Mar

Open Thread: Grandy’s 50-50 for Opening Day

(AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar)

There’s good news and bad news about Curtis Granderson‘s oblique injury. The bad news it’s rendered him questionable for Opening Day, but the good news is that it’s not serious enough that a stint on the disabled list is a foregone conclusion. The Grandyman took some swings off a tee and played a little catch today, saying that he thinks he’s got a 50-50 chance of being ready by Thursday. In other news, Gustavo Molina caught CC Sabathia in a minor league game this morning before catching the big league relievers in the official game this afternoon, so yeah, pretty good indication that he’s making the team.

Anyway, here’s the open thread for the night. MLB Network is showing the Twins and Red Sox (live), plus the Knicks, Nets, and Devils are playing. Oh, and there’s college basketball as well. You all know what’s up, so have at it.

Categories : Injuries, Open Thread

1. CMP says:

Looks like Molina is gonna be backup catcher which is a good thing because it doesn’t look like Montero is ready especially behind the dish. No sense in rushing him at this point with the offense being the least of their worries.

2. OldYanksFan says:

Agree. For Monty to have made the team this Spring, he would really have had to impress…. which he didn’t. Looking at it now, getting Martin was a great get for Cashman. Considering how bleak things looked the day after Cliff signed with Philly, I think things have turned out reasonable well.

It’s a shame Colon could not have dropped some weight. If he knew his arm still had some life, he really killed his chances of starting by being so heavy. I sometimes wonder how serious some of these guys really are. He could have Nolan Ryan’s arm, but his weight at his age is a major impediment.

• CMP says:

He still should have won a spot in the starting 5 over Garcia regardless of his weight.

• whozat says:

Freddy Garcia threw 160 tolerable innings in the AL last year. I agree that Colon had a better spring, and that his stuff looked more impressive, but ignoring the 2010 sample in favor of a handful of Spring Training starts would make no sense.

• thumper says:

But why use logic here??? It’s the what have you done for me lately mindset and stimulating those internet traffic hits. (Tex crushed the ball again is ST, and we all know how the season is going to start for him.) If you want to really boil your blood pressure, head over to espn and read Wallace’s article.

Besides, if Garcia tanks, Colon’s still on the team anyway and you can just slide him into the 5th spot if need be.

• CMP says:

Colon has totally outpitched Garcia this spring and besides his better results, his stuff has been much better according to every scouting report and article I’ve read. There is nothing to lose by letting Colon pitch until he proves he can’t do the job.

At least there is some upside there. Are you worried you might get 100 mediocre innings out of Garcia instead of 160 like last year???????

• CMP says:

Your comment makes no sense. The 160 mediocre (at best) innings Garcia threw last year are irrelevant to the argument as to who is the better starting pitcher right now.
          The Yankees likely won’t need more than 100 innings out of those 2 if they’re successful in aquiring a better pitcher or moving up someone from AAA.

Maybe if I said the Yankees should cut Garcia in favor of Colon you would have a point.

• thumper says:

Colon hasn’t pitched effectively for years though. I’ll take Garcia’s 160 inning sample over Colon’s 15 inning of spring training. You can’t discount all of last year for a few 2-3 inning stints. He’s throwing 95 mph now because he’s been pitching winter ball; he’s at his peak, whereas Garcia notriously pitches poorly in ST. For the next few months, Garcia projects to be better.

I’m not expecting a whole lot from either, as long as the 5th starter passes the Better Than Javy 2010 test.

• Pasqua says:

Garcia’s innings in 2010 are not irrelevant. They are a measurable body of work. It’s just as easy to say Colon’s handful of innings in ST are more irrelevant; sample size, level of competition, etc.

One way to come to terms with it is this: Colon’s on the team. If Garcia shits the bed, Colon can replace him if need be (and, likely, shit the bed as well).

• MannyGee says:

disagree, you play the hot hand… not like Garcia has suiters knocking down his door.

you start Colon until his arm falls off in May and you have Freddy fresh in the “Ace Chair”… When Freddy goes to shit Millwood will be all stretched out… that should carry us through June when the Indians are out of it and we can get Carmona…

see? simple math.

3. 28 this year says:

I have to do a research paper for high school connecting three things. I am planning on doing 1984 by George Orwell and Guernica (a painting by Picasso) and I need either a movie or song for the third thing. Any ideas for that third thing and/or a thesis>

• Jerome S. says:

Do All Quiet on the Western Front, and do something about Post ww1 disillusionment or statism.

Yeah, it’s been done, but it’s a good idea.

