May

Open Thread: Hang on to the roof!

Apparently you can embed MLB.com video now, so we’re going to have a lot of run with this. I was a few weeks shy of my 14th birthday when Don Mattingly hit that homer, and that’s pretty much the first time I can remember feeling nothing but pure, unadulterated joy thanks to a baseball game. For those too young to remember, that was the sixth inning of Game Two of the 1995 ALDS, which the Yankees entered down 2-1 to the Mariners. Ruben Sierra led off the inning with a solo homer to tie, then Mattingly hit that bomb to give the Yankees the lead. Bananas. It was amazing.

Anyway, keep yourselves busy with this open thread until the regular old game thread comes along a little later. I loath these west case weekend night games. You all know what to do, so have at it.

Categories : Open Thread

1. jon says:

nothing is worse than a west coast night game on a weekend

2. Kiersten says:

Nobody beats The Wiz.

(Except Best Buy, Circuit City, J&R, etc.)

• Mickey Scheister says:

Nobody beats The Miz.

(Except Cena, Randy Orton or Taker, etc)

• BigBlueAL says:

I’m the Miz and I’m AWESOME!!

• Xstar7 says:

I don’t understand how anyone could actually like the Miz.

• BigBlueAL says:

I used to LOVE wrestling when I was a little kid in the late 80′s. I stopped watching it but got really back into it in the late 90′s thanks to the nWo and the attitude era in the WWF.

But lately its pretty tough to watch. Was excited to see the Rock come back again and might go to the next WrestleMania since its in Miami, the Rock is going to wrestle in it and my bro and his friends might go so I would probably tag along too.

But when I feel like watching wrestling now I just pop in a DVD of wrestling from the 80′s and 90′s.

3. bexarama says:

I love being blacked out of like every baseball game on now :|

• Mickey Scheister says:

You must have DirecTV with the random blackouts. As soon as my contract is up, they gone!

• bexarama says:

Nah, FOX has like six games on and won’t let you watch any of the games they have on that aren’t on in your specific market.

• Pat D says:

Yea, I have DirecTV. The only games I don’t see are FOX affected games and like every Phillies game for some reason.

I think that’s strange because I’m in what’s considered the Philly market. I’d be pissed if I was a Phillies fan.

4. mike c says:

good timing, my road gray mattingly jersey just arrived in the mail… let’s go!

5. Steve O says:

That Mattingly highlight is one of my happiest moments as a Yankees fan also. I was at this game and never left my seat for all 15 innings. This was the first time the Yanks were in the playoffs in 14 years so there was some built up excitemen.
    We take he playoffs almost for granted now,but back in 1995 it was very special.

6. I have like no memories of 1995

• Dirty Pena says:

Game 5 was the first and last time I cried about a sporting event.

• bexarama says:

I threw my shoe at the wall. There’s still a mark there :/

• Kiersten says:

I had a math test the next day and told my teacher in the morning that I couldn’t take it cause I was too upset. He told me I couldn’t let this control my life.

Clearly, I listened to that advice.

• The BIG 3 says:

The thought of 4 straight titles not happening brought tears to your eyes?

Really?

Christ.

• Kiersten says:

Those of us with ponytails have higher estrogen levels and cry more easily. It’s why women shouldn’t be sports fans.

Christ.

• bexarama says:

It was a little more upsetting than that. Also I’m about as super “don’t react like a crazy person” as you can be, but telling people they shouldn’t have been upset because championships require luck is… eh, considering circumstances.

• The BIG 3 says:

Ok. I guess since I have a lower estrogen level I have a hard time relating to her statement. I was upset about that loss for about… until I woke up the next morning and realized, holy shit, unfortunate loss, but we’re still the best team in baseball, have won 4 titles in 6 years, but a fluke hit cost us another one. Shit happens.

• It was more than just the game, though. Mariano Rivera was my idol, and right after 9/11?

• Pat D says:

For me, 1995 was sad because, while I always preferred Winfield to Mattingly, I knew that was Mattingly’s last chance, so I was pretty upset.

2001 was a terrible year for me. I got dismissed from Notre Dame, 9/11 happened, taking classes at the local community college in hopes of getting back to Notre Dame fell apart because I got too depressed to really function, and then Game 7 happened. I don’t think I ever cursed as longly or loudly as I did that night.

7. A Gritty Dude's Gritty Dude says:

Congrats on your 1,000,000th comment RAB guys. It has been quite a run. I hate this whole primetime baseball thing on teh wknds. Give me day games!

8. Xstar7 says:

Anyone who knows of Mike Francesa and his antics will find these videos hilarious.

9. Jerome S. says:

This happened before I was born. I was born in 1996, so I unfortunately didn’t experience the dynasty.
    For all of our generation, I think 2009 stays in our memory as the most magical team we’ve seen, after of course the 2004 Red Sox.

10. mike c says:

and “the hit man” is also one of the best nicknames in baseball… mattingly was the best

11. Ben from Stanford says:

Man, that call was awesome. Who was announcing?

12. Craig says:

The guy who called Abbotts no no, is he the same guy who calls the Rays? Also, does anyone know a way to send condolences to Gary Carters family?

13. billy's bartender says:

never forget that homer. unfortunately the series ended with griffey flying around the bases on a shot down the line by edgar martinez. i remember the shot of griffey rounding second and left fielder dion james running in slow motion to field it. then a celebration at home plate right next to leyritz. devistation. then a dynasty!!

