Apr

Actual subways to return to Subway Race tonight

The Yanks' own subway trains are going the way of the dodo. (Photo by Benjamin Kabak)

The Great City Subway Race has been much on our minds lately. We were shocked when Opening Day brought about changes to the race, and with Yankee-themed trains replacing the MTA’s B, D and 4 lines, we learned how the Yankees and the MTA were at odds over the race’s sponsorship. For Yankee fans who enjoy the silliness of it all, this story has a happy ending.

As Mark Feinsand reported and MTA sources confirmed to me, the B, D and 4 trains will return to the scoreboard tonight. The Yankees and MTA have settled their differences, and the race will retain its sponsorship while featuring a public service announcement urging fans to take mass transit to and from the game. For its part, the MTA said it is “glad the B, D, and Jason Zillo’s beloved 4 train are back as part of the fan experience at Yankee Stadium. The Subway Race will continue to remind fans that taking the train to the game remains the quickest and least expensive way to get to the game.”

Thus ends our long national nightmare. RIP Road Gray, Pinstripe and Midnight Blue. We hardly knew ye.

Categories : Yankee Stadium

1. Look at Kabak, throwing his weight around from his mom’s basement. Nice work.

2. Yank the Frank says:

I love Happy Endings.

3. MannyGeee says:

not we can get back to real issues… like the Freddy Garcia era begins tonight!!

4. Kiersten says:

Mark Teixeira was a fan of the new trains.

• Mark Teixeira: I love… Cotton Eye Joe. I love… YMCA.
      Derek Jeter: Mark, are you just looking at things in the stadium and saying that you love them?
      Mark Teixeira: I love trains.
      Derek Jeter: Do you really love the trains, or are you just saying it because you saw it?
      Mark Teixeira: I love trains! I love trains.

• Words cannot even explain how much I missed you, TSJC.

• Francis says:

The sad thing is, that might have been an actual conversation between Tex and Jeter.

• Mark Teixeira: Excuse me, Kim?
          Kim Jones: Yes? What is it, Mark?
          Mark Teixeira: I would like to extend to you an invitation to the pants party.
          Kim Jones: Excuse me?
          Mark Teixeira: [struggling] The… party. With the… with the pants. Party with pants?
          Kim Jones: Mark, are you saying that there’s a party in your pants and that I’m invited?
          Mark Teixeira: That’s it.
          Kim Jones: Did Alex tell you to say this, Mark?
          Mark Teixeira: No. Yes. He did.
          Kim Jones: Okay. No, I don’t want to go to a party in your pants.
          Mark Teixeira: Very well. Jack, would you like to go to a party in my pants?
          Jack Curry: No, Mark.
          Mark Teixeira: All right. Let’s go!
          [runs off, there is a sound of crashing off screen]
          Mark Teixeira: It’s all right. I’m all right.

• Frigidevil says:

Jeter: Boy, that escalated quickly… I mean, that really got out of hand fast.
            Posada: It jumped up a notch.
            Jeter: It did, didn’t it?
            Teixeira: Yeah, I stabbed a man in the heart.
            Jeter: I saw that. Mark killed a guy. Did you throw a trident?
            Teixeira: Yeah, there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident.
            Jeter: Mark, I’ve been meaning to talk to you about that. You should find yourself a safehouse or a relative close by. Lay low for a while, because you’re probably wanted for murder.

• CBean says:

I really should heed the eat/drink warnings when reading the comments.

5. RIP Road Gray, Pinstripe and Midnight Blue. We hardly knew ye.

Godspeed, fellows. Gone too soon.

6. Jared says:

This really hasn’t been on my mind. I couldn’t care less what the trains are labeled as. I don’t even pay attention to the video when they play it at the game. I think your just a little obsessed with this, Ben. =P

7. A.D. says:

Bam best development of the season, lets go 4 train

8. Just remember Ben, with great power comes great responsibility. We expect great things from you.

9. Uncle Mike says:

If only last night’s game had as happy an ending.

10. PoeJep says:

The city is great, couldnt agree more. As for, “subway race tonight”, who gives a fuck. Guess some of you do and hence the insistence on ramming it down as front page chatter.

11. Accent Shallow says:

I’m all for this, as long as the D is orange, and the B never wins.

12. Evan says:

Im sure Bronx Parking will be thrilled that the Yankees are encouraging more fans to take public transportation.

13. MikeD says:

What was the final record for Road Gray, Pinstripe and Midnight Blue????!!! I have money riding of this. Okay, perhaps not.