Mar

Yankees on Felix’s no-trade list

Via Ken Rosenthal, the Yankees are one of ten teams listed in Felix Hernandez’s no-trade clause. Others include the Red Sox, Mets, Angels, Dodgers, and Phillies, so Felix clearly can’t handle the pressure of a big market. Am I doing this right? That’s how it worked for Zack Greinke, no?

Anyway, the reason big market teams are on everyone’s no-trade clause is because they are the clubs that can offer the most in exchange for waiving it. If a player wants an extension or an option picked up as a condition of accepting a trade, well the big market teams can give it to them. It’s that simple, it’s all about maximizing leverage. Should the Yankees and Mariners ever get in serious talks about Felix, the NTC will be the smallest of obstacles.

Categories : Asides

1. JP says:

Fine with me. If he can’t handle New York, then I don’t want him here.

2. Gonzo says:

The NTC is tehre for potential $$ reasons. I think most people know that by know. Just in case he wants a FAT extension, he can ask for one with leverage.

I assume that was the same reason for Greinke’s. I don’t think the Yankees viewed this as the sole reason for passing on him. Am I missing something with the Greinke reference?

3. mike_h says:

I’d give up Jesus Montero, David Adams, Dellin Betances, Ryan Pope, Ivan Nova, and Brandon Laird for King Felix. Keeping Nunez out because Jeter is old and we need a good backup in case of injury.

this way you can develop Romine a bit more in AAA and keep Russell Martin for another year.

But Manny Banuelos is untouchable. Good lefty starters are hard to come by.

• Bryan L says:

Good hitting catchers are hard to come by as well…

• Steve H says:

So would every Yankee fan ever. Good luck getting the Mariners to take that.

• Tom Zig says:

Yeah really. I’d stuff them all in my 2-door honda civic and drive them out to Seattle myself if that were the case.

The guys over at the TYA have the right starting point for a trade with Seattle. You headline the package with Jesus, Banuelos, and Betances. Then you use the 2nd tier of prospects as throw ins. Even then though, Seattle probably says no.

Think Jesus + all 3 Bs, Nunez, Adams, and a low level high upside guy like Slade or B. Marshall. I bet that would convince Seattle to say yes. 7 for 1.

• Mike Axisa says:

That’s too much, but it took six guys to get Haren (from the Angels), including two star caliber prospects.

• Steve H says:

Look at the Haren to the D-Backs and Mulder to the Cardinals deals. Those were huge, huge packages that were financially motivated. The Mariners have Felix signed to a good contract for a few more years and have plenty of money. I think to get Felix right now, it would have to be a huge overpay, in which case it’s not worth it. The Mariners wouldn’t trade Felix for 100% value, they’d want 150% to justify it. The only trade that makes sense for the Mariners wouldn’t make sense for the Yankees.

• Empty the farm for one guy? You’re nuts, even if it’s the King!

• Tom Zig says:

I didn’t say I would do it. I was just saying that in my opinion that’s what it would likely take to get Seattle to say yes. It’s an overpay for sure.

• Kevin says:

I agree with that. If the B’s continue to progress they can slot right behind CC & Phil to form a real young (except for CC and it’s not like he’s over the hill yet) and talented rotation for years to come. The Yanks could offer a nice package of prospects but I wouldn’t offer them our 5 best propsects. Montero, Betances, Joba and a few second tier guys. If they don’t like it then hang up the phone Cash. Seattle has already screwed with us on the Lee deal so I wouldn’t hand them over our promising farm system.

• Ted Nelson says:

Agreed.

• Stan the Man says:

Cashman hasn’t come across as the type of GM that gets right back into bed with another GM who wronged him in the past…After the Marniners pulled a fast one on the Yanks last year, pissing off most of the front office including Cashman I wouldn’t be surprised if the Yanks don’t engage Seattle at all this year, unless their asking price drops for a potential trade of their top pitcher and they can claim some level of retribution.

4. 24fan says:

There were legitimate reasons to question whether Greinke could handle New York, and none of the legitimate reasons revolved around his no-trade clause. Greinke said himself he didn’t think he could handle New York. Could that have changed? Sure. But to say it shouldn’t give the club pause is questionable to say the least.

You clearly think Grienke could handle New York and that is a valid opinion. But there is no reason to belittle and demonize the opposing viewpoint. Shots like this only add to the hostility that we see in the comments and, to me anyways, it is unnecessary.

5. A.D. says:

I mean lets not discount that some players don’t want to play some places, Vazquez for one did not want to pitch for anybody on the west coast, much is leverage, but some is true regional choice

6. Fair Weather Freddy says:

This King Felix to the Yanks talk just won’t die, no matter how many times the Mariners GM says he isn’t trading him. I agree with him. He is still young enough to build around him, and they have Michael Pineda joining him in the rotation this year. They also signed James Paxton, their 4th round draft pick last year and he could come fast. And with the 2nd pick in the draft, they could take Gerrit Cole (Ugh!) if the Pirates don’t grab him first. I imagine Cold could be in the majors in 2 years.

7. Andrew says:

No biggie if Felix doesn’t want to come to the Yankees, they already have a 20 year old guy in the minors with nothing left to prove or learn down there since minor league experience is totally useless. His readiness means Felix would just be an unnecessary luxury at this point. Oh and I have all the evidence in the world behind me on this one so don’t bother trying to tell me I’m wrong.

• Tom Zig says:

It’s not that he doesn’t want to come to NY. His agent told him to put those teams on his NT list. His agent is a smart guy.

• fire levine says:

If his agent is a smart guy he would have A) signed with the yanks in the first place. B) not signed away 2 years of free agency

8. Jess says:

Just imagine how Zack Greinke’s basketball incident would have played in New York.

• Rick in Boston says:

If it turned out like Aaron Boone’s, nobody would have complained. But if he got hurt after the Yanks had trained a Killer B or two and other parts? Ouch.

9. Joba's slider says:

Fans in Seattle go to see 2 guys play baseball, Felix and Ichero.
    The team is so far from being competetive, they are keeping Felix to keep the rest of the fans they have right now. Season tix anyone for non-Felix fielding Mariners? I dont think so….

10. Will says:

Why is it that these players that want leverage don’t simply list EVERY team in the no-trade clause?

11. reed says:

if the yankees were to trade for felix i definitlely think cashman would do it. What i would give up is a package of banuelos, betances,thomas kahnle, bryan mitchell and gary sanchez. Remember they are going to want 5 can’t miss guys for felix. You say why give up banuelos well I’ve looked at their system and read scouting reports and seen videos of this other prosspect. This prospect report says he should have the strength to pitch deep into games and I like whAT i saw in the video of him. He could be this minor league seasons version of manny banuelos. Dead serious when ia say this. He ‘s also got two inches on banuelos ,and i expect his velocity to pick up eventually. That prospects name is chris cabrera. Yankee fans need to watch out for this guy. I know everybody is high on banuelos right now. Cabrera has i think even better mechanics than Banuelos and I think will be an even better pitcher. This guy has the potential to dominate also. He’s already throwing last year 90-91 at age 18. He’s also one year younger than banuelos.. If we keep cabrera and trade for felix, at this time next year people will be talking about cabrera the way they were talking about banuelos.

12. Seattle says:

looks interesting! I bookmarked it, will read it later. keep up the good work bros!