• thumper says:

Instead of pigeonholing yourself into a specific book and painting, wouldn’t in make more sense to come up with a broad thesis -> pick 3 things that are somewhat related -> then narrow it down to a concise thesis.

Just a random thought from a stranger on the interwebs. You might look at Vonnegut’s Slaughterhouse Five, Guernica, and then pick any war film depending on how you want to take it with your thesis.

• CMP says:

The movie could be V with Natalie portman and Hugo Weaver which was about a totalitarian society like 1984.

• Tank the Frank says:

For a movie I think A Clockwork Orange or 2001: A Space Odyssey would work. Both Stanley Kubrick movies are well known for their classical score that should go well with your paper and A Clockwork Orange shares some themes with 1984.

• 28 this year says:

thanks for the help guys!

• sausage face says:

Try doing it with Planet of the Abes with Mark Wallberg.

• nsalem says:

Movie: Brazil Terry Gilliam
      Music: Ascension John Coltrane

4. squishy jello person says:

Asked on Twitter, worth asking here: anyone feeling a monster A-Rod year?

• Monteroisdinero says:

With good health, I am. The loss of weight really seems to help him and the loss of steroids does not seem to be affecting his power.

The acquisition of that great, off the field, latin talent “Diaz” seems to be helping his game too. :-) Might be one of our best offseason pickups.

• My pick for AL MVP. I’d take A-Gon, but he’s coming back from shoulder surgery which should sap his power a bit. Especially in the beginning of the year. Alex looks healthy and primed for monster year.

• MannyGee says:

only Cameron will be feeling a Monster A-Rod ANYTHING this year

5. JM says:

I’m doing a fantasy Draft right now, and I waited too long for a 1B. It ain’t looking good. I guess I’ll join another league also to compensate. I’ll show my results to see what you guys think, but I’m not too happy so far.

6. Gonzo says:

Over under on Millwood starts this year?

7. JM says:

Bench:
    Burnett
    Kevin Gregg
    Wieters
    Uribe
    Montero

Is this any good? I though I could’ve done much better.

• CMP says:

I like Wieters on the bench. If things finally click for him, you could trade him for a better 3rd baseman.

• boogie down says:

Perhaps not great, but definitely solid. My guess is that waiver wire acquisitions and late-round draftees have more to do with the league’s winner than anything else; stars will be stars, and we know that.

Here’s my first-ever FBB draft (10-team, mixed):

RP Mike Adams

BN Gaby Sanchez
      BN Aaron Hill
      BN Travis Snider
      BN Omar Infante

What do you guys think?

• squishy jello person says:

You did this in a 10 team league!?!?

• boogie down says:

My first five picks were: Albert, Zim, Felix, Upton, and Heyward. It absolutely helped that I was at one end of the draft snake, getting the last even-numbered pick and first odd-numbered one back-to-back. Felix falling to me at #21 was a little surprising: I thought he’d be gone in the 14-17 range, if not higher.

Pitching being as deep as it is, there were a lot of relative bargain picks: our 6th round saw Price, Josh Johnson, Gallardo, Hamels, and Latos picked, followed by Greinke at #61.

• Ryan says:

is that so surprising?

• MannyGee says:

dunno how late you grabbed Latos, but I think once he comes back from the burstitis he is going to surprise some folks.

I took him somewhere down in the 140s, great sleeper pick

8. Tom Zig says:

RAB Conference League South needs 1 more person.

9. Jack says:

League ID: 103464
    Password: riveraveblues

Got six spots left, draft is tomorrow.

10. Poopy Pants says:

Is Colon the ‘mop up man’ right now? or will someone else get that role?

11. Dax J. says:

Hey guys! My Fantasy League draft was today, and here are my picks. Can you guys evaluate my team and tell me how I did? It’s a 10-Team league.

C/1B – Victor Martinez
    RP – Joe Nathan
    P – Ryan Dempster
    P – Hiroki Kuroda
    P – Trevor Cahill
    P – Johnny Cueto

• mbonzo says:

Pretty nice draft. I would say your pitching is a bit weak, but you have lots of offensive depth. I’d try and trade or drop guys like Uribe and Miguel Montero for a SP and RP.

12. JZ says:

Anyone catch this turd in the NYT this morning? According to Mike Tully, smart GMs should do everything to get David Eckstein and Carlos Pena, cause when they’re on the field their teams win. Also, the Yanks are much better off without ARod. And the Reds are better off when the reigning NL MVP is on the bench.

13. Tommy says:

Two more spots just opened up in the RAB Conference American League. The draft is at 630 this evening. League ID is 62821 and the password is riveraveblues.