14. Kevin G. says:

So, I have Tex, Posada, and Jeter on my fantasy team. Do I sit Posada and Jeter so they dont get Felix’d? Im tempted to keep Jeter playing in case he BABIP’s his way to a hit.

15. Nickel says:

Boy…take a look at the brief glimpses of a young Derek Jeter and a young Jorge Posada. Who knew at the time what they would become.

16. Xstar7 says:

Has anyone else heard about Scottie Pippen calling Lebron James the greatest all-around basketball player ever? Personally I think it’s too early to say something like that. I mean, the numbers Michael Jordan put up in his prime with Chicago were scary. Both offensively and defensively.

• Jerome S. says:

HE CAN’T BE THE GREATEST! HE DOESN’T HAVE SIX CHAMPIONSHIPS!!

IT’S THE ONLY ARGUMENT I NEED, SEAN!!!!

• bonestock94 says:

Pippen sounds a tad bitter for not getting enough of the spotlight.

• BigBlueAL says:

Its not just perception though, advanced stats clearly prove that Jordan is the greatest ever. But if LeBron can win some rings his advanced stats are also through the roof and would probably make him the 2nd greatest ever behind Jordan but put him even better than guys like Magic and Bird (dont even bring up Kobe, he is nowhere near LeBron’s class let alone Jordan’s.)

In the end though LeBron’s rings will be looked at somewhat diminished because he had to go to Miami and play with Wade and Bosh I believe.

• CP says:

Yet noone questions that Jordan needed two HOFers to win his 6, or the fact the the team only got 3 wins worse when he retired the first time.

• BigBlueAL says:

You honestly think Scottie Pippen is a HOFer if he doesnt play on those Bulls teams?? Rodman was a great defensive player and rebounder obviously but by the time he got to the Bulls he was Jared Jeffries like offensively.

Pippen also was an amazing defender but he was an inefficient offensive player. Pippen also used to have some beyond God awful playoff games.

Wade wipes the floor with Pippen. Wade and LeBron are arguably the 2 best players in the NBA right now (Dwight Howard and Chris Paul might have something to say about that admittedly).

• Xstar7 says:

Dennis Rodman was only on the team for the second three-peat, but Scottie Pippen does deserve a lot of credit. Michael Jordan didn’t need those guys, he could’ve won championships without them. Just not as many. But Michael Jordan was the difference in many of those playoffs because that’s when he really shined. Did you know he never scored less than 20 points in any finals game he was in? Unreal.

• BigBlueAL says:

Horace Grant was better than Rodman during the first 3-peat than Rodman was during the 2nd 3-peat.

Look I think Pippen is terribly overrated (well maybe not overrated because many think he wasnt that great like myself) but he still was a very good player and an amazing defender. Offensively he just wasnt that good though. But yeah replace Pippen with any of a number of other real good players from that time and the Bulls have similar success.

• Xstar7 says:

Pippen was a great player. A HOF player. But he pales in comparison to Michael Jordan, who he played alongside for the better portion of his career.

• Xstar7 says:

Lebron ruined his legacy when he went to Miami. Many NBA fans see him as a villain now. Michael Jordan said himself that he would have never left his team to go play somewhere else. Being the greatest player in any sport involves more than just statistics. It’s the intangibles too. People admired Jordan for his fierce competitive spirit, always coming through in the clutch, and never giving in. He also wowed people with his incredible dunks, and that great jump shot. Lebron could win 10 championships with Miami and he still won’t be able to lick Michael Jordan’s feet.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

It’s completely possible. I think it’ll be close but MJ will take it in the end. Advanced stats have them close enough where that statement isn’t a joke as how others are saying it is.

This championship argument wants me want to facedesk.

• BigBlueAL says:

I think in basketball the championship argument is relevant unlike in baseball and football. 1 player in basketball can have an enormous impact unlike in the other 2 sports.

17. Pat D says:

No hitter alert in Minnesota.

18. kr says:

too bad broadcasting isn’t that enthusiastic anymore

• Xstar7 says:

“Fly ball, right field, maybe, it could be, back at the wall, GOOD BYE! HOME RUN! THE YANKEES WIN! JIM LEYRITZ, A 2-RUN HOMER IN THE FIFTEENTH INNING! YANKEES WIN 7-5!”

Good times

19. Ori says:

Can’t watch the video on the iPhone : (

20. Ori says:

Can’t watch the video on the iPhone

21. PagsRags says:

I was there- in the upper deck near the RF foul pole w/my Dad. Senior year of HS and my first playoff game. Actually, this was the first playoff series in my lifetime (I don’t count 1981 when I was 3). When Donnie hit that the place went absolutely bonkers- beers flying, strangers hugging. It was the highlight of my baseball fandom. I wish the clip showed more of the fan reaction- Lou had to pull the Mariners off the field because people were throwing beers, napkins, etc. The game ended in the 16th I think on a Jim Leyritz hit. In some ways it’s sad to see because I’m not sure New Yankee Stadium will ever get like that (partly b/c people aren’t on top of each other the way they are in older parks).

22. Mike says:

No matter how many times I watch this it still gives me goosebumps, I can’t imagine how the ovation is going to be in June when the Dodgers come to town and Mattingly comes out on the field