/36, then I’d start that conversation back up. WAY too early.

These guys were all pretty much shoe-ins, so if Robbie can keep up, then I’d say yeah.