Jan

ESPN’s early-season slate heavy on the Yanks

The Worldwide Leader announced its Sunday Night Baseball lineup for the first few months of the 2011 season, and, as expected, it’s heavy on the Yanks. In three of the season’s first seven weeks, the Yanks will play on Sunday night with first pitch shortly after 8 p.m. Eastern time. They’ll face the Red Sox in Boston on April 10 before hosting the Rangers the following Sunday night. With the Red Sox in town on May 15, ESPN will air that game as well. The Subway Series the following weekend thankfully won’t air on ESPN, but the Yanks’ 1 p.m. Opening Day match-up against the Tigers on March 31st will.

ESPN’s decision to air so many Yankee games is one driven simply by ratings. Fans come out to watch the Yanks in droves, and while I can’t stand the late starts, the late ends and the overly dramatic production, at least we won’t be stuck with Joe Morgan and Jon Miller this year. With Dan Shulman, Orel Hershisher and Bobby Valentine manning the booth, the games should be more tolerable. ESPN’s Sunday night slate so far can be found right here.

Categories : Asides, News

1. I don’t mind Shulman, but I think Valentine might get annoying.

2. FIPster Doofus says:

Damn. I hate ESPN.

3. Chris says:

I HATE ESPN Sunday night games. Its ok if you are at home but when its one of the few games you go to….who wants to be at a game starting at 8? Especially vs Boston. You would be lucky to get out by midight,

• Brian in NH says:

I went to one of those early april games on a sunday night in boston. Terrible. It was freezing, the wind was whipping. I was wearing full winter gear basically. And the yanks got down big, almost made it interesting late, but ultimately fell short. It was a birthday present for my gf (an ardent sox fan) and it was not a great night overall.

4. Chris P says:

Rick Sutcliffe is even more annoying. Hopefully he has been removed from their Wednesday games.

5. The Real JobaWockeeZ says:

At least there’s no more Joe Moegan guys…

6. Poopy Pants says:

I am getting SO tired of ESPN’s obvious bias against the Yankees! How dare they show games!

• Tank the Frank says:

Listen to some of the commentary closely and then tell us what you think.

Or you could just take a look at any ESPN.com article since 2007.

• mbonzo says:

The announcing was always a bit anti-Yankees. Joe Miller was always overdramatic, but he tried to be equally overdramatic. Joe Morgan hates the Yankees though. I remember reading somewhere that he despised the Yankees since 1998 because ESPN really hyped up them being better than the big red machine. Everyone knows that Joe Morgan thinks his team was the best ever, even better than the 1927 Yankees. It seems weird for a normal person, but I can 100% see Morgan’s massive ego hate the Yankees for challenging his beloved big red machine. He does however, LOVE Robinson Cano… but who doesn’t?

• jsbrendog says:

why do you come here?

7. Rey22 says:

I don’t get the YES network so I’ll gladly put up with the crappy comments in order to catch more Yankee games on TV.

• Sean C says:

MLB.tv is a wonderful, wonderful thing. And only $100 or so per season, and totally worth it. If you have a PS3, there’s an application that lets you run games in hi-def on your tv. I watched more games last season than most others combined.

• Brian in NH says:

yes living outside of the YES network range sucks. I do get mlb network so i sometimes get the games there. can’t afford to shell out another $100 for mlb.tv though

8. Stan the Man says:

Nothing with Bobby Valentine in it is more tolerable. Give anyone but Bobby Valentine.

9. Mark G says:

Joe Morgan is the WORST next to Tim McGarver…the one is arrogant and always praises himself and his red machine. McGarver is just plain stupid and sounds like an illiterate. Both should be banned for their lousy work!!!!

10. twac00 says:

Now Fox needs to get rid of Joe Buck and Tim McCarver.