Mar

Yankees have some interest in Oliver Perez, dark sense of humor

Via Jon Heyman, the Yankees have some interest in Oliver Perez and have internally discussed bringing him aboard as a cheap sign. It can’t get any cheaper; whatever team signs Perez would only have to pay him the pro-rated portion of the league minimum. Little brother in Flushing is on the hook for basically all of his $12M salary this year.

I always say there’s no harm in a minor league contract/league minimum big league contract, but I understand if it’s tough to see any upside here. Perez, even though he’s still just 29, is done, like done done. He’s been throwing 85 mph nothingballs in camp the last few weeks, and the last time his FIP even approached the league average was 2007. There’s very little to like here; at least Bartolo Colon is showing something this spring. Heyman says that Brian Cashman isn’t terribly enthused by Ollie, and let’s hope his superiors feel the same way.

Categories : Asides

1. What would they even use him for? His starting days are long, long over and the Yankees have no need for another lefty. Zero reason to even take a chance on him.

2. Jerome S. says:

How could a 29 year old suck so bad?

3. A.D. says:

Are they signing Rick Peterson to go with him?

4. Cy Pettitte says:

the Yankees front office will be cast for an episode of “Hoarders” soon if they keep this up

5. I can fix him in 10 minutes.

6. Gordon says:

We don’t need any more pitchers!

7. Gordon says:

We don’t need any more pitchers. We’re good right now!

8. ShuutoHeat says:

*Notices Heyman’s name*
    *Makes connection to Boras*
    *Chuckles*

9. Steve H says:

People snickered when Colon was signed too.

I’d give Ollie a chance on a minor league deal. Get him working with Rothschild (for now) and Contreras and see if they can find something wrong. Hell, get them watching tape now to help make a decision. On a minor league deal there’s worse you can do. The odds of him paying off are great, but the risk is low.

• jim p says:

I don’t follow the Mets closely, but have a friend who does. I have the impression it’s the attitude/concentration/professionalism aspect which is the bigger problem with Perez, leading to bad performance even when he had stuff.

• Steve H says:

That’s certainly something to weigh. 1 strike and he’s gone, plus, getting away from the dysfunction of the Mets has to be good for ones outlook on life.

10. JobaWockeeZ says:

I’ve got a bad feeling about this. Cash must do whatever it takes to not sign Perez.

• Accent Shallow says:

Meh, they signed Chan Ho Park, I already have zero faith in their ability to evaluate pitching.

(I’m kidding. But Perez is done.)

11. Jonathan says:

I rarely get caught up in the comments on MLBTR but holy shit you people have to read them. It is downright pathetic and comical. To the rational fan it is obvious Heyman fueled this rumor and even if we wanted him, there would be zero risk in the deal. Yet every Yankee bashing or Mets fan is just all over us. Do Mets fans really have room to say shit? I mean who is in worse shape than the Mets? There are definitely worse teams out there, but when you add in the fact that their owner might owe over a billion and they’re paying $133MM+ for that sack of shit team…you’d think they’d shut their mouths before we remind them it would cost the Yankees less than the Mets are paying Bonilla this year to take a chance on Perez in Triple A.

12. bexarama says:

I know there’s 0 risk but no, gracias

13. kstew says:

I’m a 26-year old righty that can pitch just as poorly….I’ll take the contract!

14. Nemesis says:

Montero should go with the pants low look looks like a better hitter that way. Yea it said it…..

15. NJYankeeFan says:

If they sign Ollie, what’s next, giving Igawa another shot?

16. I want him to join the four aces in Philly.

17. bonestock94 says:

They should just do it for the lols

18. Super Nintendo Chalmers says:

I hear Charleston needs a hot dog vendor…as long as they aren’t looking at him as a pitcher.

19. 4everbronx says:

I threw 85 once, at a fair, and I’ve never been offered $12 million. I could do it again for the league minimum.

• Ted Nelson says:

Jamie Moyer hasn’t averaged 82 mph on his fastball since 2002. There’s more to pitching than velocity.

20. vin says:

Is this if Kei Igawa decides to spend the year in Japan with his family?

21. Ultimate Yankee Warrior (James) says:

This is Cashman trolling me.

22. Tom Zig says:

As long as it’s not a guaranteed deal and costs a pro-rated amount of the ML minimum, then what’s the harm?

The Yankees took a chance on re-treads of the like of Prior, Colon, and Garcia. Hell they even had Victor Zambrano in the minors in 08. They’re even looking at Kevin Millwood.

One thing that Ollie offers that none of that cast of characters can offer is that he is left handed. Aside from that, he’s on the same level as all of them.

The only problem is that he spent significant time on the Mets. He needs to be quarantined in an another organization first so the Yankees/their farm system doesn’t get infected with Metsenfreude.

• Ted Nelson says:

“Aside from that, he’s on the same level as all of them.”

He pitched in one of the most pitcher friendly parks in baseball last season and his FIP was 7. Seven. S-e-v-e-n. In 2009 is was 6.4. To say he’s on the same level as Freddy Garcia or Kevin Millwood is just ignorant.

23. Fernando says:

NO…NO…NO…NO…
    400 thousand times no

• ADam says:

“It’d be better to donate the 400K to the Japanese Relief Fund, than wasting it on Perez.”

Very well put

24. Ted Nelson says:

I guess he might be worth a look in extended spring training or spending the year in Scranton if he were so inclined… If I were making $12 mm this year to do absolutely nothing, though, I would be on a beach somewhere and not riding around the mid-atlantic on a bus.

25. Matt says:

He’s under 30 and he throws with his left hand. Once upon a time he threw hard.

This makes sense for the league minimum (just not for $12 million/year).

26. Smallz says:

Some of these comments really had me laughing out loud in my office. Kudos guys. I was breakin my friend whos a Met fans chops today sayin if they do sign I hope he throws a perfect game and then just shrugs and says “I always wanted to a Yankee”