Jan

Open Thread: Jeter’s pad

(Photo Credit: Michael Egger, TBO.com)

That up there is Derek Jeter‘s now completed mansion on Davis Islands in Tampa. Here’s the construction photos we saw two summers ago, and here’s the east side spread Jeter is trying to unload for $20M. The new place sits on three lots of land that the Cap’n purchased for $7.7M back in the day, and the house itself cost another $7.7M. Seven bedrooms, nine bathrooms, and a Hillsborough County high 30,000 square feet make the place about as big as a Best Buy. From what I understand, it’s actually a pretty modest neighborhood and Jeter’s house sticks out like a sore thumb, but correct me if I’m wrong. The photo comes from TBO.com, and if you click through you’ll see some more photos of the place. It’s good to be king (of New York baseball), eh?

Anyways, once you pick your jaw off the floor, use this as your open thread. The Devils already played, but the Rangers, Knicks, and Nets are all in action tonight. You all know what to do, so have at it.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Avi says:

OMG! That trade Anaheim just made is the worst ever! Mike’s right, The Angels have been dying for a 3B. Arod for Weaver and Haren. Heck I’d do it for just one of them. Heck I’d do it for Brandon Wood!

• Avi says:

Seriously, A-rod’s got a lot more appeal than Wells and they need a 3rd baseman much more than an outfielder.

• bexarama says:

Heck I’d do it for Brandon Wood!

O_O I know A-Rod’s contract is gross but… no way. At least he’s still a productive, valuable player.

• Avi says:

If you can get rid of A-rod’s contract you do it. Arod’s my favorite player ever, but it won’t cost $29M to replace his production. He’s also likely to regress and or get hurt over the next 7 years..

• Kiersten says:

And after we trade A-Rod, our third baseman is… who?

• Avi says:

We start looking for one.

• mike c says:

we’ll also lose more games than we would have. who are we supposed to go get to play 3B? this is crazy talk… players like a-rod don’t just grow on trees and sign discount contracts… look at the deal beltre signed. and if the yankees can afford a $200M+ payroll why do you care about what a-rod gets paid? the yankees can still afford to get any player they really want at any time

• Avi says:

Arod’s contract is likely to be the single biggest liability in the sport over the next 7 years. Crazy would be having the opportunity to unload it and not taking it.

• OldYanksFan says:

Well…. that’s true. But what will it cost to have a Yankee who beaks Ruth’s HR record? Or maybe Aaron’s record? Or maybe Bonds’ record?

Do you really think the Yankees gave ARod a 10 year contract for his production?

If ARod passes Bonds, his contract will be considered the best in history.

2. radnom says:

Its certainly nicer than my apartment but am I the only one who thinks it looks pretty terrible? Especially the close up shots at TBO.com….its almost like they made a half hearted attempt at going for a stone castle look but it just comes across awkward.

3. Brooklyn Ed says:

just curious; what’s the best major league comparison for Warren, Phelps, Noesi, and Banuelos?

• Avi says:

I’m gonna go a little nuts here and say Johan for Manny B. Banuelos doesn’t have Johan’s breaking ball yet but the Fastball, change, left-handedness and size are all good comps for Johan.

• YankeesJunkie says:

Warren is Aceves with a better fastball. However, Warren has four pitches and knows how to use them. Not necessarily a starter in the AL East, but definitely will contribute quality innings in the major league level.

• mbonzo says:

I think Warren has a sick slow curveball he throws early in ABs.

• Avi says:

Warren is a fastball/slider guy from everything I’ve read. Between him, Noesi and Phelps he probably has the best breaking ball.

• mbonzo says:

He’s got 2-seam and 4-seam fastball, curveball, slider, cutter.

His curveball is supposed to be very good but hard to for him to command. Sounds like Burnett.

• Avi says:

Everything I’ve read has his breaking ball as fringy to average. Not like Burnett’s curveball which is elite. I’ll try to dig up a decent scouting report on him here.

• Avi says:

This is from BA in their league top 20 rankings.
                He succeeds by pitching off a heavy 90-93 mph fastball that allows him to keep the ball in the park (two homers in 81 innings) and get plenty of grounders (2.18 groundout/airout ratio).

Warren’s slow curveball was his second-best pitch in the FSL, while scouts in the Eastern League preferred is cutter-type slider.

• mbonzo says:

Well the only guy of the 4 that at best projects to be an ace is Banuelos, but Warren and Phelps could (IMO) if theres a miracle. Right now the last two project to be middle of the rotation starters.

As for comparisons, I’ve heard people compare Banuelos to Felix Hernandez.

4. Yankeefan91 Arod Fan says:

seriously do rich people really need nine bathrooms and seven bedrooms. do they think of the poor who wish to only have a room and 1 bathroom wow.

