Open Thread: March 5th Camp NotesBy
The latest from Tampa…
- The Yankees and Nationals played a wild one today, with the former Expos prevailing 10-8. CC Sabathia got smacked around in his 2.2 IP of work, then said he wasn’t going to lose any sleep. In fact, the second start of spring hasn’t been kind to the left-hander, historically. Brett Gardner had a double and a triple, Jorge Vazquez and Austin Romine a double each, and Jesus Montero went 2-for-3. The Yankees scored all eight runs in the fourth inning. Some pitchers that won’t be on the team come Opening Day (Romulo Sanchez and Daniel Turpen) blew the lead late. Here’s the box score.
- Jesus Montero took a foul tip off his right hand, but there’s no real concern about an injury. “I’ll wait to see how Monty’s finger is tomorrow, but he finished, and he had great strength in it,” said Joe Girardi. “Those hurt, but as a catcher you’ve just got to take it.” (Chad Jennings)
- Andrew Brackman threw 30 pitches in the bullpen then another 25 to batters in a simulated game; his groin/hip issue was tested with a comebacker on the first pitch. The big right-hander is likely to get into a game either Monday or Tuesday. Warner Madrigal also threw live BP while Freddy Garcia, Ivan Nova, Dellin Betances, and Adam Warren all threw bullpen sessions. (Jennings, Marc Carig & Erik Boland)
- Frankie Cervelli is in high spirits despite his fractured foot. “I’m positive,” said the catcher. “A lot of people in the world, they don’t have legs, they don’t have arms. I’m healthy. It’s going to be okay.” (Boland)
- The Yankees are doomed to finish third this year because pitchers were busy practicing their putting on the backfield instead of working on a new pitch. What teh hell? (Ben Shpigel)
Here’s the open thread for the night. The Isles and Nets already played, but there’s a ton of college basketball on plus a replay of today’s Marlins-Red Sox game on MLB Network. Chat about whatever, go nuts.