Mar

Cashman shoots down Perez rumor, thankfully

Via Chad Jennings, Brian Cashman shot down the rumor about the Yankees having interest in Oliver Perez rather bluntly this afternoon. “I was asked [by those] above me to look into it just to be certain,” said Cashman. “We always look at everything, but it’s not something that right now makes sense for us based on everything we’ve seen.” That’s the politically correct way of saying Perez sucks.

It’s also good to know that those above Cashman have such a keen eye for talent that they asked him to check out Perez. You can never be too sure, right?

Categories : Asides

1. Sabermetrically Challenged says:

with what the Yankees have done to help rehab former stars so far, I wouldnt mind if him and Rothschild watched some tape, redid his mechanics, or maybe get him injury rehab

• Ted Nelson says:

I also don’t think it’s crazy to at least look into Perez, but I’m not sure the Yankees have really done much to rehab former stars so far… Garcia, Colon, Prior, and Ayala all came to ST this season at some level of being rehabbed and ready to go (3 of the four have done well in ST at least and 1 has done decently for 1.25 seasons now). They rehabbed before joining the Yankees and the Yankees are just giving them a chance. Perez, on the other hand, seems like more of a long-term project since he’s stunk for two seasons plus this spring training: I see no sign that he’s anywhere near ready to go. I would not take Perez with any ambition of getting MLB contribution this season, but rather to put him in extended spring training and do the fix-it work you refer to. Maybe if he’d go for a minor league deal with an option for a second year (if that’s possible) at the minimum with incentives.

2. JAG says:

Thank god they ran it by him first. Ownership always seems to do strange things but at least they consulted their expert.

3. Drew says:

so there is a God.

4. JobaWockeeZ says:

There’s absolutely no harm in asking but did the higher ups really need another look?

Thankfully they let Cash handle it this time.

5. I can fix him in 10 minutes.

6. Jess says:

“It’s also good to know that those above Cashman have such a keen eye for talent that they asked him to check out Perez”

So cut the crap and tell us who you are taking a shot at Mike? You are acting like it is some mortal sin to ask about Perez.

7. bonestock94 says:

I kinda wanted the Mets to pay $11.5 mil or so for Perez to be a mop up guy in Scranton-Wilkes Barre.

• Ted Nelson says:

I think the only way you sign Perez is to put him in extended spring training and then the minors to try to get him right… but that requires Perez to actually want to get back to where he was and ride around on a bus with a bunch of kids rather than sit at home and count/spend his money. I have no idea what Oliver Perez wants to do with his life, so I’d guess the odds are like 50/50.

• MannyGeee says:

I would ttly sign Ollie Perez to be the hier apparant for Kei Igawa… Because here at The New York Yankees, it truely is all about planning for the future…

8. NJYankeeFan says:

————————————————————————————————
    Is that a joke?
    With Cashman’s repeated ineptitude evaluating pitching, He can use all the help he can get.

9. Ted Nelson says:

I find it funny that fans get mad both when the guys above Cashman make baseball decisions and also when they decline to make baseball decisions and defer to Cashman instead… It’s hard to say that they–assuming it’s the same they–should not have made a decision on the pitching talent and projected value of Rafael Soriano, but then argue that they should have the baseball acumen and invest the required time to break-down tape and do investigative work to find out what is wrong with Oliver Perez.