5. Will says:

Is that a Prius in his driveway? Somehow I doubt it’s his.

6. long time listener says:

I picked the wrong profession. I should’ve been a super-rich athlete.

7. JGS says:

That place probably costs a ton to keep in good condition

8. Icxe says:

Why Tampa?

9. UWS says:

The place that’s for sale looks so…sterile.

10. Kiersten says:

I’ve never understood houses tat have more bathrooms than bedrooms.

Also, I hope that condo has blackout shades on the windows.

11. Kiersten says:

Also, I don’t get having a huge house and no backyard. Especially in Florida.

12. Monteroisdinero says:

In a word, poor taste for our modest/team first, Captain. The guy is super in so many ways but nobody needs a house like that. It’s his right but it is over the top.

I heard his apt in NY isn’t selling. Something about no range.

• Esteban says:

Who knows what he ‘needs’. Do you have more than you technically need to survive?

• Monteroisdinero says:

Sorry. I guess I overlooked Minka’s needs. Can’t fault Jeets for 30,000 sq ft or just about anything else. Especially on this site. As one of the most famous athletes in the world, he has to keep up with his peers. I understand.

• I don’t have any issue with the size of the place, he’s earned the money and can spend it as he wishes.

My only criticism would be the place has the charm of a 12th century British fortress. The entire thing is made of stone. All its missing is a tower and vat of boiling oil.

• OldYanksFan says:

Christ! I hope it doesn’t sink!
        I have to guess the water table is at about 6 inches.
        Glad we paid the guy $51m.
        He obviously needs the money.

• Sean C says:

The man has made millions of dollars, I don’t understand how it’s any of your concern how he spends it. He could by 30 Bugatti Veyron 16.4′s if he felt like it. It’s none of our business what he does. But, well, damn that’s a huge house.

13. Esteban says:

I don’t know, but that house to the left in the picture above looks pretty gigantic too and not very modest.

14. Jeter needs some tips on home decor from the pro. Just look at the entrance to Mo’s house.

Now there is a man who knows how to build a place.

15. On the heels of Brock’s fine dissertation on ‘grit’ I’d like to solicit some help on something I’ve been working on. I may even spin this off into a T-Shirt or a post over at TYU (or both). Here it is:

YOU’RE TOO STUPID TO WATCH BASEBALL IF

-You think games in April should be played like the 7th game of the World Series

-You think relievers are more valuable than starters

-You attack an umpire for blowing a call after you’ve watched it from 8 different angles in slow motion

-You think the best team is the whoever wins the World Series

-You have ever referred to a favorite player as “gritty” or “gutty”

- You have ever uttered the phrase “That guy there, he’s just a ‘baseball player’. ”

-You believe in curses

-You have ever uttered the phrase “He’s due”

That’s what I have so far. Any others?

16. Avi says:

Seriously, that bed in his condo should go to the Hall of Fame. Seen the most action evah!

17. Nebkreb says:

The Dark Knight is on TV. Your argument is invalid.

18. Monteroisdinero says:

Any chance we can listen to the bleacher “roll call”? Would be great to see each player react to his name being called. Love the Gardy muscle pose. It could come on every time you click on RAB! I might prefer Bob Shepherd’s voice but Jeter has that too.

19. Joey says:

Tiger Wood’s new pad puts that to shame! Lol

20. Xstar7 says:

Knicks lost again. Fuck

21. Mantle28 says:

Few Scenarios for trades and if you would do them:

Montero for Strasburg(with the curent injury)

Montero for Bryce Harper

Montero for The pirates 1st pick this year (AKA Anthony Rendon)

Hughes and Montero for Kershaw

Arod for nothing(a team takes him and his contract)

22. Rob NY says:

I don’t begrudge the guy having the biggest house in the world if he wants it. He earned it. But wtf do you do with all that house?

23. freedy says:

no back yard

24. Greg says:

I never understood the deal with having a big house and no yard. I grew up in a very modest house, but the yard was literally 40 times the square footage of the house. I could understand maybe having a yard a fourth of that, but anything less is just weird to me. Keep in mind, I am talking about when you have an actual house and can afford to have a yard. Obviously doesn’t apply to condos/apartments and areas where lots are all super small.

25. bonestock94 says:

I think he’ll get over the lack of a backyard when he’s having sex with a model and using GPS to navigate his house.

26. Jerome S. says:

Oh, the yard thing. Don’t worry, he bought central park. And is airlifting it to Tampa.

27. OMG Bagels! says:

He spent his summers on Greenwood Lake at his grandmother’s. He built her a new place which is enormous by GL standards but extremely modest compared to richer communities. But it has a pool on the lake and no backyard. So maybe that’s what he was basing it on.

28. MOMO says:

meh. looks like a catering hall